Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Is it true that American ladies like us English guys?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 streakyme
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Is it true that American ladies like us English guys?Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
You see/hear this mentioned a lot on television/films etc. American girls love an English guy. So why is that? is it because of our good manners, good looks, our accents?
Or is it all rubbish and i've allowed my hopes to be raised and dashed against the rocks of loves rocky shore?
 Janet472
Msg: 2
Is it true that American ladies like us English guys?
Posted: 10/21/2007 2:58:20 AM
English men appear to be joly and happy. And yes i do find their voice of colorfull accent to be stunning. They also appear to be clean.
 _MichaelAngelo
Msg: 3
Posted: 10/21/2007 2:59:06 AM
No - they always think you're australian!
 finneganne
Msg: 4
Posted: 10/21/2007 3:09:15 AM
English men - yummy!!!!!!!!!
 Bre-Anne
Msg: 5
Posted: 10/21/2007 3:13:07 AM
mm the accent.

and funny terminology for things. like.."nutter" haha :)
 Phoenix!
Msg: 6
Posted: 10/21/2007 4:53:44 AM

American girls love an English guy.

They think you're all either Prince William or Vinnie Jones, either way they're happy.

You should hop the pond. I'm sure your Surrey accent would go down a storm over there. I suggest adopting British idoms for maximum effectiveness. Favourites include plonker, bloody hell, twat and geezer!
 ubkobalt
Msg: 7
Posted: 10/21/2007 4:59:29 AM
It's pretty much the accent. Just trust me on that.

I watched a player do his thing, where he was Irish for a week. Worked amazingly well. Even if the accent was horribly fake and he sounded like the Lucky Charms leprechaun. And he was Mexican on top of that. My faith in humanity dropped for multiple reasons.
 CogKaiserine
Msg: 8
Posted: 10/21/2007 5:02:58 AM
It is, it's the accent.
A lot of people (male or female) will go wild for certain accents. English accents just happen to be very popular among North Americans.
I know a few guys personally that once they hear a woman with a French accent they just about explode.
 techgirl27
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 10/21/2007 6:24:07 AM
you haven't seen the dark side of the English folk. I'll put it as nicely as I can. Like the ones who live like students while they're in a big career. Now, property and rent can be quite expensive over there in places, so I can understand the influence of that. I lived there for 7 years. But even on MY low income, I managed to keep my house clean and my car in one piece, and even get the occasional takeaway and holiday.

There are enough benefits available and no tax filing required except for self employed, that there aren't that many pressures. My biggest nemesis was the council tax, usually in the region of 1000-1500 pounds.

Don't be swayed by what you hear, I was and I regretted it. Yeah there are the ones who wont call you back, wont answer the door when it comes time to come over, etc. More than here, their house/flat is their castle. But on the average, they're more polite.

I have lots of little brit speak sayings. Some I completely forgot had anything to do with my stay there. LIke saying "I think we have a sticky situation" ... uh sounds pretty normal to me but when my boss heard it on "are you being served?" he laughed and told me about it.
 GinNJuice
Msg: 10
Posted: 10/21/2007 6:36:49 AM
i am canadian who has met an english guy. other then his accent he left me a lot to desire. but i wont judge a country on one guy. i myself find the accent hot.
 psssst
Msg: 11
Posted: 10/21/2007 6:44:15 AM
I'll take answer number two.

Men are men... regardless of their country of origin.
 Arborea
Msg: 12
Posted: 10/21/2007 7:12:24 AM
Good looks, sexy accents and, well, you guys are a bit exotic.
 wpg_chick_84
Msg: 13
Posted: 10/21/2007 9:32:35 AM
It's the accents.
 Devorah T
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 10/21/2007 10:31:19 AM
The accent definately gives you a jump start over the rest. But after that its down to you to keep a woman's interest. What it really comes down to is that things like good looks, accents etc can get your foot in the door faster, but its really what's inside that counts for the long run.
 kalikat
Msg: 15
Posted: 10/21/2007 10:32:55 AM
Like everyone else said, it's the accents.
 randomstoic
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 10/21/2007 10:32:57 AM
Well I once hit on a woman and she quickly made clear that she had an English boyfriend. The situation was rather amusing because I read it as her statement of what great luck it was to have an Englishmen. Or, maybe more the point, Englishmen are the best defense for American women.
 Fly on the Wall
Msg: 17
Posted: 10/21/2007 10:41:31 AM
I'm gonna be real honest.
In the looks department...I don't like the english features/traits that many men from there have. And I don't know the different areas for accents, but there are very few english accents i have heard that i find attractive. I have a good friend who lives in london, online buddies for years, I'll admit he does have a lot of manners...but sometimes he's almost too polite.

I prefer Irish or European men.
 Icene
Msg: 18
Posted: 10/21/2007 10:53:02 AM
I prefer the Scottish accent to the few English accents I've heard, but still found the English accents attractive.

Of the three things you listed, I would say its the accent. I personally don't find English men any more attractive than American men, and we have more variety here. The manners of the few English men I've met were fine, but nothing extraordinary. I found them far too careful and fastidious for my liking, but not to say this is unattractive. Merely not what I see as a plus.
 Mad_as_a_Badger
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 10/21/2007 12:16:36 PM
I had to laugh at this (in a nice way, not a mocking way)

I'm a Brit who spends quite a bit of time in Northern California and I get the same comments back in Blighty as I do here.

The Brits want to know if I have an American g/f because Americans girls are all hot with great accents.
The Americans want to know if I have an English g/f because they all have hot accents and are pretty little English Roses.

Let's just say, people are people, the world over and anything that seems "exotic" is always assumed to be cooler/hotter/cuter/better than anything "homegrown". The Brits are, on average, no prettier than anyone else. Us Scots are of course gods next to the English though

Just kidding... ish
 SpotlightsOnMe
Msg: 20
Posted: 10/21/2007 2:22:42 PM
I have a friend who goes to the states to stay with friends each year, every time he goes he picks up several women. They all go crazy for his accent, he can tell them anything he likes and they have no way of checking him out and he knows it. Talk about giving the English a bad name!

It has to be said that American and French accents are the best though!!

Rob
 EtchedOut
Msg: 21
Posted: 10/21/2007 2:41:11 PM
North American women love Englishmen because of their excellent condition teeth and the flaky girly manuerisms. LOL
 adele327
Msg: 22
Posted: 10/21/2007 3:40:05 PM
the accent is very attractive i must say. and some of them are HOTT
 LQQK`N41MANONLY
Msg: 23
Posted: 10/21/2007 3:50:25 PM
oh btw.. us canadian women love men w/accents.. ..
 Keystoneshell
Msg: 24
Posted: 10/21/2007 7:10:21 PM
The accents and I love english humor
 a bit nomadic
Msg: 25
Posted: 10/21/2007 8:14:34 PM
Well, I married one. So I kinda got over it.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Is it true that American ladies like us English guys?