Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > Suggestion: feature to hide profile from non-users      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 shryko
Msg: 1
Suggestion: feature to hide profile from non-usersPage 1 of 1    
this could be done fairly easily, as there's most of the parts in place in the back-end...

the main reason I'm bringing this up is because I got a message from my ex, asking me to change my username as a basic human courtesy, so she wouldn't be reminded of what happened between us (things didn't go well, and there were complications... feel free to ask me about it if you *really* want to know...)

now, I don't feel that it's fair for her to ask me to just give up my username which I use everywhere just so that she can happily go about her business... however, I know that she's not a user on PoF, and I do think it is fair to do *something* that would be a compromise. unfortunately, her not being a user means we couldn't just block the other person, and that leaves me with 2 options: do nothing, or lose this account...

feel free to message me if you've got questions, and I'll admit I don't get to the forums too often, because of school work and the rest of the stuff I participate in. (University doesn't help with the work very much, of course)
 shryko
Msg: 2
Suggestion: feature to hide profile from non-users
Posted: 4/3/2007 2:49:49 PM
I meant block my profile... as in filter me out of the search results...

not block the site... that wouldn't be fair to people in general.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 4/3/2007 4:03:48 PM
shyrko, you *already* can hide your profile from non-registered users. Also, when hidden, it won't show up in searches, though it will show up to a signed-in user if they click your name on a forum post. The button is right at the top right of the edit profile page.

shryko
Msg: 4
Posted: 4/5/2007 10:01:05 AM
While I appreciate your pointing out the features, there is one critical difference between those features and what I am suggestion.

I only want to hide the profile from unregistered users, the current hide profile feature hides the profile from everyone.

and trappedonbayst. I *did* read that thread. I am aware of the fact that there are rules, and there are procedures. I was very careful to search for any threads which were similar, and I found none which mentioned what I was after...
 yayawhatever
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2007 12:44:35 PM

now, I don't feel that it's fair for her to ask me to just give up my username which I use everywhere just so that she can happily go about her business... however, I know that she's not a user on PoF, and I do think it is fair to do *something* that would be a compromise. unfortunately, her not being a user means we couldn't just block the other person, and that leaves me with 2 options: do nothing, or lose this account...

It isn't fair for her to ask you to give up your username. So don't!

How do you know she is not a user? She could be or have friends that are. This site is very well used.

You can't block another user unless they contact you, and they would still be able to see your postings and your profile, just not be able to contact you.

It might be more simple to block her on all other fronts to keep her from contacting you rather than asking a site to change the way it does things to suit her.

She can google your username and find this thread by the way, and it sounds like she went looking for you anyway, so she is bound to see this and get the point.

*Just my 2 cents.
 JustAChildLikeMe
Msg: 6
Posted: 4/5/2007 1:44:34 PM
I only want to hide the profile from unregistered users, the current hide profile feature hides the profile from everyone.

I would like to know how the hee haw you would expect to block an UNREGISTERED USER without barring the entire IP address.

Hide your profile then she cannot find it or better yet don't tell her the user name. It is her issue with your past and not yours.

JMHO.
 Jillian917
Msg: 7
Posted: 1/12/2011 8:26:37 AM
I have been looking for the same thing. I'm sure it can be done, instead of hiding your profile from everyone, hide your profile from users NOT LOGGED IN, therefore they would need an account to see your profile. So far I haven't seen this option anywhere unfortunately.
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > Suggestion: feature to hide profile from non-users