Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Let's see how it goes- your interpretation?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ~Leannie~
Msg: 1
Let's see how it goes- your interpretation?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
when you've met someone, like them and want to continue seeing them, and you ask how they see things and they say 'let's see how it goes', what's your interpretation of that?

it's such an ambiguous statement isn't it?
 Hope~
Msg: 2
Let's see how it goes- your interpretation?
Posted: 9/8/2007 2:30:42 PM
it's not the most positive of responses no
 ~Leannie~
Msg: 3
Posted: 9/8/2007 2:36:14 PM
on the surface it isn't that positive no, but in reality, and with a little thought, it a truthful one i guess.

in truth, i guess no-one can know what they want with this one particular person until they have gotten to know them a little better, so seeing how it goes is probably about the best 'truthful' answer you could get...

you could get something back like 'i think i love you already' lol, but in reality that would make me run a mile...and i think it would be untrue...or at the least exaggerated.

i think if honesty is very important to you, it should really be the answer you're looking for.
 ClockworkMonkey
Msg: 4
Posted: 9/8/2007 2:36:28 PM
I think it's ok to say that to someone. It's not until a few months down the line that you really get to know someone. If you commit too soon (a mistake i've often made) and the find out the person you are dating is not quite the catch you thought they were it does in tears for someone.

Lets see how it goes = lets see how it goes - nothing ambiguous to it.

Include this person in your life, enjoy and appreciate the time you spend together but don't make plans for too far in the future, see how it goes

good luck
 mike bradly
Msg: 5
Posted: 9/8/2007 2:37:15 PM
No ambiguity there !
it's a simple statement of I can't be bothered to make any kind of effort in this relationship!"
Trouble is if they are enthusiastic that might be considered as desperation !!
Read the eyes ,read the face , no easy answer to this!
 Chazzerellie
Msg: 6
Posted: 9/8/2007 2:41:19 PM
It's not a "yes" and then again not a "no".

This person may have been hurt in the past by throwing themselves into committing themself to someone after a short time and being hurt through no fault of their own.

I would take it as a positive.
Did you really want him to propose undying love and wanting to move in together after 5 minutes...would have freaked most people out if that was the reply don't you agree?
Just give it time,if a relationship is meant to be then it will progress naturally and not through questioning.
Good luck with everything and give him a little more time to convey hopefully the answer you want to hear.
 Georgiegirl2007
Msg: 7
Posted: 9/8/2007 3:02:16 PM
It depends how long you've been seeing them. If you get that after a couple of days then to me it's not so bad.

If you get it after 3 months, then it's not quite so good.
 Snowy Steve
Msg: 8
Posted: 9/8/2007 3:33:10 PM
I have actually said that to a person, and I didnt mean anything but exactly what it meant. It was early ina relationship and I didnt know how I felt, but I knew I felt enough that i wanted to see where it was going to go. Maybe in my case it was a case of indecisiveness.
 Chorlton Dragon
Msg: 9
Posted: 9/8/2007 4:19:59 PM
when you've met someone, like them and want to continue seeing them, and you ask how they see things and they say 'let's see how it goes', what's your interpretation of that?

From personal experience it means I want to string you along while I keep looking to see if there is someone better around.
 ~Leannie~
Msg: 10
Posted: 9/8/2007 4:21:03 PM
when you say 'personal experience' do you mean that's what you say if asked, or it's been said to you?
 Fierce Fish
Msg: 11
Posted: 9/8/2007 4:26:04 PM

Turn around..... let me see the other side of you..
 angel75x
Msg: 12
Posted: 9/8/2007 6:07:52 PM
I would analyse it to death! In my experience it either means they have been hurt and are freaked out by how well you get on or they're still window shopping for the person of their dreams. I tend to get bored when I hear that and move on...maybe I'm too hasty but I have regrets so I must be on the right track lol.
 Blueskies123
Msg: 13
Posted: 9/8/2007 6:11:44 PM
I don't think there's anything wrong in the statement.
Saying that I probably wouldn't ask how the other person saw the relationship, if all seems ok you just go with the flow and if not...next!
 nippysweetie
Msg: 14
Posted: 9/8/2007 6:51:52 PM
The lady above me has it on one, well said, I would try not to worry too much if I were you, I know its very very cliched, but whats for you very rarely passes you, so enjoy your relationship which appears to be in the early stages as they can be the most exciting times, and just see what happens for the moment.

good luck x
 Wizzywig57
Msg: 15
Posted: 9/8/2007 10:16:18 PM
To answer with a "lets see how it goes" could be a kinder way of saying "WOAH! What's the rush?" or "Need more time to decide, I'm not ready to commit" but it could also be a way of postponing the bad news for a safer distance, like a text message "sorry no chemistry".

I think we all need to feel secure in a relationship but in the very early stages when we're still sussing each other out its probably better to resist the urge to pop the question "What do you think of it so far?"
 Oxfordshire_Lass
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 9/8/2007 10:33:53 PM
Not sure of the circumstances so a bit difficult to say what it means - if they are saying that after you've been seeing them for 2 years, 2 months, 2 weeks or twice then the interpretations could be different.
 Laine07
Msg: 17
Posted: 9/8/2007 11:31:27 PM

From personal experience it means I want to string you along while I keep looking to see if there is someone better around

Yes, either that or.... i really am not into commitment but, i'm ok at the moment unless you keep pressing for a proper answer in which case i'll be off!
 vin fourstar
Msg: 18
Posted: 9/9/2007 12:37:27 AM
MSG 1

It's a simple way of saying that they are interested but that they don't want to rush things. It is no different to saying that you want to continue seeing them, because even that sentence has a silent caveat "until something goes wrong".

I can't do with women who hope that the second date consists of getting married.
 steph1973
Msg: 19
Posted: 9/9/2007 12:41:09 AM
I don't see anything wrong with that statement. It just purely says take one day at a time and see how things develop. If things are rushed then you don't get to know the person well without it going very fast and then you end up finding out things that you probably don't like when your over your head.
 -Hams-
Msg: 20
Posted: 9/9/2007 3:16:48 AM
I would interpret as meaning your a nice guy but I would prefer just to be friends
as your not very good looking and theres other guys on here who float my boat....
Maybe Ive become cynical(sp?)in my old age or been on here for far too long !
 ~Leannie~
Msg: 21
Posted: 9/9/2007 3:36:11 AM
the people who would view this statement in a more negative way, would you act on it? ie, stop seeing the person?
 Bye Bye Blackbird
Msg: 22
Posted: 9/9/2007 3:39:34 AM
"Let's see how it goes."
I think I like you but I don't know you. I'd like to take some time to get to know you better.

If you hear it at the start of a relationship, it's an open and honest answer.
If you hear it when you've been b/f & g/f for six months and he's met your parents... not so good.

Incidentally, I've had both, the second one was the kiss of death for that relationship!
 Darkangel 81
Msg: 23
Posted: 9/9/2007 3:53:17 AM
I would`nt take it as a negative thing i`d rather be told this and we slowlet see how it goes rather than jumping with both feet in,
Changing your profile to find it does`nt work
 xxOff My Rockerxx
Msg: 24
Posted: 9/9/2007 3:55:13 AM
I can quite happily cope with ' let's see how it goes' now I'm older and wiser. I think most of us have experienced heartache or players in the past and wouldn't want to rush into anything too soon only to risk being hurt again
Mind you , if I got the feeling 'let's see how it goes' meant he could play the field then that would be a different matter
 babycham
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 9/9/2007 3:57:01 AM
i read it as, sorry, i'm just with you until either something goes wrong or i meet someone else. if they like you that much then they would say it.
it's not exactly rocking his world is it??? think you deserve a little more positivity and enthusiasm
it's been said to me recently and i sacked him
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Let's see how it goes- your interpretation?