Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Buying a birthday gift for a girl I've been dating 2 weeks?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Gregger34
Msg: 1
Buying a birthday gift for a girl I've been dating 2 weeks?Page 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
I was invited to a birthday party by this girl who I met off of here. We have gone out twice and talked a couple of times and had a blast. The party is at a restaurant and then drinks afterwards at a local bar. I really don't want to show up empty handed, but I don't think it's appropriate for me to buy her a $100 gift either at this stage since I barely know her. What can I get her and what would be considered reasonable? Something small yet meaningful (a little something), but what? HELP.

Edit: I will be going alone and all of her friends will be there (most I haven't met). Talk about a pressure cooker lol
 Ssinatra
Msg: 2
Buying a birthday gift for a girl I've been dating 2 weeks?
Posted: 7/5/2007 12:45:32 PM
hmmmmm try somthing simple and sweet. a bottle of wine? or maybe a burnt cd of music she like's? or maybe you could get her some chocolate every woman loves chocolate!
Other then that not sure what else bud. good luck and hope the pressure cooker's release valve isnt broken!!!

Sin.
 GreatAttitude
Msg: 3
Posted: 7/5/2007 12:46:40 PM
A small, yet tastefull bouquet of flowers (NOT ROSES). Don't go overboard on expense, but don't get it at the 7-11 either.

This is a 'boyfriend' type gift but it's also an acceptable gift for any woman, regardless what your relationship is with her.

THIS IS A SAFE GIFT!
 Gregger34
Msg: 4
Posted: 7/5/2007 12:55:42 PM
I got to Ask a Girl and I get a guy giving the advice lol. A bottle of wine sounds perfect. I love that idea.

As for the poster opting for the bouquet idea, I think I'll pass on that one as flowers at this stage is still a bit much. I'm still open to more ideas, howver.

Keep in mind I want to WOW her with what I get her or really impress her. Will wine do that? I want to do this in style, so that her friends will wonder why they can't find a guy like me lol. Know what I mean?
 junipermoon
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 7/5/2007 12:59:16 PM
a small bouquet of daisies would be perfect, along with a bottle of wine if you like. you could skip the wine, since the party will take place at a restaurant. but she'll love the flowers.
 splitrock
Msg: 6
Posted: 7/5/2007 1:05:23 PM
How about a small piece of lingerie? Okay, maybe that’s not appropriate at this point in the relationship. I’d recommend a simple card with a gift that contains tickets, for the two of you, to an upcoming concert or special event. If possible use something that builds on your previous two dating experiences. It has to be unique and thoughtful, and something you know for certain she’ll be happy to receive.
 sassyaquarius
Msg: 7
Posted: 7/5/2007 1:17:04 PM
I don't agree with flowers, awkward! Lol.. not to mention the fact that she would have to carry them around...

The bottle of wine is nice, but you will already be drinking...

I would base it on what you know about her so far, a man who remembers what I say always impresses me... what are her interests? Go from there...
 GreatAttitude
Msg: 8
Posted: 7/5/2007 1:17:41 PM

I got to Ask a Girl and I get a guy giving the advice lol.

So why do you think his advice is sound then? A) You don't take wine to a restaurant. B) You don't know if she drinks wine, or what type of wine she prefers if she does. C) Wine is what you bring to her house when she invites you over for dinner. It's not a birthday gift.

Furthermore, WHY oh WHY do so many men think that flowers are not an appropriate gift or that they are only for certain stages or as offerings of apologies. Do you men know NOTHING about women? WE LOVE flowers. And NO...it is not going to send the wrong message too soon if you follow my advice. You can NEVER go wrong giving a girl a bunch of Daisies. Trust me on this!
 halbailman
Msg: 9
Posted: 7/5/2007 1:18:13 PM
tix sounds like a fine idea
 Gregger34
Msg: 10
Posted: 7/5/2007 1:25:49 PM
anutherchance:
I was joking about the guy giving advice on the Ask A Girl forum. And with further thought I am also thinking wine is not a great idea to bring to a restaurant let alone if they allow me to bring it in lol.

Let me tell you something about the whole "flower giving" thing. When I was younger (up until the age of 23 or 24) I used to do the flower thing and I later realized the woman should like me for me and not the flowers I bring for her. Although, this is a birthday, I really don't want to come across as desperate or somehow embarass her infront of her friends by indicating courtship so soon. For me, the right time to bring flowers is when I'm alone with her and much more involved with her. I bring flowers for the women whom I have meaningful relationships with. That's all :)

Might I also ass that I would like to get her something that she'll remember me by even if the gift is small. And I want it to last. I just want something different that will impress her. Is that possible?
 rune3
Msg: 11
Posted: 7/5/2007 1:32:33 PM

Might I also ass that I would like to get her something that she'll remember me by even if the gift is small. And I want it to last. I just want something different that will impress her. Is that possible?
A book. Even if she's not the bookish type there are some wonderful landscape (local area or favourite place) photography books, or art or... something she's interested in. I admit I'm a bookworm, but lots of people appreciate carefully chosen and attractive books that are on things that are of genuine interest to them. It's something that can really show how much notice you've been taking of the things that interest her.
 GreatAttitude
Msg: 12
Posted: 7/5/2007 1:33:39 PM

Fair enough.

What do you know about her? Is she a reader? Does she play an instrument? Can she cook or does she want to learn?

1. Buy her a 'hot' bestseller, perhaps something you've talked about or something that you know would appeal to her. Write an inscription to her on the inside with the date (her birthday) duly noted. Be sure to include a new bookmark and/or a B&K gift card for her to purchase another if she likes.

2. Song book for an instrument she plays?

3. Apron if she's learning to cook. Some new kitchen gadget if she already does cook. Or both, regardless of her level.

The key to buying a personal gift for a new girl is you must know something about her to be able to pull this off successfully.
 Ssinatra
Msg: 13
Posted: 7/5/2007 1:34:37 PM
omg i just noticed i was A. in a the ask a girl . and B. i misread lol didnt see the at the resturant!! oi! mybad....
To answer the question.... no wine. But maybe you could do flower's or the burnt cd is still cool
 Gregger34
Msg: 14
Posted: 7/5/2007 1:35:13 PM
rune3:

Great idea. Se just bought a house and it's newly built, so maybe I can get her a useful decorating book to help her aroudn the house. You got me going now. Any other ideas? I'm looking for more and more ideas, but I like yours so far and I will probably use it.
 Gregger34
Msg: 15
Posted: 7/5/2007 1:37:08 PM
ssinatra :

Burnt cd sounds good too. Mayeb I'll do that and a household decorating or cook book. How does that sound?
 GreatAttitude
Msg: 16
Posted: 7/5/2007 1:40:24 PM
Burnt CD is lame.

Takes two seconds, no effort and anyone can do it. So what?

NEXT...
 Ssinatra
Msg: 17
Posted: 7/5/2007 1:49:49 PM
Oh come on i have given/ recived plenty of burnt cd's i dont mean just crap on you comp i mean songs that are cool have a meaning.... helloooo no one remember's those old mix tape's you would give to the girl you liked??????

As for decorating book's there always cool or maybe just a book in general?realy just depend's on what she like's.
 GreatAttitude
Msg: 18
Posted: 7/5/2007 1:59:14 PM
LOL...Oh come on yourself!!!

Yeah, I remember those old mixed tapes that my eigth grade boyfriend made for me. It took him all weekend to make it out of hand picked songs we both liked.\

Now a days, with computer generation, you click 'burn' and you are done. Write the name of the artist in sharpie and stick it in a jewel case. Big Whoops. He did say he was trying to impress, right?:
 jst_a_mskgn_grl
Msg: 19
Posted: 7/5/2007 3:44:11 PM
I recently dated a man a few plus times and then his b-day rolled around. Since I knew his pasion for chocolates, I went to a chocolate store and made a special sampler. Not your ordinary chocolates, either.

When you were emailing or talking in these 2 weeks, did she mention a passion or fondness for something?
 jst_a_mskgn_grl
Msg: 20
Posted: 7/5/2007 3:54:02 PM
No burnt cd - that can be used after like 6 months and you have a 'history'.

No flowers brought to a restaurant - I agree, love them on certain occasions, but not to have to tote around with me. Never bring them anywhere but to her at her home (unless delivered at her work).

A gift card to a bed, bath and beyond, home depot, lowe's etc? I, personally, would love it, but I know many women wouldn't.

A subscription to a home type mag with recipes AND decorating ideas. Not just a book, something that continues to give every month or two.

Do you have to bring a gift to dinner? Why not just a card and tell her she will get more later? A trip to the zoo? Concert? Amusement park? Maybe horse back riding or jet skiing? So many options. Just write a note in the card telling her about your special gift.
 Lynsteph74
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 7/5/2007 3:59:43 PM
If you want to "wow" her---and yet don't really want to go overboard on expense, think about what you know about her, and about your first 2 dates. Skip the bottle of wine and the flowers---although flowers would really wow any woman I know, she would have to carry them around all night and that would be a pain, not to mention awkward. I think you should either :

1-invite her to dinner-at your place- the night before the party, and then cook her something yummy, and give her a nice bouquet there with a card.

2-bring her a funny-not sappy!!!-card to the party with either tickets to something for the two of you, a gift certificate for a different restaraunt, or possibly a book that she will love, or that will remind her of your time together (if you went stargazing, make it a book on astrology, etc. )

Good luck-I hate this situation when it comes to men, so I feel for you!
 zsuzs
Msg: 22
Posted: 7/5/2007 4:05:00 PM
a pretty candle holder with some scented candles
or an scented oil burner
if she likes books
a teddy bear
custom jewlery
her fave magazine subscription
a nice scarf
go browsing in the stores there are so many things
 yesiamcute
Msg: 23
Posted: 7/5/2007 4:23:09 PM
Ugh, flowers are so hell no for birthday - they should never, never be given for a special occasion without a gift and are best given more "just because". And wine? Are you f*cking kidding me? What a letdown, even if you are a drinker. Burnt CD - what are you 12? At least put the songs on an MP3 player, now that's a gift.

Think small and personalised. What do you know about her already? Is there something she likes a lot? Some kind of interest, hobby, "thing" that she's into? Show her that you were listening to her when she was speaking on your dates.

Example only: I love silver and I'd be thrilled with a $10 silver necklace or $5 silver charm or something like a little anklet. I really love books, and a great bookmark would be nice. Or, I love scented candles and beautiful candle holders and oil burners, as well as incense. I also like really cool shades of nailpolish and if someone bought me like five different nailpolishes and put them in a pretty basket, etc., that would be cool. Or a new yoga matt. I mean there are just so many little inexpensive and thoughtful gifts you can get someone to show them that you are starting to know them.
 Gregger34
Msg: 24
Posted: 7/5/2007 4:46:20 PM
Lol All of your ideas are great. I have definitely decided against flowers and/or wine. Never really thought much of them as being unique. Something personalized is the way to go IMO as most of you have suggested. As for the burnt cd I don't see a problem with it being a "part" of a gift and takes more work than just burning the cd. It also takes a lot of thought as to the type of music and specific songs she likes. IMO it's more valuable than a birthday card. Candles are nice as well as the book ideas, BUT as most of you are saying about the flowers it also applies to any gift I give her, inthat, she'll have to carry it around with her (or leave it in the car). I'm thinking right now about things she has brought up and here are a few interests and characteristics she has:

-working out
-recently signed up for some golf lessons
- she's a full time RN (registered nurse)
-she has tons of friends and is always smiling
-loves all kinds of music, but still hasn't specified songs or types of preference

She has been feeling very stressed and busy lately with work and all the weddings and invites she's committed to this month, so maybe I can get her something that could give her peace of mind or relaxation (bubble bath stuff or those lotions and such that women like). Know what I mean? What kind of bubble bath or lotion-type stuff could I get her and is it appropriate?
 taray_queen
Msg: 25
Posted: 7/5/2007 4:48:17 PM
A $99 gift basket from Aveda! It's under $100 and they smell mmm mmm good!

I don't think the decorating book is a good idea. Flowers are appropriate. Chocolate are good, too (not the cheap 7-11 kind). Tickets for two to something she would enjoy would be good, but that's assuming she would wanna go out with you after her birthday .

BTW, my birthday is coming up, too!
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Buying a birthday gift for a girl I've been dating 2 weeks?