Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > What would you say were the magic ingredients to a healthy long lasti      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 SassySandra
Msg: 1
What would you say were the magic ingredients to a healthy long lasting relationship?Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
For a relationship to be long lasting and healthy what would you say are the attributes and ingredients to ensure this happens? Some relationships fail when people have nothing in common, cheat, lie or grow apart. What do you feel would be the "cement" in a relationship whether 3 weeks/ 3 months/3 years/3 decades old? What would make you think twice about playing the field again and wanting to stay with this person?
 jrbogie
Msg: 2
What would you say were the magic ingredients to a healthy long lasting relationship?
Posted: 11/2/2007 5:27:44 AM
Independence................................................................
 The_Player_
Msg: 3
view profile
History
What would you say were the magic ingredients to a healthy long lasting relationship?
Posted: 11/2/2007 5:31:37 AM
well seen as all my 'long' relationships never got past four yrs maybe i'm not qualified to answer this but i sure as heck know what kick starts a realtionship seen as i have had hundreds.
Both parties must have the following in equal amounts and feel the relationship going somewhere.
Attraction.
Communication.
Habits that dont irritate the other.
Sexual compatibility.
Trust.
Challenging. (that keeps the spark alive ;)
 SassySandra
Msg: 4
Posted: 11/2/2007 5:56:30 AM
What would you mean as "challenging"?
 The_Player_
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 11/2/2007 6:10:57 AM

What would you mean as "challenging"?

by being non-needy, non-doormat like, being a bit independent (not too much), a bit mysterious, unpredictable, all that makes a person challenging/ interesting.
 FionaFishBabe
Msg: 6
Posted: 11/2/2007 6:12:39 AM
Like not call him when he expects you to? If a man is used to the woman always running after him and she suddenly stops would this capture his interest again?
 zebra210
Msg: 7
Posted: 11/2/2007 6:21:07 AM

For a relationship to be long lasting and healthy what would you say are the attributes and ingredients to ensure this happens? Some relationships fail when people have nothing in common, cheat, lie or grow apart. What do you feel would be the "cement" in a relationship whether 3 weeks/ 3 months/3 years/3 decades old? What would make you think twice about playing the field again and wanting to stay with this person?

In order of priority,

Great sex,
Frequent sex,
and a good attitude about providing sex.
 robfish
Msg: 8
Posted: 11/2/2007 6:28:47 AM

Like not call him when he expects you to? If a man is used to the woman always running after him and she suddenly stops would this capture his interest again?

This would have the opposite effect on me. I would assume she was losing interest or simply unreliable and that would be the beginning of the end to the relationship. Back on topic, magic ingredients:

Chemistry
Trust
Honesty
Communication
Affection/Love
 SassySandra
Msg: 9
Posted: 11/10/2007 8:18:48 AM
So if reversing the situation would these ingredients cause a relationship to most likely fail?

mistrust
possessiveness
anger
resentment
jealousy
 Vancer
Msg: 10
Posted: 11/10/2007 8:22:33 AM
I think so Sassylilbaby.
Fail, as in a Fatal Attraction movie kinda failing.
Very badness. Bunny gets boiled. That's no good.
 SassySandra
Msg: 11
Posted: 11/10/2007 8:51:46 AM
well you are right there Lol, these negative emotions in any relationship heads it in the wrong direction. Once people cant trust each other, what do they have? If they are suspicious or jealous it destroys the relationship. If they have anger and resentment they cant move on to fix whats right. For a healthy relationship to succeed it needs the positive emotions between people.
 rcuhljr
Msg: 12
view profile
History
 SassySandra
Msg: 13
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2007 10:33:52 AM
1) Communication
2) Respect
3) Placing the relationship as something of primary importance
4) The ability to have time alone sometimes, without fear
5) Sexual compatibility

Those would be my top five ingredients in a healthy relationship.
 Geilis
Msg: 15
Posted: 11/10/2007 10:46:22 AM
1st thing is chemistry...then sex and talking.

If you lose the sex, its hard to get the feeling back.
If you stop talking, you lose your best friend and all the trust that goes with it.

I couldn't have a relationship without both!!

Geilis x
 gtomustang
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2007 10:50:02 AM
there are two necessary ingredients: two healthy-minded people.

That's it. You can't ever make a good cake with good milk but bad eggs. Or bad milk and bad eggs. Unhealthy people can't fake healthy behavior for very long, they resort to what is their learned nature, so it doesn't matter what activity is in the relationship, its WHO is in the relationship. Everything else falls into place, then.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2007 10:56:46 AM
There are no magic ingredients the things that are listed are a good basis to build a life long partnership/marriage. Saying "magic" implies that as long as you have these things, the relationship takes care of itself.

I don't believe it should be "work", it's communication, problem solving, decision making and most of all commitment. That nothing that happens will come between you or tear your apart. Whether it's a situation inside or outside the relationship, that it's something for both of you to work toward a resolution. People often draw even closer when they've worked through challenges together.

To add to the "list" - Patience, gentleness, slow to anger, quick to forgive, shared values and priorities (a majority not necessarily 100%) and the "wow" factor. The times when you look at him/her, think of him/her and think wow, I'm so incredibly blessed to have this wonderful person in my life.
 dontmakecookies
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2007 10:57:45 AM
Many of the things mentioned are important but there is only one thing that is the "cement" that the OP wanted... cement. By that, I mean a deep understanding of commitment on both parties. I believe that in the grander scheme, that is part of loving each other, so if you mentioned that and meant devotion as well then that's included. But very few people really understand what it means to be completely and utterly devoted to someone else and to really understand that your love for someone comes from you, not them. Therefore, it is your job to maintain it when you've made the commitment to do so.

And that, in my experience, is the hardest thing to find.
 Longboy11
Msg: 19
view profile
History
The short list:
Posted: 11/10/2007 11:13:54 AM
From me: someone who knows which end of a screwdriver is the working part! From her: a high limit on the VISA card.
 SassySandra
Msg: 20
The short list:
Posted: 11/10/2007 12:21:26 PM
How much space should 2 healthy people in a relationship give between contacting each other? Do guys get fed up if they hear from their woman every day?
 pjstang
Msg: 21
view profile
History
The short list:
Posted: 11/12/2007 11:07:36 AM
Longboy - Do you think she wants a high (I prefer NO) limit on the VISA so she can buy more ends for her battery operated screwdriver which I think every modern, progressive woman should own? Are you concerned about whether she knows the difference between a slot screwdriver and a phillip's head? How about square head and hex tips? Do they count?
 Slappy15767
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 11/12/2007 11:38:32 AM
Don't ask me. Never had one. In fact, the looong relationships were the really shitty, unhealthy ones.

Two years with the thoroughly damaged girl who said she couldn't have an orgasm because her dad molested her. Priceless. Hated every goddamned minute, and still haven't figured out where my head was during that period.

So, how's that for an ingredient? "Your partner must have moved on from her bad experiences."
 Eno1975
Msg: 23
Posted: 11/12/2007 11:45:31 AM
Some of you may recognize the comment- but it's stuck with me for years:

"Never fall out of love at the same time."

That is the only constant I can think of- through the rest of the subjective commentary. Not to say it's not insightful- but unfortunately no matter what you do these days it's so easy to move on I think a person has to consider that we spent 4 billion years or so evolving as a promiscuous species.

Eno.
 hotdave73
Msg: 24
Posted: 11/12/2007 11:54:11 AM
Friendship is the most important quality. It combines everything else everyone wrote (except for sex)and it includes: your ability to accept the others faults and you desire to make the other person happy.
If you don't marry you best friend, you'd better make every possible stride to ensure you become best friends.
 Moto Monkey
Msg: 25
Posted: 11/12/2007 12:08:54 PM
The main thing for a long relationship is that both people like the idea of a long relationship. They have to have an idea looking ahead that seems worth whatever problems might arise. That usually manifests as devotion, or taking satisfaction in belonging together in some grand sense that endures. Given that shared ideal, the next quality would be accord, or the ability to get along well. The minutes that make up the days that make up the years have to be enjoyable each one , so that at any given moment, for the most part, the two people enjoy how they relate. It is what they would choose to do given all other possibilities. Lastly, the woman has to look hot when she waxes my motorcycle.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > What would you say were the magic ingredients to a healthy long lasting relationship?