Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > Is it too forward to give your cell number after only 1 or 2 emails?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Devorah T
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Is it too forward to give your cell number after only 1 or 2 emails?Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
i don't want to get into an endless email exchange rut. if i really liked the profile and the messages exchanged i'd like to have a "real" conversation....but worry that giving my number so soon might seem pushy.

as a guy what would you think of a woman giving you her number that soon?
 lonestardaddy
Msg: 2
Is it too forward to give your cell number after only 1 or 2 emails?
Posted: 6/5/2007 11:20:39 PM
dti, No, and especially if y'all are local to one another and you've decided to give the man the benefit of trust in other than his ability to type.It doesn't mean that he'll take you up on your offer and option, but at least you've made it available to him.
 Ihaveaname4you
Msg: 3
Posted: 6/6/2007 12:21:50 AM
One time a girl at that bar just came out of nowhere and gave me her phone number and told me to call her so we could go out sometime. If she had not have been drinking and a little crazy I would have called. Drinking is okay, forward was okay, a little crazy with obvious emotional problems no way.
 jimi77
Msg: 4
Posted: 6/6/2007 12:48:59 AM
Depends on if you both feeling it.. me personally I think its to soon.. I like to get to know a person a bit better. I guess I don’t really want a person to know my personal number until I find out if there a kook ball.. LOL.. and I have met a few of them..
 ubkobalt
Msg: 5
Posted: 6/6/2007 1:02:47 AM
It's not pushy. It's inviting and offering permission.
Be aware, this sets you up for "rejection" if you EXPECT him to call. If you expect or demand, you're being pushy, and possibly setting yourself up for hurt if you take the wrong attitude about it.
 An Acronym
Msg: 6
Posted: 6/6/2007 3:16:30 AM
Nah - not at all ... if you feel there is a strong connection.
But validate it first even if in some harmless way such as "It'd be great to talk to you on the phone soon", etc.
From personal experience, there were times when women on here thought her and I had potential romantic chemistry after a few emails and gave their number, but I didn't feel the same.
Giving a number too early puts pressure on the other to call. If they are not ready/don't want to/worry that calling might give the wrong impression, it might ruin a potential relationship, or at least a great friendship.
Still, it can be flattering
 Central Man
Msg: 7
Posted: 6/6/2007 3:29:01 AM
Depends if emails = months of email/msn chat or not. Just take it by nature, it will feel right when it comes. I am normally reserved and shy f2f. I have been known to loose ph #'s maybe 3 times on emails/msn. But we dig each other. So no biggie. Then it gets rough times, and she bails. Or I over-think situations, and bail/f'up. Thats a guys perspective on this deal.
 MEGA_CHULO2007
Msg: 8
Posted: 6/6/2007 4:56:07 AM
I would have to say that it all depends. The best way to go is to I M back and fourth for a good while and talk about a variety of subjects and lots of back and fourth question asking about each other. When you feel the vibe is there, then it would cool to pass your number too him. Too too soon can seem like desperation.
 artman466
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 6/6/2007 5:10:19 AM
id say depends on how the conversation on emails went,,, as far as u go dti,, would love to have ur number,, lol,,, i feel the same way,,, lets meet and see,,, and u need to talk in person to do that,, and that means a phone call or 2,, if it dont work or click ,, walk away and say thank u for ur time,, chances are good that he wont keep calling u,, if he does ,,, dont answer and he will soon get the idea in his little brain that u didnt feel comfortable,, if not,, report him,,
 XeroGravity
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 6/6/2007 5:17:01 AM
It is not to forward at all. I like it when that happens because it takes the pressure of eventually having to ask. However, you are accelerating the timetable, getting to know some one faster is not always better. Curiosity is a powerful emotion, one that we humans have trouble resisting. So give your number sure. but take your time on the next couple of steps.
 MX220
Msg: 11
Posted: 6/6/2007 7:01:33 AM
After one email it's pushy. After two I don't think so.

i don't want to get into an endless email exchange rut.

I coudn't agree more. Men like it when a woman takes a little initiatve and offers her #. I think men have to be a little more careful than women in bringing up the phone # too soon. If I'm interested in a woman after two or three emails I'll bring it up then.
 Got Trance
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 6/6/2007 7:17:14 AM
It is too easy to take your time and think up clever jokes, stories and even lies during e-mail exchanges. Talking on the phone makes it a bit easier to know someone. The inflection in their voice, how they react to questions and so forth. But nothing beats meeting that person in person. Not pushy at all. That's my answer to your question.
 Texican940
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 6/6/2007 7:36:53 AM
Uh only if you want a date versus a chat partner.
 Back_in_B1ack
Msg: 14
Posted: 6/6/2007 10:03:04 AM
As long as the two of you are clicking I don't think it's too soon.
 weirdscienceofluv
Msg: 15
Posted: 6/6/2007 3:24:34 PM
I dont think so, at least not for me, im a person who is open and interested in friendly banter. I think it shows a noticeable amount of interest if both people are willing to exchange numbers fairly quickly because talking is easily the best way to get to know someone over emailing or some other method...
 i_am_lynna
Msg: 16
Posted: 8/11/2007 8:08:39 AM
No, I don't normally give mine out on 1 email but maybe after 2 or 3rd if the person really impresses me and the feedback i get is that it is mutual.
 rosesforyou
Msg: 17
Posted: 8/11/2007 8:14:56 AM
dtitunik

I think most guys agree with me when I say that way to many women worry way to much about being pushy/too forward. Women need to understand that many guys includeing myself LOVE when a woman is forward! Like the other guy said, if your both feeling it then just make a move and give your number.

What would I think? I would think this woman rocks!
 twoshadows
Msg: 18
Posted: 8/11/2007 8:18:14 AM
I don't think it's too forward. To me it simply means they want to talk a little more. People nowadays tend to give out their cell phone number a little quicker than their home number,maybe because it seems a little safer.
Posted: 8/11/2007 8:20:32 AM
Usually it takes 4-6 lengthy emails for me to decide if I feel there is a connection and if it's worth pursuing. If so, I'll ask if they'd like my number and I give out my cell phone number or business number, never my home number.
 beachchick
Msg: 20
Posted: 8/11/2007 8:30:10 AM
I'm not a patient person. By that I mean that if someone and I are emailing back and forth several times, and the emails are long and we are asking each other a million questions and the conversation is really going well, I will go crazy with that after awhile. I'm also not very patient with text messaging...if you want to tell me something quick, fine, text me. But if you want to have a conversation with me, CALL me, don't TEXT me. LOL!

S0 I dont' see a problem saying something like "hey, would you rather talk instead of all this typing? If you'd like you can call me at 770-__________ . " Then I leave it up to them. If they reply with an email, we keep emailing, no biggie.

Usually it seems like a guy won't ask for my phone number because they never seem to know when it's safe to "ask" for it, and they seem relieved when I tell them they can call if they'd rather.

I just know that most men usually hate typing, and I'm giving them an "out" so we can stop typing so much. LOL!

If it's just a couple of emails where they are short and not much actual conversation, I'm not going to give my number up so fast.
 stumpy1970
Msg: 21
Posted: 8/11/2007 8:42:30 AM
It seems okay to me as long as you feel confident after two or three contacts with that person and distance does make a difference as well. If its local then just make sure your extra careful when you talk to this person. Good luck.

PS. I would like to commend you on your being considerate and being concerned you were being too pushy!
 Test_Pilot
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 8/11/2007 9:13:17 AM
Personally, I would rather move to phone asap if I am interested because emails are too impersonal and a bit of a time waster. Go for it!
 scorpiomover
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 8/11/2007 9:17:08 AM
I would think a woman who gives me her number is a great gal. It means she is giving us a chance. She's not slutty, though. It's just an invite to a conversation, after all.
 cdflash
Msg: 24
Posted: 8/11/2007 9:47:16 AM
i hate email pingpong too.

however, i'm a big fan of my privacy and guard my contact details like a hound. its a tough trade-off but its moreso for keeping my contact details private, not necessarily whether people think i'm moving too quick or not.

so far as being pushy, i don't think it is after a couple of emails, at least you get to hear the person's voice. just remember that once they have it, its written somewhere so if you don't want them to contact you later, you might be in strife.
 Letscee
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 2/10/2008 7:17:41 AM
I am so glad someone asked this question. I have given mine out a couple of times and I wandered the same thing. I don't won't to sound pushy or desperate but to me its easy as all get out to type anything but untill you hear that persons voice you have no clue typing you have a chance to think what the other person might want to hear but talking on the phone you are more apt to say exactly what is on your mind. E-mails are not real true conversations, and they don't give a sense of the other persons real personalty like a phone conversation. You are setting yourself up for rejection but so is the guy if he gives his out first and if they don't call you that says alittle about them. Visa Versa
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > Is it too forward to give your cell number after only 1 or 2 emails?