Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Do women have apprehensions about dating a man who's more educated th      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 rara_avis77
Msg: 1
Do women have apprehensions about dating a man who's more educated than they are?Page 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
How would you feeling about dating a guy who has more education than you? Would you feel intimidated by a man who obviously knew a lot more than you or would think it's sexy? A lot of men would be intimidated by a woman who was much smarter than them so I want to see if the reverse is true.
 Yarik_z
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Do women have apprehensions about dating a man who's more educated than they are?
Posted: 9/27/2007 11:56:39 AM
Not to be an ass or anything but education doesnt really mean your smart, i met a lot of people who are smarter then me and they didnt even finish collage on other hand i met some of the dumbest people who finish University. No matter how smart you think you are different people know different stuff thats why its interesting to talk with new people cuz they always know something you dont :P Specially when it comes to different gender they are focused on different subject comparing to you.
Example: Man = Construction
Woman: Hairdresser+make up
i know its too brawed of an example but i am saying roughly different interest. Woman = nurse, man = doctor. Not to say its always like that but majority of it is. So cant be more educated then a "woman" just be more educated in ur proffesion in particular.
 sexyone84
Msg: 3
Do women have apprehensions about dating a man who's more educated than they are?
Posted: 9/27/2007 11:59:07 AM
Personally i value education greatly... so to me it would not be an intimidating factor at all..I find it attractive..
As per the above response.. i think the OP meant: communication. (world issues, politics, health, religion, things to discuss..)
 BritinStP
Msg: 4
Posted: 9/27/2007 12:00:10 PM
there is nothing like a challenge to keep a relationship alive but it should be equal pegging -

also if a man "thinks" he is more intelligent or educated than the woman he is with he is on a backfoot already.. we all know that women outrank men at least 3:1
 11thhour
Msg: 5
Posted: 9/27/2007 12:03:39 PM
No...education is what you HAVE...intelligence is what you DO. I'll take intelligence over education any day.
 prolibertate
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 9/27/2007 12:03:56 PM
OP, simply having an education doesn't mean one is smart...they may have done terrible in school, they may not have used any of that education once out of school, and they may not have simple common sense to begin with. I figure if someone has to try and impress another by how many degrees they have or what they'r ehave them in, then they're also just advertising their own insecurities. As far as intimidating men by having intelligence, I'm aware that happens as it's been said to me - usually be men who weren't that intelligent and my being so made them feel insecure...but I find a man who enjoys my mind as much as I enjoy his to be very sexy.
 livcom
Msg: 7
Posted: 9/27/2007 12:07:17 PM
Not at all! More to talk about and learn new things. BTW a person can be more intelligent but that doesn't mean they "know alot more" than the other person. Some of the most knowledgeable people I know do not have advanced formal educations.
 Oriole
Msg: 8
Posted: 9/27/2007 12:09:53 PM
It depends what his education is. If it's academic (e.g. a Master's degree), I probably wasn't attracted to him enough to find out in the first place. If he's in trades, then yeah, that's hot. Especially h/d mechanic, welder, electrician or carpenter. Engineers are somewhere in between, I admire the skill, but I don't spend a lot of time with them. Now a military engineer is yet another breed and those are hot too. :)

In any case, it's not about being intimidated or not intimidated, it's just that I'm all about men who get things done and get them done well.
 rara_avis77
Msg: 9
Posted: 9/27/2007 12:52:43 PM

if a man "thinks" he is more intelligent or educated than the woman he is with he is on a backfoot already.. we all know that women outrank men at least 3:1

I'm not sure what you mean by this. There are intelligent and stupid people of both sexes. Are you saying any woman outranks any man in intelligence?
 Suzanne_7
Msg: 10
Posted: 9/27/2007 1:02:40 PM

How would you feeling about dating a guy who has more education than you? Would you feel intimidated by a man who obviously knew a lot more than you or would think it's sexy?

Having more education does not make a person smarter. I have no problems with a man having an education, however I do have a problem with someone who thinks that they are more intelligent than I am, based on education alone. A "know it all" is a complete turn off, as is someone who thinks that they are better than someone who is not educated. Obviously modesty and kindness are not something that is taught in school, but learned in life.
 whenyer_strange
Msg: 11
Posted: 9/27/2007 1:04:11 PM
I find intelligence and education to both be great and would happily be with a guy that ranked higher in me on those. Now finding a guy like that is an entirely different story. ;-)
 Discofied
Msg: 12
Posted: 9/27/2007 1:21:32 PM
Just because a person has an education does not mean they "know" more.
I've met some highly educated men who dumber than a tree stump.
 QUICKSILVER217
Msg: 13
Posted: 9/27/2007 1:26:35 PM
Where is this man????!!!!!oh dream of dreams!!!
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 9/27/2007 1:48:54 PM

How would you feeling about dating a guy who has more education than you?

Dear me, send him my way.

Would you feel intimidated by a man who obviously knew a lot more than you or would think it's sexy?

Sexiness isn't determined in my life by what someone knows or does not know. Nor does it come attached to a degree or a few letters behind his name. Now, send me a well-rounded/well-informed man with an open mind and that is sexy. But it has to come attached to the physical attraction element, and wicked sense of humor. Good luck finding ALL of that in one man. Sigh.

A lot of men would be intimidated by a woman who was much smarter than them so I want to see if the reverse is true.

HA ~ I can't believe you haven't been publically beheaded for that statement. Obviously not many men have read this. Tee hee. I'd give my karma, my soul, and my sanity to find a man that would ramble about his life, his knowledge, his education, his profession, his overt intelligence ~ I am not so sure it works the same in reverse. It's too bad ~ the most brilliant man I know personally is nothing but a wonderment in my eyes. Too bad I didn't understand the importance of this long ago. JMO
 SueCat51
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 9/27/2007 1:59:08 PM
Nope - doesn't intimidate me at all. Just so long as he has good ol fashioned common horse sense too. I've met many of "book" smart people that wouldn't know how to screw in a light bulb or balance their check book.
 SassySky
Msg: 16
Posted: 9/27/2007 2:01:50 PM
Truthfully OP, I think in my humble over Educated Idiot Opinion... I would rather have a man that is experience smart.. I have met so many people that think because they have this Degree they are all that and a case of chips.. But in reality they are dumber than rocks. I am not saying all people just some of them..

Kay9876
Msg: 17
Posted: 9/27/2007 2:08:00 PM

Would you feel intimidated by a man who obviously knew a lot more than you or would think it's sexy?

Intelligence is sexy, but wisdom (not mentioned in your post) is "off the charts," can't-keep-my-hands-off-him sexy.
 *Just Jim*
Msg: 18
Posted: 9/27/2007 2:24:56 PM
Apprehensions? I have always thought there was two schools in life to learn,
like a balancing act if you will to succeed ,respect,and relate.

one in the class room(schools) and one on the street(inter-action with people etc)

Bottom line: Birds of a feather,flock together.........

wpg_chick_84
Msg: 19
Posted: 9/27/2007 2:37:47 PM
It wouldn't bother me at all. I actually prefer dating men with a high degree of education. Partly because I find a lot of men who are less educated than me are intimidated by me (and I've had a few guys tell me that). Plus I think I have more in common with educated men.
 Ravenstar66
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 9/27/2007 3:02:21 PM
I don't...but I have a pretty good education myself, along with a fair amount of life and street experience. I think it would be interesting...he could show me some things I could learn about if the knowledge was something I haven't studied on my own.

Intelligence and education don't always go hand in hand though. I like more "renaissance" types who spread their knowledge base out. Arts, music, literature, spirituality, history, current affairs, etc.... a well-rounded person. Intelligence will show itself even in those who decide not to pursue an academic degree. There's a certain level of curiousity and wonder that accompanies a quick and active mind.

Funny...it's rare where I am at right now, or at least hard to find, but I have talked with a large number of very intelligent men on here..it's a real treat.

No, I'm not intimidated by much at all.
 Becca4u
Msg: 21
Posted: 9/27/2007 3:05:39 PM
Is this a hypothetical question? You don't even have your degree yet.
 finneganne
Msg: 22
Posted: 9/27/2007 5:03:22 PM
I'd be freaking thrilled to find someone with the same education as me. It would be a bonus if he was smarter and/or more educated. I love being around intelligent people.
 Leah63935
Msg: 23
Posted: 9/27/2007 6:29:57 PM
I'm not at all intimidated about it. But education is NOT the same thing as intelligence. There are many people in the world that are highly intelligent & yet not overly educated. So I try to keep that in mind when meeting new people. In fact I have met a few people that are educated FAR beyond their intelligence (& like to try to prove it). So, If you are being yourself...no worries, however, if you are acting ego maniac & TRYING to make someone look like a blithering idiot, by bashing them with your degrees...well then that is apersonality flaw we can all live without.
 GreatAttitude
Msg: 24
Posted: 9/27/2007 6:41:48 PM
I'm never intimidated by intelligence. I AM, however, turned off by stupidity. COMPLETELY turned off.
 Celticmist
Msg: 25
Posted: 9/27/2007 6:58:30 PM
Education comes in many forms - there are self-educated people, there are those with formal educational. I have never found intelligence alone to be highly attractive unless it is tempered with people smarts, compassion,humour, and life experience.

When I date a man, I like to have him be a well rounded individual, and education is no guarantee of intelligence. There is very little that intimidates me, and I can hold my own with anyone no matter what their education or intelligence.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Do women have apprehensions about dating a man who's more educated than they are?