Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Angels for maddy      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 malcolmeggs
Msg: 1
Angels for maddyPage 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Am i alone in thinking that people that put these tacky typing things on their computers are missing a bit upstairs . The angel for Maddy i find particularly offensive . But come on people lets face facts here .If her parents were that brilliant she would still be with them . Do people honestly believe that sending an angel on A computer will make the slightest bit of difference to the outcome .I myself personally think that it is people massaging their own egos . All this hysteria over a missing girl is not helping anyone except the newspapers sell more papers (especially the daily Express) . And it gives the government more reasons to inflict tighter laws on all of us . Well i have news for you all , child abduction is nothing new,it has been around as long as people have been . Nowadays we call that type of person a paedophile ,but you look at any age of man and any culture and he/she has always been their .In the past he/she was the bogeyman or Peter the wolf or Bluebeard and the evil stepmother .Loosing our children is our biggest fear the ultimate taboo,but it as always been with us . The difference today is mass media and the capitalists state .People are actually making money out of this little girls abduction , this to me is sick . The world is not a sicker place than it was .The children are not more at risk now than in the past . Yes we do have the Internet but on the whole the mass media is to blame for making people feel more scared . putting an angel for Maddy on your computer is just making parents think that their child is at risk .What really peeves me of is the "show you care" dialogue that goes with this tripe .So if i don't have this on my computer i don't care pfffft .
 pantsonfire
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Angels for maddy
Posted: 9/21/2007 2:40:05 PM
I personally don't choose to put these 'tokens' on my profile... I have been tempted to put one up for the armed forces because they are most definitely a worthy cause...

The one for cancer... Hmmmm is my brothers death any less of a tragedy just because he didn't die of cancer?
Maddies angel? Should we not list every missing child if we feel so strongly for her?

No sorry not my scene, I'd rather show my gratitude and appreciation in a more personal manner and donate directly or write to those concerned ...
 ~*UniqueLady*~
Msg: 3
Angels for maddy
Posted: 9/21/2007 2:44:17 PM

What really peeves me of is the "show you care" dialogue that goes with this tripe .So if i don't have this on my computer i don't care pfffft .

^^^^^^^^
Thats what its all about .. showing they care !
People react in different ways to different situations.
Theres nothing actually wrong with people doing this is there ?
Me personally, I think the way as you .. it's not about to bring her back...and i dont forward things on like that BUT everybodys different and entitled to react in whatever they feel is right.
 Perikaryon
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Angels for maddy
Posted: 9/21/2007 2:46:03 PM
The 'angels' are indeed tacky and in bad taste.
As are the 'cancer ribbons'.
This is a dating website...some people might not enjoy clicking on a profile on a dating website only to be reminded of something painful in their past or recent history.

Totally Inappropriate
 Blueskies123
Msg: 5
Angels for maddy
Posted: 9/21/2007 3:10:33 PM
I'm no fan of these things but there are one or two folk I know on here that they mean an awful lot to...the cancer ones that is.

I can't comment on the rest of your post....no paragraphs, tiring for my eyes and I haven't really slept all week! Sorry!
 socialjustice
Msg: 6
Angels for maddy
Posted: 9/21/2007 3:11:10 PM
couldnt agree more

malcolmeggs
Msg: 7
Angels for maddy
Posted: 9/21/2007 3:17:55 PM
Hi everybody ,
hey ~*UniqueLady*~ You are correct in that everybody has got the right to express themselves, however ,i just find it weird and a bit creepy that people send things like angels and so forth . As AIXIAIXIA so rightly points out this is a dating sight . Not the place to be suggesting that cancer is a worse disease to die from than any other or for that matter be reminded about an abducted child .
I must admit so many people are doing this now the first thing i look at is to see if the person has angels etc and if they do immediately move on .
 kisseylips
Msg: 8
Angels for maddy
Posted: 9/21/2007 3:26:39 PM
I dont think that they are tacky, I just dont see the point as its not going to make one bit of difference in so far as getting her back goes.

I do have a ribbon on mine in aid of cancer as my mum died of cancer last year and I seen it on someone's profile so added it to mine. I suppose its pretty meaningless too but it made me feel a bit better at the time so dont see whats wrong with that.

I wouldnt think there was anything wrorng with someone's profile simply because they had an angel or a ribbon or whatever, in fact i would think that they are probably caring people.

VVVVVVV I would hardly say the McCanns grief was PRIVATE in fact it is anything but since its plastered all over the papers almost every day.
 Perikaryon
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Angels for maddy
Posted: 9/21/2007 3:37:52 PM
I'm with the OP on this one....see an angel...best to sling yer hook.

Tacky 'angel' mass hysteria garbage symptomatic of a herd-like psycho anxious to join the media witch-hunt intruding on what is the McCanns PRIVATE family grief.

Same with the 'cancer ribbons'...trite "share yer private loss with the planet" crap guff imported from the USA.

If I wanna read a list of strangers' dead relatives...I'll go read the Births, Marriages & Deaths section in my local newspaper.
 DonnyRovers
Msg: 10
Angels for maddy
Posted: 9/21/2007 3:54:56 PM
Did anyone say that people should stop wearing all these rubber bands on their wrists. If you want to wear something made of rubber then how about a condom, stop the spread of disease and also to bring a stop to so many child snatchers, rapists and thugs into the world.

I have put a couple of symbols up. I didn't put them on to make myself feel better, I put them on to show my support to people who have lost loved ones in similar situations. Whether they be friends, family or just associates. I lost 3 members of my family and a very dear friend in the space of 5 months not to mention 2 family dogs, 2 of which was to Cancer. The items that are on my profile are not to bring someone back, they are there as a sign of respect.

It's all about support for the human race as a whole (well the ones who deserve our thoughts anyway).

One other thing, if people are complaining about the fact that someone like me is showing emotion by adding these so called offensive items. Then why are people putting the emoticons on their messages. Same thing really if you think about it.
 ***Mac***
Msg: 11
Angels for maddy
Posted: 9/21/2007 4:01:57 PM
I cant see anything wrong in it when its coming from a good place . However as has been pointed out i dont think a Dating Site profile is a very appropriate place as ulterior motives are probably in play ...i.e self promotion ..... it screams "Look at me im a caring person "!!
 DonnyRovers
Msg: 12
Angels for maddy
Posted: 9/21/2007 4:12:52 PM
Fair point on that, but its better than being thougt of as an a**ehole. What's wrong as being seen as caring? Surely its better than being seen as a complete loser who doesn't give a stuff about anyone else but themselves and who's got probably got nothing better to do than go around mugging the elderly or raping kids.

So I'm a caring person, how many people are actually putting on the fact that they are selfish egomaniacs.....I guess none.
Msg: 13
Angels for maddy
Posted: 9/21/2007 4:49:59 PM
i dont feel compelled to have one on my profile, but if i come across them i do tend to stop for a few seconds of thought, nothing wrong in showing a caring side, it does not take a lot of space and tend to be at the bottom of their profiles so whats the stress for.

mind you when it says i like going out with me mates and then there is the cancer logo followed by the maddie one it is a bit grating at times,
 SteveJB_MK
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Angels for maddy
Posted: 9/21/2007 5:09:39 PM
I have no good / bad opinions if folks show these angels, ribbons, or dedications to the armed forces. Humans (mostly) have a caring side to them and these guys are just showing solidarity for something they care about. If the consideration is authentic, then great, if they are inauthentic then they have to live with thier own conscience and will be found out by people they do get to date. Who's going to suffer most in the end?

Yes this is a dating site, and yes these text items are relavant. We're all on here putting ourselves on public show to be scruitinised and criticised. Everything that is written, including in these forums, gives an insight into the people that we are and potentially the omission of these text things from your profile says just as much.
 SanToki
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Angels for maddy
Posted: 9/22/2007 3:45:53 AM
Am i alone in thinking that people that put these tacky typing things on their computers are missing a bit upstairs .
The angel for Maddy i find particularly offensive

Definitely not alone, personally I find them completely ridiculous and insulting. It's an absolute tragedy to happen to anyone, but hundreds of people have gone missing here since Maddy disappeared, expand that to worldwide and it's thousands.

Unfortunately not all of them are "cute" looking little kids capable of starting a media bandwagon frenzy.
 Stinker*Belle
Msg: 16
Angels for maddy
Posted: 9/22/2007 3:50:48 AM
I have the Cancer one and dont give a flying fvck what anyone thinks of them, not one tiny bit.
I lost my mum to cancer and to me it is an expression of my love for her and the tragedy that is Cancer that claims thousands of lives every year.
I have got chatting to people who have seen that symbol on my profile and have mailed me to say they lost their loved one in the same way and we have got talking and helped each other through things.
To me, it is a personal thing, i dont mail people with inane crap on their profile about how great they think they are etc.

Dont like whats on my profile, dont mail me. Chances are i wouldnt want to hear from you anyway
 cheekyvimto67
Msg: 17
Angels for maddy
Posted: 9/22/2007 3:59:58 AM
I too dont like them... it makes me wonder why people put them up? Dont we all wish maddie a safe return and any child/person gone missing in the world..

why do we have to show it? does it make them a better more caring person? I dont get them either and would like to hear peoples reasons for putting them on profiles etc...

surely getting involved in charities would help better and be more productive then a pic everyone just disreguards. chairty shouldnt have to be seen or displayed on you for all to see how worried you etc... action taken to help is better than any display or token which to me can be empty...
 Stinker*Belle
Msg: 18
Angels for maddy
Posted: 9/22/2007 4:09:54 AM

surely getting involved in charities would help better and be more productive then a pic everyone just disreguards. chairty shouldnt have to be seen or displayed on you for all to see how worried you etc... action taken to help is better than any display or token which to me can be empty...

I do get involved in charities actually. In fact, the Pink Breast Cancer Ribbon is from the Breast Cancer awareness charities.
It is a symbol of unification of people who support the charities, not only do i have that ribbon on my profile but i have several of the ribbons pinned to my handbag, i have the car "dangler" in my car, i have every pen that has been produced to raise money for the charities.

I cant understand why it bothers people that others have these symbols on their profiles, it seems mean spirited to me, but hey ho each to their own
 pantsonfire
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Angels for maddy
Posted: 9/22/2007 4:15:25 AM
^^ DA I don't for one instance think that you are any less hurt or upset by your mothers death than anyone else and I do totally agree and support the pink ribbon campaign.. However, why is their nothing for my brother? He died from renal failure, diabetes and MRSA thanks to a dipsh1t nurse... Can't imagine what colour ribbon I'd need for him...LOL

Because I don't display anything for him, does it mean I love or miss him any less??
Of course not.... I think it is fine for people to display something which holds a personal meaning for them and the cancer ribbon is obviously a subject close to your heart losing a loved one to the disease..

However the Maddie ones do border on the over dramatic don't you think?
 Stinker*Belle
Msg: 20
Angels for maddy
Posted: 9/22/2007 4:27:04 AM
^^^ Pants its true what you are saying i guess regarding the Maddie ones, i wholeheartedly support breast cancer charities and this is because it is close to my heart and i directly have lost people to cancer. I know that is why it is so close to me, my mum always supported anything with the pink ribbon as she had breast cancer first at 32 and couldnt understand why no cure had been found so did her best to raise money for it and i was determined to carry on the tradition as it were... as you may know i even have the breast cancer ribbon tattooed just above my wrist as a reminder to me to keep on doing the little bits i can.

I think the only thing you can do, if you wished to of course, is show the admiration for your brother in a little memoriam like i have.
 ~~Snarf~~
Msg: 21
Angels for maddy
Posted: 9/22/2007 4:33:10 AM

However the Maddie ones do border on the over dramatic don't you think

Yes I agree entirely Pants. But saying that,the Maddy case has been the epitomy of over the top drama................so hundreds of people pinning these things onto their profile only goes to show how everyone has let this case go way,way,way too far.

As others have said,thousands of people go missing worldwide without a media frenzy...............so why should this case have been any different?

As for the cancer ribbons and things.................well if someone has been personally touched by this disease,then I dont see a problem with them at all....................It only goes to show that someone cares about their loved ones....................and before anyone states that

"Well people who pin the maddy angel on their profile,are only showing they care"

I wonder how many people knew Maddy? Erm.................probably none of them........

so its a bit different than putting a cancer ribbon on your profile when your mother etc has passed away..........someone that meant something,and made a difference to your life.

vvvvvv theres no malice in it.................but how is an angel on a pof profile going to bring her home?The message about finding Maddy is so saturated throughout the world now that their really is no need for this never ending facade to keep rearing its head every turn i make in my life.

HUH!
 - Steve -
Msg: 22
Angels for maddy
Posted: 9/22/2007 4:44:05 AM
i don't personal have any "tokens" on my profile, the only one i would consider having would be the Heart foundation. but ive never come across such a token.

with regards to the Madaline McCann, angel when she first went missing there was a big focas on getting the message to out to everywhere. the Angel i believe is just a message to a different spector.

the people that carry the "token" i believe are doing it in the best interests of finding that child. i can't see any real malice with the "token" being on a profile, unless the worse came to light.
 Perikaryon
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Angels for maddy
Posted: 9/22/2007 5:35:53 AM
Pink 'cancer ribbons' are the grotesque epitome of feminist sexist statistical manipulation sympathy harvesting . Enough adjectives in there for y'all??

More men than women die from cancer and funding/resources are disproportionally skewed in favour of breast and womens cancer than mens cancers.....yet more men than women die from the fookin thing.

Feminist bullshit propaganda to attempt to claim and 'fix' in the public psyche that the only cancer is breast cancer

Little blue ribbons for folk who've lost fathers or brothers to cancer?

Twee pinky/blue purple mix for folks who've lost both parents to cancer?

A place for everything...and for everything a place.

Dating websites are supposed to be fun places to be...NOT fookin painful reminders of lost relatives and loved ones.

If these exhibitionist clowns truly had any 'class' they'd bung off a few grand to their local hospice instead of pissing people off in the wrong places.

The Maddie Angels? sick.

Some people have the self-discipline and common decency to butt out of and avoid the media and psycho-public frenzy regarding that poor child and her family.
Strange that virtually the only place which has kept made me 'updated' of the poor girl...is a dating website.

Oh...and if you were the parents of that poor girl would you be happy seeing your childs name......1 inch below....

'must not have messaged users for intimate encounters or sex'

More 'Class'..... nuff said.
 Stinker*Belle
Msg: 24
Angels for maddy
Posted: 9/22/2007 6:44:02 AM
Pink 'cancer ribbons' are the grotesque epitome of feminist sexist statistical manipulation sympathy harvesting . Enough adjectives in there for y'all??

why would you have to attempt to bring the clear hatred of women into this??

sick

my mother died of cancer all over in every part of her body, in every organ...
if i want to support breast cancer charity i will..

no woman hating inadequacy filled person will stop me
 ~Leannie~
Msg: 25
Angels for maddy
Posted: 9/22/2007 7:01:25 AM
what i don't understand is why people feel the need to exhibit their support...

i don't have, and never would have anything like this on my profile, even though i lost my father, who was only 46 to lung cancer, my ex partner to mesothelioma, and my nan to breast cancer...instead i put my money where my mouth is and have a monthly standing order paid to cancer research...at no time have i ever felt the desire or need to publicise my support so that 'everyone else' will realise how caring i am.

to my mind, the majority of people who place these things on their profiles don't do it out of a desire to show support to the charity, but do it out of a desire to show people how 'nice' they are...

anyone who is genuinely nice doesn't feel the need to broadcast the fact.
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Angels for maddy