Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > What does a guy mean by "attractive"?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 talksalot02
Msg: 1
What does a guy mean by "attractive"?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
What does a man really mean when he says you're "attractive" as opposed to "pretty" or "beautiful"?

I always think it means something between pretty and ugly. I've gotten to where I hate to have someone tell me I'm an "attractive woman". And then there's "very attractive"...does that mean closer to pretty than ugly?

Please explain to me what this word means to a man when he's describing a woman.
 DrewBond007
Msg: 2
What does a guy mean by attractive?
Posted: 6/19/2007 8:13:29 PM
Why are you even concerned about it? He c ould be calling you ugly you know.
 Ikeaboy
Msg: 3
Posted: 6/19/2007 8:17:48 PM
It means you're attractive and he's already imagined what you'd be like naked.

If you would rather be called pretty or beautiful, let him know that.
 Rapidfire
Msg: 4
Posted: 6/19/2007 8:21:48 PM
This can't be stressed enough, STOP TRYING TO DECIPHER WHAT WE "REALLY" MEAN, women are the ones that say things that mean something different, men are simple creatures. If a guy tells you that you're attractive, it means that he thinks you're pretty, but thinks that the word "attractive" is a more subtle and respectable word.
 Sactocapo
Msg: 5
Posted: 6/19/2007 8:22:45 PM
The guy above me said it best.
 dfwdude
Msg: 6
Posted: 6/19/2007 8:24:34 PM
Attractive, to me, is a blanket term. He might think you have a pretty face or a nice figure or a great personality. He just doesn't care to be more specific than that. It's a safe compliment in that if he were specific (e.g. you have a nice face) it might make you think, '...so my body's not that great...' etc.
 JustJess1605
Msg: 7
Posted: 6/19/2007 8:25:19 PM
I would have to agree with the guys on this one. There probably is no meaning other than what "attractive" is supposed to mean. Women read to much into what guys have to say. Guys only say what they mean, unless they have other motives.
 acgoat
Msg: 8
Posted: 6/19/2007 8:43:48 PM
Attractive= when I use that word, means you are attractive to me

Beauty has nothing to do with it
 Wylie_Coyote
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 6/19/2007 8:56:17 PM
OP,

What a question. How about posting a picture and putting something in the body type on your profile?

When someone says you are attractive, in general it means that they find you attractive. There is someone for everyone and we all like different looks, body types and such. You can have a true attraction to someone's smile, their eyes, the way someone laughs or even the shy facial tension or nervous twitch. Who cares what they are attracted to? Isn't it more important that they found an attraction in the first place?

Until you get over feeling unattractive, you will be! Post a dam picture, put in your real body type and put this self torture cr*p behind you! Everyone is beautiful in their own ways. There is someone for every one and if you just stop worrying about it, you’ll find the one you are looking for.

Just one guy’s opinion.
J Mac
 TwistedSista79
Msg: 10
Posted: 6/19/2007 8:58:13 PM
Regardless of the words he uses, he still means HOT, BIG BUST, TALL, SKINNY ETC

*ducking away now, lol, but that it what I always hear. They say attractive but still mean super hot celebrity style type*
 sparda9
Msg: 11
Posted: 6/19/2007 9:01:21 PM

I would have to agree with the guys on this one. There probably is no meaning other than what "attractive" is supposed to mean. Women read to much into what guys have to say. Guys only say what they mean, unless they have other motives.

She speaks with wisdom. Don't read so much into things. Unless you are wary of their motives behind it, but more than likely, it means exactly what it says. No more, no less.
 JustJess1605
Msg: 12
Posted: 6/19/2007 9:09:36 PM
Thanks, I used to be that girl that read to much into things...
 Mosey_Burns
Msg: 13
Posted: 6/19/2007 9:15:25 PM
When I say attractive I mean I like the whole packadge, as in personality AND looks, unlike when I say beautiful or hot I'm talking about physical appearance alone.
 dreamblade
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 6/19/2007 9:34:01 PM

When I say attractive I mean I like the whole packadge, as in personality AND looks, unlike when I say beautiful or hot I'm talking about physical appearance alone.

Yep...sums it up. Pretty or beautiful means you're nice to look at. Atrractive means you're nice to be with. Take it as he's into you and smile.
 aikijin
Msg: 15
Posted: 6/19/2007 9:38:16 PM

Well said, De Bon Aire.

As several have said, don't read too much into it. We men are simple, direct creatures.

If I say, "You are attractive," it means that I find myself attracted to you. That's all.

The only other thing it could mean (to me) is that I find you very good looking, and your personality pleases me. Which is the same thing. (See De Bon Aire's post, above.)
 eyeforpix
Msg: 16
Posted: 6/19/2007 9:54:05 PM
It's the gentleman's way of saying you're hot.
 Wahnapitae
Msg: 17
Posted: 6/19/2007 9:57:04 PM
just gonna share my 2 cents again.. attractive to me is the personality. in other words an attractive woman would have to have a personality that enjoys the same hobbies as me, is very mature or serious when it comes to emergency problems with family. who shares their tears and emotions when something bad happens. who laughs at my jokes and excellent humour and who love's me back.
 mokaT
Msg: 18
Posted: 6/19/2007 10:45:42 PM
Attractive means guy knows he would definitely have sex with you...your not necessarily pretty or beautiful but something about your overall look and or personality is there...he may not be able to describe why but he knows you have it whatever it is.

Pretty means you have a nice looking face...your body looks good without being all dressed up…he may consider you attractive maybe not... guy knows he should want sex with you but may wonder why.

Beautiful is same as pretty except not only is your face pretty but your body is hot…or should be hot to most guys…you look stunning all dressed up... may or may not be attractive... could be to perfect looking to actually have sex with…guy knows he is suppose to want sex with you but is not sure why he may not.

or it could mean he just likes you weather your pretty or beautiful or average
or ugly....does it matter what it is called, he just likes you.
 foofoofancypants
Msg: 19
Posted: 6/19/2007 10:50:39 PM
When I tell a girl she's attractive it means I find her disgustingly repulsive and can't bear looking at her face for more than three seconds without throwing up in my mouth.
 man with ad
Msg: 20
Posted: 6/19/2007 10:56:17 PM
Attractive means it feels good looking at you.
 SAIUN
Msg: 21
Posted: 6/20/2007 1:19:12 AM

This can't be stressed enough, STOP TRYING TO DECIPHER WHAT WE "REALLY" MEAN, women are the ones that say things that mean something different, men are simple creatures.

Regardless, I'd just like to stress it further.
 mheath4
Msg: 22
Posted: 6/20/2007 4:00:27 AM

What does a man really mean when he says you're "attractive" as opposed to "pretty" or "beautiful"?

Attractive/pretty/beautiful/hot/sexy/gorgeous/pulchritudinous/whatever.

They all mean the same thing and we see them all in pretty much the same light. It's just a matter of how we feel like saying it. It's simply a matter of tact. Whether you are with a guy on a date that says "I think you're attractive" or some drunk dude on the side of the road says "you're f*cking hot," It all means the same thing.
 SlyKnight
Msg: 23
Posted: 6/20/2007 4:38:12 AM
It's context-dependent.

It can mean either

"I think you're attractive"

Or

"I think that statistically speaking, there are probably at least a few people out there who find you attractive in some way."
 braindrain22
Msg: 24
Posted: 6/20/2007 5:19:34 AM
If he says it to your face it usually means you have a nice face with one or two unattractive features which aren't up to his standards. He doesn't want to say beautiful or pretty so he says attractive.
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 6/20/2007 6:33:30 AM
When I say that to a woman, it's normally (like some others have said) more than just a physical thing. It means there are other things going on there, as well.

It's more an "entire package" thing, where everything works together to make someone interesting to me.

I can see a woman as "sexy" , and not want to spend my entire life with her. If I describe her as attractive, it MAY mean that I could.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > What does a guy mean by "attractive"?