Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Greban Chef knife      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 DaveESPI
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Greban Chef knifePage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
LOL.. I was doing a fast Google image search for a Greban Brand Chef knife.....

What shows up ? a few forum profile pics ..... or none other than myself and Fistncuffs...

LMAO.....

Personal choice in knives is a big thing. I work in a kitchen where anything "nice" gets beat up and stolen, or destroyed over time, so bringing in expensive stuff and personal tools can be risky.
 FistnCuffs
Msg: 2
Greban Chef knife
Posted: 7/20/2007 11:55:15 AM
lmao...looks like we are immortalized huh dave?...
i love bein famous...lol...
 kaagwaantaan
Msg: 3
Greban Chef knife
Posted: 7/20/2007 4:50:15 PM
Okay..

What about Kramer Knives?

And while I'm at it. Do you EVER invest in a nice knife?

Maybe for personal home use or do you just stick to the working knife?

Are chef's going to use a $1100 knife you waited 17 mos for or will you display it in a shadow box the way Hunters hang Sheep heads on walls?
 FistnCuffs
Msg: 4
Greban Chef knife
Posted: 7/20/2007 9:01:02 PM
kramer from seinfeld makes knives now since he got booted off the show?...how cool is that...
 kaagwaantaan
Msg: 5
Greban Chef knife
Posted: 7/20/2007 9:08:45 PM
Robert Kramer.

Started out as a chef. Then went to being a knife sharpener.

Now he makes his own knifes. My cousin is positively drooling for one.
 FistnCuffs
Msg: 6
Greban Chef knife
Posted: 7/20/2007 10:09:07 PM
i have made knives before...mostly hunting/fishing knives...when i worked in the tool room at work i used to collect the broken power hack saw blades...very good high carbon steel...made the tang of the blade run the length of the handle...drilled two holes thru it and used solid brass rivets to hold the walnut handles on...
its not hard to make a knife...just time consuming...the power hack saw blades would take a very keen edge...you could literally shave with it
 DaveESPI
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Greban Chef knife
Posted: 7/20/2007 11:53:31 PM
I own what I use.

the only difference in a "Nice Knife" and a "utility knife" is the amount of use and abuse it can take and the character it has.........

Knicks, gouges, melted handles, dings in the pommel......... all that stuff..... it defines what makes my knives part of me :). Plus Owning "expensive" knives dont' make them more worthy of killing your coworkers with.... LOL.
 kaagwaantaan
Msg: 8
Greban Chef knife
Posted: 7/21/2007 3:48:43 PM

Plus Owning "expensive" knives dont' make them more worthy of killing your coworkers with.... LOL.

But ...but....but...

If you kill your co-worker, then the cops will take away the working knife and keep it as State's evidence. What do you use while you are out on bail awaiting the trial?
 katampa
Msg: 9
Greban Chef knife
Posted: 7/21/2007 4:35:03 PM
how much do these cooking knives cost i really would like a good knife but am a little scared in cutting my fingers off...whats a good starter knife
 writer59
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Greban Chef knife
Posted: 7/21/2007 6:01:09 PM
I own a set of Wustof knives... very nice!
 offthewheel
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Greban Chef knife
Posted: 7/21/2007 6:12:15 PM
I love my Wustof knives too... and, of course, they've discontinued the style I have... but I have all the ones I'll ever use... and a couple more... heheh...
 FistnCuffs
Msg: 12
Greban Chef knife
Posted: 7/21/2007 6:51:08 PM
kaag...i would use the shank i made in the prison machine shop
 ileanakilin
Msg: 13
Greban Chef knife
Posted: 7/21/2007 8:35:46 PM
katampa ... you guys are funny , anyway ...what you should worry about is a dull-BAD knife , most likely you'd cut your fingers off with that ...lol... // and just to be funny at work since i'm also very protective of MY knife , i have a couple of Wall Mart cheapos for the staff to 'steal' .
 slowcooker
Msg: 14
Greban Chef knife
Posted: 7/22/2007 10:07:28 AM
One of the causes of my divorce...one amongst many...my "Good" kitchen knives getting chucked in the dishwasher.....now as soon as I have my own kitchen sorted I will "invest" in some good steel again.
 DaveESPI
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Greban Chef knife
Posted: 7/22/2007 11:57:59 AM
LMAO.... This was soooooo going to be my reply.....

[I]kaag...i would use the shank i made in the prison machine shop [/I]

Knives really area personal preferance. Considerign I use my knives about 50+ hours a week.......... I'd say that for me, the wear and tear on the blades is high, but I also need a fast sharpening edge. A lot of high quality steel blades need a lot of work to get an edge on, but will hold it longer than most "comerch" work grade knives.

Me, I like being able to grind down my blade and not care if it wears out before the end of my shift, I know it is only a 90 second session with my angle grinder or the chef's sharpening steel away from having a new edge.
 Random Entry
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Greban Chef knife
Posted: 7/22/2007 2:53:21 PM
katampa: What she said I'll reiterate on it. Buy a good sharpener, whatever you like, and practice/USE it. I will take a two dollar sharp knife over a two hundred dollar dull knife every single time, unless I can take the expensive knife home and sharpen it.

I like to hand sharpen knives just sitting around watching TV. I prefer my hand-me-down grandma's No 57 Carborundum stone with its orange milk paint handle. Probably pretty spendy for its day. Actually I have a small set of carborundum brand stones. The small blue diamond shaped one is for scissors. Carborundum is still great stuff even today!

I usually spit on it and sharpen away with last week's TV guide underneathe. That's maybe a once a month or three deal. From day to day they just see the sharpening steel.
 writer59
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Greban Chef knife
Posted: 7/22/2007 3:08:21 PM

One of the causes of my divorce...one amongst many...my "Good" kitchen knives getting chucked in the dishwasher....

I hear ya! My then husband once tried to separate frozen chicken with my Wustoff paring knfe, and shrugged it off when I was obviously very upset at seeing the mangled knife. He buys expensive tools, so he ought to have a handle (no pun) on it. Even the little paring knife, its not cheap. I still mourn that thing!

I hate to admit this but I am terrified of sharpening the knives and ruining them.
 SeanK86
Msg: 18
Greban Chef knife
Posted: 7/22/2007 4:15:08 PM
I use Wustof knives, both at home and work, primarily a classic Wustof Chef's Knife and a Wustof Grand Prix II Santoku.

I don't do a whole lot of knife work, maybe 2-3 hours TOPS a day, so it works out well for me.

At the restaurant I work during winter, though, I do maybe 1 hour of knife work a day, sometimes less.
 offthewheel
Msg: 19
view profile
History
I knew it was over when...
Posted: 7/22/2007 4:50:37 PM
My last bf was cutting something and dropped my fav chef knife... it ended up point down in the floor and I was more worried about the knife then if he'd hurt himself... Doh!

...he was fine btw...
 kaagwaantaan
Msg: 20
Greban Chef knife
Posted: 7/22/2007 4:52:56 PM
Cooker,

I feel your pain....I've caught my kids doing the same thing with my 8 and 10 inch chef knives.

Unfortunately, I cannot divorce them.

I just got some new pans and I've told my teenage daughters that they WILL be washing them by hand.

I waited a long time for this set of cookware and frankly, I love it almost as much as I love them.

They just stood and stared at me jaws hanging open.

I haven't a clue how to sharpen knives. I'd love to learn how to put a proper edge on my knife. Frankly, dull knives make me cranky
 FistnCuffs
Msg: 21
Greban Chef knife
Posted: 7/22/2007 6:05:42 PM
we already ran the gamut on knife sharpening...there are two ways to sharpen a blade...1...along the length of the blade...its infinitely faster but the edge doesnt hold up very well...due to the sharpening process leaving miniature "fault lines" along the blades length...
or...2...from the cutting edge back to the spine of the blade...this method produces a more clean cutting, longer lasting edge...
as far as to which method is sharper...they both get just as sharp...the whole thing about sharpening is you wanna try to reduce the burr that forms on the cutting edge...i.e...if you sharpen the right side of a blade...the burr goes left...if you sharpen the left side...the burr goes right...thats why if you are using a stone...take the same number of strokes on each side of the blade...i used to use a "hard arkansas" stone for my hunting knives...
there are a couple of compound angles and such to worry about...also into play is whether the edge is hollow ground or flat ground yadda yadda yadda
heres what i do with the knives i use at work...
i take a sharpener consisting of two, round ceramic stones set in a handle to the correct angle...make anywhere from 10 to 20 swipes from the end of the blade to the tip...presto...sharp...takes maybe 30 seconds...i bought the sharpener at canadian tire sporting goods section for about 10 bucks...i touched up all the knives at work a while back and the other cooks couldnt believe the renewed life the old blades got...
i am not gonna get into a p1ssin contest here but the stones i use are fast...effective...and cheap...and anyone can use them because the correct cutting angle is built in...you cant wreck your knives using it...
 Genrae
Msg: 22
Greban Chef knife
Posted: 7/22/2007 7:42:34 PM
Geeez! This thread is for the hard core...or in your case, the sharp blades. $800 for a knife... uh uh. I paid $100 for a set of four or five about 20 years ago, it still will cut leather, and I've never sharpened it. Some off the wall brand called Quikkut. I thought I was crazy for spending that kind of money on knives.
Msg: 23
Greban Chef knife
Posted: 7/22/2007 8:15:32 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 FistnCuffs
Msg: 24
Greban Chef knife
Posted: 7/22/2007 8:31:59 PM
yeah well thats easy for you to say band campgirl
 kaagwaantaan
Msg: 25
Greban Chef knife
Posted: 7/22/2007 8:32:15 PM
fistncuffs.

I totally appreciate the overload of information.

Unfortunately, I'm a kinetic learner. I feel manuals should only be consulted as the absoute last resort. Most of what you typed went straight over my head. However them "green" analytical types are probably in hog heaven.

If I lived in a large city, I'd just ship my knives out for the weekend and order pizza.

But I do appreciate the effort you went thru.

Hey, if you are interested, I can reciprocate by explaining how to do a sinus wash.
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Greban Chef knife