Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Appropriate to ask out a customer?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Desolator1
Msg: 1
Appropriate to ask out a customer?Page 1 of 1    
I work at a retail store and of course there are a lot of cute girl customers. Do you think it's appropriate to ask a customer out? I'm just wondering if most will think I'm out of line or if it's all right. Or perhaps if it has ever worked out for someone.
 okcupid
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Appropriate to ask out a customer?
Posted: 6/15/2007 8:28:12 PM
I'd ask your boss/check company policy first. Although most people may think it's ok, if your boss has a problem with it, it's not worth losing your job over. Even if you are allowed to, I'd be very careful about it, all it takes is one b!chy girl to not take a liking to you and suddenly you're in trouble for harassing a customer.
 Rapidfire
Msg: 3
Posted: 6/15/2007 9:40:24 PM
I know this is "ask a girl" but I've been in that position. I'd say that it's NOT appropriate as far as your job goes, but it's worth a shot. You'd be risking your job true, but you'd have to be pretty disgusting about it to warrant a customer complaint..and hey, you're risking your job for what could be love...might as well take a shot if you think it's worth it.

I would NOT ask my boss though. Not unless you know him personally outside of work or something...
 cutegirlnextdoor
Msg: 4
Posted: 6/15/2007 10:13:50 PM
If the girl is a regular at the store, maybe you can be at the store, and not be working at the time.. that wont be counted as asking a customer out, cause you weren't on the clock??

But for professionalism wise, I won't do it dude...
 Desolator1
Msg: 5
Posted: 6/16/2007 6:03:21 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. It's just a lame retail job while I'm in college anyway.
 jazmella
Msg: 6
Posted: 6/16/2007 10:23:03 AM
I see nothing wrong with it. I've done it before and have had successful dates stem from it. I also get customers asking me out, aswell, which I find flattering.
 Mrrab20
Msg: 7
Posted: 6/16/2007 10:33:33 AM
Well, I work at a few retail stores and all I can say that there are lots of beautiful girls that love to do their shopping. As much as I would find them very attractive while on the job, I have a policy for myself saying that I don't ask female customers out while on the job. Doing it when you're off the clock though is definitely reasonable because that way, you won't get in trouble with your boss or supervisor. Of course, you'd just better pray that they are still there by the time you end your shift.
 blueyesopen
Msg: 8
Posted: 6/16/2007 10:35:55 AM
i seriously don't understand how it would effect your job. why would your job be on the line?. i've worked in retail my entire life. and can't fathom why my job would be lost after dating someone that shops at my store...are they seriously that hard up for customers that they'd worry they'd never shop there again if things didn't work out?..thousands of people shop at all different types of stores..well more than thousands..LOL..but you know what i mean. so you'd be pretty hard pressed to find someone that has never shopped there. i have never heard of a job taking you out of such a huge part of the dating world before...now if it was a fellow employee..yes..THAT i understand..but that is only a small percentage of the dating pool. ...sorry just don't get the problem with that at all!
 someonesweet
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 6/16/2007 11:30:36 AM
A lot of people think I'm cute and while I am really old fashioned and Jewish (Messianic) with a minority opinion about the roles of men and women in society meaning I want my mate pursuing me and from my side he needs to understand that I either want/don't want him pursuing me. So I need to be clear in communicating that. Having written this I wouldn't want my cashier asking me out. That feels kindof creepy. On the other side of the coin...I wouldn't mind my guy going to the extra trouble to find me in the flour aisle for a magical moment.
 *Bulldog*
Msg: 10
Posted: 6/16/2007 1:32:37 PM

seriously don't understand how it would effect your job. why would your job be on the line?. i've worked in retail my entire life. and can't fathom why my job would be lost after dating someone that shops at my store...are they seriously that hard up for customers that they'd worry they'd never shop there again if things didn't work out?..

I think if a guy does it, then there's a much greater downside. A girl hitting on customers is probably taken to be harmless.

Broadly speaking, it costs the employer next to nothing to frown upon those types of activities. Conversely, it may cost the employer a lot if such activity is not frowned upon (allowed) and the company gets a bad reputation as a result of it.
 jewelescent
Msg: 11
Posted: 6/16/2007 6:18:44 PM
I work in retail too and it is not allowed in my company. Dont know where you work but if you call it lame then it must suck. LOL. Anyhoo, it isnt allowed in most places and i wouldnt risk my job
 scorpiomover
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 6/16/2007 10:43:34 PM
Yeah, check with your boss. But a lot of cute girls will smile at you a lot, and show that they're interested. You're in the public eye and you meet a lot of women, so you're bound to meet some women who you find attractive and are interested in you. Lol
 Cort1295
Msg: 13
Posted: 6/17/2007 2:35:31 AM
I think it can be, if they're a regular and you get on well when you have time to spare. I don't think it's really worth the potential risk to your job if you aren't at least familiar with them, though.

Broadly speaking, it costs the employer next to nothing to frown upon those types of activities. Conversely, it may cost the employer a lot if such activity is not frowned upon (allowed) and the company gets a bad reputation as a result of it.

To a certain extent, yes, but a company can just as easily get a bad rep. for being too anal in areas that have little to do with the quality of their service while skipping over other methods that could easily improve it.
 Venari
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 11/3/2007 10:18:41 PM
My boss has no problem with it, as long as we dont' end up with some emotionally deranged customer coming in to scream at you while you're hard at work.
 Herding_Cats
Msg: 15
Posted: 11/3/2007 10:23:33 PM
As an employer I would be concerned that it would cost me business. If you ask someone out and she's not interested, is she going to avoid the store because you make her uncomfortable?

It's just reality. Fish somewhere else.

I personally wouldn't want clerks hitting on me while I'm shopping.
 A_Cool_Guy
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 11/4/2007 7:35:33 PM
My cousin got married to a former customer. Basically the story is this. She was from the Phillipeans and was with her family that day looking for a computer. Appearently there was some connection and he asked her out but she sort of shied away from him. About a year later she calls him and they start dating. Soon after this they are married and right now they have their first child.

This was the cousin that everyone thought was never going to get married because he wasn't really popular with the ladies and didn't appear to have relationships before, but out of the blue this happened and he found the right person. This gives hope that the right person could be found anywhere at any time.
 krys315
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 11/4/2007 8:23:14 PM
It is definitely not appropriate. HOWEVER, if youre sweet about it, you have nothing to worry about. If you come off sleazy, then she may go to your manager. lol.

I go to the gym and the gym employees come up to me asking me out. I HATE IT. I'm thinking of going up to their boss next time it happens. The only reason I am considering this is because it feels like I'm being stalked..hahah. all i want to do is work out.

BASICALLY, if you are not on that "stalker status" then GO FOR IT
 piscescoda
Msg: 18
Posted: 11/4/2007 9:23:57 PM
I think it's inappropriate for the most part. I think MAYBE if she asks you out, you could take her number and call her after you get out of work. I don't think you should instigate anything. Personally I would be uncomfortable if an employee somewhere was hitting on me. They'd probably lose my business because I'd be too uncomfortable to go back.
 mark121
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 11/5/2007 1:24:16 PM
its just a retail job. if you get fired get another job. i used to worry abought dumb things like that too but its just not worth it if your going to wonder what could have been later.
 Random Entry
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 11/7/2007 3:09:25 AM
Do it away from the boss and if you get caught play dumb like you didnt know it was against the rules but don't do it again.

Better to hand out a card with your number on. If you made an impression, she will call.
 jewelescent
Msg: 21
Posted: 11/7/2007 7:29:16 AM
Just a retail job? What if its their career or plan to make it their career? Jeez, no one is worth losing a job for.
 Humor in Vanity
Msg: 22
Posted: 11/8/2007 10:17:00 AM
Never mix Business and Pleasure, it will come back to bite you in the ass. Your best bet if you were to: 1. Make sure the customer is a regular and you actually know that they are single and ready to mingle. 2. Invite to a party where you know a lot of the people - that way she gets good vibes instead of loner/stalker vibes. If you play it right drop hints that you really want to see a certain movie or eat at a certain restaurant to get that second date. Generally though, bad idea.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Appropriate to ask out a customer?