Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > Gender-bending...girls doing boystuff and boys doing girlstuff      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 naamah3incognito
Msg: 1
Gender-bending...girls doing boystuff and boys doing girlstuffPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I spent a chunk of the day doing "boy chores" today...mucking out the sheep shed, and treating fencelines with a 10L pack strapped on my back...and I was thinking about all the stuff I take care of these days that I never used to do when I had a husband. Pruning trees, brushcutting, building garden boxes and water features, hanging doors, putting up architraves, gapfilling, sharpening the chainsaw (use it too but that thing still scares me), pumping up tyres on the mower, cleaning gutters, sorting out snakes and spiders, stacking firewood, lifting 30kg feed bags into drums (for context: I'm about 45kgs myself)...and these days I recognise most of the weird handyman paraphanalia down in the workshop that was once so foreign to me, I can reprime the bore pump, disconnect and unblock plumbing, use all the power tools and change their assorted user changeable parts. And I thought...god I'm such a bloke!!!! (The facial hair isn't helping.) Funny thing is, I kind of like doing this stuff, which I would never have suspected back when I never had to do it.

So...I wondered....
If you're a female, what traditionally blokey stuff do you do?
And if you're a guy, what traditionally feminine stuff do you do? (and are willing to admit to...)
 1-800 you wish
Msg: 2
Gender-bending...girls doing boystuff and boys doing girlstuff
Posted: 3/3/2007 2:28:00 AM
Mow the lawn,clean the car(or just leave it filthy!!)and clean the gutters.
I do many other "blokey" things,but they are all revolting and for my eyes only......would never get a date again ever if i admitted to them in public.
 naamah3incognito
Msg: 3
Posted: 3/3/2007 3:10:01 AM
Sarah, are you doing your bit there to protect the girls are made of sugar and spice theory?
 rustymky
Msg: 4
Posted: 3/3/2007 3:26:43 AM
naamah3incognito........ Well what ever chemical was in the spray pack might explain your sudden facial hair growth.

Well im going to throw off the jackie howe and confess. I cook ,vaccum, mop, bake, sow, iron, seperate the whites from colours before i wash. Every couple of months i change the whole house around. I'm in a play group with other parents and i'm the only male( that is scary at times).

Well thats all im going to admit to .

But, i am still a MAN!!!!!!! who likes home made pumpkin scones

Faux Pa
Msg: 5
Posted: 3/3/2007 4:39:54 AM
Well, I sew and I cook. In fact I do the majority of cooking around here. You should have been here for the garlic prawns this evening. Yummmmm . . . say it though I shouldn't.

So far I've resisted the urge to go to Myer and try on lingerie.
 stormbay
Msg: 6
Posted: 3/3/2007 5:05:53 PM
I might be weird, but I've never seen any difference between what men and women do. Every lady I've been with, I've always encouraged to learn to do whatever is needed for our lives and future. Those that haven't shown interest and spent their time looking in the mirror and shopping, never lasted more than a couple of dates.

Myself, I do everything within and around the home and only see the difference between men and women in the biological side, which I love. But we all have the things we like to do most of all and lots of women tend to the nurturing side of relationships, whilst the men towards the physical material aspects. Its always good to see couples who are involved with each others ideas and showing interest. I like my ladies to look as though they are alive and inot life fully.
 naamah3incognito
Msg: 7
Posted: 3/3/2007 5:33:20 PM
Faux Pa... Myers wouldn't know how to handle you if you did indulge.

Fair point Stormbay, but physical limitations come into it surely? My arms have always been a bit kermit the frog and they infuriate me at times in what they won't do for me. I couldn't build muscle to match a male without a stupid amount of weightlifting and steroid taking. And my husband always left edges and trims for me to paint because of a better eye for detail. These would perhaps be considered fairly gender typical differences?

Plus, in some relationships there is sometimes male ego at play...one guy I dated a while back was here oneday when I was slamming star pickets into the ground, and he practically bumped me out of the way to take over, even though I was doing just fine and hadn't asked for help. I think he felt a bit redundant. I can imagine that might have an impact on creating or sustaining these standard gender-based chores within a couple.
 saltytowers
Msg: 8
Posted: 3/3/2007 5:41:07 PM
I tend to do whatever has to be done. Whether that be erecting a fence or doing fine bead work on an outfit.

If it has to be done it has to be done and someone has to do it. The someone, happens to be me. lol

I enjoy good food, so I cook good food.
I enjoy a woodfire, so I know how to use an axe.
I enjoy having things in good repair, so I learned how to do it.

About the only thing I am iffy about is handling chemicals. I dont use them myself and would rather someone else does if it has to be done.

And if there is a man around and a 50kg bag of something to be lifted........I'll get the wheelbarrow!

I enjoy working alongside my partner in things. Whether that be cooking or outside work.

And re above post and women who constantly preen themselves and not much else? There are a few guys I have met in the same category. Useless as tits on a bull and with half the common sense.

I think however you CAN have BOTH. I dont think any particular gender precludes you from many things.

There are two things I will talk a man into every time though.....cooking the BBQ and carving a roast. I mutilate a roast (It'll taste wonderful but dont expect those dainty slices on your plate) and I just dont have the knack to get everything finished on the BBQ at the same time.
 stormbay
Msg: 9
Posted: 3/3/2007 6:06:48 PM

Faux Pa... Myers wouldn't know how to handle you if you did indulge.

Fair point Stormbay, but physical limitations come into it surely? My arms have always been a bit kermit the frog and they infuriate me at times in what they won't do for me. I couldn't build muscle to match a male without a stupid amount of weightlifting and steroid taking. And my husband always left edges and trims for me to paint because of a better eye for detail. These would perhaps be considered fairly gender typical differences?

Plus, in some relationships there is sometimes male ego at play...one guy I dated a while back was here oneday when I was slamming star pickets into the ground, and he practically bumped me out of the way to take over, even though I was doing just fine and hadn't asked for help. I think he felt a bit redundant. I can imagine that might have an impact on creating or sustaining these standard gender-based chores within a couple.

That's true, there are physical limits, but ladies can crawl into area's of the boat where I can't get to and get their hands down holes that I can't, so it evens things out to a degree.

As to the bloke grabbing the post hole rammer out of your hand, I would've sat back and watched. I'm pretty good at watching others work and I really love watching women doing heavy yakka, very sexy indeed. There is male ego involved, but that's' only from inadequate men. I feel there is also female ego involved in some aspects of coupling, I just see it as equality. Your differences should be what brings you together so you can combine them and make for a better outcome in all you do.

I have close lady friend who is a brilliant chef, but almost fights me to do the hardest things on my boat and when she visits, she quizzes me about what I've been doing with biofuels, aquaponics and in the workshop. Not only that but she insists I teach her and I think that's a lovely compliment. She only calls upon me when she has things that are beyond her size, she's a little lady and in her mid 50's and is admired by all the men and lots of the women in our area.
 Tourette_Cowboy
Msg: 10
Posted: 3/3/2007 8:14:42 PM
I'll admit to sometimes sitting with my legs crossed & I have been known to watch Dancing with the Stars on occasions.
 Moofactory
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 3/5/2007 11:15:47 PM

sarah5028 on 3/3/2007 800 PM
I do many other "blokey" things,but they are all revolting and for my eyes only......would never get a date again ever if i admitted to them in public.

Oh I dono, I think id like you even more for being a little more like us boys
Go on tell me them

As for me im not worried about admitting to girly things I do, like for instance ive been cutting my own hair since i was 18.. (mum was a hairdresser and she got arthritis) and I refuse to pay for a hair cut when I know how to do it myself.

I cook sometimes, I make sushi at home too, I do the laundry, put out the washing on the line, clean the house sometimes, I have a bonsai i tend to when it needs it.

I used to take my ex girlfriend clothes shopping because she was terrible when it came to clothing, her mother used to buy her clothes so she tend to dress like a 50 year old woman lol. I trained her to wear clothing that is up to date and trendy that looks more her age.
 sailorsal
Msg: 12
Posted: 3/6/2007 6:36:33 AM
I must admit to being interested over the title of this post, just my warped mind I guess but i will confess to being happier with a paint brush than a hoover.

One of my more domesticated male friends rings me with his little home emergemcies, such as how to fix a leaky roof and what should he do with a leaking shower.

I guess im just not much of a domestic goddess given the choice. Amongst my past feats and abilities are stripping marine diesel engines, cornicing the ceiling from a picture in a magazine. rewiring parts of the house, installing a bathroom. etc etc.

Out of choice I would much rather a glass of chardonnay watching a gorgeous hunk while i fix something in the kitchen to keep him fuelled. but until such times i will just work it out myself and save the $$$$$.
 WavingNOTdrowning
Msg: 13
Posted: 3/6/2007 7:40:20 AM
Sometimes we do from necessity sometimes from desire just aslong as we do is all thats important.
At the birth of my youngest I left my career and became Mr Mum, It was a desire of mine aswell as a necessity as my wife had a good career being set up.
I cooked most of the time and the rest of the domestic stuff was not that much of an ordeal. The biggest eye opener was learning with my son and teaching him the skills he needed and myself learning about children.
 crustyold
Msg: 14
Posted: 3/5/2012 4:40:52 AM
i love watching a sweetie working in the yard

doing guy stuff............all sweatie & hot

i love too cook...............you can do great things with food

devil cake with cream

& the main meal......roast chicken, with everything
 redmnms
Msg: 15
Posted: 3/6/2012 4:11:52 AM
I drive a 4x4 ute...

All I want is a domesticated man who can cook and clean :D... and to not be called a lesbian. lol...
 crustyold
Msg: 16
Posted: 3/6/2012 4:14:16 PM
I drive a 4x4 ute...

All I want is a domesticated man who can cook and clean :D... and to not be called a lesbian. lol
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

now thats funny, do they make girlies like that too
 Timmahh88
Msg: 17
Posted: 3/6/2012 9:18:09 PM
Only real girly I do, is I don't mind shopping for clothes bahahaha.
 melty1
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 3/7/2012 1:13:18 AM
Well, heres some of the things I can do change sink washers on a hand basin, change car light bulbs, put cupboards together, drive long distances, chop wood, gardening and fishing
 Jewel_Of_Denial
Msg: 19
Posted: 3/7/2012 6:50:58 AM
nothing wrong with gender bending
 crustyold
Msg: 20
Posted: 3/8/2012 4:15:25 AM
Well, heres some of the things I can do change sink washers on a hand basin, change car light bulbs, put cupboards together, drive long distances, chop wood, gardening and fishing
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

& do really cool funny faces too......................gotta love that
 Hapkiddo
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2012 1:29:10 AM
I'm cool with cleaning the dunny and/or the shower recess, doing the laundry & ironing, cooking. It (and many other chores) is all called house-keeping. It is to be done by whoever lives in the house (irrespective of their sexual persuasion, if any).
 tensail
Msg: 22
Posted: 5/3/2012 10:52:45 PM
yes thanks 2 those ignorant feminists we n our socity is in a mess. n it wont get better or balanced again 4 a gen or 2.- thanks germaine- tim broke taylor was rite 2 ban her frm uni classes
 qldblue
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2012 4:09:56 AM
When I was in the army I was responsible for the way my uniforms were and for the condition of my room.

So that meant that I did my laundry, ironed my clothes, cleaned my room and when needed I taught young men how to iron and to clean their rooms.

We didn't have valets or maids.

These skills were not the work of feminists but something that we as soldiers had to do.

After I was married I learnt how and when to change our babies nappies.

I even taught my kids how to cook, do the laundry, clean house and iron, this is called teaching kids to be self sufficient so they could fend for themselves.

I have nephews and nieces who are adults who take their laundry home to mum to wash, I even have some brother in laws who stockpile their laundry till their wives get home.

Again these tasks are called life skills and sooner or later mummy and daddy won't be around to do these tasks for these adults.

Girls doing boys stuff or boys doing girl stuff isn't gender bending but more the skills they will need to survive life.

With some of the responses from some posters I think they aren't looking for a partner in life but more for some one to wipe their bums for them.
 tuloa942
Msg: 24
Posted: 5/6/2012 10:57:03 AM
Gender-bending? What is being talked about here is people pitching in to do what needs to be done. I prefer to not do the outside chores, but I do them. Heck, I don't like doing inside chores either! But they have to be done. I taught my sons how to do laundry and to cook so they can take care of themselves. I taught myself how to change tires, fix toilets, put furniture together and lots of other things, out of necessity and also so I could take pride in saying I did it myself. (I call AAA for the tire changes now, getting old! lol)

There is nothing wrong in learning to be self sufficient.

Now gender-bending as in cross-dressing, etc. there's nothing wrong with that either, just not my thing. Have fun!
 Sheridesmotox
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 5/7/2012 7:01:42 AM
I'm not a huge fan of the idea that there are "female" duties and "male" duties or that certain things should be classified as male spefic but i get the thread.

I ride/race motocross, its a male dominant sport. I train to fight Muay Thai which is also a male dominated sport and im processing into the military to be a combat engineer which is an extremely male specific role.

I probably should have been born a man... lmao because the only things female specific that i like are shopping for clothes (which in this age seems a mixed thing, so many metrosexual males) and getting my hair done (again, so many metrosexual males) and wearing heels when i hit the town.
Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > Gender-bending...girls doing boystuff and boys doing girlstuff