Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > PoF login Timeout      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 puf_the_majic_dragon
Msg: 1
PoF login TimeoutPage 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
The timeout for my login is WAY too short. I'll log in, write a message, and when I click send I've been logged out. This is my personal computer, nobody else ever touches it (by pain of death). There needs to be a longer timeout or even an option to disable it completely - a permanent login would be GREAT. It's sooo annoying/aggrivating when you spend so much time writing a long and detailed message only to lose it all. PLEEEEASE!
 puf_the_majic_dragon
Msg: 2
PoF login Timeout
Posted: 8/10/2007 3:52:53 PM
I'm pretty meticulous about my spelling on my own. And it's so difficult/inconvenient to have to compose a message in notepad when there's a built in text box right here for it. I understand the limits of a server and the maximum number of logged in accounts - however if PoF has that many active users that it's an issue, they need to upgrade/cluster their web servers. If a donation would help with this I'd gladly make it, but I don't think a 20 minute or 30 minute timeout is unreasonable. 15 minutes IS unreasonable, IMO. Plus consider the server overhead in having all those users re-login every 17 minutes.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 3
PoF login Timeout
Posted: 8/10/2007 5:07:43 PM
Also Bandwidth and Security Issues ...
 puf_the_majic_dragon
Msg: 4
PoF login Timeout
Posted: 8/10/2007 5:34:20 PM
Bandwidth is only used when a user is actively browsing the site, and therefore already logged in. Additional (unnecessary) bandwidth is expended loading login pages repeatedly.

The only security issue would be someone using my account while I'm away, which wouldn't be a problem for anyone who would use an indefinite timeout, since those people would be using private personal computers. For those who would use an extended (30 minute) timeout, the risk is negligible - barely more than the already existing risk with a 15 minute timeout, since most "account hijacking" of that sort occurs within the first 5 minutes that you're away anyway.

The forums have an indefinite timeout - I logged in once weeks ago when I signed up and haven't had to log back into the forums again since. It's great.

Why all the negetive feedback about this? What's wrong with putting a checkbox in my account settings page that drops a cookie and keeps me logged in on this machine? I'm not asking PoF to force everyone to use a permanent login, I'm asking for them to implement the OPTION for those of us who would use it.
 puf_the_majic_dragon
Msg: 5
PoF login Timeout
Posted: 8/11/2007 8:02:23 AM
I'm well aware of how sessions work, as well as all the performance and bandwidth considerations in running a web server. I operate my own web server and I host it on a Pentium III 550 over cable internet. I manage the Apache server myself, I write the php/html myself, I monitor the resources the site uses myself. While I don't have nearly the user base that PoF does, I do have an understanding of all the aspects of running a web site.

An idle session uses zero bandwidth, but it does use VERY few system resources. MOST of the bandwidth and resources are used by active sessions by active users, where the idle timeout makes no difference anyway. Just holding the idle session open uses an absolute minimum of resources - literally a couple bytes of memory to hold a session id and a timestamp. I don't believe adding the option for a 30 minute timeout would have any noticable effect on overall performance.

The only consideration would be the maximum number of open sessions allowed - and for that I'd like to see some statistics on the average number of open sessions compared to the maximum allowed. That would be the deciding factor in adding another server to help in session management, and as I said, I'd be willing to donate towards that cause if it would help.

I didn't start this thread to argue over the feasibility or practicality of extending the timeout period or to banter over the cost/benefits of it - I started it to let that one single guy managing the servers know that there are people who would like a longer timeout period, and let him decide when and if it was worth providing. I was hoping I wasn't the only one, but apparently I am. More's the pity I guess.
 yayawhatever
Msg: 6
view profile
History
PoF login Timeout
Posted: 8/11/2007 8:20:52 AM
Here's a bit of reading on this subject:
time out
 puf_the_majic_dragon
Msg: 7
PoF login Timeout
Posted: 8/11/2007 9:36:50 AM
You know I did a thorough search before starting this thread - but of course all my search terms used correct spelling >.< go figure nobody can spell timeout right.

Just as an aside - I don't use the IM system, so if session time is related to IM availability, perhaps increasing the timeout for users who have disabled IMs would be an option.

It also took 2 months for a response to show up on that other thread - I suppose I should be glad I got heard at all.

its 15 minutes, but if the site is overloaded then all sessions are dropped.

I'd like to know what the overload point is and what the average load is in comparison. Not that I don't believe it's an issue, but I'm just a technical sort of person and hard numbers and statistics make more sense to me.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 8
PoF login Timeout
Posted: 8/11/2007 11:31:26 AM
We are also looking at Issues in Respect to the Processing of certain Control Sessions that can lead to the Consumption of all Firewall Session Table Entries, resulting in Denial of Service to the protected Network Resources.

markus
Msg: 9
view profile
History
PoF login Timeout
Posted: 8/11/2007 12:02:38 PM
Its the load balancer, chances are you are using a different IP on every page request.

I tried doing cookie switching but that just made things worse and it looks like cookies were getting corrupted. Basically i fix it for one set of users and break it for another.
 puf_the_majic_dragon
Msg: 10
PoF login Timeout
Posted: 8/11/2007 12:30:28 PM
Would it be possible to extend the timeout ONLY while someone is in the message editor?

That's really a silly question - but if conventional ideas haven't worked out perhaps something a bit unconventional might work - or at least spawn a few other ideas that might. I'd have to see your code and know how you set up your session manager to know if this was practical, but I'm going to assume that it isn't... But it's a thought.
 markus
Msg: 11
view profile
History
PoF login Timeout
Posted: 8/11/2007 12:43:33 PM
its not that you are timing out, its that you are being bounced between servers and its spawning new sesisons on each one.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 12
PoF login Timeout
Posted: 8/11/2007 12:47:42 PM
This Thread shows a lot of the Login Problems we had recently: Login Issues
 puf_the_majic_dragon
Msg: 13
PoF login Timeout
Posted: 8/11/2007 1:20:22 PM
No, those problems are unrelated. I only have a problem when I take more than 15 minutes to write a message and the session times out. I can log out and log in fine, recieve messages fine, and send messages as long as I only take 14 minutes to write them. I'm on (non AOSMELL) cable internet with a static IP. So I'm just talking about the standard 15 minute session timeout period - unless the timeout has been changed, in which case I'll duly accept a good beating for being a moron.
 markus
Msg: 14
view profile
History
PoF login Timeout
Posted: 8/12/2007 12:14:15 AM
I increased the sticky sessions by 5 minutes. It was set to 20. That is the time your IP is bound to a individual webserver.

I'm not seeing many complaints so its probably just related to a few ISP's/ browser combo's
 puf_the_majic_dragon
Msg: 15
PoF login Timeout
Posted: 8/12/2007 8:27:40 AM
Coolio :) Danke
 MrGuyCaballero
Msg: 16
PoF login Timeout
Posted: 3/15/2008 1:05:02 PM
I'm having a similar problem as well. I literally cannot respond to email for days here sometimes, even if I have all my text in my clipboard and click reply, paste, and submit as fast as I can (literally just seconds). I know there are limited resources here due to it being a free site (which we all appreaciate), so I'm not writing this to complain. Maybe instead of having members communicate by email, they could be redirected to the forums to either threads that only they and maybe POF staff have access to, or pm's, when they click the contact user link. I know you don't have private messaging here right now, and I don't know what software you use for the boards, but many forum software packages have this functionality. Just fyi, I have internet service from AT&T (formerly Bell South service, which is dynamic IP), so I imagine this must be affecting a lot of people.
 DJD146
Msg: 17
PoF login Timeout
Posted: 3/15/2008 4:37:29 PM
There's surely never been such an annoying thing az this login fiasco !
I think it's utterly and completely LUDICRIS to spend your valuabl time
to compose and write a serious and dedicated message for someone and
then be repremanded like you're some kind of idiot that can't write fast
enough ! ! ! Who wants 2 rewrite a msg that took time to concieve in the 1st
place. No, U people need to seriously provide a soloution to this madness,
cuz it is TOTAL nonsense
 Ticketoride
Msg: 18
PoF login Timeout
Posted: 3/15/2008 4:54:25 PM
No, those problems are unrelated.

Yes they are related, as that is the Net Result of the Cookie switching the Admin spoke of in Respect to the Load Balancer and different IP Requests on every Page, being bounced between Servers and the spawning new Sessions.

I think it's utterly and completely LUDICRIS to spend your valuabl time
to compose and write a serious and dedicated message for someone and
then be reprimanded like you're some kind of idiot that can't write fast
enough ! ! !

I haven't seen anything that resembles a 'Reprimanding' Type of Response because you tried to send a Mail and found yourself logged out. I suggest to not take Computer Error Messages personally.

Write your Message in a Text Editor like Notepad, log into your E-Mail, Copy & Paste into your new Message, fire off.

This doesn't just happen here on POF, but also with Millions of other Websites all over the Internet. Try posting on USENET through an ISP with low retention Rates.

You are paying nothing to use this Site, it is the Ads that pay for a very bare-bone basic Setup that requires next to no Staff at all. If you are not happy, go to Lavalife or wherever to pay for each e-mail you send.
 1medsportsman
Msg: 19
PoF login Timeout
Posted: 8/8/2008 2:11:52 PM
you don't loose your work.. it happens to me every time i write a note to someone.. all you have to do is re-log in and hit the back button until your work appears..
 Dito220
Msg: 20
PoF login Timeout
Posted: 8/9/2008 4:58:12 PM
When I'm trying to send a letter and get timed out, I too find it aggravating. Recognizing resource constraints, I have two suggestions which might help.

1. At the top of the letter writing window remind/suggest to the writer that if he/she expects to take a while to write the letter, it would be better to compose it in another application and then copy/paste it to POF.

A possible related enhancement would be if the POF letter composing box could accept the pasting of RTX formatted text. Then a person could use basic formatting like bold, italics, etc.

2. It’s nice that a timeout situation happens and POF shows the text of the letter written until the SEND button was clicked. But it would be so much more convenient if the hard returns were lef t in that text. Then a person could just copy/paste that text back into the letter composition window.

Rich in MN
 Lineman57
Msg: 21
PoF login Timeout
Posted: 8/9/2008 11:39:50 PM
You are the man!!! Just tested your suggestion and it worked, Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!
 danshen.
Msg: 22
PoF login Timeout
Posted: 8/10/2008 6:37:33 PM
I don't know if this'll work on your browser, but try it:

When you've finished composing in POF's text box, click in the box, do Select All (ctrl- or cmd-a), Copy, Paste, then hit "send message". I'm not sure why it works, because it doesn't seem like I login again, but I never have to go away from the page and then go back. Go figure.
 aeronautic1
Msg: 23
PoF login Timeout
Posted: 8/13/2008 8:05:07 AM
I read you post however, I need to interject here. I experience the same inconvenience yet on a much short duration... like 30 seconds. I love POF but it is a bit annoying to constantly log in everytime I chane a window. Any suggestions, oh great and powerful Oz?
 The B1G Catch
Msg: 24
PoF login Timeout
Posted: 8/18/2008 2:28:40 PM
I am back active on POF and find it VERY frustrating. Many new users I'm sure will get frustrated and leave as there is insufficient time to properly reply to an email.

I use a workaround by keeping another browser session open for the log-in and then send the message however those not as savvy with computers and browsers will not figure out how to save the message and loose their work.

There needs to be a workaround here - possibly a java pop-up if the session has timed out to easily allow the user to log in and then resend the message. OR - accept the message to a file, set a cookie, and present it back when the user logs back in?

Paul
 BUBBLYB
Msg: 25
view profile
History
PoF login Timeout
Posted: 8/28/2008 10:54:58 AM
Helpp!!! I'm in log out land also!! Never used to be, but within the past two weeks something happened to change the timing on me. As everyone else stated, you barely have time to read and/or answer an email before you're being timed out again. If you're reading the forums, you get timed out... if you're browsing profiles you get timed out.... I'm sure by the time I finish typing this comment I'll be timed out again. Very frustrating... I think the idea of having the option of being timed out or not is a great one... this way everyone could decide for themselves.... Please, please... can we give that one a try???

Thanks,
Bubbs
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > PoF login Timeout