Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Single vs. Divorced...what should my relationship status be?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 simplyred74
Msg: 1
Single vs. Divorced...what should my relationship status be?Page 1 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
Should I list myself as "single" or "divorced"?

I've been divorced since 2002 - 5+ years. Was married for 3 years to a man with whom I had no children and absolutely zero ties. He's american, as is his family, so there is no chance of running into him unless I choose to visit a small town in Vermont.

I've run across men on here that list themselves as single, even though they have gone through a divorce. There thoughts are that since they have no ties to the ex, they are truly single.

I've been hesitant to list myself as single as I don't want to be accused of hiding my past, but I am also aware that some people see the word "divorced" and run, despite the fact that, all in all, I am truly single.

Just curious to see the opinions out there! Thanks :)
 LangloisJ
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Single vs. Divorced...what should my relationship status be?
Posted: 10/10/2007 1:45:50 PM
I see divorced and think...this person might have some baggage, if the girl's cute enough I will send her a message though, I would just list myself as single....everything comes out eventually and they aren't gonna say...oh I thought you were single....because you are single, you aren't with anyone....

Not too big of a deal for me but single looks better,
 Pilot152
Msg: 3
Posted: 10/10/2007 1:52:45 PM
If you have no baggage, kids or ties to the ex single is not really different from divorced. Unless you are Catholic and looking for another marriage....that's a bridge you can cross when you come to if it applies to you.

I am divorced but have no contact with the ex, no kids and really no baggage outside of some now minor financial issues. As she cheated I consider our marriage annulled and myself single.
 FeistyFaerie
Msg: 4
Posted: 10/10/2007 2:01:24 PM
There was a whole thread on this not too long back....it got rather heated and people all have different and varying reasons for putting whatever they do on their profiles...personally, I believe it's that person's choice to put whatever they want as long as they're open and honest about it and not stretching terminology to the point of outright lying....i.e. married person saying single. In the terms of single/divorced, one does not necessarily denote the other...hell, separated is still technically married, so it's all interpretation and honesty is where the integrity lies on figuring out which shade of gray is right. Do what you believe and feel to be right - you're going to have to eventually explain everything anyway, so who is really to say what's right for you or not?
 ItsMargo
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 10/10/2007 2:07:23 PM
There are some strong and conflicting opinions on this one. I say if you think of yourself as single and have no ties, go ahead and list yourself as single because it is more reflective of the reality you feel. The only potential downside might be if you get interested in someone who thinks of it as a big lie and chooses to cut contact because of that. oh well.
 rune3
Msg: 6
Posted: 10/10/2007 2:07:46 PM
I think you should put "divorced" to filter out those who scare easily. You can state in your profile that your divorce was finalised 5 years ago and you have no ties to your ex, if you see that as important -- not all of us do. I actually think it preferable if people are on reasonably friendly terms with their exes, rather than feeling the need to wipe their memories and pretend it never happened, but that's just me.
 someplace***
Msg: 7
Posted: 10/10/2007 2:08:43 PM
If I met a woman on here, who was claiming to be single, I assume that means: never married.

If such a woman later told me that she'd been divorced, I'd wonder what else she was hiding or lying about.

Was married for 3 years to a man with whom I had no children and absolutely zero ties. He's american, as is his family, so there is no chance of running into him unless I choose to visit a small town in Vermont.
You were married once, and it didn't work out. If I were meeting you, I wouldn't hold that fact against you.
But, if a woman was attempting to meet men, by hiding the fact that she was previously married: I'd assume that she 's willing to be decietful to the men she's meeting.
The fact that she appears to be trying to cover-up a previous marriage would be what turns me off.

I've run across men on here that list themselves as single, even though they have gone through a divorce.
they're lying.

There thoughts are that since they have no ties to the ex, they are truly single.
but they were married once. So they're "divorced".

If they want to be open and honest with people they're meeting, shouldn't they be upfront and honest about the previous marriage?
 DevineDene
Msg: 8
Posted: 10/10/2007 2:09:26 PM
Your single as far as I can tell.
1-You have o ties/baggage with the ex.
2-You've been single longer then you were married.

You can always clarify your meaning if your asked.

DD
 eazk
Msg: 9
Posted: 10/10/2007 2:15:27 PM
From a readers perspective....

Single at 30 is fine...no problems...in fact, actually good, especially if no kids.

Single at 40 and no kids is a red flag...hmmm, why now? Is the biological clock ticking? Can't she handle LTR?

Single at 40 and kids is a freight train bearing down on your @ss...OMG....maybe she can't she handle LTR?

Divorced and 32 and no kids...good...she's experienced life, LTR, etc., and hopefully learned a few things along the way. But luckily the issues weren't compounded with kids and such. Hmmmm, wonder how long ago she became divorced and is she over the greif stuff. D@mn she's cute...gotta send a hello.

RACER256
Msg: 10
Posted: 10/10/2007 2:22:27 PM
ARE YOU SINGLE OR DIVORCED...SIMPLE QUESTION...IM DIVORCED AND SINGLE
 WaywardSeeker
Msg: 11
Posted: 10/10/2007 2:25:16 PM
Interesting question. When your divorce is final you are, in fact, single again.
So my answer is put down whichever you please.
This is what happens when you try to squeeze a question with several dimensions into one set of mutually exclusive categories.
There are people on here that have been divorced for 20 years, for goodness sake.
 Master irisheagle
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 10/10/2007 2:29:36 PM
I Have to agree with FeistyFaerie.
i think She pretty much covered it and
for those you meet, (if you so choose to use
single) That hold it against you, Well that just shows how
willing they are to judge you based on your past.
Do you want to be with someone like that anyway?
Not me!!

Just my 2 pence
 picker_grinner
Msg: 13
Posted: 10/10/2007 2:46:58 PM
If divorced was the same as single there would be no reason to have it in the drop down. IMO, failure to be able to admit you're divorced IS baggage, as if you're in denial. And people that see the word 'divorced' and run have some baggage of their own. The truth will set you free unless you 'prefer not to say'.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 10/10/2007 2:55:43 PM
If I met a woman on here, who was claiming to be single, I assume that means: never married.

You could assume that, but that's just you assuming. Until the category choice is: single/never married, I'm gonna be single. Tried "widowed" but boy did *that* bring the vultures outta the trees.

One might think we had neither tongues to talk with nor ears to hear.

BTW, I also assume that 10,000 angels can stand on the head of a pin. Should I start a new thread?
 Made~new~Again
Msg: 15
Posted: 10/10/2007 2:57:07 PM
I'm single and divorced, what should my status be..lol! I like this one 99 Hey ruggedly hansome, I'm available.
 umustbestable
Msg: 16
Posted: 10/10/2007 2:57:55 PM
Okay it is an honest issue. People who have been married must get an annulment or a divorce to not be married anymore. People who are single are not married. Single people can't call themselves divorced and divorced people can't call themselves single. Why hide a huge part of your life? Everything we've gone through in life makes us who we are now. It's going to come out eventually and then you will look like a liar. Do you really want to take the chance that you will lose some one you care about or worse, that he won't care cause he's not an honest person anyway? As far as men who think divorce equals baggage...you don't want those men to contact you anyway. Everyone has baggage...its how you carry yours that matters.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 10/10/2007 3:05:28 PM
"If divorced was the same as single there would be no reason to have it in the drop down. IMO, failure to be able to admit you're divorced IS baggage, as if you're in denial. And people that see the word 'divorced' and run have some baggage of their own. The truth will set you free unless you 'prefer not to say'." Picker nailed it. There are choices on the drop-down for a reason. Single means never married.

When was the last time you filled out a job application? What do you choose as marital status? If you're divorced and you check single, you could be terminated for misrepresentation on your application. Apply for a mortgage, buy a house, there's all sorts of forms that have a box and choices for marital status. It's just a fact, if you've been married, and aren't you're either divorced or widowed. Why is it such a big deal to put "single"?

I think as picker pointed out, if I were communicating with someone who chose single and you find out they're divorced or widowed that'd be a red flag. I'd wonder what else they weren't being upfront about. Look at all the threads where people meet someone who's lied about basic facts, height, age and body size. Throw in marital status, I've been lied to about all 4, and that was the end for me. If you won't be upfront about basic facts about yourself, it's highly likely there's something else you'll misrepresent.
 Double Cabin
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 10/10/2007 3:07:12 PM
"Feelings" aside semantics dictate you will always be divorced. Apparently the ladies have the opposite problem with me.

I'd like to know everything about you that I can, and given more than half of today's marriages go down the proverbial crapper any man that hold's divorce against you should be removed from the gene pool immediately. On the flip side any woman that holds my decision not to have had marriage with a more than 1 in 2 chance of failure against me is too consumed with sterotype for me to bother thinking about.

Seek out individuals, they are infinitely more entertaining and fulfilling in my limited experience.
 Made~new~Again
Msg: 19
Posted: 10/10/2007 3:20:08 PM
Plus I don't stalk people. ( strange as this may sound.. I just thought I'd put this statement in there aswell just incase. Incase you you were wondering) But then again, if you were'nt, oh well, nm, okay. Familiar faces in oddy familir places.. Does that ever happen to anyone else besides me?.. Case in point; I ran into a feller I once knew, honestly I didn't know what to do. My mind just went blank, still that's just as well, If I think about it now I realise that that was then and this is now He's probably happy and if that's the case than so am I. the end. ( Can this be deleted for excesive rambling?)
 Mystic Magic
Msg: 20
Posted: 10/10/2007 4:10:07 PM
Single is: was never married,
Divorced is: was once married, but not anymore.
What's so hard about this question?
 Sabrosura
Msg: 21
Posted: 10/10/2007 4:14:36 PM
Plain and very simple - you were married once. Therefore, since you are no longer married you are a divorcee. Why lie? If someone thinks any "less" of you because you indicate your true status, than you do not need them in your life.

Being divorced does not mean you are not a desirable catch for a man. No, I've never been married, but I will not "sugar coat" or lie about myself to please any one who is ignorant of thinking that something is "wrong" with divorced people or any criteria relevant to me.

All the best,

regalrose
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 10/10/2007 4:16:14 PM
Tell ya what...haven't read the other posts on this yet, but my thoughts are...if you are divorced...say so. I'm separated, and say so. Sure, some run, in spite of the fact that my husband hasn't been around in what is going on 3 yrs. We only don't have the divorce legalized because of financial issues. Still, I feel free to start a relationship with someone else and he sure enough does because his started wayyyyyy before he ever moved out. It may seem like you are making it harder on yourself by telling the flat truth and listing divorced...but those that don't mind, are the ones who really DONT mind that you are divorced and there won't most likely be an issue with it down the road. If you list yourself as single....and they take it you have never been married...it could very well cause some problems later on, and who needs wasted time with something that could end because of a word discrepancy? It's just better, I think, to always be totally honest and use the terms that actually apply.
 ~Myth~
Msg: 23
Posted: 10/10/2007 6:46:43 PM
ooooooooooook . . . here is my 1/2 penny . . .

Divorced: Signed by the judge! Official!

Separate: Married, but not officially divorce . . .living in separate homes . . . living in separate bedrooms . . . . living separate lives . . . but . . . . . NOT signed by the judge declaring you divorce!!!

Single: Never married . . . may have been in a long term relationship for many years but never married.

Best of luck to all,

~Myth~
 Temptation50
Msg: 24
Posted: 10/10/2007 6:54:10 PM
I'm a single divorced widower.........that marriage was dead, does that work?
 Karrpilot
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 10/10/2007 7:08:47 PM
Maybe the web site needs to broaden and include all of the options. Single, never married, seperated, divorced, widowed/widower, and even possibly annulled. And then if the person picked the wrong one and was called on it, it could be discussed at that time. But at this present time that is not an option. So unless you are a single and never married as i am, you should not choose that option.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Single vs. Divorced...what should my relationship status be?