Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > My daughter is seeing red spots. Help!      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 PoorWhiteGirl
Msg: 1
My daughter is seeing red spots. Help!Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I made her an eye appt, but they can't get her in until the 29th. She is 5 years old and is telling me that she sees little red bugs with no wings. I finally figured out that she's seeing red spots. She says she sees them all the time and it doesn't matter if she's in or outside.

I've been Googleing with not much luck. Does anyone know what this means? If it's something potentially serious, I'll see what I can do about getting her in sooner. Thanks.
 That is mommy2
Msg: 2
view profile
History
My daughter is seeing red spots. Help!
Posted: 6/18/2007 8:06:42 AM
Eye Floaters and Spots

By Judith Lee and Gretchyn Bailey;
reviewed by Dr. Vance Thompson

You may sometimes see small specks or clouds moving in your field of vision. They are called floaters. You can often see them when looking at a plain background, like a blank wall or blue sky. Floaters are actually tiny clumps of gel or cells inside the vitreous, the clear jelly-like fluid that fills the inside of your eye.

Floaters may look like specks, strands, webs or other shapes. Actually, what you are seeing are the shadows of floaters cast on the retina, the light-sensitive part of the eye.
Eye Floaters and Spots Symptoms and Signs

If a spot or shadowy shape passes in front of your field of vision or to the side, you are seeing a floater. Because they are inside your eye, they move with your eyes when you try to see them. You may also see flashes of light. These flashes occur more often in older people as the vitreous humor thickens and tugs on the light-sensitive retina. They may be a warning sign of a detached retina. Flashes also occur after a blow to the head, often called "seeing stars."
Spots and eye floaters

If you have floaters, they'll likely look like this when you peer up at a bright, blue sky.

Vitreous detachment

Clumps of vitreous gel can float in the eye, creating the spots and floaters many people see in bright light. Large numbers of these clumps can be produced when the vitreous gel begins to thicken or shrink, usually with aging, and detaches from the inner back of the eye (retina). The resulting spots and floaters you see after a vitreous detachment are actually "shadows" cast by clumped bits of vitreous gel when light shines past them onto the retina, where vision processing occurs.

Some people experience flashes of light that appear as jagged lines or "heat waves" in both eyes, often lasting 10-20 minutes. These types of flashes are usually caused by a spasm of blood vessels in the brain, which is called a migraine. If a headache follows the flashes, it is called a migraine headache. However, jagged lines or "heat waves" can occur without a headache. In this case, the light flashes are called an ophthalmic migraine, or a migraine without a headache.
What Causes Eye Floaters and Spots?

For most people, floaters occur as they grow older. The vitreous humor thickens and clumps as we age, and floaters result from the clumped vitreous gel. Sometimes pregnant women see spots caused by little bits of protein trapped within the eye. Eye injury or breakdown of the vitreous humor may also cause spots and floaters.

When people reach middle age, the vitreous gel may start to thicken or shrink, forming clumps or strands inside the eye. The vitreous gel pulls away from the back wall of the eye, causing a posterior vitreous detachment. It is a common cause of floaters, and it is more common for people who:

* are nearsighted;
* have undergone cataract operations;
* have had YAG laser surgery of the eye;
* have had inflammation inside the eye.

Treatment for Spots and Floaters

Most spots and eye floaters are merely annoying but harmless when they temporarily enter the field of vision, and many fade over time. People sometimes are interested in surgery to remove floaters, but doctors are willing to perform such surgery only in rare instances.
Related Articles

Retinal detachment: what to do about it

If you suddenly see new floaters, or eye floaters accompanied by flashes of light or peripheral vision loss, it could indicate serious conditions such as diabetic retinopathy; vascular abnormalities such as retinal hemorrhages or carotid artery disease, or the beginning of a retinal detachment. The retina can tear if the shrinking vitreous gel pulls away from the wall of the eye. This sometimes causes a small amount of bleeding in the eye that may appear as new floaters. You should see your eye doctor immediately.
 *DisneyMom*
Msg: 3
Posted: 6/18/2007 8:10:09 AM
Ive never heard of that PWG, but is what mommy described sound familar? What did the dr's say when you called them? Id be concerned that waiting could progress to worse, but if its not bothering her TOO much, maybe you can wait the few wks til the appt? What would they say if you brought her in anyway and waited? Or if there was a cancellation and they could get her in?
 PoorWhiteGirl
Msg: 4
Posted: 6/18/2007 8:20:25 AM
^^^

I called a different eye doc and this lady got on the phone and told me to bring her in at 2pm today. I asked if it could wait because she's in school, and the lady said no, that she needs to be seen right away. So now I'm freaking out.

I'm still searching and making calls and stuff, but that's a mini update for now.
 *DisneyMom*
Msg: 5
Posted: 6/18/2007 8:36:20 AM
Thankfully she can get her in today! Id pull her out of school today, just to be on the safe side, especially if she needs to be seen asap. Let me know what they say.
 PoorWhiteGirl
Msg: 6
Posted: 6/18/2007 8:38:40 AM
^^^

I was trying to avoid them missing any summer school because they get a $40 gift card if they don't miss more than 60 min of class, and that would be great for school supplies, but yes, her eyesight is more important. I called the school and let them know I'm picking her up early, and asked them to tell her brother that it's ok that she's not on the bus. I'm afraid he'd flip out if he sees she's missing.

I'll be sure to let you know what the doc says- either her or on MS.
 writer59
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 6/18/2007 9:33:39 AM
I agree, Man; Puck off !!

I was about to post and suggest calling a different Dr. office. I am glad that they felt it was urgent to see the child immediately. That does not mean there is something terribly wrong, but ruling it out first is very important.

Second, if the child thinks its "bugs", that could be very frightening and not something you want your child to go through.

Regarding the gift card, yes its about accomplishments and not a $40 issue. The OP was asking if it's THAT urgent, apparently not being sure, especially because her yey doctor didnt seem to worried about it in the first place. Once the urgency was established, apparently there's no question. OP sounds like a great mother.

The posting about floaters was very interesting. I've had "floaters" since childhood, and they usually appear in the daytime, looking up into a sky. Theyre exactly the same as I have always had, and I don't think they're any better or worse. However, I do get migraines now, quite severely, but no flashing. I never thought of migraines being associated with floaters. Certainly its something I will have to research.

Good luck OP; please let us all know how she is.

PoorWhiteGirl
Msg: 8
Posted: 6/18/2007 10:16:59 AM
Exactly, Harley. (and Writer) I wasn't trying to put off her appt just to get some freaking money, but if they didn't feel it was an urgent issue, I didn't want to pull her out of school early, but since they seem to think she needs to be seen right away, there is no question about it.

Thank you to those of you who offered advice and are concerned. I'll update when we get back home.
 Pucks
Msg: 9
Posted: 6/18/2007 10:21:07 AM
Somebody pissed in your corn flakes this morning eh?
Uncle Buck makes me laugh I suggest not posting when your in a mood Writer.
 *DisneyMom*
Msg: 10
Posted: 6/18/2007 10:22:50 AM
I know you werent PWG. Issssssss aallllll good. I knows how ya roll.
 East_Coast
Msg: 11
Posted: 6/18/2007 11:48:44 AM
Ha Ha Aunt Flo.......good one......thats my girl.

All I can say is Puck......you are not allowed your smart aleck remarks in jest........only those who know the official 'handshake' may do so..........
.......end transmission.........
 Pucks
Msg: 12
Posted: 6/18/2007 1:12:24 PM
East Coast, Ok Sheriff Pof police
 *DisneyMom*
Msg: 13
Posted: 6/18/2007 1:23:59 PM
BAAAAAAAHAHAHHA. You cant take away my MCJ number! Nope!
 PoorWhiteGirl
Msg: 14
Posted: 6/18/2007 2:20:38 PM
Ok, he said that it's either protein on the eye or an eye migraine. The floaters you see is usually protein - your eye is like a balloon and the inside is this gel and it's got protein in it and when it comes loose, that's what you see. An eye migraine is just like a regular migraine, but you don't necessarily have a headache that accompanies it. Since she doesn't have a headache, he didn't feel there was a need for more testing, but if she should start getting them, we might have to have some extra testing done.

And she has an astigmatism in both eyes so she's not perfect 20/20 but she's still 20/25 so no need for glasses. And the black spot on her eye is a freckle!!

She was such a trooper! I'm very proud of her for doing so well. She didn't even make a fuss when they put the eye drops in.

Oh and my son got off the bus with his shorts on backwards and his white shirt has marker all over it. LOL
 care_bear
Msg: 15
Posted: 6/18/2007 2:21:39 PM
Good news! Glad to hear all is well PWG.
 *DisneyMom*
Msg: 16
Posted: 6/18/2007 2:27:40 PM
Im glad she is ok and its nothing to be majorly concerned about.
 SLbabe
Msg: 17
Posted: 6/18/2007 3:21:59 PM
Agreed.

Good god, isn't this about the kid?

Good to know she'll be alright :D
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 18
Posted: 6/18/2007 5:53:02 PM
Whew! What a relief! I bet going to an opthamologist is frightening for a kidlet! Tell her I said GREAT JOB! :)

Eye issues are always something I have freaked on. My family has a hereditary hearing loss that progresses to deafness. So we really count on our good sight! Well, as soon as I hit 40, my eyesight starts to decline! WTF!? I have a cochlear implant now, but the idea of the eyeballs worsening still freaks me out!
 That is mommy2
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 6/18/2007 7:14:02 PM
Poor,

Another sign to watch her for with migraines is upset stomaches.

I have had migraines since i was 10.
Currently have treatment with a leading Dr in the world. (thankfully she is in my town)
Often children are misdiagnosed with migraines........
Do the research, there are many things you can to to prevent some....... depending on their causes. One of the big ones is food elimination. Unfortunately we have no controll over weather induced Migraines.
At this stage for me I have gone to the extreme final measure of getting Botox in my head every couple of months. (stop laughing so hard......... it works)
Whatever you do, dont let them tell you it is all in her head. Most doctors dont believe migraines are real and it is psychotic episodes and they will try to hit her with anti-depressants.
Another simple solution to help her is eliminate odours, ie. perfumes, room sprays and other such additives from her environment. Simply taking away scented fabric softener can help too.

Keep track, 3 or more stomach aches in a month start fighting for further testing and treatment. Prevent her from going through the agony if you can.......
 PoorWhiteGirl
Msg: 20
Posted: 6/19/2007 7:00:23 AM
^^^^

It's not a "real" migraine in the sense that her head hurts. Nothing hurts in fact, but it's got something to do with the blood vessels in your eyes constricting like in a real migraine and that's what makes you see black areas and spots and stuff. It's kinda interesting. http://www.relieve-migraine-headache.com/eye-migraines.html

And don't worry, I won't let them tell me it's all in her head. In fact, they didn't even think that, and the doc said he could see some stuff on her eye. Hell, I'm still intrigued by the freckle! lol
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 21
Posted: 6/19/2007 9:31:59 AM
This might be the same or similar as to what I was diagnosed with..."non-symptomatic migraines." I did not have the actual headache, but I had other symptoms...blurred vision, disorientation, stuttered speech, blurry spots (mine were never RED...always grayish)....

Too interesting!

So...does the freckle cause any concerns?
 writer59
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 6/19/2007 12:22:30 PM
^^^^^ Kat, You can always start learning Braille and tactile sign language! lol

If your family doesn't have Usher's I wouldn't worry about it.

This is great news... and its good you're on top of things. Even tho it turned out not to be so serious its good you went to the Dr anyways so you can at least have peace of mind.

More good news your way too: I bet your kid is still elgible for the $40 gift card, after all, she started her day and completed most of it. She shouldnt be disqualified for that.
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 23
Posted: 6/19/2007 12:54:53 PM
^^^Como....Well I already know ASL...but I doubt I would ever grasp braille! Yikes!
 Cwgrlboots
Msg: 24
Posted: 6/24/2007 1:42:19 PM
So glad your daughter is fine!!!

~Boots~
 jtriple7
Msg: 25
Posted: 6/24/2007 2:28:06 PM
I had this at 7. I had an EEG, and the diagnoses was a precursor to migraines and a need for glasses. Floaters are usually not serious. Best wishes to you both!
Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > My daughter is seeing red spots. Help!