Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > What adds flavor to Chicken & Rice?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 stacj
Msg: 1
What adds flavor to Chicken & Rice?Page 1 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
What can I put in it to give it more flavor? I tried using chicken broth to cook the rice but it still taste blah..... no flavor at all! I'm not sure what else to try. Any suggestions?
sorry if this has already been posted but I could not find it
 dumberthanowlshit
Msg: 2
What adds flavor to Chicken & Rice?
Posted: 7/14/2007 11:11:17 PM
Probably a million ways...but fastest and cheapest....throw in a can of crream of chicken soup....or cream of asparagus or mushroom.
 kellyb
Msg: 3
Posted: 7/14/2007 11:25:30 PM
taco mix seasoning - very yummy - you only need 1 tsp- or more depending how strong you like it - also try fat free italian salad dressing - great for cooking the chicken in.
good luck
kellyb
 jamesarth1963
Msg: 4
Posted: 7/14/2007 11:35:19 PM
Staci
I can be quite creative when cooking and this has been examined by me a lot. I like using curry powder in my rice just a teaspoon to 1 cup of rice will give it a curious flavor that you might like. The cream of asparagus soup added is a really great idea as well as just about any cream of type soup will work. For my chicken try using a little poultry seasoning. I use that, sometimes garlic salt or chopped garlic. I love making lemon chicken as well but that is another topic.
 LanSir
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 7/14/2007 11:46:57 PM
I like to season mine with, flash fried (in about a tablespoon of very hot oil) cloves, cinnamon, bay leaves and sometimes, cumin seed and/or garlic and maybe some ginger. Sometimes I may add some caramelized onions and/or mushrooms, and/or toasted nuts like pine nuts, slivered almonds, or for an oriental flavour, cashews. Oh yes... and salt.

Try adding any or all of those, and experiment with other herbs, spices, and seasonings. Try garnishing with finely chopped parsley or cilantro. They add a flavour too.
 Mimimichele
Msg: 6
Posted: 7/15/2007 12:17:49 AM
Add some stewed tomatoes, onion, celery ,carrots ... lots of vegetables.
 Random Entry
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 7/15/2007 1:34:16 AM
Go beyond broth to paste type concentrated broth. Majoram, fresh parsley, onion powder and/or Lipton's onion soup mix.

You can also sear the chicken, skin on, in the pan you are going to cook it all in. Then deglaze the pan and finish it all up when baking. Pan searings/drippings is where all the flavor is. Small bits of carrots, onion, and celery can help. Wild rice is fantastico!
 Genrae
Msg: 8
Posted: 7/15/2007 2:06:01 AM
What RK said. Cream of Chicken or Mushroom really does add a nice flavor. And with it, add cut broccoli and bake it.
 FistnCuffs
Msg: 9
Posted: 7/15/2007 2:15:45 AM
sheesh i'm gettin slow in my old age...any suggestions i was gonna make have been posted already...
i usually add a tbsp of powdered chicken soup mix to the rice water...not a big change in taste but it does add a bit of color
the curry idea is one i use too...chicken and curry go hand in hand...i go easy on the curry tho so as not to overpower the chicken...more like enhance the flavor
chicken and garlic...abbott and costello...simon and garfunkel...bonnie and clyde...wayne and shuster...
sometimes with rice too i will use orange juice as a liquid to cook it in...the rice absorbs the orange taste
 Sushi-Q
Msg: 10
Posted: 7/15/2007 8:15:01 AM
Remember the old Minute Rice commercials? Alice from the Brady Bunch convinced us in 5 minutes, yes only 5 minutes, that we could flavour rice with whatever liquid we wanted - substituting it for the required amount of water, in equal measurement.

The weirdest one she suggested was Orange Juice. Somehow that just seemed wrong, and this is coming from a girl who grew up putting ketchup on her rice.
 xxfoxyredxx
Msg: 11
Posted: 7/15/2007 8:16:41 AM
i always cover mine in sweet chilli sauce when its cooked yum lol x
 Trinity23
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 7/15/2007 8:41:31 AM
The best rice dishes I've ever had all had the same components....sauteed onions and garlic to start the rice in and a few sprigs of thyme, some bay leaves and various other herbs thrown directly in the water to flavor the sucker. I've also added paprika to the water for some colour and a nice mild flavor.

If you get sick of the same old soy sauce I like using bottled italian salad dressing instead. Last week I covered my rice in a peanut/soy sauce mix. Quite tasty.

As for chicken......recently I made the most AMAZING chicken. Pesto stuffed proscuitto wrapped chicken. Yum. Failing that just whip up a compound butter, stuff it under the skin of a whole one, and roast until all tender and juicy and yummy.

hope this helps.
 AforApple
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 7/15/2007 12:24:23 PM
Just try Knor chicken powder that is a pretty good substitute for adding flavour..
 Genrae
Msg: 14
Posted: 7/15/2007 1:03:46 PM
That Knor is some good stuff...so versitile.
 savxavier
Msg: 15
Posted: 7/15/2007 1:29:42 PM
Try some old bay seasoning or any kind of seafood seasoning. Mix it up a lil, who says seafood seasoning is only for seafood?
Now if you really want your tongue to do aerobics in your mouth, try some Jamaican jerk seasoning. I'm not sure where you reside but if you cant find it in your town, purchase it off the internet. And remember this: A little bit of that stuff goes a long way!
 Ghostguy1
Msg: 16
Posted: 7/15/2007 1:39:00 PM
this recipe was given to me by a traveling Welding supply salesman ( no kidding)
and usually turns out pretty good

Chicken Bog

1 large baking hen cut up.. 2 cut up stalks celery
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 ½ lb smoked sausage cut up (I’ve used hot & sweet Italian here)
6 cups of water
salt & lots of pepper
Put all this stuff in a big pot and bring to a boil, Simmer chicken in there for 40 mins, remove, and debone chicken taste and for seasoning, put deboned chicken back in add 3 cups of rice, 2 cut up carrots bring to boil again , then turn to low for 20 minutes ( I usually add thyme to this) Serve.
 Sactowndude
Msg: 17
Posted: 7/15/2007 1:39:15 PM
Chicken bouillon and lemon pepper.
 Twilightexpress
Msg: 18
Posted: 7/15/2007 1:59:12 PM
I toss in 3 or 4 crushed boullion cubes along with a can of cream of chicken soup. It works pretty well.
 lucilou
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 7/15/2007 2:35:12 PM
Put a tsp of "accent" , that will improve the flavor, guarranteed, good luck green onion will also improve the flavor. lucilou
 superwomanforu
Msg: 20
Posted: 7/15/2007 4:05:07 PM
i just make mine with veg add some honey in ,very tasty and then when im about to eat it melt hard cheese on it add some 3 chesse ranch dressing ,stir together and whalla best rice in the world!! although i put chesse and dip on everything i eat.lol.
 FistnCuffs
Msg: 21
Posted: 7/15/2007 8:36:11 PM
the knorr company is VERY versatile...that make everything from soup mix bases...to make-up...to auto body filler to rail car braking systems...
i think i'll buy my soup mix base from a company that concentrates their efforts on making food products
 eris42
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 7/15/2007 8:59:33 PM
Are you marinading your chicken? What kind of rice are you using? I don't make a lot of rice but my favourite is basmati with a bit of curry powder. Try it with mango salsa:

1 Mango
1/2 an orange (if you have)
about half a red onion
1 red hot chile pepper
1/2 a red or green pepper
1T (roughly) fresh or freeze dried cilantro
 Heilige_Lance
Msg: 23
Posted: 7/16/2007 3:36:26 AM
honey and dark soy sauce....
1 billion chinese cant be wrong
 prettypisces0306
Msg: 24
Posted: 7/16/2007 4:11:56 AM
I find that a host of spices change the taste of bland chicken, Cumin is one of my favorites, adds an earthy taste. Use sparenly, Umm Cream of mushroom, or chicken Soups are good, also something simple as a boullion cube or two. Never forget the all time greatest ONION!! makes anything taste and smell great!
Happy Cookin
Jenn
 DaveESPI
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 7/16/2007 6:35:53 AM
ADOBO, saffron, and Onions/Shallots or garlic are great flavor enhancements.
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > What adds flavor to Chicken & Rice?