Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Do women like cops?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 howardallen
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Do women like cops?Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Are more women attracted to cops than not?
I am a retired State Police officer. Some women tell me some women are afraid of us. Are we viewed as being inherently violent? I thought the fact that we serve the public and put ouur lives on the line would attract women.
 Rocking Amy
Msg: 2
Do women like cops?
Posted: 10/12/2007 6:49:50 AM
Think most women are attracted to Firemen over Cops. I am, don't ask why,i have no idea.
A cop is more 'strict' than anything, is not likely to be as much fun. I'm struggling here, but hope that it makes a little bit of sense
 Funny_Girl
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Do women like cops?
Posted: 10/12/2007 6:51:46 AM
I don't, sorry. And I don't matter, either. But you asked.
 Prissymae
Msg: 4
Do women like cops?
Posted: 10/12/2007 7:18:18 AM
I don't have anything against cops but I would worry that they would have somewhat of a military mentality - My Way or the Highway - I can't live like that.
 Oh-Go On Then
Msg: 5
Do women like cops?
Posted: 10/12/2007 7:20:33 AM
NOW I AM GLAD YOU ASKED THAT - After this week, NO!

Got this fancy and expensive brochure in the post a few months ago telling what the guards are doing to build relations within our community...

To cut a long story short lost my Keys on Monday night last. Decided to walk up to my brother for the spare but realised he was staying with his GF - Rang him but phone was off. Didn't know where she lived so I rang the local police station... Gave me the number of two locksmiths whom I couldn't get through to...

Rang again and asked them to send a car over. Key was on the window sill and would have to break the window a bit, but my problem was the ten foot wall to get into garden. All this happened at 11.00pm. In the end after numerous phone calls and told I wasn't a priority - a woman on her own, locked out, freezing cold night and living in a dangerous area...

I rang 999. Fire brigade arrived less than five minutes and had me indoors in no time - Two guards arrived at the same time and when I told them their services weren't required proceeded to stick out their chests in an attempt to give me a caution - Fireman intervened to say I was cold, tired, panicking and upset - It was 3.15am at this time and the local police station is all of 30 seconds drive away - they might as well have been talking to a common criminal the way they looked and treated me...

As for those firemen... Maybe the police should observe how they treat people even those who do stupid things like me and lock themselves out.
 esotericjudi
Msg: 6
Do women like cops?
Posted: 10/12/2007 7:22:00 AM
I love cops... call me old-fashioned, I like to feel protected. So, yeah, cops, firemen, soldiers, any profession that fits the stereotype of the strong, macho guy...
 WindRoper
Msg: 7
Do women like cops?
Posted: 10/12/2007 7:38:19 AM
I think men in uniform are sexy. I find Marine and Navy dress uniforms especially attractive. HOWEVER... I was married to a violent alcoholic Air Force man and did not like how the military swept misbehaviors of enlisted persons under the rug so I have issues with and stay away from military folk. I worked in the judicial system for 15 years and dated/encountered several personalities I found off putting: married cheaters, players, and school yard bullies who almost grew up and put on a uniform. I've met some good cops too but most of my personal experiences with law enforcement officers have been negative and that has skewed my perception.
 Rabbit_Bite
Msg: 8
Do women like cops?
Posted: 10/12/2007 7:44:56 AM
well, it's been my experience that MOST women like cops. Some have told me they're not into the whole "cop thing"....but it has turned out they actually do.....I can't explain why they'd say otherwise. Maybe because they don't want to be labelled....? I've been a cop for 10yrs now and I've met women that hate cops, women that love cops. I don't tell women what I do, unless I'm asked. It's not something that I advertise (unlike firemen who HAVE to display their little stickers on their vehicles.....lol.). I too, don't want to labelled as a cop who uses his career to get dates, but it has certainly aided me in dating..... My motto to women is...."whatever floats your boat".
 carpaccio
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Do women like cops?
Posted: 10/12/2007 7:48:19 AM
I think the cop thing is a double-edged sword - on the one hand, you have the masculinity, the uniform, and the fact that you are one of the 'good guys.' On the other hand, you do often hear that domestic violence is quite high amongst police officers, that they tend to protect 'their own,' and there is always the chance that someone who becomes a cop might do so because he's power-hungry.
 Celticmist
Msg: 10
Do women like cops?
Posted: 10/12/2007 8:06:31 AM
Not to mention it is a job that puts a lot of emotional, physical and mental stress on a person. Some can handle it, some can not, which is one reason spousal abuse is a concern. I would not let it stop me from dating a police officer, retired or not, but I would certainly be looking at how he handles stressful situations.
 SnowBoardGrl
Msg: 11
Do women like cops?
Posted: 10/12/2007 8:08:15 AM
All men in uniform = hot! :)
 Rabbit_Bite
Msg: 12
Do women like cops?
Posted: 10/12/2007 8:17:02 AM
a double edged sword is a good analogy. However, let me throw this out there...being that I have many years of policing experience. People often say that there's a tendancy of a police officer being involved in domestic violence....well, I've been to COUNTLESS domestics over the years and some are cops....but some are firemen, doctors, teachers, welfare recipients, labourers, factory workers, office managers. Domestic violence is no more prevelant in policing than it is in any other profession.

"we protect our own"....maybe so, but keep in mind that "we" are a close knit family. Very few people come to our rescue when we are being overpowered, so of course we are going to have an extra kinship to other officers. Just like Doctors defend other Doctors, etc, etc.....

"Power-hungry"....I'm not going to say there isn't a cop out there who isn't power-hungry. We have bad apples, again like EVERY other profession. However, sometimes some people mistake us for being power-hungry when in actuallity all we're trying to do is keep order and prevent chaos. Example.....if a parent walks into the house and finds their children fighting and going out of control with one another, that parent has to restore peace and get to the root of the issues. Police are usually doing the same thing in a volatile situation. The parent who takes control and maintains control isn't on a power trip...they're being a "parent". Police officers who arrive at a situation where NOBODY is in control, must take control of the situation because the police are often the "last resort". So, at times like this, police officers are taking the roll of becoming a "parent" to the general public.
 Rabbit_Bite
Msg: 13
Do women like cops?
Posted: 10/12/2007 8:20:14 AM
cheers to you SNOWBOARDGRL.....;-) Too bad your "age range" stops at 35:-( Damn-it, I missed it by one stinkin' year, lol......
 Arugula
Msg: 14
Do women like cops?
Posted: 10/12/2007 8:33:51 AM
Nah, I don't think that many people see you as violent. We're afraid you'd bust us for the ganja.
 oldsoul
Msg: 15
Do women like cops?
Posted: 10/12/2007 8:34:19 AM
Hi Op,

I'm no more attracted to a cop than I would be to anyone else...sorry, the uniform just doesn't do it for me. And yes, I admit to being a little prejudice towards them, since I would fear them having a more violent or macho attitude, which I detest and run away from as fast as I can. I would worry of him having that "herd" mentality that I detest in people, in the same way that I couldn't be with someone who's in the military I suppose, and I say that with no disrespect, it just isn't for me.

And the part about putting your life out there for others, well I happen to think that's great, but to me it isn't any greater in my
eyes than the thousands of other people who devote their entire lives helping others who often go unrecognized...homeless shelter workers, good devoted teachers who are often underpaid, missionaries, people who work for Habitat for Humanity, people who bring food and water to people in war ridden countries, physician and nurses who work for Doctors without Borders....they also quite often put their lives on the line. Working at a 7-11 or driving a taxi will also increase your chances of being killed on the job, and you get paid minimum wages for the first one and work like a dog with the other, and you still get no respect.

Maybe I've partied once too often with cops in my younger days to ever think of them as anything else but just ordinary people
who just happen to carry guns, and know where to score the best weed in town??

lioness38
Msg: 16
Do women like cops?
Posted: 10/12/2007 8:39:40 AM
Yes, they like to feel protected and the uniform is a plus too:)
 Remember Me?
Msg: 17
Do women like cops?
Posted: 10/12/2007 9:01:09 AM
OK...in response to "Do women like cops" here's my personal feelings. Although I am not categorizing all police officers; I feel like a good portion of the majority think that they are almost in an elite group because they are police officers. The reality is that most "cops" have a bad rep as cheaters in many women's eyes. They tend to be a little full of themselves to the point where they think ALL women want to be with them. I would like to take this moment to say NOT ALL POLICE OFFICERS fall into this categorization; but a good portion do.
 gonzofanmel
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Do women like cops?
Posted: 10/12/2007 9:27:02 AM
Not really. The few experiences with cops have all been negative. The last one was with an ex--he beat the living **$& out of me but they turned a blind eye because they were friends of his--they all grew up together-- and they threatened to arrest ME for trespassing. Never mind that I was standing there with blood and bruises and just looking for my car keys so I could get the hell outta there.
 ~transparent~butterfly
Msg: 19
Do women like cops?
Posted: 10/12/2007 9:49:56 AM
cops are just like all folks...and some get a bad rep.

I know about a dozen cops on different levels.

There are a couple that are married and cheat like you would not believe. These same guys are hot heads, violent, short tempered and have an attitude both in and out of uniform. They are always looking for a fight and these guys threat their wives and kids like sh1t. They believe that they are owed respect because of their job and don't think that one should EARN the respect which they demand.

There are a couple of other cops that I know that are always at the bar - no matter when it is, just getting off shift, day off, closing time - they are always at the bar and are usually looking for a good old fashioned bar fight. And usually managed to find one. If they can't find one to jump into, then they usually start one.

Then there is the rest of the cops - a few are married or in committed relationships and some are single....these guys are awesome, sweet, kind, helpful, considerate, treat their wife/SO very well, active in the community, all around good guys.....

but the ones we always hear about are the ones that get into trouble for excessive force, domestic violence, DUI -

so, once again, it seem the few somehow manage to taint all...
 ~vhdc~
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Do women like cops?
Posted: 10/12/2007 9:56:47 AM

the fact that we serve the public and put ouur lives on the line would attract women.
Shameless promotion. Now that I have that out of the way. Did your uniform define you, or did you define the the man in the uniform? If it's all about the profession all I can say is sad...and if it is all about the uniform give me a waiter in a nice crisp white one as I like to eat!
 Hedda Lettuce
Msg: 21
Do women like cops?
Posted: 10/12/2007 10:04:45 AM
I don't care for cops because of their attitudes that they are above the law.

When I was training for the San Diego Auxilliary Police, our trainers (which were cops) called the tax payers "civilian pukes."
I was in the military at that time and I didn't look at the population that way, but the cops sure did.......
 jeeprennie
Msg: 22
Do women like cops?
Posted: 10/12/2007 10:56:46 AM

All men in uniform = hot! :)
Really!?? Even the orange coveralls inmates wear are uniforms.
Asking if women like cops is like asking if they like doctors, plumbers, or master machinists. Some will, some won't....and asking because you're an ex-cop is just billboarding.
 11thhour
Msg: 23
Do women like cops?
Posted: 10/12/2007 11:00:57 AM
Just like with any other profession, there are good and bad...but in my personal experience, I find that I'm drawn and repelled by them at the same time. I know that sounds bizarre, but my dad was a cop and while I admired what he did for a living and still do...(I've seen him go into a lot of dangerous situations without a second thought) ...he also was not very good at separating his professional life from his personal life...and none of us in my home were "above suspicion".

I'm definitely attracted to the strength and courage that's necessary to do the job RIGHT...but I'm not so fond of the arrogance and c*ckiness that tends to permeate all aspects of a cop's life...because it HAS to. It's no secret that cops aren't good at personal relationships...and my dad was no different. My mom chose to stick it out (probably because she was just as hardheaded as he was), but now...even my dad looks back and sees where he made his mistakes and admittedly attributes it to "the job".

It's not an easy life, and only someone who was involved on a personal level would know that.
 funnygirll
Msg: 24
Do women like cops?
Posted: 10/12/2007 12:21:36 PM
men in uniforms are HOT
but after stating the obvious... you are right about cops being viewed as being inherently violent but that's stereotyping so I would like to say that I would give a man who works as a Cop a fair chance first before judging....

but as someone else stated here... the emotional turmoil involved in being with a man that has a much more dangerous daily profession than the average joe...would put me off more than the possibility of that person being violent, because the danger is a given, where the violence is just a possibility (for ANY man to be)

I wouldn't like to be a widow after finding my number 1 or I wouldn't like spending my everyday waiting for him to get home safe every night....

but good luck to you!! you're retired as you are good to go for some lucky gal!!
 CoronaGirlErin
Msg: 25
Do women like cops?
Posted: 10/12/2007 12:42:41 PM
I'm attracted to cops!!! I must say, the last two times that I was either in a car that got pulled over (my friend speeding), and I got pulled over for having a headlight out -- I'm not some crazy person --- both of the cops were young, cute, and funny. I'd totally date a cop. Not to mention --- the speeding ticket -- was waived to a fix-it ticket for window tint, and the fix-it ticket for no headlight - was waived to a warning. Maybe cops like me?!
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Do women like cops?