Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Can you find out if someone does a background search on you      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 fishbill
Msg: 1
Can you find out if someone does a background search on youPage 1 of 1    
If you do one of those $39.99 paid background internet searches on a person, is there some way that person can find out? Like intelus, or peopfinder, etc. Its just and odd question based on my odd ideas and odd ex GF and her odd ex ex BF (you know, one of those "friends that no ones gonna dictate who I see" kinda friends, the totally innocent "I have lots of male friends, there is nothing going on, but I dont want to talk about it" friends.
 Doelvzbttrflz
Msg: 2
Can you find out if someone does a background search on you
Posted: 9/12/2007 11:40:48 AM
I don't know if they are notified or not, but I do know that you could have stopped with the just the question b/c you lost the hell out me after that!
 El_Mariachi
Msg: 3
Posted: 9/12/2007 12:03:16 PM
I don't know about the background check part, but if someone does a credit check on you (which I'm pretty sure is illegal anyway w/out your authorization), I believe you can have a set up where the credit bureau calls you each time an inquiry is made on you.
 deerdog1
Msg: 4
Posted: 9/12/2007 12:13:12 PM
sorry these things only deal with things that are public record ..like address ,past addresses ,court documents ,criminal records , cant do much about that ,but your credit records are private and accessing them without permission is a crime ,credit bureaus can tell vendors or other businesses for the purpose of offering you credit that your credit score falls within a certain range without permission unless you tell them not to
 Call_Me_Luv
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 9/12/2007 3:29:30 PM
Information done on the background internet searches is basically information that is already public information. That would be things such as address, phone number, email address, (current and past), property records (mortgages, deeds, foreclosures, etc.), court records (divorce, marriage, death, bankruptcy, etc.), criminal records, sex offender registries, and so on.

No you are not notified when those records are accessed. They are accessed frequently by people who do mailing lists. Most of this stuff you can do on your own by hitting the public records for each individual website for free. You just have to know where to look.
 ^^Batgirl^^
Msg: 6
Posted: 9/12/2007 4:55:20 PM
Are ya hiding something?

If they do a background check, what are they going to find out?

Likely benign information that has no relevance to anything.

Beyond that, I suspect one could sue for breaching the Privacy Act.

I hear about this "background check" rubbish from girlfriends and I wonder if they want their guys microchipped as well so they know where they are at all times?

I mean really. Has the world become Gattica?

^^BG^^
 tjay14u
Msg: 7
Posted: 9/12/2007 6:29:30 PM
Be careful with interlus if you use it. Many online agencies hit you up for a monthly fee.
Just remember one thing.

Knowledge is Power! Just make sure you don't abuse it.
 ItsMargo
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 9/12/2007 7:24:37 PM
If you can't find out if they have done a background check on you...
You might consider doing a background check on YOURSELF... and then assume that they have done one and this is the information they received.
 Wookiex
Msg: 9
Posted: 9/12/2007 7:29:18 PM
lol are people really that neurotic these days
 GuitarGuy_
Msg: 10
 armyguy1368
Msg: 11
Posted: 9/14/2007 8:11:58 AM
I think that someone that is honest and hard working should have nothing to hide. If someone has children like I do i have no problem running a background check on someone and if someone is showing signs or wierd behavior then by all means they need a background check done. I also think that if two people are getting serious then a credit check should be asked for so that if the decision is made to have a long term relationship and that each person is prepared for fianacial responsability that comes with the relationship. It just keeps people from having future problems such as the old WHY DIDNT YOU TELL ME YOU HAVE A 600 DOLLAR A MONTH VACUUM CLEANER PAYMENT. And keeps the relationship honest and true. Bottom Line: Get a background check done its cheap its easy and keeps honest people honest and wierdo's in jail
 obeythepug
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2007 6:03:51 PM
I live in Wisconsin. The court records are online; anyone can look you up. You don't get all the court documents, but you see dates, charges, sentences, fines, etc.
 racer_x
Msg: 13
Posted: 9/14/2007 6:35:30 PM
Dude, you're 47 years old. That's too old for such trifles.
 Wileydiver
Msg: 14
Posted: 9/14/2007 6:58:06 PM
The short answer is no , especially if done by a professional. EVERYTHING is available, even sealed court documents if the PI knows what he is doing. You received good advice when told to check t your record yourself and make sure everything on it is correct. Wecome to 1984
 mogrl42
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2007 7:08:31 PM
I don`t think that you would be able to find out about it.I did a background check on my very first internet crush ,it cost me $ 60 becasue I wanted the results in 24 hours.I told him about 3 years later and he was pretty cool about it .I wouldn`t do it again,I figure I`ll find out what I need to know sooner or later.I do a search on case net every now and then .Only one time did I search the sex offender registry and there he was ,picture and all.He didn`t even have a picture on pof.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Can you find out if someone does a background search on you