Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > Does God have feelings? And if so can we hurt Gods feelings?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 statueman
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Does God have feelings? And if so can we hurt Gods feelings?Page 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
Everytime I hear someone refer to the Holy Spirit as "it" I think Gods feelings get hurt alittle bit because that person fails to recognize Gods person in his Holy Spirit.

Sometimes when I see someone do something completely selfish I think Gods feelings get hurt because that person is not living up to their full potential. You know like telling a homeless bum to get a job instead of helping him (did I say bum?) get something to eat or some bus fare or perhaps a little nip to stop the shakes...

Anywho...

So what do you think? Does our Creator I AM have feelings? I mean is does our Father in Heaven experience Joy and Pain and Sorrow and Happiness just as we His children do or is God the detached benevolent being that many seem to believe in?

Let me be the first to answer. I don't know... but I feel like God likes it when we talk about Him more than when we just blindly accept a praise and rewards system of unthinking blind faith with a "Praise Him" mentality assuming to have the Holy Spirit and "don't you know we have all the answers" because we have "it" in our lives... and an "it" tells us everything so don't you try to tell me anything mentality. (was that a long sentence or what!?! ) So...

Does God have feelings?

and

What do you think God feels about you?
 Geneseo
Msg: 2
Does God have feelings? And if so can we hurt Gods feelings?
Posted: 5/29/2007 9:08:25 PM
Hurt feelings come from disappointed expectations. It is what happens to us when the world or the people in it fail to behave in a certain way that we expect them to.

Someone who is in total control of everything, who can accept without placing false hope on someone, and especially someone who knows all that was, is and will ever be, could not get their feelings hurt, because they would know in advance how someone would behave even before they were created.

If god has hurt feelings, then he does not exist.

Of course all this doesn't make sense, but neither does believing in invisible beings.
 conspiracy
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 5/29/2007 9:25:32 PM
Yes we believe Yahweh has feelings otherwise He wouldn't feel love and anger, He has jealousy, that is shown numerous times in Scripture.

Steve & Kara
 dreamwordbyword
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 5/29/2007 9:32:54 PM
i don't know about the christian god, but the goddess doesn't get hurt feelings. we are supposed to be a certain way do certain things but it's only our fault if we don't. We are the ones that get hurt not her.
 mak68
Msg: 5
Posted: 5/29/2007 9:38:25 PM
But emotions are a human trait. Does that make the omnipotent, all powerful creator, more human than he/she/it should be?
Think of it, if we can make mistakes based on acting on emotional responses, then if this supposed god also has emotions, then he/she/it is also subject to those same emotional responses, and therefore to making mistakes as well.
After all, the claim is that we are made in his image.

Do you mean to tell me that when I fart as I pass a church it really can make baby jesus cry??
 statueman
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 5/29/2007 10:15:04 PM
OK... I think I'm lost again...

Does God have feelings? Well? Simple question and if you don't believe in God try at least to play the part and look at it from a believers perspective instead of the same old same old about what I'm supposed to believe you believe I believe. Why not ask me?

Anywho...

I ask the question out of interest in others feelings about who and what God may be. And why not? If God sent his Son into the world not to condemn the world but that the world might be saved through His Son then it's obvious God is crazy about us! I mean He likes us... He really likes us!

I feel that God is big enough to have a personal one on one conversation with us all at the same time and he loves us each one individually. I think there are some on this forum who want to play with the idea of this but for me it is all too obvious that you are searching for a way out of getting to know your maker. Do you think that if you are wrong that you are hurting Gods feelings? Do you who feel there is no God possibly think you were put here to challenge and change those that do so that we might be enlightened into the beliefs that grant life meaning through non-spiritual/eternal being that says "be all you can be NOW cause NOW is all you have". Sort of the eternal NOW thing?

Can't we compare lines of bull without calling eachothers line lines of bull? Do you think it is possible that if you hurt my feelings that you're hurting Gods feelings also? And of course I mean this only if you consider that God might be trying to say something to you through me.

Or perhaps your NoGod is trying to say something to me through you.

Not that my feelings are hurt but they can be since I do have a heart for people and would like them to know that there is a God and that God loves them and would like to have a talk with them through His Son Yeshua the Saviour.
 mak68
Msg: 7
Posted: 5/29/2007 10:26:36 PM
Simple question and if you don't believe in God try at least to play the part and look at it from a believers perspective instead of the same old same old about what I'm supposed to believe you believe I believe. Why not ask me?

I AM looking at it from the perspective that there is a god and it has feelings. To have feelings you must be capable of EMOTION. What does that include? Emotional responses, and mistakes made thereof. You ask if god has feelings. If yes, then he should be subject to his emotions, as they are a part of him. If god's feelings can be hurt, then that means that god can be, in effect, hurt. We can cause him emotional harm, and if he has emotions, then he can react emotionally, especially to that harm caused to him.
Or is what you are looking for is some kind of consensus where everyone agrees with everybody else and just nods their head in agreement?

The answer to this is that god does not have emotions, or "feelings".

Edited to Add:
Ok so I got lost on the fart thing... I see that you did play the part.

My apologies on that one, it was rather crude and rude.
 statueman
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 5/29/2007 10:43:31 PM
Ok so I got lost on the fart thing... I see that you did play the part.

By the way... I think the baby Jesus would have smiled at you flatulents and called up a cool breeze to spare his mother from the aroma.
 Stonestongue
Msg: 9
Posted: 5/30/2007 7:43:25 PM
Sometimes when I see someone do something completely selfish I think Gods feelings get hurt because that person is not living up to their full potential. You know like telling a homeless bum to get a job instead of helping him (did I say bum?) get something to eat or some bus fare or perhaps a little nip to stop the shakes...

I have to say, when I see it MY feelings get hurt, and the pain comes from my center of gravity or Chi(Where my gods hang out), so yes...

So what do you think? Does our Creator I AM have feelings? I mean is does our Father in Heaven experience Joy and Pain and Sorrow and Happiness just as we His children do or is God the detached benevolent being that many seem to believe in?

For me, the creator god was us before we were capable of such feelings, but has evolved with us to incorporate our feelings, findings and superstitions into it's perspective of being... It's learning too... Give it a break already! (not you specifically, lol)

What do you think God feels about you?

It knows I mean well and would never hurt any of our brothers and sisters unless it was in self defence or in defence of another... It thinks I'm ok, but then it thinks we're all ok...
 statueman
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 5/30/2007 10:49:32 PM
stonestongue,

For me, the creator god was us before we were capable of such feelings, but has evolved with us to incorporate our feelings, findings and superstitions into it's perspective of being... It's learning too... Give it a break already! (not you specifically, lol)

You minister to me from my own heretical perspective. It scares me a little how well you understand some of the base philosophies I've come to believe and have yet become so willing to discard.

the creator god was us before we were capable of such feelings, but has evolved with us to incorporate our feelings

The concept of a growing and learning Almighty Eternal Creator while seemingly just gives me the creeps. We are the created and He is our Creator. I believe you speak of a time yet to come.

I think I agree with mak68. the answer is no... But to quote my own OP

I mean is does our Father in Heaven experience Joy and Pain and Sorrow and Happiness just as we His children do or is God the detached benevolent being that many seem to believe in?

Well... yes and no... that is why the Father sent His Son into the world so that He might save the world through Him. His own Son to experience Joy and Pain and Sorrow and Happiness just as we His children do. Now we have Grace through the Son and an advocate with the Father. Now no one can say God does not understand His children.
 Stonestongue
Msg: 11
Posted: 5/31/2007 1:28:28 AM
Remember please Statueman that I respect your views and actually believe you are a good egg... We've had a few good tradings and I met my fiance on one of your threads... I hold no exclusive rights to truth although sometimes I sound like it... That's why my disclaimers are usually so bloody long!

Well... yes and no... that is why the Father sent His Son into the world so that He might save the world through Him. His own Son to experience Joy and Pain and Sorrow and Happiness just as we His children do. Now we have Grace through the Son and an advocate with the Father. Now no one can say God does not understand His children.

Hey man, I hear what you're saying but my interpretation of that is kinda metaphorical... We are the sons and daughters... Jesus was/is our brother... To properly understand something you must be one with it... This god(my god) was static while we travelled for information... It was just trying everything it knew of to understand us quicker... I believe it started sending us messages through various means and various faiths... After all, it does take all kinds...

I can believe that we can be understood by It, but I am asking a serious question here... Why do you believe that we cannot understand that which spawned us? If It wants to understand Us, It must put Itself in Our shoes... What better way than to transmit thoughts to the rest of us who are moving... Don't get me wrong... I do believe It is everywhere... But being everywhere must be rather limiting... No travel... Nothing new except variables of self... It wants to communicate with us, each of us separately so it can hear our stories... Even if It knew what was going to happen, there is no way It could know our perspective exactly unless It could look through our eyes without prejudice of Knowing stuff... I believe that requires emotion.

And I don't see It as a father figure really... More like a very honoured brother/sister... But who knows...Tomorrow I may believe It is unaware of Its actions again... What I think I realise is different depending on how I'm looking at it at the time. That's why I make sure everyone knows I don't know anything... I like changing perspectives as it suits me... But my morals seem to stay the same...

Wow... Sorry... Just realised I'm monopolizing your thread... It sucks when I do that... But the questions you ask require me to clarify where I'm coming from, you savvy?

I believe you speak of a time yet to come.

I don't believe in a time yet to come... It is all happening now IMO

backnblack
Msg: 12
Posted: 5/31/2007 5:13:27 AM
I always believed he did have feelings in the sense that he created us and gave us many gifts , some of which we as humans misuse and abuse. I think of the disappointment He may have in the world today with money ruling and greed succeeding in turning many a heart to stone. I believe if everyone was a little kinder what a world we would have , and that world would better honor Our Father than one filled with hate, violence and greed. I hope that even with the mistakes i have made that He knows my heart and the truths it holds
 Gift
Msg: 13
Posted: 5/31/2007 5:58:29 AM
Most definetly God does have feelings. Since God created man in his own image and everything we are stems from Gods creation all that we know, including our feelings, is God. Gods feelings get hurt when we turn from him.
 skypoetone
Msg: 14
Posted: 5/31/2007 3:38:11 PM
If 'God' has feelings what do you suppose it felt about killing it's own creation over and over again? What was that I heard? "...oops sorry, I did it again!
 pamatlantaga
Msg: 15
Does God have favor?
Posted: 6/1/2007 7:34:37 PM
There is absolutely no limit to the good things that can happen when you decide to let love be the driving force in your life. True love is so strong that the Bible says, “Many waters cannot quench love” (Song of Songs 8:7). That’s a wonderful promise that when you choose to love, your efforts will not be in vain. God will open the windows of heaven and rain down His joy, abundance and favor on you when you learn to love the way He loves.
 Gift
Msg: 16
Posted: 6/3/2007 12:47:16 PM
The days of our years are threescore years and ten; and if by reason of strength they be fourscore years, yet is their strength labour and sorrow; for it is soon cut off, and we fly away.

-Psalm 90:10
 harviej
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 6/3/2007 3:24:41 PM
Question 1. I don't know either. I can't know. If I did know I would probably not understand them.
You think God likes it when you talk because you want to believe God likes you using your "God given brain" to be more than just an animal.

Question 2 was in the title. can we hurt Gods feelings. Well this presupposes the first question being answered in the positive. And it tends to anthropomorsise them (and I spelled that wrong) which I think might be a little arrogant of us. As an analogy for our sense of disapointment in a wayward child, this notion works for those who have a sense of us having a kind of paternal relationship with our God. Since I define God as omnipotent, omniscient, and eternal, I have trouble attributing hurt feeling to God.

Then there was a different third question in the original post. (Sneeky guy). What do I think God feels about me? That again requires me to think of God on a much lower, more human level. If I think of God as I assume the OP does, as a final Judge of my soul, my life, etc, then I am forced to wonder what of my actions are going to be praised, and which damned (figureatively, not literally) If I think of God as a representation of a Universe that I am included in then I wonder whether it is useful for me to speculate on what form my eternity, if any, will have.
 And Can It Be
Msg: 18
Posted: 6/3/2007 6:13:21 PM
OP, I think that God has feelings in some sense of the word because I believe that it is one of the communicable attributes that God gave to man.

To be technical, God has both communicable and incommunicable attributes. His incommunicable attributes would be things like his omniscience, his omnipresence, his omnipotence, etc. These are things that man cannot partake of because they are the essence of Deity.

God's communicable attributes are those things that God has that he also put in man. I believe that one of these communicable attributes is the ability to experience emotion. I believe that God's love is an act of his will rather than mere sentimentality. I believe that ultimately human beings love others as an act of will. That is what makes marriages last when the passion fades. The Bible speaks of the angels of heaven rejoicing more at the repentance of one sinner than over 99 righteous men who do not need to repent. I am sure there is the implied rejoicing of God at the repentance of that sinner also.

On the other hand, the Bible speaks more about God's negative emotions of anger, fury, and wrath than it does about his love. It speaks of how grieved he is when his people turn away from him and worship idols--the work of their own hands.

I can tell you what I believe God feels about all of his people: He loves them with an everlasting love because he chose them to be holy in Christ from the foundation of the world. His care of them is so precise that not a hair can fall from their head without it being their Father in Heaven's will. All things will work out for the good of those who are the called according to his purpose (Romans 8:28).

I think it is important to remember that the Bible frequently anthropomorphizes God--describes him as if he had human attributes. It is important to realize that he is spirit without body, parts, or passions. The Bible is written in a way that we can somewhat understand God and relate to him. "God is spirit and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth."
 statueman
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 6/3/2007 7:54:48 PM
AndCanItBe,

You lost me on the first part and got me up to speed in the second part.

He loves them with an everlasting love because he chose them to be holy in Christ from the foundation of the world. His care of them is so precise that not a hair can fall from their head without it being their Father in Heaven's will.

Something we believe indeed. "His People" are the messengers of such love to all the world... so that they may be without excuse... I'm saying too much however. So if someone does not accept the word of the People of God then they do not accept the Word of God.

But does God have feelings and why do you think so in your experiences? for me I think God has pity and love and toughness and mercy all wrapped up in one. There are some real crazies coming my way everyday and I haven't got a clue what God is going to say or do for them until they speak. Folks need to know if there really is an original creator I AM who loves them from the heart of those who know that to be true.

And all Christianity can do is quote scriptures at folks... well, we need indeed to learn to worship God in Spirit and in truth. Drop our man made pharisitic doctrines and tell the world just how it is we know God Loves You and Me.

For me it is to tell the world that Jesus set me free from sins and gave me a heart for the same wretches I once was. So many American christians just haven't been a wretch and have written off alot of folks. We send missionaries to other countries and forget about the inner cities and drug infested towns and career homeless with severe mental and emotional problems because you can't FOCUS on the FAMILY if you never had one to begin with. You can't leave the job of re-habilitating folks up to those who haven't yet been habilitated themselves.

Does God have feelings? Of course. And I believe He knows and cares about the fact that he has hurt the feelings of many people without really meaning too. I think, however, that He will explaing everything and those of us who are willing to hear Him out will be given the chance. And then of course... many of us will have to answer for what we've done with our own being.
 Kariz
Msg: 20
Posted: 6/3/2007 10:57:03 PM
I only know in christianity, God the Father is hard to say if He has feelings... the Son certainly does, and yet they are the same being.

Who was it earlier said that love and anger have to be part of the feelings.... I'm not sure... I don't really think love is a feeling.. not simply so anyway.
 And Can It Be
Msg: 21
Posted: 6/4/2007 5:49:48 AM
OP, I agree with you wholeheartedly that true Christianity feeds the hungry, clothes the naked, binds up the wounds of the injured, but it also preaches the Gospel of personal salvation through Jesus Christ to the poor.

I appreciate what you are saying about the wretchedness in our own country. I think we have to realize that, whether it is here or abroad, all misery is caused by sin. Children don't have a family because irresponsible people engage in premarital sex because they believe that it is no longer a sin. I don't mean to offend anyone. I mean to point out that the misery we see is caused by the actions of someone, and that someone is not God--it is a human being who sinned and needs forgiveness.

When you start talking about the disparity that God allows in the lives and basic living conditions of people, you are getting into the subject of the sovereignty of God. Why is one child born into a stable home to parents who love and nurture him while another child is born into a home where there is alcohol and/or drug abuse and physical violence? Why is one child born intelligent and another child is born with very limited mental abilities? Why does one child, such as my own daughter, have chronic long-term illness? These are things known only to God.

I would disagree with your statement: "And I believe He knows and cares about the fact that he has hurt the feelings of many people without really meaning too." This implies sin on God's part. God cannot sin. I don't believe that God has "hurt the feelings of many people without really meaning to" in the sense of unintentionally giving offense the way one human being offends another. God has treated every human being with nothing less than perfect justice and/or mercy. God has never done anything to offend a human being. The fact that he tolerates mans' sin every day is a testimony to His grace and longsuffering!

Man in his natural, unconverted state hates God as it says in Romans 1. Man is at enmity against God.

I don't mean to sound harsh or unkind. I just want modern Christians to have a higher view of God. Get a hymnal that has the OLD hymns and see how they praise God versus how God is described in modern music. God is NOT "the man upstairs." He is the "Fount of Every Blessing," and "God Beyond All Praising."
 statueman
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 6/4/2007 11:28:47 AM
I would disagree with your statement: "And I believe He knows and cares about the fact that he has hurt the feelings of many people without really meaning too." This implies sin on God's part. God cannot sin.

AndCanItBe,

I will not defend my statement as anything but how I feel about what make God seem both just and innocent of any charges brought against Him by us his created beings. I am not, however talking to bible reading Christians such as yourself. I am talking to folks who are relating to God in any way they see fit. My message of the love of our wonderful counselor is that Yeshua the Word of God the Spirit of God and the exact Image of God calls out to the hardest of heads and those most staunchly against Him for the best or worst of reasons. His Mercy seems almost as flawed as the Gospel itself seems to those I'm speaking too. Even in the NT as you well know Paul says that "but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles."

With that let me examine my own statement ...

Does God have feelings? Of course. And I believe He knows and cares about the fact that he has hurt the feelings of many people without really meaning too. I think, however, that He will explain everything and those of us who are willing to hear Him out will be given the chance. And then of course... many of us will have to answer for what we've done with our own being.

With that let me add that Jesus said the blind will see and those that see will remain blind. Would that christians would adopt the simplicity of not knowing into the faith. We say "God is without Sin" as if we know what we're talking about and the world should be immediately be able to understand such a complicated and inexplicable concept without having experienced what we've experienced.

AndCanItBe, I do take the correction of scripture seriously and see where I could be leading others astray.

Isaiah 45:9

Does the clay say to the potter, 'What are you making?'
 Matt Adore
Msg: 23
Posted: 6/4/2007 6:59:30 PM
The suffering savior...

At the end times, billions of people were scattered on a great plain before Gods throne. Most shrank before the brilliant light before them. But some of the groups at the front talked heatedly-Not with cringing shame, but with beligerance. 'Can God judge us?'

'How can he know about suffering?' Snapped a young brunette. She ripped open her sleeve to reveal a tattooed number from a Nazi concentration camp. 'We endured terror... Beating... Torture... Death!'

In another group, a black man lowered his collar. 'What about this?' He demanded, showing an ugly rope burn. 'Lynched for no crime but being black!'

In another crowd, a pregnant schoolgirl with sullen eyes, 'Why should I suffer?' She murmered. 'It wasn't my fault.'

Far across the plain was hundreds of such groups. Each had a complaint against God for the evil and suffering he had permited in his world. How lucky God was to live in a heaven where all was sweetness and light, where there was no weeping or fear, no hunger or hatred! What did God know of what men had been forced to endure in this world? 'For God leads a pretty sheltered life.' they said.

So each of these groups sent forth their leader, chosen because they had suffered the most. A jew, a black, a person from Hiroshima, a horribly disabled arthritic, a thalodimide child. In the center of the plain they consulted with each other.

At the last, they were ready to present their case. It was rather clever. Before God could be qualified to be their judge, he must endure what they endured. Their verdict was that God should be sentenced to live on earth- As a man! Let him be born a Jew! Let the legitimacy of his birth be doubted. Give him a work that would be so difficult that even his family will think him out of his mind when he tries to do it. Let him be betrayed by his closest friends. Let him face false charges, be tried by a prejudiced jury and be convicted by a cowardly judge. Let him be tortured. At last, let him see what it means to be terribly alone. Then let him die in agony. Let him die so that there can be no doubt that he is dead. Let there be a whole host of witnesses to verify it.

As each leader announced the portion of their sentence, a loud murmur of approval went up from the throng of people assembled. When the last had finished pronouncing sentence there was a long silence. No one uttered another word. No one moved. For suddenly, all knew that God had already served his sentence...

I kind of thought that this might be appropriate for this forum. An earlier poster mentioned how Jesus has the ssame feelings as we do... This is not original to me, but I thought it is a good read.
 Ender
Msg: 24
Posted: 6/4/2007 7:06:35 PM
Why is god assumed to have a gender by christians?
 Stonestongue
Msg: 25
Posted: 6/4/2007 8:31:02 PM
^^^My guess is because only men were ever allowed to talk to this god... Any woman that claimed such a gift was burned as a witch... Remember--In the eyes of the bible all men are created equal... The women were an afterthought...

What a load!
Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > Does God have feelings? And if so can we hurt Gods feelings?