Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Anorexia      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 -LIL-
Msg: 1
AnorexiaPage 1 of 1    
There's a girl that goes to the gym I use, I think she goes every day. She is extremely thin, & her antics are odd. She will spend an age doing crunches, continually lifting her T-shirt up to look at her stomach, which concaves alamingly she digs her fingers into her abdomenen over & over & is continually checking her weight during her gym session. I don't know how long she works out for, she's there when I arrive, & still there when I leave.
Her complexion is pasty, & she looks generally very unwell. The staff have mentioned they keep finding vomit in the bins but haven't caught anyone.

I spoke to the manager about it today, I think it's their duty to intervene. She said there is nothing they can do...I understand they are not qualified to diagnose a mental health problem...but are they right to ignore it & therefore enable an illness that could lead to death?

Your thoughts?
 *~*Posh*~*
Msg: 2
Anorexia
Posted: 4/24/2007 11:01:38 AM
only that you could poimt out to the manager, that if she collapses there it will be bad publicity, and a lot of explaining, staff do have an onus on them to check their clients are in good health ..
 Sue Perlative
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Anorexia
Posted: 4/24/2007 11:04:57 AM
The gym cannot do anything but restrict her access to the gym if she is caught. What you mentioned is not anorexia, but bulimia. Anorexia is the process of not wanting to eat...either because you're not hungry or you want to lose weight, but when you do eat you are NOT compelled to throw up. That's anorexia! I've suffered from that for 1 year. Not pretty...and neither is bulimia.
 sprite57
Msg: 4
Anorexia
Posted: 4/24/2007 11:05:03 AM
If there's vomit in the bins she could be bulimic (spelling?). Whichever one it is they are the most destructive diseases as I believe no matter how much weight they lose they still see themselves as fat.

To see someone you love waste away before your eyes must be one of the worst experiences. Its like any addictive behaviour they have to admit there's a problem before it can be cured.
 ~Missy~H
Msg: 5
Anorexia
Posted: 4/24/2007 11:06:59 AM
Hmm difficult subject really.

There's nothing they can do really. Her eating disorder is nothing to do with them, and even if they approached her. She could leave and join another gym.

I don't think it's the gyms fault if she does continue and eventually die.

If she has an eating disorder, it should be her family and friends, work colleagues who know her that are trying to help her. Not strangers in a gym.

And has she definitely got an eating disorder, maybe she's naturally thin. It doesn't sound like it, but you never know.
 nigel42
Msg: 6
Anorexia
Posted: 4/24/2007 11:20:09 AM
Not sure about this and I'm sure some legel eagle will put me right but think they could act using "Duty of care" as an excuse. They only need to be of an opinion that what she is doing is bad for her and they can act.
 Punkinpie74
Msg: 7
Anorexia
Posted: 4/24/2007 11:25:14 AM
The problem you have with eating disorders, is unless the person who has the illness admits they have one, there really isn't much that can be done except hospital admission where they will be fed intravenously and sent to counciling, i can see why you are concerned, but there is not a lot the gym can do unfortunatly, in saying that if there is vomit, she could suffer from both bullima(spelling) and anerxia.
 MiltonDG
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Anorexia
Posted: 4/24/2007 11:51:53 AM
This is a terrible disease, I know of 3 people who have died because of it. Thing is they will not listen to anyone, what they believe is what they believe
 *jezebel*
Msg: 9
Anorexia
Posted: 4/24/2007 12:11:00 PM
Why don't you suggest that they stick up signs on the gym walls saying "No vomiting in bins" ? It might also be a good idea if they have TVs in the gym to stick up educational videos on the harm that anoerexia nervosa and bulimia do to your body, instead of the usual music videos. When this woman is around, people can talk about the ill effects of putting your body through the ravages of over-exercising and starvation, then invite her to join the conversation to offer her opinion.
 pippaxxx
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Anorexia
Posted: 4/24/2007 12:12:28 PM
I was anorexic from Oct 1997 till 2000, I went from 9 stone to 7 stone 2.

I still suffer from some sort ofbody/size image problem.

I really dont think anything you will say will make any difference, as I know it didnt make any difference to me - only I sorted myself out!! and by 2000 I was 7 stone 11, then upto 8.4.

I just hope she sorts hereself out before her heart suffers, as thats what is under strain!
 Cachot
Msg: 11
Anorexia
Posted: 4/24/2007 12:16:37 PM
My ex was an ex-anorexic, she displayed all the same signs, although she ate because she knew she had to. I agree with Dave, it doesn't matter what you say to someone in that situation, they will not listen. The gymn can try and keep an eye on her, but ultimately its down to her family.
 velvetkitten
Msg: 12
Anorexia
Posted: 4/24/2007 12:43:52 PM
My only thought that hasnt been posted yet is... you've talked to the manger.. he says there is nothing they can really do...
Is this a Gym that takes information of each client ? If so why not suggest that the manager contact her emergancy contact.
 daz0010
Msg: 13
Anorexia
Posted: 4/24/2007 12:53:15 PM
i dunno bout this one and if she is anorexic as again it does sound like that bulimia. And i know what it is like to be anorexic as i kinda am. i dont eat and when i do i feel ill. I eat about once a day if that but i dont stick my fingers down my throat kinda thing. i am under weight atm and am having to go to the doctors 2morow as im gettin worse and worse. im 5,10 and only weight 9 stone so im not an extreme one lol. But i have been for about 2 years now and its time i did something i also cant stand the taste or look of food as that also makes me feel ill . Boy do i waffle on lol n e way back to the thread i dunno about her but skinny is always a good thing i surpose.
 shoedesigner
Msg: 14
Anorexia
Posted: 4/24/2007 1:24:01 PM
at my university, there is hardly a toilet in it that does not have vomit in any given loo any time of the day. i find it extremly worrying. having worked with adolescent anorexics, i can say that it is an extreme condition and extremely complex and i would imagine that there is not much (as a voyeur) you or the gym can do to help or prevent the situation. if you approach her, you will confirm her feelings of self disgust and many many more i wont go into now, if the management bar her, she will seek somewhere else.

how much time do you have in your life????, perhaps you could try to befriend her if the situation is causing you some greif, i would always stick my beak in rather than say nothing.
 Fernilee
Msg: 15
Anorexia
Posted: 4/24/2007 1:36:13 PM

but skinny is always a good thing i surpose.

you suppose completely and utterly wrong, young man!!
you have all the classic signs of anorexia, and if you are displaying these symptoms you've written above then you need to look into it. Not that the 9st @ 5'10" is that bad, but the fact that you say yourself that you can't stand the taste or look of food!.

One of the key causes of anorexia is the desire to have ultimate control whilst all around the sufferer everything appears to be completely out of their control. Stress and a fear of maturing into an adult can also trigger it ( keeping the body childlike as a denial of maturation).

OT: Lil, unless you befriend that girl or even casually ask her if she's ok, there's no way you can help her. Anorexia is a selfish illness, and by the time it's got to 'too far' the sufferer is mentally incapable (due to lack of certain vital minerals and proteins feeding the brain) of rationalising or seeing themselves for how they really look.
 Arse_Potatoes
Msg: 16
Anorexia
Posted: 4/24/2007 2:32:00 PM

The staff have mentioned they keep finding vomit in the bins but haven't caught anyone.

You could suggest that they try removing the bins but failing that, just follow her in the toilet and see if there's any substance in her stools
 AngelCakes85
Msg: 17
Anorexia Dating - Male seeks female
Posted: 3/27/2012 1:49:59 PM
Erm what about just stating you want someone slim instead of seeking out someone with a mental health condition and eating disorder or do you have some fetish about women who are starving themselves with sticky out bones, they aren't just slim they are ILL!!

Last thing they need is a man telling them it is ok to starve because he wants them to stay like that. Nutter.
 sprite1950
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 3/27/2012 1:51:21 PM
As I said in my previous post on your thread which was deleted, there is something rather odd about wanting to date an anorexic if you arent yourself when there are plenty of healthy slim people about. These people are seriously ill not just watching their weight.
 Cinderfreakinella
Msg: 19
Posted: 3/27/2012 1:52:52 PM
MSG 17...you just started your own thread, which was immediately voted off and deleted, with exactly the same post...apart from signing off as Michael...cant make your mind up what your name is tonight?
 helen1981
Msg: 20
Anorexia
Posted: 3/27/2012 2:23:32 PM
My advise would be to find out as much as you can about the support available for anorexia/bulimia and as much as you can about the disease then talk to the girl. Either befriend her and a few weeks down the line bring it up or just come straight out with it. She may not respond well to this and may get angry but at least you would have tried. Also maybe give her your number and say she can get in touch if she wants to talk. It may have little success at working but at least you would have tried.

I'm not an expert and it might be worth phoning up or emailing a support line and asking their advise on the situation there are some numbers on this link
http://www.supportline.org.uk/problems/anorexia.php

Hope that helps.
 SwanSpirit
Msg: 21
Anorexia
Posted: 3/27/2012 2:27:06 PM
Helen I think he's looking for someone with anorexia to date.
 helen1981
Msg: 22
Anorexia
Posted: 3/27/2012 2:37:07 PM
Well I wan replying to the op. Is the op looking for someone to date. I'm confused.

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
ah I see I rarely look at the dates on threads thanks for the information.
 mercury_man
Msg: 23
Anorexia
Posted: 3/27/2012 3:02:05 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^ The thread has been brought back by someone who wants to fvck sick women.
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Anorexia