Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > email settings - minimum message size      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 heybrowneyes
Msg: 1
email settings - minimum message sizePage 1 of 1    
I have mine set up to reject (I thought) messages of less than 100 characters. I wanted to discourage those people who send "Hi there" messages.
Tonight I got a message that siad just "Hi there". Does the minimum message size thing not work?
 yayawhatever
Msg: 2
view profile
History
email settings - minimum message size
Posted: 9/4/2007 3:40:03 AM
These restrictions only apply to first contact messages. If you have previously received and replied to another the filter would no longer apply to them.
 thomasislington
Msg: 3
Posted: 6/1/2011 11:28:52 AM
Ok I 've done a forum search and I found this thread. I registered last week and I've set a minimum message size, yet I've already received 2 messages way below that limit. In both cases, it was the first message these people sent me, I hadn't contacted them earlier, they are not on my favourites. Interestingly, I always received the user's pics when they initiate a contact but in the two above cases, no pic was attached. Is that a glitch in the system or is there any other explanation?

Thanks.
 *Cowboy*
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 6/1/2011 11:34:32 AM
hard to say as it does not seem to be a huge problem as you posted this into a thread with 2 posts and the last was in 2007.

So lets assume a glitch OK? Weird unexplainable things like this happen every so often.

Cowboy
 FrankNStein902
Msg: 5
Posted: 6/1/2011 12:43:58 PM
...Interestingly, I always received the user's pics when they initiate a contact but in the two above cases, no pic was attached...

That would be because you have "You must have a picture to contact this user" on your profile, so anyone that sends you a message and has a picture, means it will be automatically attached to the message.

...Is that a glitch in the system or is there any other explanation?..

I have had it happen to me a few times. In a couple of cases they where people that had contacted me in the past and changed their profile name, but a few that where the same scenario as you described.

So I would say "other" explanation would be more actuate.

Just like someone can post fake pictures, there are ways to get around word filters.
 justagrlwithacat
Msg: 6
Posted: 6/1/2011 3:28:08 PM
I got a "hey" from someone I didn't recognize the other day too. But it's so rare they get through somehow that it's not a problem. and hey its an easy guilt free delete.
 MsSookieStackhouse
Msg: 7
Posted: 6/2/2011 11:57:57 AM

Oh look - (msg 3) it's the famous Yoann Gourcuff, French professional football player gracing POF's website. I see your team is 3rd right now - well done ! .

I noticed this as well. Nice to see such a pro on the website.

I hate it when people use fake photos - especially celebrity ones. I reported the main image because, technically, it's not the users face. But I don't want my account deleted so I'll leave it at that.
 Doris_Karloff
Msg: 8
Posted: 6/3/2011 5:02:46 PM
Sarcasm aside, I too have a first contact message length restriction that seems not to be working.

I did receive a "Hello" message only yesterday..

Are the restriction settings worth using?
 FrankNStein902
Msg: 9
Posted: 6/3/2011 5:15:55 PM

Are the restriction settings worth using?

Turn them off and see it is gets any worse.

From my experience it does.

With them on: One or two slip by.

With then off: They all slip by.

Only downside is when you get someone that will use filler (extra letters) to get past, but thank you POF for removing those stupid emoticons from emails.
 countryshorty31
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 7/11/2011 9:25:17 PM
Some people use the space bar to get past it. Most people that I call out on that feel foolish and stop contacting me, luckily. Not sure why I just don't delete the message.

Has anyone reported the bug and actually had the problem fixed?
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > email settings - minimum message size