Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > What exactly does very open-minded mean?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Pandora04
Msg: 1
view profile
History
What exactly does very open-minded mean?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
So I see this quite often on guys profiles...I usually figure it could refer to anything from the way a persons' mind works...to trying new things...
But a guy friend recently told me it's code that they are into guys too....
is this true?
 EyeDye
Msg: 2
What exactly does very open-minded mean?
Posted: 8/25/2007 12:34:34 PM
So I see this quite often on guys profiles...I usually figure it could refer to anything from the way a persons' mind works...to trying new things...
is this true?

Someone who isn't naive enough to think that they are always correct. Someone that can take a step back and see things through the eyes of another. Someone not afraid of the unknown, and willing to try something new.

EDIT: in my case anyhow
 scorpiomover
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 8/25/2007 12:37:19 PM
Nope. It just means we're tolerant of others, and try to see things from the other person's point of view.

I think your friend has been hit on one too often, and he's a bit worried about it.
 SassySky
Msg: 4
Posted: 8/25/2007 12:38:50 PM
I didn't know that, I am talking to guy friend right now on phone,
He said Ewww!, He thought it meant the same as You and I did OP.
Don't listen to the code thing,
but I want to hear what how the guys weigh in on this one
 CW_Guy
Msg: 5
Posted: 8/25/2007 12:39:00 PM

Someone who isn't naive enough to think that they are always correct. Someone that can take a step back and see things through the eyes of another. Someone not afraid of the unknown, and willing to try something new.

EDIT: in my case anyhow

I agree with EyeDye, and I never knew it had a homosexual connotation...
 EyeDye
Msg: 6
Posted: 8/25/2007 12:44:25 PM

I agree with EyeDye, and I never knew it had a homosexual connotation...

This is one of the perfect reasons I put it there in the first place. Anyone who has an open mind will not be so quick to think something like that. A rather effective filter indeed.
 Irishlass0668
Msg: 7
Posted: 8/25/2007 1:05:45 PM
Who the hell are you hanging out with, honey??? I say I'm open minded too.....that doesn't mean I swing the other way!!!
 psssst
Msg: 8
Posted: 8/25/2007 1:55:03 PM
Well... the internet meaning of open-minded is pretty much a sexual one... if a guy wants a girl that's open-minded... he actually means he wants her to spread her legs and then not get all huffy about him boffing the next woman in line...

Ahhhhhh... the internet has really enhanced the meanings of so many words and phrases...
 Kazot
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 8/25/2007 1:56:38 PM

is this true?

I never saw it that way.

I don't think I say I am open minded in my profile. Seems like a waste of words.

I would like to know what it means when women say it because a lot of them do.
 traderna3
Msg: 10
Posted: 8/25/2007 3:16:57 PM
it means they are open to a 36yo woman in a corset.
why you would ask this is much more interesting IMO.
 traderna3
Msg: 11
Posted: 8/25/2007 3:22:51 PM
actually, nevermind i get it.
i'm really weird and go for the same. this site is pretty normal overall though. a guy on here is "openen minded" compared to your neighbor. if your looking for someone of your mind set this is not the place.
 Harry Peter
Msg: 12
Posted: 8/25/2007 3:27:45 PM
I usually take it to mean that they are closed minded about being closed minded, and/or like it in the butt.
 Ihaveaname4you
Msg: 13
Posted: 8/25/2007 5:31:03 PM
This is what I think " open minded" is. It is when a guy will do whatever it is and accpept whatever it is in order to get the date. He is ready to compromise it all just to have the girl.
 Whole 9 Yards
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 8/25/2007 8:11:10 PM
No. No. No. Open minded usually means, open to his sexual fantasies. Now maybe he likes dudes but I imagine it is more about m-f-f thressomes, anal and or swinging.
 EyeDye
Msg: 15
Posted: 8/25/2007 10:58:09 PM
How very sad... Thanks for all of your replies, it only reinforces my own beliefs.

~~~oooOOOOoooOOOO How could I expect any less? OOOOoooOOOOooo~~~
~~~oooOOOOoooOOOO~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~OOOOoooOOOOooo~~~
 peterjol
Msg: 16
Posted: 8/26/2007 12:36:57 AM
Interesting question ....I have always thought of myself as being open minded but never really thought much about what exactly that means. In my case I think it's just that I would never condemn or be put off by anyone if they should have any strange fantasies or ways of being turned on ......and would at least be open to considering it, even if I decide it isn't for me.
 ChristianRider
Msg: 17
Posted: 8/26/2007 1:31:23 AM
I would agree with (scorpiomover) I'm very tolerant of others. It's not that I'm compromising anything one way or the other to get a girl either.

Typically I live my life on the fringe of what others (in general) consider normal. I ride a motorcycle as my primary transportation, I sometimes sport a Mohawk, I have piercings, etc. I'm not a goth, into grunge etc, I'm just me. I try to accept others and who they are for the most part (nobodies perfect) right.

I'm not queer or anything like that. I'm also very much into counter-cultures and anthropology type stuff, so it wouldn't really be right to rob someone of their identity or culture just to force something that I like on them, that in their eye's would probably be equally as weird to them.

For instance I am into being physically-open so when I put open minded I'm not just saying trying to say I'm open to all things and cultures but everything else as well. That doesn't mean I'm promiscuous - far from it. I don't believe there is anything overtly sexual about it in the least. I wouldn't expect someone who is not of open mind to accept me as I accept myself.
 peterjol
Msg: 18
Posted: 8/26/2007 1:53:18 AM
oh and I agree with some of the others ... I think being open minded is that you just have a live and let live philosophy to life in general.
 §wannee
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 8/26/2007 2:21:51 AM
This is what I think " open minded" is. It is when a guy will do whatever it is and accpept whatever it is in order to get the date. He is ready to compromise it all just to have the girl.

I think you’re confused ……..that would come under the category of hard up!!!
 ubkobalt
Msg: 20
Posted: 8/26/2007 3:39:51 AM
Homosexual?? I think "open-minded" is the term you're looking for.

Open-ended on the otherhand...
 Nick Thinker
Msg: 21
Posted: 8/26/2007 5:15:24 AM
I can see that many fellow forummers are being a tad too ... "open minded" or "liberal" with the use or interpretation of the term "open minded", diverting it to promiscuous or sexually liberal connotations.

IMO, open minded means open minded IN general, a philosophy on life, a type of mindset, not a proxy for sexual liberalism or specific sexual preferences.
 Heathenesque
Msg: 22
Posted: 8/26/2007 5:32:02 AM
Here's a thought:

Why not ASK the guy what he means by open-minded?

Women are all b!tching about being generalized by men, yet too many of us are doing the exact same thing. Every individual is exactly that... INDIVIDUAL!

Jeeze! Why does everything a guy says in his profile HAVE to be code for something sexual? Good Grief! Even Freud said that sometimes a cigar is just a cigar!
 beachchick
Msg: 23
Posted: 8/26/2007 5:56:17 AM
No one really knows what it means, and it can be taken TOO many ways...which is why it will never be on my profile!!
 §wannee
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 8/26/2007 6:08:31 AM
In a nut shell......Having or showing receptiveness to new and different ideas or the opinions of others.

Not something that happens here much!!!!!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
There are three kinds of people; those that make things happen, those that watch things happen and those who don't know what's happening.
 Fireflyj5
Msg: 25
Posted: 8/26/2007 8:42:35 AM
Openminded to me means..To Anything ,Not just sexuality but in life and may be willing to try anything, and agian ..Not just sexual..could be some other activity.

If I say I am Openminded..it doesn't mean I am into Lez capades ...but up for expierencing New and different things...I'v never been skydiving..but hey I am openminded and willing to try it.Basically don't rule anything out type thing..JMO.

Sorry to intrude Guys.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > What exactly does very open-minded mean?