Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > POF MAIL: SUGGESTION: Mail Settings and eMail Contact Restrictions      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 rackhir
Msg: 1
view profile
History
POF MAIL: SUGGESTION: Mail Settings and eMail Contact RestrictionsPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Suggestion: To allow the user the option of blocking first contact if the person has children.

We have the option to block many different kinds of emails but we do not have the option of blocking people that have kids. We have that option under the advanced search function though.

I believe anything we are able to search specifically, for or to exclude, should be under the block first contact settings. This will give the user a much greater ability to be able to control what mail the user gets and does not get.

Thank you for your time.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 2
SUGGESTION: Mail Settings Children
Posted: 7/17/2007 6:42:08 PM
We have (3) Three Main Forms of "Blocking" for this Site:

We have the option to block many different kinds of emails but we do not have the option of blocking people that have kids.

Currently, there are no such Mail Settings

We have that option under the advanced search function though.

That is a Search Filter, not a blocking Function.

I believe anything we are able to search specifically, for or to exclude, should be under the block first contact settings. This will give the user a much greater ability to be able to control what mail the user gets and does not get.

The Admin will expand the existing Features and Functions on this Site from Time to Time.
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 3
Posted: 7/17/2007 8:13:28 PM
^^^Well I know he is a mod and all....but actually, there is your own little way of blocking out anything and everything...it is called the DELETE button! ;)

Sheesh, OP! You must get an awful lot of mail if you need to worry about filtering women with children! Lucky you! :)

Try putting something IN your profile about this...that will filter pretty darn good!
 christi66
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 7/17/2007 9:29:14 PM
LMFAO NO kidding just plaster that all over your profile I am postive you wont get one contact from someone with kids .
 GuelphDude
Msg: 5
Posted: 7/17/2007 9:39:09 PM
I guess that his choice if he is not interested in women who have kids, but I do not see why he doesn't just delete the messages or put something in his profile about not being interested in women with kids. I am certainly not interested in women with kids, but then again I am also 20 years old, not exactly father material yet.
 johnlvs2run
Msg: 6
view profile
History
block settings suggestion
Posted: 10/24/2007 11:37:13 AM
..................................................................................................................................

> This pre-emptive E-mail blocking Function was removed of a Couple of Years ago. In other Words, if you do not have an E-Mail Message in your Inbox, you cannot block that User.

Currently, we can only block people from email, not from profiles.

It would be nice to be able to block people from profiles, so they would no longer show up in lists of profiles or photos.

I did receive an email from someone that was annoying, and so I removed it. Later the person keeps showing up in photos at the top. I decided to block the person, which would hopefully block them from showing up in the photos (if not, it should), but can't do this because I deleted the email.

It is interesting that people can be reported from their profiles, for apparently no reason at all, but can't be blocked from their profiles. I have never reported anyone, but the capability of doing that is an invite for unscrupulous people, who could go through and report many people for no reason at all.

It would be better if reporting were restricted to emails, with some verifiable just cause, and the block feature was added to profiles, so they wouldn't keep showing up when not wanted.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 7
block settings suggestion
Posted: 10/24/2007 1:34:25 PM
It would be nice to be able to block people from profiles, so they would no longer show up in lists of profiles or photos.

Admin Comments:Search: Removing Users from Searches

I did receive an email from someone that was annoying, and so I removed it. Later the person keeps showing up in photos at the top. I decided to block the person, which would hopefully block them from showing up in the photos

E-Mail Blocking is applicable to Messaging, the Photos you see fall under the 'Search' Functions, outside the Sphere of your Mail Settings or other "Blocking Mechanisms".

It is interesting that people can be reported from their profiles, for apparently no reason at all, but can't be blocked from their profiles.

The Purpose of the Report Member Function has no Bearing on viewing Profile, until the Admin has determined Action needs to be taken, and then only in the Form of removing offensive Content or Deletion of the Profile.

It would be better if reporting were restricted to emails, with some verifiable just cause, and the block feature was added to profiles, so they wouldn't keep showing up when not wanted.

If a Profile is offensive, contains lewd Images, Spam, and anything else in Contravention of the Terms of Service/User Agreement, its not an Issue whether you prefer to view such a Profile or not, but an Issue whether such a User should be permitted to remain on Site.
 Dee4Two
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Please someone help me
Posted: 10/24/2007 7:53:15 PM
I'm trying to see the viewed me and it's only allowing me to get the first row. How come the rest of the rows don't move. Only the top row is constanly moving on people that are viewing me. Please help.
 johnlvs2run
Msg: 9
view profile
History
rows of photos
Posted: 10/24/2007 8:28:31 PM
.........................................................................................................................................

I believe the top row is by who was last online, of whoever has looked at your profile.

The other rows are in order of the first time they looked at your profile, the last one showing first.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 10
rows of photos
Posted: 10/24/2007 8:58:35 PM
Only the top row is constanly moving on people that are viewing me.
How come the rest of the rows don't move.

The Lower 4 Rows move everytime someone views your Profile, providing you have it enabled in your Mail Settings. Maybe no one has viewed your Profile for a few Days and may be the Reason the lower Rows are not moving along.

The Upper Row are Users who have viewed you at some Point in the Past but have recently logged into their E-Mail.

Usually there is far more E-Mail Activity of User's in the Top Row than new Users viewing you in the lower Rows.
 srvblues
Msg: 11
Posted: 1/6/2008 11:17:26 PM
Funny I have that in my profile and get lot of single moms wanting initiate chat sessions with me.

I even asked one "What interested you in me?" and she said I had a nice profile and I asked "Did you read all of it?" and she said "No not really, I'd rather chat and get to know you than read your profile"

?!?!

I had another girl on Myspace who had contacted me (I have it on there as well that I wasn't looking for someone with a kid) she went to my school so we chatted about that and she started sounding more and more like she "liked" me and said something about meeting for a date and I politely mentioned that it was on my site that I wasn't looking for someone with kids at the moment. Said "oh well that's ok, I'm enjoying talking with you and we can be friends" then immediately turns around and writes this blog post saying "this Neanderthal that I've been talking to who hasn't joined the 21st century...blah blah"

Geeze!

It's a preference just like not wanting to date a smoker, or someone who does drugs, or maybe you don't like white people. Why should someone with a child want to start a relationship with someone who doesn't want to date someone who has a child? Why does someone with a child want to do *anything* that would *remotely* have any negative impact on their child(ren)?
 flying4peanuts
Msg: 12
Does the person whom you BLOCK know you BLOCKED them?
Posted: 2/27/2008 12:20:49 PM
Dear Fish-members,

I've been a member for a while and always
believed in replying to EVERYONE who writes.
Common courtesy and good karma.

However, what if that person keeps writing and
you are really not interested????

The BLOCK feature seems GREAT for this,
although I don't want to use it if the person
KNOWS I blocked them. It seems kind of mean.

Sooo - does anyone know if the blocked user is
aware of the fact that they've been blocked?
Or is it a sort of invisible block?

Thanks for your fishy-help!

flying4peanuts
 Ticketoride
Msg: 13
Posted: 2/27/2008 1:35:05 PM
The BLOCK feature seems GREAT for this, although I don't want to use it if the person KNOWS I blocked them. It seems kind of mean.

You want a Feature to hide the Fact you have E-Mail Blocked someone without them knowing you did so?

That's not possible, since they will arrive here in the Forums asking why they can't e-mail certain People. Then we'd have to lie on your behalf.

Sooo - does anyone know if the blocked user is aware of the fact that they've been blocked?

They can find out ... or we would be fielding even more Complaints about "Sent Messages" not arriving or being accused of Bugs in the Mail Settings.

You need to read the Thread below to get an Index what I am talking about:

Related Links:E-Mail: Contact Restrictions
 lafenmom
Msg: 14
Posted: 4/6/2008 9:29:19 AM
what about blocking someone who keeps adding you as a favorite, when you've taken yourself off over and over? I don't know this person, haven't written or been written to by them and don't want to. It's creepy to be put up as a favorite this way.
 Deray_H
Msg: 15
Blocking IMs
Posted: 6/5/2008 7:29:36 PM
How can I block someone that has just contacted me by IM?
 Ticketoride
Msg: 16
Blocking IMs
Posted: 6/5/2008 7:45:09 PM
How can I block someone that has just contacted me by IM?

Related Links:Instant Messenger: Block User Link
 Carrie06
Msg: 17
SUGGESTION: blocking a user
Posted: 6/23/2008 9:00:55 PM
Thought i'd met a nice man off here but he ended up hurting me very badly. Ihave just put my profile back on and he is there again. It upsets me to see him but i find i cant block him unless he contacts me. As i dont wish to initiate any contact in order to be able to block him is there anyway you could block him. This problem is making it hard for me to enjoy using this site. His name is Cosmicdance2008. Your help would be much appreciated. Thankyou.
 veggiechic05
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 8/29/2008 6:20:30 PM
an activity partner can mean anything: a friend you can do things with, an F-buddy. it's vague, like "intimate encounter" (though that's fairly self-explanatory) and "other relationship."

as for image blocking, I too was curious as to why I could block a user's emails but not his entire profile.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 19
Posted: 8/30/2008 9:39:17 AM
as for image blocking, I too was curious as to why I could block a user's emails but not his entire profile.

There are no Profile Blocks. You can only block the Search via Hiding your Profile, Messaging Restrictions or E-Mail Blocks.

Related Links:Plentyoffish: (3) Three Forms of "Blocking"
 NewfriendsNewStart2009
Msg: 20
Being Blocked As I do not live within 75 miles
Posted: 12/23/2008 1:40:10 PM
Hey guys. per the above, I just don't understand it. I have the exact same city showing up as the people I am trying to message, and I'm getting the above message blocking me. Anybody know why this is happening?

Cheers!
 *Cowboy*
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 12/23/2008 1:43:27 PM
check your zip code again. I think its the zipcode they use to restrict the mileage from which they can contact you not the actual city name you type in.

Cowboy
 NewfriendsNewStart2009
Msg: 22
Posted: 12/24/2008 10:10:59 AM
Hey Cowboy. Thanks for trying to help. I've double and triple checked that to make sure its correct. The thing is, my city and province (in this case being Canada) is exactly the same. I just don't get it??? As soon as I see someone that has email settings, "must be within 75 miles", I know I won't be able to contact them. Kind of frustrating. Additionally, if it helps or not, I am looking for "friends" as the people I am attempting to contact are as well, if that makes any difference??

Thanks. Appreciate your thoughts on this.

Cheers from Western Canada!!
 Ms Taken
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 12/24/2008 10:50:33 AM
Try another postal code that's close to where you live. Some postal codes will cause problems because they're not in the database (they're new, mistakenly left out of the list, etc.) Last resort, put the postal code for City Hall in your profile settings. That should work if anything will.
 lets take it slow
Msg: 24
POF MAIL: SUGGESTION: Mail Settings and eMail Contact Restrictions
Posted: 1/1/2009 1:00:30 PM
can you block from you deleted messages screen...I have several messages I deleted and didnt realize I had to block before I deleted.....help

I deleted several messages but now want to block the people.....how can I? is there a blocked list I can type their profile name to? Inother words I dont have a new message to use to block...thnks
 Ticketoride
Msg: 25
POF MAIL: SUGGESTION: Mail Settings and eMail Contact Restrictions
Posted: 1/1/2009 1:33:08 PM
As soon as I see someone that has email settings, "must be within 75 miles", I know I won't be able to contact them.

Related Links ยปMail Settings: 75 Mile Distance Restriction

I deleted several messages but now want to block the people.....how can I? is there a blocked list I can type their profile name to? Inother words I dont have a new message to use to block...thnks

Related Links:Plentyoffish: (3) Three Forms of "Blocking"
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > POF MAIL: SUGGESTION: Mail Settings and eMail Contact Restrictions