Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Prince Edward Island  > Local Sayings/Expressions      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 newlyBemused
Msg: 1
Local Sayings/ExpressionsPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Okay, I've heard people use expressions that I'm just not familiar with and when they've explained what they meant I realized "it's a local thing". Local as in PEI mostly but sometimes a Maritime Canada saying.

The first time I can remember being taken in by a saying was when I was little and my dad said he was going to "go see a man about a dog" .. we were driving somewhere and he stopped the car and hopped over a low hedge and disappeared for a while. When I saw him coming back I was really disappointed because he didn't have a dog with him!!
He'd gone to take wee behind a bush. Anyway, that was the first time I remember hearing an expression that totally confused me but I later learned to just accept as being another way of saying something else.

So .. let's get her started. Bring 'em on.
 -mara-
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Local Sayings/Expressions
Posted: 4/27/2007 4:12:37 PM
One of my favorites is the expression "storm stayed". When you hear it you easily understand what it means, but I only ever heard it used on PEI.
 ripleysfrisbee1
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 4/28/2007 9:05:13 AM
I hail from the Miramichi Region in New Brunswick (not the city) which runs approximately 220 km through the middle of the province and each local area seems to have its little unique local sayings, in fact we even have our own published dictionary, which is quite entertaining. Here are a few of my favourites!

The usual greeting that is said to someone is "how's she going" and the expected answer is "the very best!" ... it is also a secret test to see if someone is really from the Miramichi ( or "Chi").

Another one I absolutely love is "give er' dogwater" , which is very local to my hometown area of Blissfield. It would be something you would say to someone to drive faster....something I would have said to Justentyme had I been with them during the "drag race" with the little honda on the way back from Moncton ha ha ha!!!

Something else I've really noticed about there is the use of the "double negative" in common language, such as "you don't never want to do that ever again!".

"Hello fer" is another good one that I like. It means a lot of or plenty, such as "hello fer salmon in the river" when the fishing is good.

I'll add some more as I remember them, enjoy!
 singleislander
Msg: 4
Posted: 4/28/2007 10:33:05 AM
These are not my favorites, but ones that are said here that make me cringe. Words like Warsh instead of wash and slippy instead of slippery. One thing we do that I am not sure if its an island thing is instead of saying yes, we inhale, much like the newer DQ flamethrower commercial and make pitched yeh noise. the louder and the more times its said, the more definate the answer is
 ripleysfrisbee1
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 4/28/2007 8:28:51 PM
LOL I must admit I got a kick out of the word "warsh" as I had a teacher from PEI in my hometown in NB. He always said "warsh" and it was the first saying that I noticed when I came here.
 -mara-
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 4/29/2007 4:22:59 PM
Another one I like is not so much an expression as it is a statement. People who are living on but not from PEI are considered "from away". I just love that one! It's so clearly expressive of how Islanders thought in the past. PEI, or any island, was seperate from the rest of Canada for so long, and developed a thought process about their own world. It's a very special place, with such a rich and lively history. From the fox fur trade to rum running. I loved living there, and am so glad to still be so connected with that tiny and beautiful province.
 Therese2007
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 4/30/2007 12:09:34 PM
Well now....PEI sayings...ok...let me see. Warsh...I dont know if I say that..Im sure I have....Roads are slippy..yup guilty...still use that one. From Away...oh yeah.

Ones I remember

Like a pigs a*** I will
Drive that inta ya and get to bed!!! (used in Tignish)
My ex used to say..."It's better than a kick in the a*** with a frozen muckluck".
Hows your belly where the pig bit cha?
If I have to get up!!!!!
Very Best (Tignish or west)
Djeet yet? No djou? my fav. (did you eat yet...no did you)
its the whatcha doin.....ain't.......couldcha....dialect that gives us away.

I was told one time that we sound like we are from Texas...
 fallenangel!
Msg: 8
Posted: 4/30/2007 12:39:54 PM
Uglier then a brush wire fence.
God luv ya.
Oh my nerves.

Not sure if there Islanding say's but funny just the same lol.

Still saying my post isn't long enough.Here goes sorry everyone...............................
..............................................................................................................................
.........................................................................................................................
..........................................................................................................................
 newlyBemused
Msg: 9
Posted: 4/30/2007 2:58:11 PM
"get away with ya"
"how are youse"
"howshe going"
"howya doing"
I've heard:
warsh,
woife,
bye (for boy),
fillum (film),
some greasy, some wet, some hot - in fact pretty well anything with 'some' in front of it
shack wacky (where I used to live we called it "cabin fever")

and someone had mentioned the inhale "yes" .. that's pretty hard to do on purpose for a non-Islander, like me, lol but my kids have caught me doing it when I wasn't thinking.

oh the first Island expression I ever heard was "spud buzz" ..
 ripleysfrisbee1
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 4/30/2007 6:05:03 PM
Where I come from we use the word "lad or lads" instead of guy or man. Maybe its my irish heritage, but its very local to the Miramichi area, and when I lived in other places in NB they would always notice that I would say "lad". I think I tend to use it now because I know its different and more unique...plus it gives away where I'm from :)
 ripleysfrisbee1
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 4/30/2007 6:29:06 PM
Another one that I use is "he's quite a captain" , it refers to someone who is very witty, or mischevious, or just a real "character" in general....I think I've met quite a few captains since I've moved here lol.
 newlyBemused
Msg: 12
Posted: 5/1/2007 2:28:52 PM
did someone say captain? lol just teasing you. ripleysfrisbee, you mean you've met more than the one I introduced you to at the dance?

back to the subject.

Where I grew up Lunch was the meal in the middle of the day and the late night snack was a bedtime snack. Here it seems lunch is a bed time snack as well. Confused some?
 ripleysfrisbee1
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 5/1/2007 6:12:32 PM
LOL .... good one Lalalila! I think that captain has top top ranking!!! ;)
 peiromantic
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 5/2/2007 4:28:54 AM
Dinner is always the one that confuses me!! Some people, I think more the country folk or those who were raised in the country, have "dinner" at noon and "supper" in the evening. Others have "lunch" at noon and "dinner" in the evening. So when someone says "come over for dinner Saturday you better check which time!!
 eldiel
Msg: 15
Posted: 5/10/2007 1:56:01 PM
omgosh yes! my dad noticed that years ago and thot there was something wrong with me cuz i was always sucking in breath to say yes....too funny! never thot i would pick that little quirk up but hey...and eh is another one....it took years but i say it now all the time!
 ilsefly
Msg: 16
Posted: 6/3/2007 1:13:42 AM
Okay, yesterday I heard this for the first time time ever "great day to set a hen"
I was floored, set a hen? What the hell is that supposed to mean? Apparently just a nice day out.
Also to add to colour, "so hungry could eat the arse off a skunk " eat

( hope to never be that hungry)

DL
 dimplelips
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 6/3/2007 1:22:24 AM
hmmm, off topic but pertinent..when posting on someone else's computer one should ensure they are under the correct name before posting...and that would be a memo to myself.
Happy Sunday everyone.

DL
 newlyBemused
Msg: 18
Posted: 6/3/2007 4:06:27 AM
"git away with ya" dimplelipskin. Maybe you should get some sleep when you go to bed?
Isn't it just a glorious morning? Oh wait, I typed too slow, it's clouding over. giggle.
 AT specialed9999
Msg: 19
Posted: 6/3/2007 6:38:45 AM
Havent laughed so hard in a long time.This thread is hilarious.
RIDE ON EDDY!
 trueblueredhead
Msg: 20
Posted: 6/3/2007 8:18:03 AM
"it won't be the story in the morning." (said most nights by my dad, when we tried to stay up late)

"See you in the funny papers" (something to do with comics, not sure what he meant by it)

for to........as in I'm goin to town for to get some milk

fair to middlin (and then dad would add, "with a couple bags of middlins!) his response to how are ya?? I'm fair to middlin

as nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rockin chairs

Someone ought to write a book with Maritime sayings, I'd buy it m'dear

Cheers (sociable)
 cindy68
Msg: 21
Posted: 6/3/2007 8:51:53 AM
Two words..."lay" "N" "lodge" = "ladged" ((thinking that's how it would spell...One of my favorites......

C68
 island_damsel
Msg: 22
Posted: 6/3/2007 2:51:44 PM
My twin sister and I always used to hear, when asking our parents countless times to "Guess what!?!?"....

Cold water's not hot,
you're a fool and I'm not,
Up a wire,
down a tree,
you're a bigger fool than me!

Now I'm saying it to my kids.... just wondering if anyone else might have heard this growing up on the Island?
 peiromantic
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 6/4/2007 7:42:26 AM
In response to: "it won't be long now", my Dad used to say: "that's what the monkey said when he backed into the lawn mower!!"

but in response to his oft said: "you won't harrow the ground that I plowed" - I would reply with - "But, Dad, we are in different fields!!"

if we slacked off or made a mistake he would say "hard to get good help" - but when I started responding "yeah, hard to keep it, too" he would shut up
 110Percent
Msg: 24
Posted: 6/4/2007 8:46:25 PM
"Sure was slippy on dem libary steps, b'y!" "Fell on me arse and had ta worsh me gumrubbers too!"
 rebel2164
Msg: 25
Posted: 10/23/2011 1:14:18 PM
i am a proud islander,as my grandfather and great grandfather were original rum runners,long live the nelly j banks(her memory).
Show ALL Forums  > Prince Edward Island  > Local Sayings/Expressions