Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > now that you are OLDER/MIDDLE AGED, do you spend less time on groomin      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 aNgeLiCbLoNdiE
Msg: 1
now that you are OLDER/MIDDLE AGED, do you spend less time on grooming?Page 1 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
When I 1st split w/ my ex 10 1/2 years ago, I went to a new hairdresser & got a more updated haircut & perm, & lightened my hair. I got my contacts out again, started wearing them everytime I put my foot out the door, along w/ makeup, hairspray, nail polish, etc. I also dieted & exercised like mad, lost weight & splurged on a new wardrobe.

NOW I get my hair trimmed 2X a year, trim my bangs once a month & buy the $3 hairdye at Walmart & do my own roots. I rarely wear my contacts, wear less makeup, don't use the curling iron often or the hairspray, hardly ever polish my nails. I try to eat in moderation, but if there is something I want, I eat it. I go for long walks when I have the time & energy. I now buy my clothes either on clearance or at Walmart or Target.

I shower daily & use deoderant

I feel more relaxed & happy being casual than when I was a plastic woman (not that there is anything wrong w/ that, to quote Seinfeld) plus I think I attracted the wrong type of men when I was more hi-maintenance.

The older I get, the more I look towards my own interests rather than pandering to someone else....

The question is, now that you are older & single again, do you do MORE OR LESS????Do you think the way one presents themself impacts who one attracts into their life?
 RapunzelRapunzel
Msg: 2
now that you are OLDER/MIDDLE AGED, do you spend less time on grooming?
Posted: 6/22/2007 7:40:48 AM
Hmmm, I’m still pretty prissy. Takes even more time now that I have to roll my hair instead of just wearing it long and wavy. I have to dress up for work every day, too. I feel gross if I leave the house without make-up and never fails, inevitably if I do I run into someone I know, lol.

I’m less vain about my weight, which I don’t think is a good thing. I’m trying to get that old motivation back. I think exhaustion factors in there. It was easy to be fit when I wasn’t working 55 hours a week, and most weekends.

One thing I am trying to do is not be too careless around my new boyfriend. He sees me without makeup often, of course, since I stay over. But when we are out and about I always try to look pretty. I don’t want to fall into that comfort zone where I no longer make an effort for him, or for me.

Besides, the older I get the more money I have to spend on pretty things. I like to be pretty and prissy!

Rap
 erm1956
Msg: 3
Posted: 6/22/2007 7:42:43 AM
I do more since I'm older. Trimming hair growing in places it shouldn’t. Moisturizer so I don’t end up looking like the crypt keeper. Regular hair cuts (because I can’t use the front, to judge the length of the back).
 moraima
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 6/22/2007 7:46:46 AM
I know that when I was young, a lot of us went through the plastic women phase. In the 70's, I would have felt nakid without my false eyelashes. Ah, how fashions change

My work and some of my hobbies require that I get dirty about 50% of the time.
Mascara and debris floating around don't mix. This morning, I plan to get a lot of maintenance work done, and I am dressed like a homie for the comfort factor.

I where make up (not much) about 10% of the time now. That fits my daily current lifestyle. When on vacation or on business trips the mascara will always be on.

I still get my high lights/low lights done on a regular basis. My hair is very long, and I want to keep as best condition as possible, so drug store products aren't going to cut it for me. When I am working 99% of the time my hair is tied up so that it doesn't get in the way. When I am at play, I enjoy my flowing down my back.
 lovin2blivin
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 6/22/2007 8:04:22 AM
I tend to think that the outside reflects the inside. There are days when I feel good about myself and dress up and do all the 'primping' to appear as attractive on the outside as I feel on the inside. There are days when I feel crappy and dress up to make myself feel and look better, and sometimes that works. Then there are those days...when you are 'up' to meeting anyone and you just need to get something done, so it's a kind of 'come as you are party' and although clean clothes are a must, the face paint isn't there.
The basic grooming remains the same, but the 'extras' tend to be done for special occasions rather than the norm. If I am dashing out to get something at the store, heck, I'm lucky if I have time and remember to put lipstick on! Tinted moisturizer is about as quick as it gets.
 firstlight
Msg: 6
Posted: 6/22/2007 8:04:48 AM
I spend a lot more time on my appearance now then when I was younger. For one I am more aware of my attributes and have more flaws. so it takes a little longer to play up the first and downplay the second. Plus not having little children and a husband to tend leaves a lot more time for such activities.
 ~squirrly~
Msg: 7
Posted: 6/22/2007 8:12:07 AM
I spend more time...because I can. When I was younger, I was too busy because I have 4 daughters and they took a lot of my time . Plus now I am in a job where I have to present a "certain" image. So regular manicures, pedicures, hair, make up, clothes , shoes etc is part of my life. I enjoy all the girlie stuff and I do it for myself. As to how it impacts who I attract....I can't really control that. Either they are or they aren't.
 Fireflyj5
Msg: 8
Posted: 6/22/2007 8:12:40 AM
I have always took pride in my appearance..did when I was younger and still do now..hair ,fashion,fitness,makeup,nails the whole nine yrds..I think it has alot to do in how one presents themself ..and the confidence you hold when looking your best..
 claypot
Msg: 9
Posted: 6/22/2007 8:21:28 AM
Well this aging fart tends to get ticked off at myself when I try to get all prim and proper.

Simple fact, EYE SIGHT! Glasses in the tub to shave, real treat, defog ever 10 seconds. Plucking the eye brows, lol, yah right, ever try to ware glasses and bring this metal object close to your eye, not a good thing. And lets not forget make-up. Sh*t, after I get done, half of me looks like Tammy Faye, the other half looks like Mortesha, so whats the point.

My lifestyle puts me out doors in the dirt almost daily, I refuse to use lotions in the summer, attracks bees, so I spend the winters trying to recover from the abuse of the summer sun, GESH..............
 cdn_guy
Msg: 10
Posted: 6/22/2007 8:23:08 AM
Spend less time grooming now that I'm older ?!? ... You've got to be kidding (lol). Getting ready to go on a date now is like a full body rehab session.

cdn guy
 mietzele2
Msg: 11
Posted: 6/22/2007 8:37:11 AM
I spent more time at it when I was younger, when I didn't really need it. Now that I'm older and should probably spend more time at it, it's just mascara, perfume, and I'm out the door. Ironic, isn't it?
Got to love my hairdresser though, she keeps me low-maintenance in the grooming department.
Now finding anti-gravity clothing is an entirely different matter.
 moraima
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 6/22/2007 8:37:20 AM
Must admit that putting mascara on now that I am older is more difficult. First one eye - check in the mirrror with my glasses on to see if the mascara made it to my lashes or if it is splatters on my eye lids. Then on to the next eye.

Plucking my eye brows with my glass on...............time consuming, and needs the skill of a surgeon.
 RussetAutumnRose
Msg: 13
Posted: 6/22/2007 9:19:58 AM
I actually spend much less time now than when I was younger. I used to wear make-up, high heels, and dressier clothes than I do now. (My job was one where I needed to be dressier).

Most days, now, will find me in shorts or jeans.. I still take tremendous pride in my appearance everyday. I bathe daily, use my skin products and bath oils, etc, wear earrings and attractive shorts, tops, jeans, etc. But, my main focus is on my inner grooming, meaning eating right, exercising and keeping my over-all health in check.

So, I'm more into natural beauty now, rather than wearing make-up, that tends to crack on older skin, or to look "too" made up. It is definitely as important, now, to be as attractive as possible, as it always was. I just do it more naturally now, and it does take less time. And I still get compliments on my skin, (thanks to Oil of olay)even without the make-up.
 Janet4now
Msg: 14
Posted: 6/22/2007 9:55:38 AM
OP, I think what you mentioned was that when you were first divorced you suddenly wanted to "get it all together". I think this is more about just getting out of a marriage rather than how old you are.

That ego needs immediate gratification when someone breaks our heart and how many people suddenly lose weight, buy new clothes and look fantastic after their significant other splits?

As far as changes I've made in my own grooming habits, I no longer have my nails done... I dumped my overpriced hairdresser -- (sorry George!) and I spend more money on supplements than I do on makeup.
 moraima
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 6/22/2007 10:24:40 AM
I used to smile to myself when my aged mother used to walk me to the door, and freshen her lipslip because she would get her mail from the mail box after saying goodby to me on the doorstep.

I can't think of the last time I wore lipstick, and may never wear it again.
 Celticmist
Msg: 16
Posted: 6/22/2007 10:35:24 AM
It's funny after working 35 yrs and taking care of the parents 20 yrs - now retired - I now have time to take better care of myself, so I quit smoking, started weight watchers, taking an excercise class, and can enjoy a good soak in the tub without the phone ringing with a family emergency. Ahhh freedom - even my condo is getting a facelift ( good excercise in that, let me tell you)
I have always had my hairdone by a hairdresser (ouch at the cost), but have never been much for makeup - clogs the pores, don't ya know I have also never been much for following the fashions - I wear what is comfortable, and what I hope looks good on me. Heels have always been a no no for me, as they always made me feel like the jolly green giant. LOL
 bayrab
Msg: 17
Posted: 6/22/2007 11:19:42 AM
I try to take good care of myself. Even if Im not going out in public, I put on makeup cause it makes me feel good and pretty. My hair is easy to take care of. I try to dress as well as I can, except on laundry day, LOL.

I probably put more emphasis on it than I did as a young woman.

One of the best things my son did for me after I filed for divorce was take me to Nordstroms for a "make0ver." It lifted my spirits so much and I learned how to use makeup effectively and not just slap it on my face.

Gawd I hate the term "older," LOL
 *tinydancer*
Msg: 18
Posted: 6/22/2007 11:23:29 AM
On the contrary, I've turned myself into a high maintenance woman. Now that my kids are grown and gone and it's time for me, I spend a ton of money on my hair, I get manicures and pedicures. I recently splurged and bought a shit-load of Mac cosmetics. I've bought a couple of pairs of $100 jeans also. And I'm enjoying the hell out of spoiling myself. My kids were always my first priority and I did without things so they could have things. And I don't mean that in a begrudging manner. That's just the way it was. My lifestyle now is something I can afford on my own salary, and I'd never expect a guy to pick up the tab for my pampering ... unless he REALLY wanted to ...
 carync
Msg: 19
Posted: 6/22/2007 11:50:36 AM
I now spend more time & money on my appearance than I did when I was a young single mom strapped for money. Now I have more money to spend on myself. And I care more about the impressions I make now that I'm socializing more. I don't dress to the nines, but I do take the time to look put together even if I'm just going to the grocery store. I'm happier about myself and my life these days, and I want my outward appearance to reflect the pride I have in myself.
 c_deacon
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 6/22/2007 12:00:06 PM
What use to take me minutes, now takes me hours to accomplish.....wait....that is another topic......

OT.......I am still concerned enough about looking decent for those around me, that I spend the time to make sure I am presentable.......

If I am in a hurry, then I am usually wearing a baseball hat to hide my undone hair, and sun glasses if not wearing contacts......

Does not matter the age to me, it is the "presentation" along with the "substance" that follows that makes all the difference in the world. I enjoy still getting that second look, and enjoy looking a second time at someone that did enough to themselves to make that happen........

Once again, it is my statement.....that "looks" will get my attention, and "brains" will keep me coming back for more........

Just my opinion.....
 TrailRider1
Msg: 21
Posted: 6/22/2007 12:12:35 PM
I've never been a make up doll...and I work around horses constantly, and they really don't care what I look like. Actually, I spend less time now then I did back when I was younger...my hair is long, so all I do is brush it when I go out, don't do makeup anyway, maybe a little lip gloss...not much more to tell.

Guess I'm just one of those "plain Jane" type of woman. Hey...it works for me!
'
 Fanny
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 6/22/2007 12:18:19 PM
I spend much, much less time on primping now than when I was younger...

I shower, wash my hair, and use deodorant daily, but that's just basic grooming, like brushing your teeth twice a day. I still have my hair cut once every 8 weeks at a salon, but as more grey started coming in, I opted for professionally done highlights rather than constantly dying my hair dark. (Much less work, and a much softer look...) As my hair has gotten longer, I stopped blowdrying it to prevent damage. Experience has taught me that less makeup works better in the long run; mascara only winds up in racoon circles under my eyes, eyeshadow wears off unevenly, dark lipstick winds up on my teeth, nail polish chips. (The last time I wore makeup was for a photo shoot; I put it on so that the lighting wouldn't wash me out, and I removed it ten minutes after the shots were taken.) I had the eyebrows and liner tattooed on years ago. Now it's just concealer (where needed) and lip gloss and I'm out the door. Oh, and the clothes are from WalMart or Target; I don't have the money to spend on clothes that I did back in the '80's. (I don't think anyone has the money now that they had in the '80's.... ) I think I look better than I did back in the years when I was blowdrying, styling, polishing and painting.
 moraima
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 6/22/2007 12:26:49 PM
I draw the line when my nail polish is chipped. If I am in a hurry, I will just remove the polish and go.
The reason I do my nail polish anyway is more about enjoying the nail art I use than what others think about my finished nails.

My everyday dress is either my professional uniform, capri jeans or shorts and t's in the summer. When I do go somewhere nice, I do enjoy making a special effort. However, that effort isn't anything like it used to be when I was younger. Back then, I used to change my mind again and again about what to wear. Now I just wear something that I really enjoy wearing. If I get busy and run out of time......no worries, I just grab anything from the good clothes side of my closet.

I am way more comfortable with who I am today than when I was young.
 Old Style Gal
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 6/22/2007 12:37:48 PM
I think I agree with most everyone else, partly because nowadays, there is more knowledge and emphasis on natural beauty and taking care of the inside. All depends on the situation, evening out - spend a little more time on the makeup, jewelry, etc. Daytime, grocery store, etc. - not so much, or ala naturale.

I do find that I feel more confident in myself now that I'm older and have found what is really important in life and don't feel the need to put on a pretty princess halloween costume to impress anyone. Saying that, I think it is important to have enough respect for yourself and your mate to take care of yourself and look presentable.

I pose this to y'all though, Here's the scenario: I was to meet a gentleman for a first date after work. At my work my jeans and hands can get a bit dirty. Some days I can get a little sweaty. This day, it wasn't bad, and I thought to myself, I'm sorta tired and wouldn't it be great to just go and meet the guy as I am. The real me, dirty and all, if he likes me, then he has even better to look forward to. Needless to say, I didn't feel comfortable doing so and went home and cleaned up. By the time I did and called to let him know we could meet, he said it was too late in the evening. I understand 9-5ers get up early and my schedule is never the same from day to day, but I just thought, have a drink, meet in person, go home early and do it better the next time.

Do you think I should have skipped the clean up? Would you? Usually, I can be pretty spontaneous and let the world take me for who I am, dirt and all. I'm wondering if I should have given him the option, me clean or dirty?
 moraima
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 6/22/2007 1:40:55 PM
I don't mind meeting my friends when we have been doing dirty work all day at say someone house.

I get asked often to go on a first meet after work so the person can drop by a coffee shop on their way home. I don't care if the person does the cleanest work in the world, the thought of a first meet and not going home to clean up puts me off big time.

If they can't be bothered to make an effort the first time we meet, what are they going to be like when we have known each other for a while?
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > now that you are OLDER/MIDDLE AGED, do you spend less time on grooming?