Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Questions about circumcision: Is it too late for a 12 year old to be      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 petite2760
Msg: 1
Questions about circumcision: Is it too late for a 12 year old to be circumcised?Page 1 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
I have a 12 year old son who is not circumcised, which was the advice of the doctor upon delivery. Growing up, he blamed me for not having it done when he was baby. Kids teasing him and all that kind of stuff. I asked the father if we should get him circumcised at that time , and he said , it is up to you. In my country, all boys is being circumcised from birth, and if not, when they're a little bit older like 9 years old. I have watched a documentary before I had him, and there were some irreparable damages done to babies who had circumcision. My question is , is it too late to do it at 12 ? Or would any doctor perform the surgery?
 Cascadian
Msg: 2
Questions about circumcision: Is it too late for a 12 year old to be circumcised?
Posted: 10/20/2007 1:35:48 PM
Ask yourself this question.
Would you like to have your fingernails pulled out with a pair of pliers?

Its up to your kid and no one else. Maybe get him to talk to someone who is his age or older who has recently had it done and they can advise him of the experience.
You ask as question that can not be answered by anyone on here. Why dont you just ask a doctor instead of asking us if a doctor would do it. It is his individual choice. As for irreversable damage that is a risk with ANY surgery. This is not the place to get advice on the subject and you know it.

<div class='quote'>Or would any doctor perform the surgery?

I am thinking that that a Dr of Geology or a Dr of Engineering would probably not do it so the answer is probably.... No any doctor would not perform the surgery
 summer_wine81
Msg: 3
Questions about circumcision: Is it too late for a 12 year old to be circumcised?
Posted: 10/20/2007 2:14:50 PM
It's really never too late (some men have it done as adults), as long as your son realizes that there will be some serious pain involved in the recovery process. He's going to have to be very responsible in order to make sure it heals properly. The first thing would be to talk to your GP. Not every surgeon is experienced in doing circumcision, and your family doctor should be able to send you for a consultation with someone in your area who has some experience.
 Pucks
Msg: 4
Posted: 10/20/2007 2:28:23 PM
Hey OP,

Would you like to have your vagina circumcized?

If he wants it done he should research and make an informed choice. After seeing the barbaric system used to chop of his skin he may choose otherwise.

Doctors in Canada do not recommend circumcizion.
It is not covered under our universal care system in Canada but im sure if you can cough up the money some doctor will do it.

I have daughters, but if i had a son i would never cut him. There is NO reason for it.
(if you call looks a reason, i'd say seek help.)
 Cascadian
Msg: 5
Posted: 10/20/2007 2:40:37 PM
I agree with Pucks. They use a twist on thing with a blade the slices through the skin with a tool similar to a pipe cutter for copper pipe.

Easy for summer wine to say its never too late. How would she know, Her comment would be like a guy making a comment like its never to late to have your inner labia sliced off with a razor knife.

Again I say its the boys decision and no one elses. Oh ...and incase you are wondering yes I am cut but dont remember but do know that if I werent cut I wouldnt be going in for it now. and I probably wouldnt have anyone else go through it because of my decision. My son was done at 4 days old and I still have shitty memories of him screaming behind the door. Really wish I wasnt in the building then.
 colorblindstar
Msg: 6
Posted: 10/20/2007 2:52:10 PM
I think what she's saying Cascadian is that surgically, the procedure CAN be done at any point in a male's lifetime. The question which any competent physician would ask is WHY do you want to have it done. 'Because.' isn't going to be acceptable. I'm on the west coast of Canada where we are pretty forward thinking. This lady would be pretty hard pressed to find a surgeon who would even consider doing the procedure without a valid medical reason. Again, 'because' is NOT one of those reasons.
I agree with you wholeheartedly about the fact that it's the penis owner's choice. Further, I hope that he's given the right kind of information in order to make that choice. Being teased because he's 'different' is horrible...I soooo understand that. But really, kids can be cruel to eachother and will find literally anything to pick on eachother about. As a nurse (and as a woman for that matter!), I've seen a few penis' (peni?) in my day. Just like snowflakes, NONE of them are the same as any other.
 Quadly
Msg: 7
Posted: 10/20/2007 3:28:16 PM
It's probably not too late, but why would you do such a thing? Is it time for his bris?
The United States is the only country that still practices nonreligious circumcision.
There are more nerve endings in the foreskin than in the glans itself. Pheromones, up to 1/3 of the adult males skin on the penis...

Instead of me copying and pasting a whole bunch, Wikipedia circumcision. Scroll down to the ethical issues.

"A study in 1987 found that the prominent reasons for parents choosing circumcision were "concerns about the attitudes of peers and their sons' self concept in the future," rather than medical concerns"

Surgically removing a healthy piece of genitalia from the body for 'hygienic' reasons is almost akin to cutting off the arm to keep the arm pit clean.

Of every 1,000 boys who are circumcised:

20 to 30 will have a surgical complication, such as too much bleeding or infection in the area.

2 to 3 will have a more serious complication that needs more treatment. Examples include having too much skin removed or more serious bleeding.

2 will be admitted to hospital for a urinary tract infection (UTI) before they are one year old.

About 10 babies may need to have the circumcision done again because of a poor result.
In rare cases, pain relief methods and medicines can cause side effects and complications. You should talk to your baby’s doctor about the possible risks.

Of every 1,000 boys who are not circumcised:

7 will be admitted to hospital for a UTI before they are one year old.

10 will have a circumcision later in life for medical reasons, such as a condition called phimosis. Phimosis is when the opening of the foreskin is scarred and narrow because of infections in the area that keep coming back. Older children who are circumcised may need a general anesthetic, and may have more complications than newborns.
 Walts
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 10/20/2007 3:31:55 PM
Thinking about when I was 12, I know for a fact it would be a cold day in hell before I would have willingly let someone with a knife come anywhere near you know what!!!! You better make sure he knows what he is in for before you let him make this choice or man oh man, will he be pissed with you after.
 Pantherrrrr642001
Msg: 9
Posted: 10/20/2007 3:33:06 PM
OP... CAN it be done?,... yes.
....only IF medically necessary at this stage of the game I would say and if for "cosmetic" reasons as seem to be your sons concern,........ that'd be a harder sell. Especially considering his age. Any physician worth their salt would suggest your son speak to a counsellor first.
You would need a referral to a Urologist AND a Plastic surgeon. Choose carefully it is a HUGE decision and one miscut and there is NO going back.
I have three sons: 16, 15 and 8 and none of them are circumcised ( I have seen it done,.. NOT putting any child willingly through that) I cannot remember once it EVER being an issue with the other boys. I know my sons friends ( that I have known since infancy lol ) are about 80% uncut. Your son is at an age where the odds of all the boys being the same are pretty slim and may be past the point of 50/50 even, favouring uncut.
Good luck and I hope your son soon feels better about himself.
 simplicity666
Msg: 10
Posted: 10/20/2007 4:00:15 PM
Do people really even consider this an OPTION anymore?

How barbaric.

Get thine offspring to a counsellor. Kids will tease each other about ANYTHING. Kids are CRUEL. If he 'fixes' his penis, they will pick on him for something else. It is his SELF-CONFIDENCE that they are picking on, not his penis shape. Help him fix it.
 SoulfulSon
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 10/20/2007 4:59:25 PM
Great replies above.

Wish I'd had some say as an infant and never had this procedure done. If it were my son, I'd encourage him not to feel good about himself without concerning himself with what his peers say. My advice is to support him in getting as much verifiable information as possible. Also, he may simply want to stop showing his penis off to his friends, not usually a recipe for avoiding peer ridicule.
 SoulfulSon
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 10/20/2007 5:00:40 PM
oops... major typo in my previous post:

If it were my son, I'd encourage him TO feel good about himself without concerning etc....
 Fiveteneh
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 10/20/2007 6:40:55 PM
Do people really even consider this an OPTION anymore?

How barbaric.

Barbaric? We're not talking female circumcision with an exacto knife. It's a medical procedure, sterilized instruments and all that, with no adverse long term effects.. Plus, it reduces a man's risk of contracting and spreading HIV.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/background_briefings/aids/434880.stm

sorry it didn't insert as a link.
 Pucks
Msg: 14
Posted: 10/20/2007 7:06:26 PM
Fiveteneh,

It may be a medical procedure, with sterilized insturments but it is still barbaric.

"plus it reduces a man's risk of contracting and spreading HIV"

I suspect your talking about the studies down in Africa and the Phillipines? They have an AIDS and HIV battle their and it is a real problem so they push circumsicion in countries like this.

Circumcision cannot and does NOT eliminate the risk of HIV and AIDS. You still have to protect yourself and use protection. Let's be clear on that.

The following credible organizations DO NOT RECCOMMEND circumcision;

The Canadian Children's Rights Council
The Canadian Paediatric Society
American Academy of Family Physcians
American Academy of Pediatrics
American Medical Association
 colorblindstar
Msg: 15
Posted: 10/20/2007 8:24:40 PM
Proudly adding:

The Canadian Medical Association (has publicly held this opinion since 1982)

summer_wine81
Msg: 16
Posted: 10/20/2007 10:14:42 PM
Cascadian and pucks - I was merely providing the information the poster asked for. And if you re-read her post you will see that she did not want to circumcise her son, it was him ASKING for it. She says that he is blaming her for him being teased by other kids and wants it done, and she was just asking for information.

I know circumcision is a hot button topic, but maybe you should read thoroughly before jumping on the OP or other commenters.
 thegregg
Msg: 17
Posted: 10/20/2007 10:21:28 PM
I grew up with a hoodie for my hammer and it really didn't affect me THAT much, lol.
I think it's up to your son, if he wants it, go for it but make sure he knows that it will hurt a lot.
 Cascadian
Msg: 18
Posted: 10/20/2007 10:58:57 PM
^^^^ So you grew up with one?^^^^^Then what?
When did you get it cut off? How old were you and did it hurt you so much that you recommend that its not a good idea to get it done?
 ~JustSimplyMe~
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 10/20/2007 11:57:53 PM
My son is 6 and uncut. The only way I would allow him to get cut now or until he is an adult would be because of a medical condition. I do know one boy who was circumcised when he was 10, it was a medical reason though...not a cosmetic one- that poor kid had a pretty boring summer watching his siblings running and playing, swimming in the lake and pools. He was confined to minimal movement for 3 weeks.

I also agree with SoulfulSon, tell your boy to quit showing it off lol

This could also be a great time to instill in him that everyone is different for a reason, and if everyone looked the same, it would be a damn boring place to live.
 Pucks
Msg: 20
Posted: 10/21/2007 10:10:49 AM
Summer,
We have read the OP's post.
Not only was she asking for information she is considering the options for her son.
Cascadian, i and others have provided our input.
When you post a thread, it open season for feedback.
 Cascadian
Msg: 21
Posted: 10/21/2007 12:40:08 PM
Actually summer wine I did read the post and was not able to see where the OP says she didnt want to get it done.
I will back off from this topic with you now because I am beginning to sense that you are an authority on male genetalia and have first hand experience in circumsion.
We with peni obviously dont know about it.
I am curious though.......... how you would feel about men discussing female issues and giving you advice on what a female should or shouldnt do with her vagina?
ie: its never too late for an extra stitch or two?
 Fiveteneh
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 10/21/2007 1:31:02 PM
Pucks,

It may be a medical procedure, with sterilized insturments but it is still barbaric.

I doubt that barbarians performed surgeries with sterilized instruments. It might be a good idea for you to refresh yourself on the definition of barbaric.

They have an AIDS and HIV battle their and it is a real problem so they push circumsicion in countries like this.

Why are these countries pushing circumcision? Because "it reduces a man's risk of contracting and spreading HIV", as I said.

Circumcision cannot and does NOT eliminate the risk of HIV and AIDS. You still have to protect yourself and use protection. Let's be clear on that.

First, I never suggested it eliminates the risk of HIV infection. Nothing completely eliminates the risk of HIV infection.

Second, I agree that people should protect themselves. March 2007 the World Health Organization (a credible organization) "recommended that male circumcision now be recognized as an additional important intervention to reduce the risk of heterosexually acquired HIV infection in men." This recommendation was made in response to "the urgent need to reduce the number of new HIV infections globally", not just in select countries.

The quotes in the above paragraph were taken from http://www.who.int/hiv/mediacentre/news68/en/index.html
 Pantherrrrr642001
Msg: 23
Posted: 10/21/2007 2:01:42 PM
Cascadian
We with peni

I know you are probably more in the know of mens' genitalia than women,... but it's penises or penes NOT peni,... and darn cuz that sounds sooo cute.
 Fiveteneh
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 10/21/2007 3:42:25 PM

We with peni

you have more than one????

I will back off from this topic with you now because I am beginning to sense that you are an authority on male genetalia and have first hand experience in circumsion.

From what I've read in this thread, most of the men posting have no first hand experience in circumcision either.

I am curious though.......... how you would feel about men discussing female issues and giving you advice on what a female should or shouldnt do with her vagina?

I am in complete agreement with you here, Cascadian. I mean, no men here would be so presumptuous as to start a thread on abortion, right?
 Cascadian
Msg: 25
Posted: 10/21/2007 4:40:36 PM
tenfour---fiveteneh

I dont see the correlation between me asking peoples thoughts on aborting in certains cases and me asking a woman here about her "expert knowledge" on men and circumcision.
But you got your 3 seconds of fame on this thread. Thank you come again.

Carry on with your expert info on Hiv/aids and foreskin though, Id like to see more .
You say that some countries push for circumcision because it helps reduce hiv infection? How can this be? If a penis or peni which has an opening on the end of it has be circumsized how does this prevent viruses from entering the bloodstream. If a penis has a cut or other scrape for example, on the shaft or on the glans, how does not having foreskin prevent virus infection from entering the bloodstream.

I /we await your answer.
Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Questions about circumcision: Is it too late for a 12 year old to be circumcised?