Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > Mexican trucks in the U.S      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 mudflap1979
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Mexican trucks in the U.SPage 1 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
As of the sixth of this month 100 mexican carriers are granted full freedom of all u.s states as part of the nafta agreement our country has once again put their own interests ahead of public safety and most likely more american jobs down the drain. Just wondering what others think of this agreement.
Click any of the Links below to access these Forum Categories:

Closed, but
accessible Forums
»»
Politics
Current Events
Religion

Related Links:Changes to Forums
Links Removed

For the Time being, there is ZERO Tolerance for Trolls posting Flamebait,
Insults, or peddling Agendas. Automatic 28 Day minimum Vacation Package.
    Don't post here if you can't keep your "Cool"

Report offensive Posts as usual in the Forum Rule Violations Report Thread
 whisper67520
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Mexican trucks in the U.S
Posted: 9/2/2007 3:13:41 PM
It's going to have a tremendous effect on the Truck Driving Industry of Americans and eventually Canadian trucking also.

Since retail corporations are now using Mexican docks to unload foreign purchased/shipped goods, instead of Mexican truckers just bringing them to within the USA southern border to be picked up by American truckers, the Mexican trucks and drivers will now be delivering them Nation wide to the retailers warehouses. (Walmart)

End result, fewer dock worker jobs, fewer trucking companies and fewer American truck drivers. Just another way big business is sending our jobs south.
 marita_b
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2007 10:47:45 AM
our country has once again put their own interests ahead of public safety
==================================================

How does granting 100 trucks, access to roads,... make you unsafe????

and what exactly are you basing this opinion on?
 3rdtime
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2007 11:30:15 AM
Have you ever seen the quality of a Mexican truck? A 30 year old White-Freightliner cabover, that may or may not be able to pass a safety inspection. I spent some time in Laredo,TX, and let me tell you some of the equipment I saw should have been sold for parts.
 bliss serendipity
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2007 11:38:42 AM
Mulroney, our conservative PM during ratification of NAFTA, once said that free trade was meant to bring Canadian people to their knees, that the purpose of free trade was to bring everyone to their knees, all low income like third world countries.

At the time the Americans and a lot of Canadians were all for free trade, thinking it was going to benefit them the most, even though they were warned that eventually this would happen. It has happened and is happening in both our countries. Only benefits a few select eliates. Corporations dictate what happens worldwide.

In time, it will come back to haunt these overzealous greedy b**stards though. I do believe in that what goes around, comes around.

Corinne
 VeddiVeddiVixxen
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2007 11:47:59 AM
It's another perfect example of big business getting around paying. It will more than likely not save consumers $, but cost us $ by way of damaged goods, spoiled goods, highway accidents, ect. There is no standard of safety set up for the Mexican trucks/truckers. The Teamsters union filed motion in court for a stay of this order by the Bush adm., on Friday, and is also being joined now by the AFL-CIO as a supporter in the cause. Since, I believe 1982, the Mexican truckers had a limited area of travel, a "buffer boarder zone" if you will, where then these trucks had to transfer goods to US truckers. Free reign of our highways is a sure bet for countless problems.
 sassymiss
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2007 11:56:28 AM
It stinks to high heaven. The start of the downfall of of more jobs lost to Mexicans. What is to stop them from driving their junk trucks here and forgetting to return to Mexico.
 LadyRenegade68
Msg: 8
Posted: 9/3/2007 12:05:50 PM
speaking as a truck driver .... This is just another way for the Americans to lose jobs and freight to another country that will pay substandard wages and provide substandard equipment to get the job done. Freight is bad enough for the American drivers and with this development it's bound to get worse now that we don't take the loads from the borders. It's all about BIG business wanting to be greedy and cut corners and cost, forget about quality, it's about quantity and how much money can be traded on Wall Street. I know this is going to sound extremely bad, but it's my view and opinion ... it's one thing to be in Canada, it closely resembles America with the upkeep of the roads, laws etc, but Mexico "appears" (my opinion) to resemble the wild, lawless west. (I mean c'mon, the Mexicans are sneaking over the border trying to get out of there to come here and make a better life for them and their families, is it really a good place to be if it's own people are trying so desperatly to escape?? Think about it .... Canadians aren't sneaking over the borders in droves trying to escape their poverty ridden lives....) They use whatever equipment, however bad it may be, to deliver the loads. I have sat in Laredo, TX for days on end waiting on my trailer to come across the border (I refuse to go into Mexico) and seeing the trucks first hand that these Mexican drivers use is appalling. Now that they will be allowed to venture into the entire U.S.A. is a disaster waiting to happen. Truck drivers already get a bad rap with the accidents that CARS cause and trucks get blamed for ... it's only going to get worse with the substandard equipment being allowed over the borders. Yes I know, you don't agree, and I also know there's some crappy American companies and drivers out there ... but do we really need to add more from another country??? ***** stepping down off my soap box*****
 LadyRenegade68
Msg: 9
Posted: 9/3/2007 12:08:43 PM
to marita_b .... it's not 100 trucks .... it's 100 trucking COMPANIES ..... yes, it makes me feel very unsafe!
 whisper67520
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2007 12:23:04 PM
marita.....Hon.....Companies.....100 Mexican trucking COMPANIES....that could mean 1000's of trucks. You don't think big business in the USA are not going to close down their trucking companies and start companies in Mexico...to there also goes, dispatchers, mechanics, repair parts, management, truck sales and support staff.

And when you or some of your family are involved in an accident with one of these Mexican truckers and Mexican trucking companies.....how is this going to be resolved? You can bet its going to take years to get any medical paid and forget damages if your disabled for life or killed by one of them.

Do people even read the news, keep up on what is happening to our country and comprehend what they read? just shaking my head...
 MrBad_Kitty
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2007 12:35:52 PM
at least the Texas HWY Patrol can chase them down and leave my 90 MPH drive down I-45 butt alone.

from an economist stand point i feel its good for the economy, but as citizen all i got to say is...HAVE YOU SEEN THE WAY THEY DRIVE IN MEXICO?!?!?!?!? They are freaking nutz, and they want to drive on the same road i do? I dont think so.

This should go to another list of crap I can attribute to Bush. Bush Sr, but still a dumb shrub on the face of America.
 marita_b
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2007 1:41:52 PM
well I would expect anyone driving our roads to be able to pass a safty,....and out of Canada trucks is not exempt,...and that goes for the rules of the road in our country as well,....

just have a safety station by the border's that would pass out a sticker that hasto be displayed as ours do,.....I know when I drive inthe USA I have to adher to american laws, speed limits or I get a ticket, or worse my driver's liscce is revoked,....

so before any truck enters the country ,...it has to be safetied, andthe driver has to pass a driver's test,...for which hewill get a document verifying this,....

Any driver nothaving a driver's verification, or truck without a safety,....will risk having their truck comfiscated,...and be sent home,...as well as being barred from entering the country for a set time,..or permanently depending on infraction,....
 mudflap1979
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2007 3:47:42 PM
Marita b ...... As a long haul trucker here in the states i have all ready seen the effect of mexican drivers allready they have little or no regard for our traffic laws they lack respect for there fellow drivers and the motoring public.
 Not_a_FAT_Slob
Msg: 14
Posted: 9/3/2007 11:37:20 PM
I am a qualified truck driver in Canada. I am not trucking at this time.

If these Mexican trailers and trucks are so bad, the weigh station guys will get them. There are some state troopers that will pull over trucks and they are not afraid to get dirty.

But I do admit there have been times I have travelled for days without hitting an open scale.
 disaronno amaretto
Msg: 15
Posted: 9/4/2007 1:23:32 AM
Just wondering what others think of this agreement.
<--Thats what I think ...maybe a little of too.

t least the Texas HWY Patrol can chase them down and leave my 90 MPH drive down I-45 butt alone.
Dont count on that, doll, Ive found that the 5-0 rarely mess with the Mexicans in my area due to their lack of documentation and the Po-Po are far more likely to get their kicks from ticketing the two of us for speeding cuz they like the chase. Dirty (insert unladylike word )

This should go to another list of crap I can attribute to Bush.
Oh, come now, Kitty, dont tell me that this too, is Bush's fault?

Any driver nothaving a driver's verification, or truck without a safety,....will risk having their truck comfiscated,...and be sent home,...as well as being barred from entering our the country for a set time,..or permanently depending on infraction,....
*attemps to gain composer* Ahh, what a good one, doll.
So, then, they will be "sent home" and "forbidden from returning to our country"? That should work just as good as it does with the several hundred that have illegally entered our nation in the time it took me to write this post.

I lived in Mexico for nearly a decade and believe me, they drive far worse than all of you think and their inability to read posted signs everywhere on our highways will certainly efffect things as well. I say we all pack up and move to Mexico and let them have at it here. I kinda liked Cancun.
 Prime Beef
Msg: 16
Posted: 9/4/2007 1:37:17 AM
why do you think they want to build the Texas Super Highway?

http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts8039105.aspx
 whothehellknows
Msg: 17
Posted: 9/4/2007 2:57:23 AM
As a long haul trucker here in the states i have all ready seen the effect of mexican drivers allready they have little or no regard for our traffic laws they lack respect for there fellow drivers and the motoring public.

Sounds like they will fit right in with the rest of the drivers then.
 boatswamper
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 9/4/2007 7:24:21 AM
Meh, they won't be any worse than some of the drivers I've seen out there, and besides, walmart prices will probably drop a little bit more and that's what the people really want.
 whisper67520
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 9/4/2007 8:28:08 AM
^^^^^ you have to be kidding....once the competition is put out of business, watch things change. Greed is Greed....Just how much money do you think it takes to be the richest family in the USA? Now that is status, one doesn't want to loose.
 grizzelda
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 9/4/2007 9:50:45 AM
Whisper I believe that was sarcasm. Ultimately at the end of the day its all about Big Business and the bottom line. The point about cheaper prices and WalMart is valid. Big Box stores do undermine local and national economies and one of the most effective way of stopping it is not shopping at these types of companies. Support local businesses vs getting toilet paper for .10 less for 20 rolls and they will be forced into business practices that support your national workforce. Stop buying Chinese made products because you can get it for .25 cheaper. We are our own worst enemy but we cannot seem to see that, its easier to blame them than it is to take some responsibility. And its not only a US problem.
 sassymiss
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 9/4/2007 4:47:38 PM

Sounds like they will fit right in with the rest of the drivers then.

I have driven the highways for over 60 years and I find that Truckers are the most courteous driver on the highways.
 boatswamper
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 9/4/2007 5:06:25 PM
You're correct, greed is greed. People want cheap prices and this is yet another way for the big corps to lower them. You think Walmart type shoppers give a shit about truckers and their families?
 darkjedi1
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 9/4/2007 8:55:45 PM
Hurray for fracking nafta. Now we will have even more bad drivers in america, woohoo. Not to mention more americans will be losing jobs.
 whisper67520
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 9/4/2007 9:04:18 PM
The sad thing in the USA is that most of the family businesses from the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's etc. have been sold and swallowed up by large corporate conglomerates.

Pizza Hut, Dillons, Ideals, Fry's grocery stores, which were at one time family started and owned businesses, who bought USA, have been bought up by major corporate entities....Kroger Corporation has purchased large blocks of originally family started businesses. I would bet Kroger is owned by an even bigger corporate entity.

The more competition that is eliminated, the less choices we have for shopping. These large corporations have much buying power and if they elect to purchase merchandise overseas, do we really have many choices?

At one time we had 6 major grocery stores and a couple little neighborhood grocery stores, in our community of 28,000. Safeway, Ideal, Wall's IGA, Jack and Jill, Dillons and a discount bulk grocery store. Now we have Walmart and Dillons, which is owned by Kroger. How much choice do we really have? Also we had Gibson, Kmart, Duckwalls, Alco, now we only have Walmart and Target.

chuckle and yes I was being sarcastic in my earlier post. Just how much money does the Walton family need, to justify their gobbling greed? You think that even if they can obtain merchandise cheaper and have no competition, they are going to lower their prices and cut their profits, if they don't have to..? Walmart is now on military bases and several foreign countries. They are even in Mexico. Do you think people in Mexico are paying the prices we are for the same merchandise or are we subsidising their profit margins?
 *~*Red Queen II*~*
Msg: 25
Posted: 9/6/2007 5:56:40 AM
About 10-15 years ago, many Canadians made trips into the U.S. for thier retail purchases. Cross-Border Shopping as we called it, allowed us access to the great quality, variety & pricing of the American Retailers.

Since Wal-Mart to made it's Canadian debut about 12 years ago, we have also seen the arrival of more American stores & restaurants such as Best Buy, CostCo's, Montana's, Applebees, Payless, (IKEA is also here in Canada but only in select provinces). Safeway has been here in Canada for years as well as Pizza Hut.

Target has not yet made it's arrival here (yet). However, there had been something mentioned in the news that this retailer is looking into the possibility of coming into Canada with no mention as to which province/city they would set up.

American influences in the retail market has really changed the way Canadians shop. American Retailers know what it means to have a Sale Event and thier method has forced Canadian Retailers to follow suit. For too many years, Canadians were feeling frustrated & bored with the retail choices. The Competition meant that Canadians had more variety & better prices. We felt that it was about time!

I think in this aspect, The NAFTA Agreement is a bonus. But there's so much more to this agreement I have yet to learn.
Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > Mexican trucks in the U.S