Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > POF, Privacy, and Google.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 yellowfrog
Msg: 1
view profile
History
POF, Privacy, and Google.Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I'm not wanting to disturb a hornet's nest here, but the last half hour has thrown up some serious concerns about the privacy of POF and other dating sites.

I was bored, and thought I'd Google my username for a laugh, just to see if anything for me appeared in the results. I was quite shocked to find that two of the results on the first page were links to my profile and to a list of all of my forum posts on here. Being a bit of a nerd, I had to extend the experiment using some of my favourites, to reduce the margin of error in the results, and in 5 out of the six usernames I searched on, there were links to POF on the first page, as well as a couple of links to L00py Love.

Not good, especially if you're married and looking for a bit of fluff. Might be a good idea to delete your profile if you fall into that category
 Laneyxxx
Msg: 2
POF, Privacy, and Google.
Posted: 3/7/2007 3:20:43 PM
lol no need to delete ur profile, Just change ur name!

I have an alter ego tho, My User name is Laneyxxx (which is my nick name, but I am not telling you why!!!)

But My name is Reanne!

So I just use Laneyxxx and then at least the police/ or whoever wont find out

lol

VVVV lol thanks for that Yellow frog, I ant on connecting singles tho... and www.laneyxxx.com isn't my website :S

oh well!
 yellowfrog
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 3/7/2007 3:24:04 PM
You, on here, are the top three results:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=Laneyxxx&btnG=Search&meta=
 Ladyjaxx007
Msg: 4
Posted: 3/7/2007 3:27:40 PM
Bloody hell!! I've just checked out my name, and there it is, for all to see.

Thank God I don't put stuff that is too personal on my forum posts.
 *Demeter*
Msg: 5
Posted: 3/7/2007 3:34:06 PM
That is actually quite interesting, I've just googled my user name and I appear at the top of the page also..woo hoo!!

I do know that the results that appear at the top of the first page of a google search are there as they are the most frequently searched for or at least clicked on as in a popular search, something like that anyway.

If you want to avoid being caught out, you would have to think of a name nobody would suspect was yours and if you want to be doubly sure that you will never be discovered you should pick a name that is quite common and maybe you will be more than five page away from the first page and hopefully nobody would be bothered searching that far to "catch you out" so to speak.

Edit: Msg 7 ...Dogpile is a good multiple search engine too.
 Puddles-at-work
Msg: 6
Posted: 3/7/2007 3:41:47 PM
Me too! and my book crossing account Wow! I am famous, the meet is showing too!

At least my written and photo blog are under a different name!

Mind you there is no one to catch me out so I guess I am home free............. and there was me getting all set to get worked up about being caught out cheating.... bugger there is another thing you can't do when single!
 MarriedGeek
Msg: 7
Posted: 3/7/2007 3:43:42 PM
I'm not suprised PoF is all over Google

The site owner has in the past had a nice big cheque for CN$900,000
keerrrching

google & msn search seem to have searchlinks going the deepest

geektip: to seach multiple engines at once use http://www.metacrawler.com
 andyaa
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 3/7/2007 3:48:09 PM
Why does ever1 on here seem to find things back to front. I joined here because of google. I was quite happy googlin around trying to find out somthing about ,, well cant remember now and I found this forum, I wanted to post somthing so had to join. You will find that these sites use lots of meta tags, almost into the spam region so will get to the top of most search engines. People seem to use the internet as if its their private gateway to the world, when in fact it can lead people into a false sence of security. You might say somthin in here which will be read by a much bigger audience.

Like they always say a little knowledge is dangerous!
 aniluv333
Msg: 9
Posted: 3/7/2007 4:08:37 PM
Google eh??

I have not yet googled me sen but if I was a top on the list with me profile on tow I am sure I would be snapped up in a nanno...

On a serious note I am glad the OT has bought this to my attention...

Bit scary to think that we are part of a markteting ploy??

Yes, we all have our profile
Some of us poffers are brave enough to do pics too..
Some of the more stwange ones *coughs* maybe married dont

I always thought the google just gave the link to the site???
Not the profiles???
 The Tactile Guy
Msg: 10
Posted: 3/7/2007 4:31:31 PM
This has been common knowledge ever since I've been on this site & has been discussed before.

If you have nothing to hide then you have nothing to fear!!!

To Ladyjax in msg 4: Remember this is the internet, ie. the WOLRD WIDE web!
 Silver Surfer
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 3/7/2007 4:52:34 PM

lol no need to delete ur profile, Just change ur name!

That worked for me.... I was amazed to see myself at the top of the page so with a quick change to something popular.....it worked !!!!!..... I couldn't find me anymore... it went on forever......so I'm now nicely tucked away somewhere....
 the british lion
Msg: 12
Posted: 3/7/2007 5:08:10 PM

Well I just tried to google me and I had to go back 12 pages

Seems to be a far more important things than my posts lol
 VioletSkye
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 3/7/2007 8:31:15 PM
It is all about the money and turning info over to Google and other search engines for big bucks.

Sucks big time.
 Punkinpie74
Msg: 14
Posted: 3/7/2007 11:57:10 PM
Oh my god I just googled myself lol and there I was top of the page, and the first page I came to as well, wow.
 Lexi31
Msg: 15
Posted: 3/8/2007 12:09:37 AM
I googled my user name now and the one i used to use and both led me to here and the other to another site too... i use a different name on another site and that didnt show up on google...why do some show and not others?
 *Jamazing*
Msg: 16
Posted: 3/8/2007 12:38:31 AM
Well I just googled janrookie and there is me and only me!!!!

Singing - 'I AM THE ONE AND ONLY' !!!!!

Nothing to hide, so nothing for me to worry about. Only think I am upset about is that it is obvious that nobody has 'googled' me!!! Oer missus!!
 pink13********
Msg: 17
Posted: 3/8/2007 12:39:35 AM
well i wasnt sure whether you google your real name or your pof name so i did both and it came up with nothing for both so does that mean that my husband and 8 kids wont find me out,

or does it mean cos i have no pic and nothing interesting to say im not worth the web space
 midlandstaurus33
Msg: 18
Posted: 3/8/2007 1:03:14 AM
Yeah i knew of this ages ago.

It brought up my name here, and also my website (until i took it off, someone kindly told me that to advertise my website on here, is a ban ...although i'd had the website on my page on my profile...since last year!!). But i'm not too fussed about it really. I've got nothing to hide.

I know people who have caught cheating partners out, by googling stuff lol god it's handy lmao

andyaa
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 3/8/2007 1:26:52 AM
MSG 13:

It is all about the money and turning info over to Google and other search engines for big bucks.

Sucks big time.

Actually its nothing to do with advertising and big bucks. Web sites use somthin called meta tags which the search engines pick up on to list the pages,, the more meta tags the higher the listing in theory. There are other tricks to get higher listings. The money is made by google if POF uses the sponsor bit which is premium if you click through this but i dont think they do. POF make money by things like you see on the im which flash across the bottom an advertising banner.

MSG 16:

well done you are a googlewack, 1 reply from a search request. Actually I know this is inacurate as you need two words, but give me a break its close enough
 *Jamazing*
Msg: 20
Posted: 3/8/2007 1:34:56 AM
MSG 16:

well done you are a googlewack, 1 reply from a search request

Oh another thing off my list of things to do before I lose my mind!!!!

Oops, too late!

I have always wanted to be a 'googlewack' - I think!!! (looks puzzled and takes another pill)
 Leece
Msg: 21
Posted: 3/8/2007 1:35:17 AM
Oh my lord, I've discovered I am a town... how scarey is that... I even have a museum... I knew I was getting old, birthday yesterday to remind me but FFS... I am not quite a museum piece yet LOL
 tlcrequired
Msg: 22
Posted: 3/8/2007 1:35:32 AM
Another scary twist to this, i googled both my daughters names and at the top of the search list on both occassions were direct links to their bebo pages, which they had unwittingly put on public display

When i told my friend, she had similar experience, but found out about it when her 17 year old daughter acquired a 25 year old stalker, who even knew where she went for lunch because of innocent remarks made on her bebo page.......
 pink13********
Msg: 23
Posted: 3/8/2007 1:40:00 AM
omg obviously didnt do it right the first time as i just tried again, and im the only one on the page, not that im really bothered nothing to hide and i have no pic up anyway if i had,

i actually found out about a player on here by googleing his real name (that he had given me doh) he was a right wierdo and full of lies but forgot we were on the world wide web
hes still on here though and still playing the ladies with his tales mmmmmmm
 lovelyjubley
Msg: 24
Posted: 3/8/2007 2:03:30 AM
Oh my god lol....ive been googled
 lovelyjubley
Msg: 25
Posted: 3/8/2007 2:19:03 AM
Oh my god lol....ive been googled........this is just an echo!! lol
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > POF, Privacy, and Google.