Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > Lots More Fish      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 MissDDO
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Lots More FishPage 1 of 1    
I keep getting e-mails (at home) from Inform Center of lotsmorefish.com [cupid@lotsmorefish.com] that immitate the POF notification of new matches. When clicking on one of their "matches", I am brought to a site asking me to update my membership (for a fee). The first time I saw this, I thought it really was POF, particiularly as the e-mail used by POF screen name.

Anyone else getting these fraudulent e-mails?
 Scheherrazade
Msg: 2
Lots More Fish
Posted: 6/23/2007 10:44:36 AM
Spammers always find creative ways to entice people to follow a link in their email because that is how they make their money. They take a popular site, duplicate its logo and pages trying to get you to follow the links but if you look close, the links go to some other address. I get emails from ebay, paypal, even my bank that are not legitimate. That is also one way to get a virus. Never click on a link out of your email unless you are very certain of it.
 TankD576
Msg: 3
Lots More Fish
Posted: 6/25/2007 10:51:16 AM
Hehehehehe.......well,

No pun intended.....that would be a form of "Phishing". You have to be on the lookout for that stuff.
Before you ever pursue something like that, it is always a good idea to inquire with who you think it is coming from to see if it is legitimate. More often than not, people fall for it because they simply assume because it has similarities. However, on close inspection, you can always spot something that is out of the ordinary. In this case.....lotsmorefish.com is obviously not this site.

-------> A search on "Phishing Attacks" would reveal more specific information.

Where you go, and what you do, on the internet, really dictates what makes you available for internet poisons. :(
Unfortunately, the beautiful resource that is the web, is ruined by people that do this type of stuff.
Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > Lots More Fish