Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Alberta  > single men over 40      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 onehotrodder
Msg: 1
single men over 40Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
this is a calling to all you single guys (like myself) that are over 40. have you ever thought about going to one of those get togethers but felt to shy, or were afraid to go.
well i was one of those kinda guys. humm and haah about it and then its over so you feel relieved. well i took a chance and went to one, and well i had an absolute blast and made a whole bunch of new friends. do you guys think that you can over come that shyness about the dating scene and just give it a chance. i took a chance and im glad i did. i know the ladies i met, well what can i say they are beautiful and funny .
 Castaline
Msg: 2
single men over 40
Posted: 9/22/2007 5:30:05 PM
HotRodder, you so have it right.
The 'meet and greets' or 'events' or 'get togethers' or whatever you want to call them are truly the BEST way to get it out there!
You are there under no expectations, well unless you are expecting to meet a bunch of really great people, male and female! You can relax and be yourself, talk to those you want to, ignore those you choose, have fun, drink if you want, you are there to participate (pretty much) on your terms!

It is truly the optimum way to meet folks in your area!
 areelady
Msg: 3
view profile
History
single men over 40
Posted: 9/22/2007 5:38:43 PM
I have always wanted to go but I do not have a car at the moment.....would love to find out how a person can get there etc.....
 Dazil
Msg: 4
single men over 40
Posted: 9/22/2007 5:41:02 PM
Castaline you hit it on the head...... there is no pressure at all at these events to hook up with anyone at all....they are simply to meet people and have a great time, and we seem to do that at everyone we have had now........ you come away hurting from laughing so much and knowing that you have made a bunch of great friends.....
So no matter how shy you are, make the effort, it will be worth while attending any of the POF events.....
 shawn of a B
Msg: 5
single men over 40
Posted: 9/22/2007 6:28:58 PM
well being over 40. i have gone to numerous events, with older and a lot younger crowd, from 19-and people in there 60's and it is one of the best ways to meet new friends and maybe a loved one
so if you have not ventured out to one, i would recommend going to one, doesn't matter what age you are
 Greeneyedmisfit
Msg: 6
single men over 40
Posted: 9/22/2007 6:45:49 PM
Holy.. S of a B.. You're freaking old. Did you get old while I was gone?

By the way, its safer not to go to events.. especially if you're a single man over 40.. I mean, seriously with all us over 40 single women prowling around, you just might get pounced on!!!
 shawn of a B
Msg: 7
single men over 40
Posted: 9/22/2007 7:01:41 PM
^^^^^ promises, promises, promises hehehe
i am not frigin old i am a 29 yr old trapped in a 40 year old body
 onehotrodder
Msg: 8
single men over 40
Posted: 9/22/2007 10:28:41 PM
hey if you need a lift all ya have to do is ask and im sure that one of POFers will be more than willing to give you a lift.
 back2thebasics
Msg: 9
single men over 40
Posted: 9/23/2007 5:19:28 AM
onehotrodder......Thanks for the words of encouragement! My problem is going to any social event is two fold. One.... I am a little shy around new surroundings at first and secondly I am a non drinker and people give you the strangest looks when you order Ice Tea instead of a brown wobbly pop. They always think that you are a recovering alcoholic or just plain cheap! No kidding.....
 Dazil
Msg: 10
single men over 40
Posted: 9/23/2007 6:50:09 AM
B2Bs......for one thing at some of the events like campouts etc...you bring your own drinks.....so no one knows what the heck you are even drinking... and as far as I know...no one asks.... no one asked me what I was drinking at a campout and it was pepsi most of the weekend....
Another thing..... kudos to you for not drinking.... and if someone gives you looks for it...well THEY have a problem then...!!!!
So don't let that stop you from going out and meeting people..they do not all think that way!!
 onehotrodder
Msg: 11
single men over 40
Posted: 9/23/2007 7:38:15 AM
hey anytime back2thebasics . as for being a bit shy. when i went to my first event i was made to feel welcome so fast that i didnt have time to be shy. and as for not drinking, well i think that one can have just s much fun. and like dazil said nobody knows or even asks what you drink. so come out have fun and make some new friends.
 gandilin
Msg: 12
single men over 40
Posted: 9/23/2007 7:45:21 AM
I'm on the shy side too..but hope to be at a few of the upcoming events..just to have fun..and mingle..meet new friends..nothing ventured ...nothing gained :)
 onehotrodder
Msg: 13
single men over 40
Posted: 9/23/2007 7:56:44 AM
well welcome aboard my friend, why dont you sign up for the elkwater xmas party. as you said nothing ventured nothing gained. and i made some great new friends as well
 back2thebasics
Msg: 14
single men over 40
Posted: 9/23/2007 3:58:19 PM
Sounds Great!

I just maybe have to book the next event into my calendar.

Thanks again,

T

Another Gearhead for your information.
 Fox Zoo
Msg: 15
single men over 40
Posted: 9/23/2007 5:16:56 PM
I was always leary myself (not QUITE pushing 40, nor am I male, but... )

Events are the BEST place to meet. You are pretty much guaranteed to click with people and make tons of friends...

Fox's event count to date....
1 - local
4- outside of my own city

Seem's I need to get out and about at HOME more ....
 ~Duffster~
Msg: 16
view profile
History
single men over 40
Posted: 9/23/2007 6:20:54 PM
To add to the many saying - attend functions - I have to agree!!!!!!!!!!

I started over a year ago (May 06) then didn't attend anything until October 06.

Can't say that I am a wall flower anymore as I attend at least four or five thngs a month now and have even taken on the task of being a host and co-host.

I have met some very fine people of all ages, being one of th eover 60 that Shawn mentioned, I have enjoyed th ecomraderie that has evolved. Unlike Fox, I cannot count how many I have been to as there have been coffee nights where
...secondly I am a non drinker
no one makes any comments about no booze, wing nights, ethnic dinners, horse back ride, golf, poker night, kareoke night, birthday party night and just a night out night.

Even tho I am over 60, there have been a lot of the younger folks come to me and say"I know you, you're Duffster!" I think it may be because of my participation also in the forums, I contribute on a regular basis and sometimes get good reports from those least expected from.

So what does a person over 40 have to look forward to? The same things as someone over 20, 30, 50 adn 60. Fun, a chance to create new friendships and someday maybe the ONE. We all are a bit shy at the first event and will have trpidations, overcome those feelings and get out there, you will be glad you did.
 onehotrodder
Msg: 17
single men over 40
Posted: 9/24/2007 5:17:25 PM
here here i say, we arnty old and we're not dead.
 onehotrodder
Msg: 18
single men over 40
Posted: 9/25/2007 1:20:26 PM
just out of curiousity but is there only a few mwn that have any comments on this issue. we are having a function and still the women out number the men. whats up with that, are you afraid to take a chance and step out of your comfort zone.
 bbwsmartcookie
Msg: 19
view profile
History
single men over 40
Posted: 9/26/2007 1:46:40 PM
b2b's - when i am not drinking, I just tell people that I am the designated driver. Even if it is only for me! Events can be a lot of fun, bring a friend if you are a little shy!!
 cmpfires
Msg: 20
single men over 40
Posted: 9/26/2007 7:55:08 PM
Hey hot rodder, great topic...

Another point to add is why do the men NOT show up to singles events. They are crazy if they do not show up, as in most cases there are more women then men. For instance I was out at a comedy night function, and there was 15 women and only 5 guys. Great group of folks and it is always wonderful to meet new friends. But I just cannot understand why men do not go to these events.

BTW, yes you should come out and meet new friends, it is always good that you can look in the forums for something to do if you want to get out with friends... It is all what you put into it what you get out of it when going out with a group, for the first or hundredth time..
 ~*Tiffany*~
Msg: 21
single men over 40
Posted: 9/26/2007 9:01:53 PM
Shawn? Didn't we just celebrate your 30th birthday?
 onehotrodder
Msg: 22
single men over 40
Posted: 9/26/2007 9:05:30 PM
thanks for the input. i am thinking that most men are maybe feeling that maybe they wont measure up to expectaions, so it is safer to sit behind the screen where they cant be seen or maybe for lack of a better way to put it JUDGED so silly
 onehotrodder
Msg: 23
single men over 40
Posted: 9/26/2007 9:08:23 PM
i think that you should back2thebasics i know that you will have a great time and meet great people. hey and who knows maybe meet the one your looking for.
lol and gear heads are welcome
 onehotrodder
Msg: 24
single men over 40
Posted: 9/28/2007 5:43:02 PM
i had hope i would get more response to this post as i think that it is important for men to step out and take the bull by the horns so to speak. i would like to see more guys show up for the medicine hat xmas function. maybe this time we could have more guys than women lol. come on join in the fun.
 dixiebellexoxo
Msg: 25
single men over 40
Posted: 9/28/2007 6:07:19 PM
I have talked with my Doctor, and she said that if I start the gender transformation on Monday, what I will be ready for the planned Christmas Party in six weeks. So far to generate the $$$$$ needed for my transformation, I've had to sell most everything I own. My son and I are currently sleeping in his car.

Gotta get those male numbers up guys!!!!
Show ALL Forums  > Alberta  > single men over 40