Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > what do women think about truck drivers?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 slowjoeut
Msg: 1
what do women think about truck drivers?Page 1 of 1    
OK you all have been so much help that I gotta ask this one. What I'm wondering is should I leave that information out of my profile? I know all the stereo types, and honestly can say that I'm not any of it. Hey it's a good job and I get to be home quite a bit really. why do women dislike truckers. The reason I put it right up front and center is to get it out of the way, right off the bat. Is it poisoning my whole profile? Should I omit it and tell a woman after we get to know each other a little more? That would make me feel dishonest somewhat, but omission is not lying, right?? Anyway, would appreciate any feedback......
 GeneralizingNow
Msg: 2
what do women think about truck drivers?
Posted: 12/10/2007 12:30:51 PM
I'm dating one now. I am fine with it, but I don't want a man around all the time. The issue isn't the JOB (is it?), the issue is that the man isn't around.
 Dzine107
Msg: 3
Posted: 12/10/2007 12:52:56 PM
There are certain things that in the past I've omitted untill I've gotten to know someone...example-I live in a trailer. People just assume I am some white trash hillbilly when they hear that-nevermind the fact that I OWN my trailer outright and it's nicer than most of the houses I've seen. Now I realize that people who stereotype aren't really the type of people I want to be with in the first place.

I say be honest about your job. There is no shame in making an honest living.
 simplelady66
Msg: 4
Posted: 12/10/2007 1:06:12 PM
I don't see why it would be an issue...it is a job, a good job, and you obviously enjoy it. Don't hide it. Just point out the good points, like you are home quite a bit, etc.

totally off topic: love the name on the boat!
 RedCassandra
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 12/10/2007 2:18:47 PM
My best friend is married to a truck driver. He is a fabulous guy and she adores him. I would have no problem with it.

Actually, I would not have a problem with any profession (within legal limits) as long as a person enjoys what they do and are passionate about it... Or if they don't, they are trying to change it.

I would not like to be involved with one who hates his job and does nothing to change it.

shaylyn
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 12/10/2007 2:24:50 PM
I see no issues with you being a truck driver. Its a really good way to make a living and you get to travel! What more could you ask for. As long as you have trust, thats all that matters.
 Song Sparrow
Msg: 7
Posted: 12/10/2007 2:28:21 PM
Not wanting to get my head bitten off but ...... years ago I worked at a truck stop on the highway and was told not to date the truckers coming in as most of them were married and just fooled around while they were on the road. And yes some of them did try to make the moves... unsuccessfully. I would be leery to date a trucker because of this. His being away all week I could deal with but not a chick on the side....
I am sure you are a nice guy though and not all truckers are bad.
 GeneralizingNow
Msg: 8
Posted: 12/10/2007 2:33:05 PM
^^^^I bet I've been hit on by lawyers and doctors, too, but I wouldn't lump them all into a "horny cheating guys" category. I do not doubt that SOME truckers are hornyy cheating bratstards. But it just comes down to how trustworthy and honorable a man is, not his job.
 Not_a_FAT_Slob
Msg: 9
Posted: 12/10/2007 2:59:06 PM

But it just comes down to how trustworthy and honorable a man is, not his job.

I agree.

When I drove long haul, the thought of cheating on my ex never crossed my mind even when I was horny and I had whores approaching me at the truck and rest stops.
 wpg_chick_84
Msg: 10
Posted: 12/10/2007 3:27:37 PM
I personally would not want to date a trucker long term. I'm the kind of person who likes to see her significant other fairly often when things get serious, so a trucker who's gone all week wouldn't really work for me. Furthermore, my long, long term goals would not really work with a trucker. I want to have a family some day, but I also want to be a lawyer. The type of law I want to get into (I want to work in the legal department for a large company, or do real estate or wills and estates type law) is generally 9-5 type work, but there will be days where something major comes up and I'll have to work 10-14 hour days for awhile. If I'm married to a trucker who's on the road, who's going to care for our children while I'm at work late at night and he's on the road? This wouldn't happen all the time that I'd be working late, but from what I understand about trucking, if they actually want to make any money, they're going to be gone most of the time.

As for what you should tell women, you made a career choice. Some women may not like it and will choose not to date you, you're just going to have to live with that, or find another career choice. But I bet almost anything you come up with will make some women not want to date you. I've had men tell me they don't want to date me because I'm a student and I've had other men tell me they don't want to date me because I want to be a lawyer and they are either intimidated by that or they don't have a good opinion of lawyers. It's something I've always wanted to do, and I've decided I'm not going to let a few people who choose to not date me because of it, stand in my way. It may mean I have to look harder, but I made a choice and am willing to live with it. And I'm not going to lie just to get more dates as it will probably end up way worse in the end. I mean what do you think a woman's reaction will be after she gets to know and like you when you come out and say 'Oh by the way, I'm a trucker. I didn't say anything earlier because I thought it might scare you off.'
 luvnlife2
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 12/10/2007 3:37:43 PM

I see no issues with you being a truck driver. Its a really good way to make a living and you get to travel!

I agree. There is nothing wrong with being a truck driver. The big issue for a woman is going to be: How much are you away from home?
 mistressdolly
Msg: 12
Posted: 12/10/2007 3:43:43 PM
I agree too: She will wonder how often you won't be around....

Mistress Dolly
the orig.
 oscarz05
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 12/10/2007 4:03:33 PM
I think it would be a more just and accurate thing to say that you don't want to date guys who travel for work.

and I can't believe how many truck driver threads there are. surprises me.
 shaylyn
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 12/10/2007 4:06:47 PM
oscarz makes a good point. I mean, its not like transport drivers are the only ones who travel. So does that mean some of these women wouldn't date a pilot? or a military man? They both have jobs that require them to travel. Its not the fact of someone being a transport driver, its all about the trust in the relationship.
 El_Mariachi
Msg: 15
Posted: 12/10/2007 4:07:07 PM
Um..

What are the trucker stereotypes? Never heard that $hit before.
 strollinbella
Msg: 16
Posted: 12/10/2007 4:20:18 PM
I would have no problem dating a trucker. My exbrother-in-law was a long distance trucker, and one of the nicest, most honorable men I've ever known. My exsister-in-law learned to drive transport just so she could be with him. They have now retired from trucking but are still involved in the life as they own a truckers' supply store in Saskatchewan.

Back to your original question. OP, do not feel you have to keep your profession out of your profile. If you were to start seeing someone, you will tell them what you do at some point, so why not do it now.

I would much rather see trucker in the profession slot than something like, "I have one." When I see that comment or similar in a profile, I stop reading right there.
 oscarz05
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 12/10/2007 4:24:48 PM

you know, there are other kinds of truckers other than long haul truckers.
 sexythaiflower
Msg: 18
Posted: 12/10/2007 4:52:18 PM
turk diver good - bring all my food and makeup to my tesco lotus.
 slowjoeut
Msg: 19
Posted: 12/10/2007 6:32:45 PM
hey Oscar, where did you find truck driver threads? I searched to make sure there were none, and I found none. Would be interested to read them. Winapegchk, you make me wanna be 33 again, and move to Canada LOL. your advice is pretty sound, you are the one told me to leave it in when I was looking for a review of profile a while back. thanks for input, good luck with law school. As for the poster who has never heard truck driver stereo typs, thats great, I wont repeat them. The reason I asked this questions is a couple of friends (Who are drivers too) told me they would drop it from profile. so here I am again glad I asked... THANKS
 Herding Cats
Msg: 20
Posted: 12/10/2007 6:41:03 PM
Barely saw my father for many years growing up. He left before I went to school and often got home after my brother and I were in bed. I know all the lingo, I know all the issues...

I'd like new experiences. I don't want to date a truck driver and hear the same conversations I've been hearing most of the past 30 years ... all over again.

That's all. I respect the profession and the inherent danger that the drivers live with much of the time, but I don't want to date someone with that job.

I hate that my dad and brother still do it and I worry myself SICK this time of year.
 Smart-Blonde
Msg: 21
Posted: 12/10/2007 8:03:53 PM
First off, why leave it off? They are going to find out eventually. It isn't going to matter when they know, if they don't prefer the life style that goes with.

I agree with one of the OPs who said it isn't the actual job, it is that you are gone a lot and your schedules vary. I know, I dated one. It was hard. The longer we were together, the more I wanted to be with him, but couldn't. Plus we could never plan anything far down the road because we wouldn't know if he would be in town or not.
Unless one has a set scheduled run, it is hard on the other person.
 voclare
Msg: 22
Posted: 12/11/2007 12:08:40 PM
if you are an o/o tell them you are self employed or own your own business. or just say outrite that you drive a truck. dont think leaving it out would be best.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > what do women think about truck drivers?