Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > I'm gonna start hanging out at Lowe's and Home Depot      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 VanGrad
Msg: 1
I'm gonna start hanging out at Lowe's and Home DepotPage 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
I went to Lowe's on Friday to buy 8 4x8ft sheets of insulating foam and a sheet of plywood. I had no fewer than 3 guys offer to help me when I was fighting the wind to get them into the van. Of course, for all I know, they are just nice guys, maybe even married, who were offering to help a lady who looked like she might need it. But, it got me to thinking: If I were more than half serious about finding someone in a hurry, I'd just go hang out at Lowe's and stand around looking like I don't know what I need.

By contrast, I then went to the laundramat to put a sleeping bag in the big front-loading machine, and the men who came in there were NOT of the type I would be interested in meeting. But, maybe that's a function of what people tend to wear when going to the laundry. Everything nice is being WASHED. LOL

VanGrad
 Mr H2O
Msg: 2
I'm gonna start hanging out at Lowe's and Home Depot
Posted: 5/27/2007 5:40:38 AM
Usually the people I see at Home Depot are
1.) covered in paint speckles
2.) dusted with drywall sanding
3.) have potting soil dirt on their knees
4.) still have the welding bandanna on, etc., etc.

You don't exactly see the best dressed people at Home Depot,
but for the most part , the guys are helpful if you ask them .

I doubt guys would hit on any women there,
since it's the one place most husbands don't mind shopping at.
 gb300
Msg: 3
Posted: 5/27/2007 5:46:23 AM
Most contractors and craftsmen are very helpful, and they tend to shop at Lowe's and HD. I tend to spend a lot of time at Lowe's anyway, because I like tools and gadgets. I wouldnt exactly call it a great place to meet men though, because most contractors are usually in a hurry to get supplies out to a construction crew or make a deadline. But they are still courteous and friendly.
 Lario
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 5/27/2007 6:05:03 AM
Most of my projects require several trips to Lowe's / Home Depot. The first to get what "everything" I need, the second, third and fourth to get the rest of the stuff required to complete the project. Therefore 3 out of 4 times, I'm somewhat nasty (with dust, dirt, paint or other yuck mentioned earlier). During those trips, there area all sorts of ladies shopping but probably not a good time for me to go ing for romance.
 itsmekenny
Msg: 5
Posted: 5/27/2007 6:23:10 AM
FYI. i just ran this past a friend of mine that is an assistant manager at a local home depot. and he told me that if a man was caught trying to make a date with a girl at the store that it's store policy to immediately show that man to the door and perminently ban him from the store. and they do that even if the woman aint offended by the guys action. that's cause if the guy dumps her somewhere down the road she could sue the store, the store management, and the corporation for sexual harrassment. and for the guys, the one place i've seen some of the most beautiful women at on any one day or time of day is the county courthouse.

kenny
 WakeDan
Msg: 6
Posted: 5/27/2007 6:32:27 AM
you have got to be joking.

so if a HD employee sees me talking to a woman, and sees her hand me her number...ill get kicked out and banned, and she gets to stay?? what stops me from sueing them for THAT?
 dmagic
Msg: 7
Posted: 5/27/2007 6:40:08 AM
Mr H2O is correct...I worked at a local HD for over 2 years and met a lot of wonderful people - both coworkers and shoppers, however, I found that the nicest men were already married and the ones that hit on you were not the kind I would date. Sad but true.

I've been trying to think of some kind of activity to join that would lend itself to meeting nice looking, intelligent and carismatic men...anyone - especially the men out there - have any ideas? What about volunteering with building houses for the homeless? I don't play tennis or any other kinds of sports, and when I volunteered as a soccer coach the men were also a married group. What's a gal to do?

Thanks and happy fishing!
 hopefloats_777
Msg: 8
Posted: 5/27/2007 6:43:55 AM
Gosh they can lose their job over that? I was asked out a few years ago a guy that works at Lowe's that helped me, but he just wasn't my type. I was flattered though, but I wouldn't bust him for asking me out.
 WakeDan
Msg: 9
Posted: 5/27/2007 6:46:13 AM
no, it sounds like male CUSTOMERS get banned if seen talking to women in a flirty way.

that is so insane.

well hopefloats, maybe you and i can test that theory. ill meet you at the home depot behind Schnucks, ill hit on you in front of an employee.

bring a video camera, maybe we can sue and we'll split the millions!! yeeeaaahahhhhhhhh
 Miss_Bianca
Msg: 10
Posted: 5/27/2007 6:47:46 AM
I went in a Home Depot before I was 18 and got hit on by no less then 5 different employees who were no older then 25 and all quite attractive. I swore when I was old enough I was going to try to get a job there, but by the time i was every man there was over 40 and way to mature to hit on women. I don't doubt that all those guys did was hit on women, and that's probably why they now seem to hire older men...so that policy might be true.
 mlm_mlm_mlm
Msg: 11
Posted: 5/27/2007 6:49:13 AM
Wherever you meet be sure to run a criminal background check... lots of contractors of all sorts ( air conitioning,, painting, roofers... etc) are also felons. You can meet lots of people who "SEEM" nice enough but the way a person acts socially is often not their true selves and its the same meeting anyone new... you have to proceed with caution.
Also you have to protect your kids if you have any from people you just meet. A neighbor of mine was having some AC work done and the contractor was hitting in her 13 year old daughter. So, you have to be careful who you bring into your life and know more about them than they can be helpful and "seem" nice.
 LovelyPNWLady
Msg: 12
Posted: 5/27/2007 6:54:35 AM
I am pretty sure the "policy" is for employees not customers who meet other customers, as far as I know there would be no liability in that instance.

In regard to where to meet... Here in Oregon there is a group called " Bergi" Berfruendi which started as as skii group, now they do all kinds of activites, all kinds of sports, wine tasting, scuba, hiking, volleyball you name it. They used to have a monthly meeting where you see the schedule and sign up and pay for the event you want to attend. After that part of the meeting there was dancing for anyone who wanted to stay. There is also an organziation called events & adventures. I agree volunteering is a wonderful way to meet people, building a house, playground for children, feeding the homeless or any other number of opportunities.

If you are at an event or activity you really enjoy you at least know when you meet that person you have at least that in common?
Happy fishing!
 vosche
Msg: 13
Posted: 5/27/2007 7:45:55 AM
excellent idea!

i suggested this to a friend some time ago but here it is again..

sign up for some of their home improvement classes. then you can oogle the men like they do us women. and of course they'd help you when they saw you needed it, cause they're just that helpful. the worst thing that could come from this is that you learn how to be more independant in home repairs and repair estimates for home repairs
 PhillyScorp
Msg: 14
Posted: 5/27/2007 7:52:05 AM
Don't forget the vegetable aisle at the supermarket...
 vosche
Msg: 15
Posted: 5/27/2007 7:54:43 AM
jenlou67 makes a good point that i hadnt thought of and really does well at giving insight as to why Home Depot would have that policy of "see'em flirt kick 'em to the dirt"
 AbrakaDeborah
Msg: 16
Posted: 5/27/2007 8:29:19 AM
My friend and I were at Lowe's and she was shopping for some "hooks" and so was this really handsome guy. They started talking and staring at each other so, I told her to write down her number and give it to him. She did and he said, "I was about to ask you for your number." They dated for quite awhile... I joked with her that she "hooked" a guy in the hook department!!!
So yes , it does work...So what if they're covered in paint or in work clothes...you get to see them at their worst and then later at their best. Ya gotta love a handyman!
 blue sunshine
Msg: 17
Posted: 5/27/2007 9:49:42 AM
I looked at your profile (OP) to see where you are geographically. From my experience...in California (where I grew up) most of the time, help with groceries, doors being held open, help with stuff bought at home depot and the like, putting air in a tire, oil in your car etc was not often extended....However! I live in the south now. And I tell ya what.....I can't open my own door (no matter how I look that day), I always am offered help with putting water in my radiator (it's a twice a day occurance, LOL....I need a new water pump), guys ALWAYS help here....always.....it's the craziest thing I've ever experienced! Also, the young kids here all call me ma'am (ok, so everyone does)...you can tell my boys are from the west coast....it's always "OK" not, "Yes ma'am" (but they're learning).
 EastSideEddie
Msg: 18
Posted: 5/27/2007 10:04:19 AM
That atmosphere is quite conducive to the dating scene. All the screwing and nailing that goes on there, not to mention there are nuts displayed everywhere. I got a little trim there just yesterday. (For my bathroom....)

Now, to be serious, ANYWHERE people of both sexes shop there will eventually be a hookup made. The rule of numbers says so.

Try the produce section of the grocery store...

slysterling
Msg: 19
Posted: 5/27/2007 10:04:43 AM
msg7:"""What about volunteering with building houses for the homeless?"""

excellent idea dmagic...habitat for humanity is well known for having a lot of decent people volunteering their time to build a new home every year here where i live
lots of self employed types with flexibility in their schedules...something I look for...the flexibility part

grocery stores were always a good bet as well...love it when a girl nonchalantly stalks me up and down the aisles with her cart...lol

maybe you could turn your lemon into lemonade...you say your no good at sports but if you case out a few driving ranges you'll find them scattered with men...again, lots of self-employed types with flexibility to be there in the middle of the day...the ranges usually have spare clubs you can practise on...a few poor swings will bring along some noble chaps to help with the fundamentals of your swinging

good luck
 Bigger Guy
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 5/27/2007 10:09:46 AM
Men love it when the babes get involved in their traditional areas of home improvement. This heplping nature is a chance to be a gentleman and if it means helping the lady in the parking loy ...... well ..... god has allowed them a chance to be the man. Enjoy it and have fun. Babes with tool belts ere great and fun!
 Funniegurl
Msg: 21
Posted: 5/27/2007 10:10:19 AM
I'm with you...there is something about a toolbelt...
 Duckman_2
Msg: 22
Posted: 5/27/2007 10:53:11 AM

Usually the people I see at Home Depot are
1.) covered in paint speckles
2.) dusted with drywall sanding
3.) have potting soil dirt on their knees
4.) still have the welding bandanna on, etc., etc.

Why would a woman want a man that looks like he might have a job...

Chocoletti
Msg: 23
Posted: 5/27/2007 11:10:45 AM
That is so funny...I actually went to both yeterday and as I was leaving Lowes I saw this lady trying to put six pressure treated 4x4x8 into a compact SUV. So as I past her with my cart I stopped and asked if I could help. Of course she was elated. Well to make a short story long I loaded the stuff and we chatted for nearly 20 minutes. Of course she was married but she laughingly asked if I could come to her house and teach her husband how to be as sensitive and caring as I seemed to be So I was thinking on the way home...maybe I should just hang out and Lowes or Home Depot and help ladies that require assistance. I can be th Home Improvement Knight in Shining Armor (LOL)
 techgirl27
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 5/27/2007 11:22:14 AM
I tell you whats good, is baseball games! And football games. Pro ones.

Youre in Ohio, OP, why not try for a Cleveland or Cinnninati game? Whichever your general leaning would be, just geddup and go. The first time you might want to call and see what kind of tickets are left. Most ballclubs (even the Red Sox which have had 330+ sellouts in a row) have tickets available at the gate. Find your favorite team's website at http://www.mlb.com .

The ratio is like at least 9 men for every woman at those games, and they're almost always with their buddies or a guy friend.

I go to Ranger games for that as much as to watch the teams now!! I looked a little crazy when they were playing MY team because I'm a serious fan, but hey! Its all fun.
 Mr H2O
Msg: 25
Posted: 5/27/2007 11:29:53 AM
One lady I dated used to have a Ladies Only Contract Building company.

Since young single females aren't always comfortable having a man
come into their house to repair items, she would send a woman to do the work.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > I'm gonna start hanging out at Lowe's and Home Depot