Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > The Dumbest Thing You've Ever Done For Love...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Genrae
Msg: 1
The Dumbest Thing You've Ever Done For Love...Page 1 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
Often times in the name of love we do some pretty stupid things.

What's is the dumbest thing that you've ever done for love, how did it turn out, what were the consequences, and are you still with that person? Given the circumstances, would you do it again?
 writerlychik
Msg: 2
The Dumbest Thing You've Ever Done For Love...
Posted: 4/27/2007 9:40:52 PM
I don't regret this 'cos I hated it anyway, but, when I was with my ex, early on in the relationship, I moved from the small community where he lived, back to my mom's (a 2 hr. drive) to get a job; I found one in a liquor store and was there for maybe a week when my ex tells me he's upset by our separation 'cos I'm in town and he's out there and neither of us had a vehicle to see each other regularly and he's not liking it and thinks maybe we shouldn't be together if we can't be "together" all the time....

So I panicked and despite being scheduled for the weekend, I called my boss to say I had a family emergency just so I can take the bus out to where my ex lived... well, needless to say, I was fired on-the-spot, and she tried to hold back my pay cheque, which was illegal and I told her so, but she made me wait all day to pick it up (biyatch) but it was a crap job, having to ring purchases in while keeping an eye on Joe Shmoe down the aisle to make sure he doesn't nick the bottle of Sambuca--what does it look like I've got eyes on the sides of my head?! Bloody eejits...

But what a fool I was--I made all the bloody sacrifices for some sack o' shite man who left me at home all the time to go and party with his equally sack o' shitey mates!! And continued to the day I decided I'd had enough

Good, bloody riddance I say!!
 tdh46
Msg: 3
Posted: 4/27/2007 9:47:52 PM
I stayed in a relationship with an alcoholic for 5 years hoping i could make her see the light. When i finally ended it i felt just so damn guilty, she was pretty much lost without me. But you can't help someone if they don't want to help themselves.

No Raerae i would never go through that again nor would i wish those 5 years on my worst enemy.
 Bashert
Msg: 4
Posted: 4/27/2007 9:52:36 PM
About seven years ago I fell head over heels for a waitress that started working at a pub that I frequented. Its the only time I've ever experienced "love at first sight". She possesed an undefinable quality. We got to know each other in a casual manner over several weeks. At some point I asked her out on a date. She declined stating that she had a strict policy against dating customers. I told her that if she agreed to go out with me I would never set foot in that pub again. She found that amusing but there was no date to be had.

I got busy and some time had passed since the last time I was at the pub. This was just before Christmas. So, in my infinite wisdom I decided to get her a present. I purchased a pair of women's skates and wrapped them up with a hand written coupon for one free skating lesson with me at a local ice rink. I went to the pub with the Christmas present and asked if she would be working that night or on the weekend. My intention was to leave it with the head bartender to pass on to her as a surprise. She informed that this angelic woman no longer worked there. She also noticed that I had this gift with me and knew that I was fond of that particular waitress. It was an awkward moment. I left the pub with the present under my arm feeling disappointed. I never did see her again.

I'm not sure if this qualifies as a dumb thing to do for love but I remember feeling pretty foolish about it.

btw, I still have the wrapped Christmas present in my closet seven years later. How sad is that?
 Genrae
Msg: 5
Posted: 4/27/2007 9:57:42 PM

btw, I still have the wrapped Christmas present in my closet seven years later. How sad is that?

The only thing sad about it is that you have never seen her again. It was a very sweet gesture and I wish there could have been a different outcome. But there's still time.

Thanks for sharing.
 angel422
Msg: 6
Posted: 4/27/2007 10:12:28 PM
I got married for love. He used and abused me. we are now divorced. Would I do it again? hmmmmmmm
 Cat_Fishy
Msg: 7
Posted: 4/27/2007 10:47:15 PM
Ummmm... Online Dating!
 Blueskies57
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 4/27/2007 11:07:04 PM
Got the car taken away from me when I was 16, so I tried to use the riding lawnmower to see my girlfriend who lived 14 miles away.

Got stopped about 3 miles down the road by a cop who laughed so hard he almost wet his pants.

Do I win anything?
 Genrae
Msg: 9
Posted: 4/28/2007 12:00:04 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^
Not for the post, but for that sky diving pic you win my admiration! Woohoo!

Rae
 shimmerinthedarkness
Msg: 10
Posted: 4/28/2007 12:30:47 AM
i once gave up everything i had. my family, my schooling, my job, my self respect...everything i had. it was the biggest mistake of my life. it turned out horribly because he left anyways and then i had nothing.

i will never ever ever ever EVER make that mistake again.

nik
 WakeDan
Msg: 11
Posted: 4/28/2007 3:54:02 AM
lets see, 6th grade. This girl i had a crush on asked me if i had a spare pencil.

i said 'sure, just a second'

ran out the door, leaped down 6 flights of stairs, ran as fast as i could down the hallways to my locker. Got a pencil, raced to the stairs, took them 2 at a time up 6 flights without slowing. My legs were on fire, i couldnt breathe. I limp over to her and say in between breaths 'here......you........go!'

looking back...that was pretty dumb. Nothing like keeping them guessing, right?
 Low-Tek
Msg: 12
Posted: 4/28/2007 5:52:23 AM
Good to hear I'm not the only one. I have just broken up with a woman that drinks. I would care about the drinking if she didnt become an absolute different person. We were together for 21/2 years and ya I thought that maybe If I loved her and supported her enough that she would get through it but it seems like those type of ppl live for chaos. I the shitty part about this is that I have a child with her also. Now at least I know that we can get along for the sake of the child, but what a waste of 21/2 years. and yes I feel very guilty. I feel like i was too hard on her and I feel like I am failing my child for not giving him a family that is close. But I have certainly learned to stay away from drinkers
 MB58SC
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 4/28/2007 8:03:26 AM
Denied myself.
 ~squirrly~
Msg: 14
Posted: 4/28/2007 8:11:52 AM
Bashert.....that wasn't dumb ...it was sweet & romantic.

as for me...it was getting involved in a long distance relationship.........................and I mean LONG distance.
 Bashert
Msg: 15
Posted: 4/28/2007 8:22:14 AM
Thanks Squirrly,

check out my thread "Romantic Scenario"and let me know what you think. Apparently what I thought was dumb/foolish is viewed as romantic and what I intended to be romantic didn't get much of a response.
 Genrae
Msg: 16
Posted: 4/28/2007 7:52:34 PM
As a teenager, I was dating someone that I happened to be thrown together with because of mutual friends and activities. It just kind of evolved, and was comfortable. Well, one of my (so called) friends decided that she wanted him and lied on me to break us up--told him that I was also dating one of his friends.

Because she had been a (so called) friend for so long, and he was 'just another guy' I decided that my friendship with her was more important than him. She could have him.

Well, I'm sure it was out of her guilt; she decided to stop speaking to me. Huh! Excuse me you malevolent hussy! You take my man and then have the nerve to stop speaking to me? I think not-- it was all out war from that day on. Stupid me, I made it my quest to get him back-- ended up falling madly in love with him. Seven or eight years of his going back and forth between us, and whoever else he could get, I finally wisened up and called it quits. It took all of those years for me to realize that she did me a favor. He finally married her and has had one affair after another.
 Bashert
Msg: 17
Posted: 4/28/2007 7:56:38 PM
Chalk it up as a learning experience. Although it took seven or eight years, you got the last laugh.
 mars_to_venus
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 4/28/2007 8:26:27 PM
I dug a really deep hole ...by hand lol!!
 dusty59
Msg: 19
Posted: 4/28/2007 8:34:27 PM
Bashert......what a sweet thing to do.....not dumb at all. I do think you should get rid of the skates though........lol

Blueskies......you made me laugh out loud!! How cute!!
 an_earth_child
Msg: 20
Posted: 4/28/2007 9:16:40 PM
bashert.....I have to agree, buying the skates and writing the lesson invite is sweet, but it is probably time to move on......one suggestion I can give you about the skates, if you want to see them put to good use, why not donate them to a school, I'm sure there will be a young lady out there that would totally appreciate receiving them.

blueskies.....hopefully she realized how special she must have been, in your eyes, for you to risk the trek to her place on a riding mower.....thank goodness there are some stories that are going to make us smile and giggle

The dumbest thing I did for love was to try to keep the relationship with my ex together because I loved my son and wanted him to have a whole family, and not become a statistic.........in the process of doing that, I worked at a job I hated, gave up my career dream, lost contact with some very good people (who didn't like my ex), and felt I had lost my soul....it has been a long journey to refind myself, but it has been fun and rewarding...........would I do it again???....no way.....no one is worth losing your soul over.
 fishbill
Msg: 21
Posted: 4/28/2007 11:49:00 PM
AS a virgin at 20, I had a crush on one girl for a long time, she had a BF (my roommate). We were "best friends". I think it was Christmas eve or some lonely holiday in the dorms, and we were going to go to the movies. I sprinkled on some free sample of "pheromone cologne", and I think I lost my viriginity that nite.
 Blueskies57
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 4/29/2007 12:52:50 AM
Thanks. Very nice of you to say that.

I bet the police officer who stopped me (after following me for a mile, when he realized I wasn't cutting grass), got a lot of mileage out of telling that story!

Dusty, I planned ahead. I had a 5 gallon gas can with me, but being a 16 year old kid, I never considered that I might burn up the engine for lack of oil, so I guess it's a good thing I got stopped before that happened.

Nice thread, Rae.
 flukeslywalker
Msg: 23
Posted: 8/27/2007 12:10:30 PM
The dumbest thing I ever did for love, Rae, was ---- to give her up.

She came back to me. Dangit. The kids are driving me crazy.

Remember these words of wisdom:

If you love someone, set her free... If she comes back, she's yours, If she doesn't, she's never was....

The New Versions.....

Pessimist: If you love someone, Set her free ... If she ever comes back, she's yours, If she doesn't, as expected, she never was ...
Optimist: If you love someone, Set her free ... Don't worry, she will come back.
Suspicious: (1) If you love someone, Set her free ... If she ever comes back, ask her why. (2) If you love someone, Set her free ... but get someone to follow her (3) If you love someone, ... are you sure you love that someone?
Go-getter: If you love someone, Set her free ... If she comes back, she's yours, If she doesn't, go get her !
Hunter: If you love someone, Set her free ... Don't even wait whether she comes back, go hunt her down!
Impatient: If you love someone, Set her free ... If she doesn't comes back within some time forget her.
Patient: If you love someone, Set her free ... If she doesn't come back, continue to wait until she comes back ...
Playful: If you love someone, Set her free ... * If she comes back, and if you love her still, set her free again, repeat *
 iago_lives
Msg: 24
Posted: 8/27/2007 12:17:34 PM

What's is the dumbest thing that you've ever done for love, how did it turn out, what were the consequences, and are you still with that person? Given the circumstances, would you do it again?

Man, I've done so many stupid things for women I've been in love with and been shit on almost every time...

I once hitch-hiked 1400 miles to see a woman who knew I was on my way. When I arrived, her room-mate told me she had left a couple of days earlier with her new guy.
 *DisneyMom*
Msg: 25
Posted: 8/27/2007 12:19:47 PM
Get married?

kidding.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > The Dumbest Thing You've Ever Done For Love...