Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Where do "Slut" and "Whore" come from?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ZhanGo
Msg: 1
Where do "Slut" and "Whore" come from?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
A long long time ago, in a land far far away, some political hustlers and chauvinistic men got together and started discussing how much freedom women should get.

They all agreed on something, men hate seeing women choose partners as they wish, because that makes it harder for men to keep one women under control, also because it makes men jealous to see a woman not care for them anymore and to move on with someone else.

So they figured out a way to keep women in check by making words like "slut" and "whore." They figured that if they make people believe that women having sex is sick and disgusting, then women wouldn't do it. So they created those words, and started enforcing them through primitive law, through religion, culture, etc.

At the same time, these same men would have multiple wives, marry any women they pleased as long as they could afford them. The hypocrisy! Reminds me of some religious leaders, can you think of who I'm talking about?:)

So they told and CONVINCED women that it's very wrong for them to express feelings for men, it's wrong for them to go out with them, it's wrong (and punishable by stoning) to have sex with men. So along with stoning and public hanging and mutilation of women's vaginas, they created "slut" and "whore" to make them afraid of going out with men, fearing of losing their reputation in society.

Who has a better theory?
 ~storm~300x
Msg: 2
Where do Slut and Whore come from?
Posted: 9/6/2007 4:25:16 AM
I think the word "whore" is mentioned in the Bible/Koren... being a seven headed beast "The whore of Babylon" The bearer of jesus blood... blah blah blah ... Been a long time since I read the bible or the Koren....
Have not got a clue where slut comes from .... I want to have a look now
But yes I think your theory is quite correct... But it didn't stop this slapper!

* goes off to google*

Edit:- just thinking about it... Was that phase used for the description of Mary Madeline... branding her a whore... In christain belief she was a prostitute and in The Di'vinci theory she was his wife and and carried on the royal blood line ... ok im going deep ... and rambling

off to google

Nigel43
Msg: 3
Posted: 9/6/2007 5:16:50 AM
Just a guess and maybe if I had time I'd look it up but does whore derive from the middle Eastern term "Houri" The dancing girls seen in Beduin tents.

Interesting story this, but not sure how much truth there is in it.
During the War between the States there was a Union General Hooker who took with him a few ladies of ill repute. When visitors asked who the ladies were with the troop soldiers would reply. "Them. They're Hookers."
 jannick06
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 9/6/2007 5:20:15 AM
um their mothers like everyone else
 cheekitiger
Msg: 5
Posted: 9/6/2007 6:07:49 AM
I was hoping they were my neighbours, no luck
 real men only
Msg: 6
Posted: 9/6/2007 6:34:42 AM
The words in question in my mind are just another way to keep women in line so to speak.

Ah the hypocrisy of it all! Men are studs when they sleep around woman are wanton.

Men sleep around to get experience but woman are frowned upon if they enjoy a healthy sex life with whomever they choose.

And the worst of it all is other women we are so critical of each other it is pathetic, we are worse than men when it comes to each other.

jmo

real
 Tan_Y_Ddraig
Msg: 7
Posted: 9/6/2007 6:50:06 AM
Essex and the Rhondda probably.
 QI2
Msg: 8
Posted: 9/6/2007 9:17:37 AM

Essex and the Rhondda probably.

Not far wrong actually. Both words are thoroughly English (via the Vikings and the Saxons). 'Whore' really means 'adulteress' and, since the Bible's been mentioned, it's worth remembering that the sin for Jews, dating back to the 10 commandments, is specifically adultery. Prostitution is only ever condemned in terms of the adultery it engenders.

'Slut' is one of a family of words like 'slattern' that refers to 'wanton' women but not directly to prostitutes. It more specifically points to a woman of unkempt appearance or one whose house is dirty and untidy, the clear implication being that the woman is too much involved in pleasures of the flesh to have time or interest in caring for household duties and personal care.
 vin fourstar
Msg: 9
Posted: 9/6/2007 10:46:14 AM

I have no idea, but if anyone can tell me when they are next having an oil-wrestle together, I'd be most grateful.

My bad?
 BAREFOOT*Contessa
Msg: 10
Posted: 5/22/2008 10:33:07 AM
The word WHORE can be traced back to the HOUSE OF (W)HORUS in Egypt where Priestesses inititated young men into their first sexual union..the Priestesses embodied the sacred feminine and thus the union of mas and fem energy was sacred..
As organzied religion took over..these women were called whores..hores..etc and the word became diabolized as did many other feminine divine words..another being****.from the Priesstesses along the Kunnet river in England ...
Keepers of sacred knowledge were called vile**** by the new religion
 gladitssummer
Msg: 11
Posted: 5/22/2008 10:42:20 AM
"The word WHORE can be traced back to the HOUSE OF (W)HORUS in Egypt where Priestesses inititated young men into their first sexual union..the Priestesses embodied the sacred feminine and thus the union of mas and fem energy was sacred..
As organzied religion took over..these women were called whores..hores..etc and the word became diabolized as did many other feminine divine words..another being****.from the Priesstesses along the Kunnet river in England ...
Keepers of sacred knowledge were called vile**** by the new religion"

now this is cultural diversity most of us blokes would certainly embrace
 mofwtmy
Msg: 12
Posted: 5/22/2008 11:11:10 AM
North Yorkshire???????
 nigelwright
Msg: 13
Posted: 5/22/2008 1:41:57 PM
I think the terms can apply to men just as much as to women.
 princessantonia
Msg: 14
Posted: 5/22/2008 1:52:48 PM
A very small town in Middle England called Melton Mowbray. Lovely place, would recommend a visit.
 Gut_Reaction
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 5/22/2008 2:09:08 PM
A very small town in Middle England called Melton Mowbray. Lovely place, would recommend a visit.

Porkie Pie teller.
 *TheReal-MissyH*.
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 5/22/2008 2:44:56 PM

It comes from men who even get knocked back from hookers.

Plus women are usually the better looking sex, and men don't like coming second on most things.
 mofwtmy
Msg: 17
Posted: 5/22/2008 2:47:06 PM

men don't like coming second on most things.

I have never ever came second my dear!

My MSN header this evening reads 'no more virgins bring me a slut', sometimes I'm just too classy for me own good!
 *TheReal-MissyH*.
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 5/22/2008 2:48:38 PM
Nothing classing about a man whore my dear. It's not something to brag about.
 anniesea
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 5/22/2008 3:10:25 PM
Of course it's a way to keep women in line!

We can only be 100% sure of who our mother is... still seen today I believe in Orthodox Judaism - one is a Jew by birth but only if your mother is a Jewess...

In the days before divorce and birth control, probably even back as far as when man was the hunter and woman was the care-giver and "educator", a woman needed a man to provide for her and her child's basic needs. A man needed to be sure that the time and effort he was expending on providing those needs were actually benefitting his genes in the child. (And if you believe in the Selfish Gene proposition this is not a thought-process but an intuitive act.)

What better way to stop your woman begetting another's child for you to care for, than to make it totally socially unacceptable to do anything other than "stand by your man"? Hence the value-judgement that became attached to the words that didn't describe anything other than a factual situation.

IMHO of course.
 Kath111
Msg: 20
Posted: 5/22/2008 3:15:27 PM

Of course it's a way to keep women in line!

Thats what my Master says
 chAnnah
Msg: 21
Posted: 7/26/2008 8:44:43 AM
... no more virgins bring me a slut ...

By the way, do you know where the word 'virgin' comes from? ... it originates from the Greek word 'parthenos'. However, if translated directly, it has nothing to do with chastity. It does not mean a woman who could not find a partner or who was rejected by a man but the one who does not need a man to be the contents of her life. In other words, an independent woman with her own identity.

Girls, are not we all virgins then?
 AlmaM
Msg: 22
Posted: 7/26/2008 8:57:25 AM
I would never use these words and would never call any woman these names.

Why? What is good in it?

I sometimes disagree with someones actions or decisions but I try to understand their position and think what has brought them that way..
 Netgeek34
Msg: 23
Posted: 7/26/2008 9:02:25 AM
Just more judgmental (and hypocritical if the results of a recent media story about what many British women get up to on holiday are anything to go by) crap really
 restless_native
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 7/26/2008 9:17:06 AM

one who does not need a man to be the contents of her life. In other words, an independent woman with her own identity.

That's just something that ugly women who can't get a bloke to knob them say to make themselves feel better about themselves.

They usually end up getting a few cats. Then I believe the correct term for them would be spinster.
 chAnnah
Msg: 25
Posted: 7/26/2008 9:23:54 AM
^^^^

Ah ... I expected that ... difficult to understand is not it?
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Where do "Slut" and "Whore" come from?