Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Have you ever driven someone away with music?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Karl the Hermit
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Have you ever driven someone away with music?Page 1 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
You know, I swear to this day I drove away a girlfriend with Faith No More's "The Real Thing" back when it came out. I don't know what it is, but I get obsessive for a time when I find an album or band that I really like. And if the woman I'm dating can't stand the types of music I listen to, our relationship doesn't seem to last long...

Anyone else like this?
 EddieTheWhite
Msg: 2
Have you ever driven someone away with music?
Posted: 5/13/2007 1:01:11 PM
You know, if they don't like your music, chances are they won't like you either! You are who you are, and if you worry about your musical tastes scaring someone off, then you probably shouldn't be with them in the first place.

I believe that people that enjoy my copmpany are the people that enjoy the same things that I enjoy. And if they decided that they don't like to listen to NIN or Toby Keith (yeah, my tastes go all over the board!) then they can go find someone else!
 Bk2
Msg: 3
Posted: 5/13/2007 1:14:57 PM
Hi Karl...

Driving your girlfriend away because of the music you like? hmmmm now do you play it 24 -7 at over 85 db...? Question is when, where, how often, how long, and how loud do you play it...

Of course there could of been something else that led to the breakup...

Answer to your question -I have never driven anyone away with my music....:)

O:)
 Khrysalis
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 5/14/2007 3:12:53 AM
I've been driven away and/or warned off from getting too close to someone due to music taste incompatibilities. I've also been drawn into relationships based mainly (if not solely) on music taste similarities.
I know this much about my future - I don't belong with any man who doesn't LOVE music - if music is unimportant to him he'd never "get me"/we'd never "get each other".
 Intensify
Msg: 5
Posted: 5/14/2007 2:05:56 PM
i don't think i have ever driven a woman away by my affinity for metal music but i have had many arguments over the radio with previous ones :P

My girlfriend now is into metal so its something that i don't have to worry about anymore
 Stargaze71
Msg: 6
Posted: 5/15/2007 9:23:06 PM
I don't think I've ever done this to anybody - but a girl I dated in college who refused to listen to anything except two bands: Led Zepplin, and The Beatles. I seriously hate both bands.
I can say although this didn't exactly drive me away, it certainly didn't help matters.
 techgirl27
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 5/15/2007 9:29:48 PM
I drove a date away with my knowledge of music and art history. If they arent open to discussions, including academic level ones, on those kinds of things, well... there will be a lot less to talk about.
 soundchaser1962
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 5/16/2007 2:25:00 AM
As far as a potential girlfriend? No.

But I remember when I was a teenager. Me and my friends were hanging out getting stoned (I don't do that anymore!) and listening to music. There was one guy that we didn't like who always invited himself to people's parties, and he was there. I used to have a copy of John & Yoko's "Unfinished Music Vol.2 - Life With The Lions". I'd put it on and we'd play the Yoko track "Cambridge 1969", real loud, and we'd pretend it was the best music ever. 23 minutes of Yoko screaming to feedback would always clear the room of unwanted pests. Either that or I'd play some Ravi Shankar. That kid loved Lynyrd Skynyrd, so you can imagine how we'd react to Yoko or Ravi.
 metaldaisy
Msg: 9
Posted: 5/16/2007 11:27:48 AM
I've been driven away by music. And I've also done the driving.
Music being an important part of my life. I don't want to spend time with a significant other who is listening to complete crap that gives me a headache. The situation is just nasty for all.

Then on the other hand. I've chased away potentials because they couldn't handle how real music works. If it wasn't banjo or something with the same two measures over and over again. It wasn't their music. They didn't want to be around it.

Most of the time music determines lifestyle. As a metalhead I attend local shows. If the guy I was with didn't want to go.. well thats no fun. Unless you are souless your music kinda determines the kind of person you are with. The kind of music you listen to can be a factor in every single thing you do. So why not finding your "soul mate"?
 Sadness
Msg: 10
Posted: 5/16/2007 3:37:03 PM
I sometimes wonder if my taste in music has been a factor in my ongoing singularity. But I just can't help it if most popular music sounds empty and boring to me. I mostly listen to death/black metal because it just sounds better to me than most other forms of music. Despite this, I really don't live a "metal lifestyle" or anything like that. I don't go out to very many shows and I really don't spend massive amounts of time listening to music either. For me, some nice quiet reading is actually much more preferable than loud music. Although when the need hits me, I do like to crank it up, usually to the dismay of my neighbors.
It is true that a person's taste in music is often a reflection of their inner self. With that in mind, I don't think it is the music that drives people away. I think it has more to do with why a person likes the type of music that they do.
 OnTheBus
Msg: 11
Posted: 5/16/2007 8:15:32 PM
ummmmmm....once I on on a disc and my friend totally HATED it.....and ranted and raved against it.....it was at that momen that I KNEW that was probably our last date
 blonde chickie
Msg: 12
Posted: 5/17/2007 10:20:23 AM
I was driven away from music. I like classic rock, hard rock ya know. I would get with someone that is not into rock and is into rap or hip hop or something I don't like, then it kills it for me
 OnTheBus
Msg: 13
Posted: 5/17/2007 11:25:15 AM
Hard rock is FUN....at the right times
 -SweetHeart-
Msg: 14
Posted: 5/17/2007 3:51:58 PM
Man.. if a guy can't appreciate Bill Evans ... well ....

He's just gonna have to deal with it!LOL
 patti_mk
Msg: 15
Posted: 5/17/2007 10:48:45 PM
hah if ya like me ya gotta like my music....if ya dont like my music too bad boyfriends come and go (a lot lately) music will be in my heart and soul forever its like having kids , package deal!
 blonde chickie
Msg: 16
Posted: 5/18/2007 8:01:52 AM
Your right OTB, Hard Rock can be alot of fun
 hockeygal07
Msg: 17
Posted: 5/18/2007 12:09:49 PM
all that came to mind was

"you want it all but you can't have it".

I loved Faith No More back in the day. And I agree with the other posters - if music is important to you then you must find someone with compatible music tastes or you are doomed to relationship disaster.
 Justin Case Sr.
Msg: 18
Posted: 5/18/2007 12:27:57 PM
All the time.....

Hence the reason im single and looking only for the one that we can relate on a music level or she can handle the fact of how it important it is to me.

jettlightning
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 5/18/2007 3:07:25 PM
I don't know if driven away is the case but, since I listen to such a wide range of music I may overwhelm most with my varied musical taste. There is really only two types of music, good and bad. All genres can be great and extremely bad. Any person that wants to have a relationship with me must be be a music lover.
 elpolarbear
Msg: 20
Posted: 5/19/2007 2:48:46 AM
Indeed. My taste reflects rock 1964-1995,although I can tolerate more musical types than 20 years ago.Even if the music is questionable,at least get the best sound reproduction..no Schucks speakers in your car. The music isn't the biggest impediment..it weekend 420 time.lol lol

Mike
 cdn_guy
Msg: 21
Posted: 5/19/2007 10:06:44 AM
Yes, indeed. Drove an 'ex' to the bus station to J.Geils' "Love Stinks" many years ago. But I suppose this thread is not about that, huh ??

cdn guy
 JackBNimble
Msg: 22
Posted: 5/19/2007 10:48:02 AM
Musical taste is a great filter for keeping undesirables out of ones life .
 lotus pixie
Msg: 23
Posted: 5/20/2007 1:02:16 AM
I scared Jehovah's Witnesses away from knocking on my door once by playing Danzig - "Long road back from hell'!
 lotus pixie
Msg: 24
Posted: 5/20/2007 1:08:47 AM
I scared Jehovah's Witnesses away from knocking on my door once by playing Danzig - "Long way back from hell".
 VanCanuck13
Msg: 25
Posted: 5/20/2007 2:32:27 AM
I dont think that musical tastes have to determine one's lifestyle. But I do think that at least being able to tolerate the music each other likes is important. Who wants to fight over the radio/CD player on road trips?
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Have you ever driven someone away with music?