Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > What does he mean when he calls me a sweetheart?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 saphire_07
Msg: 1
What does he mean when he calls me a sweetheart?Page 1 of 1    
I checked the threads and this one wasn't on there as having been asked.

Ok so I met a guy and we're friends for now. He says I am such a sweetheart but that he isn't ready for a serious relationship right now. I guess I have two questions. Should I spend time with this guy and see if anything develops in time? and Is it really a bad thing that he thinks I am "sweetheart"?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
 petrarch2
Msg: 2
view profile
History
What does he mean when he calls me a sweetheart?
Posted: 2/25/2007 2:17:00 PM

he isn't ready for a serious relationship right now

Whether thats true or just a line to get rid of you, noting is going to develop, at least he doesn't think so.

Being a sweetheart isn't bad.... but its the same "like you as a friend".
 Eric48
Msg: 3
Posted: 2/25/2007 4:48:26 PM
saphire 07;

If he's not ready, he's not ready. You can make yourself available for him if you want to and hope something develops after a while ... but be prepared to have your sweetheart broken, if he ends up with someone else.

Sweetheart is a form of endearment, most commonly (and sometimes loosely) expressed by one who cherishes another.

You'll know it's serious when he starts calling you pookie wookie or snoogems.

David41070
Msg: 4
Posted: 2/25/2007 4:59:07 PM
Being a "sweetheart" is a good thing. Given the context of the situation you portray, I think that your friend would consider a relationship with you if not for whatever extraneous circumstance he claims is holding him back. You can hang around if you want and you might even build a nice friendship with him but you will have to watch out as you could open yourself to being used. On the other hand, you might build a nice relationship. I think it just depends on the level of attraction between the two of you.
 Creativguy
Msg: 5
Posted: 2/25/2007 5:05:06 PM
Isn't that a nice way to let you know he's not interested?
 Celtic Lassie36
Msg: 6
Posted: 2/25/2007 5:13:44 PM
I was dating a guy before Christmas that called me 'Baby', 'Sweetie' & 'Love' by the second date (lots of phone conversations & text messaging in between)...I thought it was amazing. But then he decided after the fourth date to go back to his cruel and manipulating (his description) ex-girlfriend.
So, obviously the words don't always accompany the feelings or vice versa. Good luck Sapphire. My advice is to be careful. Now I have a hard time letting my guard down, thanks to guys like this one.
 SuzyQ26
Msg: 7
Posted: 2/25/2007 9:02:51 PM
If he calls you sweetheart it's not bad... Thank him for being honest with you about the relationship thing...Spend time with him see what happens don't push just enjoy, date him get to know him..So many people just jump in with both feet take your time.. But don't give up on dating other people... leave yourself open and be honest with him... you don't have to kiss and tell but let him know... I am saying this because I am dating someone just like him for 4 months now and we get along great always happy to see each other and no pressure and we are really learning about each other...We are taking things slow.. we have both been burned and it has been nice learning about each other...slow. I think alot of him....And I know he thinks alot of me... A girl can tell.... be his friend and the rest will come if it is ment to be...
 TienLong
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 2/25/2007 10:42:35 PM
From the context it sounds like "sweetheart" is being used the same as when a woman tells a guy "you're a great guy but..."
 sarah_smile
Msg: 9
Posted: 2/25/2007 11:24:03 PM
OP:

Sadly (since you are interested) it seems *very* clear that he was trying to tell you very nicely that he is not interested, nor will be. 99.0% of the time, when both men and women are interested in someone very much they would try to have something work out, despite explaining that it is a difficult time in their lives. They'd share that with their partner in hopes it might be worked through within the context of the relationship.

Simply put - when someone is truly, deeply interested, they will usually not refuse the opportunity.

Best wishes
 sarah_smile
Msg: 10
Posted: 2/25/2007 11:27:27 PM
I didn't realize this was the "ask a guy" section!

Very sorry....
 e-wok
Msg: 11
Posted: 2/25/2007 11:31:31 PM
He'll be ready when the right one comes along.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > What does he mean when he calls me a sweetheart?