Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > So.. where do homebodies go to meet good men?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 wyohickchick
Msg: 1
view profile
History
So.. where do homebodies go to meet good men?Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I need to get OUT of my house. Ive been waiting for Ed Mc Mahon to get his sorry butt over here and give me my check.. and was hoping he'd bring along a nice single friend for me..

Every day I look in the mirror and practice my OMG look so that when they get here and Im on camera.. Ill look truly genuine.. but even MY stubborn self can see that neither one of these men are coming to see me.

So its time to get off my dead and dying and see whats out there. I havent dated in two years since my divorce, and frankly... you boys scare the crap out of me.

Ill admit.. Im damaged goods.. Im trying hard, so hard, not to be.. Im not jaded or rude.. but I AM pretty inhibited. Heaven forbid I get out there and be rejected!

So.. any ideas? and how does a woman put out there that she is available? I think I missed the "Hey baby wink wink Im available" vibes... Cause when I DO get out.. nobody even looks!!
 someplace***
Msg: 2
So.. where do homebodies go to meet good men?
Posted: 11/15/2007 7:14:42 AM
I'd suggest: trying to meet men online.
But, according to women's comments that I've read in these forums, there's no good men online. Guess you're outta luck.

but seriously:You need to get rid of this vvvv attitude.
Ill admit.. Im damaged goods..
You're not "damaged goods". You need to realise that, and have a more possitive attitude about yourself.
 Thorb
Msg: 3
Posted: 11/15/2007 7:46:21 AM
I'd suggest just getting involved with some groups that are coed.
something you like to do ... a club of sorts.
I don't know what you like so I can't say .... but bowling comes to mind.
dancing is another thing or charity functions.... but just casual socializing at first .... not date hunting.

start slow .... friendly and have fun .... that's where you really get to meet people. And even if you don't click.... you had fun.

good luck
 Random Entry
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 11/15/2007 7:50:56 AM
Honestly? It's not where you are but how nice you look when you are out and if your attitude is approachable. All you have to do is linger your look a little longer than noticeable and a guy knows you're interested whether you're sitting on the park bench by the lake, picking up chicken in the grocery store, in the library, buying a coffee or even getting gas.

Most of us "homebodies" who don't go clubbing or drinking still have to do the basics but I think the local excercise trails are one of the best places. I've talked to women from around the globe at my local three lake network. Swedish women have asked me to take their pictures, meet a chinese woman who wanted to be a professor so she was studying there, cute german chicks with incredibly blue eyes...etc. The reason I like it is that when people are there they are in a more relaxed state of mind, they're not rushing here or there. There also isn't the pressure of the "meat market" singles scene. Us hardcore excercise fanatics are out in the worst weather while the weaker willed ones are out only on golden sunny days. Dogwalkers all the time. Even if you aren't into fitness get a book and park it on the bench next to the nearest water pump/drinking fountain.

But the bottom line is that it really is about attitude. A charismatic person will draw people towards them where ever they are.
 redneck176
Msg: 5
Posted: 11/15/2007 8:11:56 AM
Go wander around a hardware store on Friday or Saturday night. Might get that leaky faucet fixed anyhow. A friend of mine met her husband there, she was at the Home Depot. Swears it was the best idea, I think she read about it somewhere.
 UniqueManinSoCal
Msg: 6
Posted: 11/15/2007 10:38:28 AM
I would highly suggest you find an organization that fits your passion and volunteer.

You seem like you need to rebuild your social skills and maybe work on the insides a bit as well as realize how good you really have it. The positive feelings and emotions you will get from volunteering as well as the good karma you will get will help. Plus as a volunteer you will be around many people both male and female. They may or may not be date potentials but either way it will be good practice for you to be sociable and work on things you or friends may see you need to work on. Social skills such as communication, body language, etc are learned behaviors and the only way to learn is to practice.

On that note I would enlist a friend to be around to watch your interactions and give you feedback. I am guessing you may not be the most objective on your own interactions at this point so that might be a help too.

Good luck!
 sunl0ver
Msg: 7
Posted: 11/15/2007 10:51:43 AM

Heaven forbid I get out there and be rejected!

I'd recommend getting rejected. Do it BIG too. Do it in front of crowds, people, friends, and family. Go down in flames followed by a technicolor funeral. Only then you'll realize that it's no big deal and that it's much better to get rejected then to live a cowardly life of endless paper cuts.

Whenever I feel like I can't find that *somebody*, I just get active and forget about finding a partner. Join a Gym, Y, classes, church, etc, etc. Being happy with yourself is the best opposite-sex attraction I can think of. It seems that lightning strikes when I'm not looking.
 zanzibar196
Msg: 8
Posted: 11/15/2007 1:01:27 PM

Ill admit.. Im damaged goods.. Im trying hard, so hard, not to be.. Im not jaded or rude.. but I AM pretty inhibited. Heaven forbid I get out there and be rejected!

So.. any ideas? and how does a woman put out there that she is available? I think I missed the "Hey baby wink wink Im available" vibes... Cause when I DO get out.. nobody even looks!!

1) I don't think you are that damaged. Maybe a bit banged around the edges, but a nice man will fix that...

2) I'd never reject a pretty woman like you...

3) And you don't live in my neck of the woods, so I can't give you that vibe, or look at you... (I will relocate for the RIGHT woman...)...

Just my two cents worth...
 Moto Monkey
Msg: 9
Posted: 11/15/2007 1:19:29 PM
Maybe if you start a thread asking how to meet men someone will notice you and send you an email. Just a suggestion.
 Phoenix!
Msg: 10
Posted: 11/15/2007 1:21:07 PM

But the bottom line is that it really is about attitude. A charismatic person will draw people towards them where ever they are.

I completely agree but that's not unusual with Random.

You gotta strut like you're having the best day of your life which isn't hard if you can find pleasure in the small things in life. I always try to find something to be pleased about even if it's just that I'm having a good hair day, I nabbed a perfect parking space or Starbucks have started doing Toffee Nut Lattes again.

When I'm feeling good I usually have a smile playing on my lips and my eyes are sparkling which results in a lot of male attention; probably because I seem more approachable. If I'm in a bad mood it must radiate from me as I can feel the crowds parting to let me through. So, as Random said, have the right attitude to start with and the rest will follow.
 rune3
Msg: 11
Posted: 11/15/2007 1:27:55 PM
Well you are on PoF.... can't think of a better place. I'm not exactly sociable -- seeing people at work is pretty much enough for me. I like being at home best of all. Met my special someone on PoF, through the forums, and now we're both enjoying just being at home -- together. Don't pressure yourself, just let yourself get to know people with no agenda and see whether you find anyone you particularly like. There are decent men on here for sure, I know two in person and others through forums. But you need to take your time and get to know them, not stand there with a list like you are interviewing applicants for the vacancy.

As for "damaged" that's subjective but if you see yourself that way you probably will be. We all have scars, and emotional tangles - it doesn't make you broken, it makes you human. Your troubles and suffering may bring the light that allow you to see someone else for the wonderful human being they are beyond their scars and insecurities.
 strangerstill
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 11/15/2007 1:34:54 PM
I'm a homebody too. It's what the internet is for.
 Imperturbable
Msg: 13
Posted: 11/15/2007 1:40:03 PM
I like smart chicks, so I'm often found scavenging in the libraries, universities, and grad student lounges, when I have time.

Man, do librarians turn me on!
 strangerstill
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 11/15/2007 1:44:26 PM

Man, do librarians turn me on!

Of course they do, nerd babes are hot.
 fouthempire
Msg: 15
Posted: 11/15/2007 1:53:31 PM
The produce department.
 wayne_2008
Msg: 16
Posted: 11/15/2007 2:07:29 PM
You need to define who and what type of man is a good man to you. You may be looking for the wrong type of guy
 bucsgirl
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 11/15/2007 2:11:57 PM
Did you check your local forums to see if there are any POF activities in your area?

It's a little more relaxed with a group activity, you can mingle and not feel "stuck" if you're not enjoying talking with someone. If you don't know where the local forums are, drop me a line.
 jeeprennie
Msg: 18
Posted: 11/15/2007 2:25:46 PM
My wife met me right here...THEN we went out and did things together.
 medicoguy
Msg: 19
Posted: 11/15/2007 2:34:43 PM
well i'm from texas also and i was going to send some pointers to your mailbox; but, your mail restricitons don't allow it

unfortunately the suggestions i have can't be posted in the forums.
 jrbogie
Msg: 20
Posted: 11/15/2007 2:59:05 PM

I need to get OUT of my house.

Step one. Step two will come along just fine.
 SalsaSalsa2007
Msg: 21
Posted: 11/15/2007 6:50:08 PM
Honey you really need to build yourself back up again, sounds like that divorce ripped everything you had away...believe me I know!!! Sounds like your self confidence is shot and believe me men can smell self confidence in a woman!! You need to get involved in something that fills YOU up and makes you feel good before you can turn those womanly whiles on some man!!! Don't look for a man to make you feel good, that will come naturally once you have it going on girl!!!
 ESTROGEN WHISPERER
Msg: 22
Posted: 11/15/2007 7:12:39 PM
I would look, if you were to get out, but you haven't been out, so I haven't looked. Don't be so flustered. I have not been out in a long time either, and now I am fine staying home all the time. Don't worry, you will get used to it. I used to look at a woman and think of all the things she could do to me. Now adays, since I have matured, I look at a woman and think of all the things she could do to me. That makes getting involved a lot less appealing. The world is your oyster, brave it !
 Baber.
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 11/15/2007 7:15:04 PM
Cancers are known to be homebodies, same can be said for a lot of different star signs as well. Therefore' it's not so bad ... people have to realize and accept themselves for who they are. Finding people online and through forums is a great idea. I agree with rune3 :)
 canuck-in-oregon
Msg: 24
Posted: 11/15/2007 9:29:31 PM
Fire up the tractor, drive out in the pasture near the road, and break it. The tractor that is. May take some effort if you are driving real JDG.

Oh wait, that's how to attract every old farmer within 40 miles, maybe not exactly what you're looking for?

Good luck from a fellow hermit anyway.
 paulald
Msg: 25
Posted: 11/15/2007 10:55:40 PM
That is so funny redneck176!

I had to go to Home Depot and then to Lowes a couple times to get stuff for small fix it projects around the house and I later commented to my guy friend that I thought these places seemed to be the new scene where guys try to pick up women. I guess because most women aren't ever in one of those places, especially alone, so the guys assume if you are in there alone you are single and therefore fair game. LOL
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > So.. where do homebodies go to meet good men?