Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Measuring spoon for bulk yeast?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 dave382satx
Msg: 1
Measuring spoon for bulk yeast?Page 1 of 1    
Yeast is much cheaper if you buy it in bulk, such as a 4 oz. or larger jar. The equivalent of a package of yeast is 2-1/4 teaspoons. My wife needed THREE packages for a recipe, so I measured 2-1/4 TABLESPOONS out of the jar for her. But this would have been much easier if there were a single measureing spoon that holds 2-1/4 teaspoons. Has anyone ever found a single measuring spoon that measures this amount? In other words, a single spoon that measures the equivalent of a single package of yeast. Or 2 packages, etc.
 MacGyverRI
Msg: 2
Measuring spoon for bulk yeast?
Posted: 12/19/2007 9:03:17 AM
1st, yeast can be a bit over on the measurement, it will just work better and faster. Using 2.5-3 tbl. would have worked just as well. People get caught up in exact measurements.

I buy bulk also and use an old thin pill bottle w/ a mark on it for frequent recipes. Put the measured amt. in a pill or a sm. old spice container and mark the level.
 Random Entry
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 12/19/2007 9:12:20 AM
Nope. I measure out two slightly heaping teaspoons or one shallow tablespoon. A full tablespoon is 3 teaspoons. Actually now that I think about it most flatware or silverware tablespoons are not an actual measuring tablespoon anymore so if you check how much they actually hold you may likely find one that comes close.

If you're handy with carving you could always make one. Preferred woods would be hard maple, birch, bamboo with a mineral oil finish. If you're not handy with carving get a dremel for hollowing the end out.

For whatever it is worth you can't really overyeast a recipe. The dough simply rises faster so if you stick with the old methods of working with it when doubled you are fine. If it's a bread machine and on timed setting this can be an issue.
 junipermoon
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 12/19/2007 9:35:08 AM
i've seen scoops that hold up to 1/4 cup. they have increments marked on the insides that show 1/8 tsp up to 1/4 cup. i don't know if they still make them, though. they used to show up at auctionhouses and flea markets.
 blues49
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 12/19/2007 9:48:18 AM
"Pampered Chef" makes the "adjustable" spoons with the sliding stop inside , and adjustable measuring cups .

http://www.pamperedchef.com/our_products/catalog/overview.jsp?categoryCode=KW

The measure-all cup may be the best thing since the others skip from 2 max to 3 minimum . Especially handy for "packed ingredients like butter/brown sugar .
Had one of them and the small "slider" jobs , and they were handy , but the ex (who doesn't cook) took em ......

All their stuff is pretty good quality .
 rsx11s
Msg: 6
Posted: 12/19/2007 10:08:03 AM
Speaking of yeast (I make pizza dough, that's it) the last time I bought a jar of the stuff was at a different store. It's about $5 for a small brown jar of it. But right next to it, also made by Fleishmanns was a one pound freeze dried square of "instand yeast" that felt like styrofoam shink wrapped in shiney metallic plastic. The instructions on it said to use about a third of the amount you'd use from the small jar. And it's like $2.

What is this stuff, whay haven't I seen it before and if it's thi smuch stupid cheaper why is it all I see are the jars of yeast everywhere?

Signed,
Puzzled in Ontario
 Random Entry
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 12/19/2007 10:17:15 AM
Yup, that's the cheapest/best way to buy it, rsx. You can fill your jars and I store the rest of the bag in the freezer. I've only seen it in bulk stores so I think its a matter of demand. More people now than ever before are making fresh bread at home due to breadmaking machines.

I don't know about using 1/3. You can get away with using less of the "Quick Rise" or "Rapid Rise" stuff because the way they dry it keeps more of the yeast alive in the end result. But I've used it for a decade now.

"Pampered Chef" makes the "adjustable" spoons with the sliding stop inside , and adjustable measuring cups .

You're right and damn! I used to have one of those, too, which I haven't seen in the longest time until you just reminded me right now. I wonder if the matching adjustable slider cup is still in my kitchen....
 dave382satx
Msg: 8
Posted: 12/20/2007 7:31:13 AM
Thanks to everyone for your input. Actually, I spent a few minutes doing Google searches for such a spoon, and I came up with one. It is sold by the King Arthur Flour company for $3.95. Here's a link:
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/detail.jsp?id=7144

But really, you would think that Fleischmann's would include a plastic measuring spoon with every pound bag of yeast they sell. Like the little scoops they used to put in coffee cans. Or the scoops that Miracle Gro puts in it's boxes of tomato fertilizer. They (Fleischmann's) could probably get them made in China for two cents each. Who wants to pay four bucks for a single measuring spoon? Thanks again for all your input, and happy baking.

Dave
 baldrick65
Msg: 9
Posted: 12/20/2007 8:03:08 AM
Ideally you should measure the bulk yeast by weight... anytime we have used yeast in our baking classes we have always weighed it

Cheers
 blues49
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 12/20/2007 8:49:10 AM
The link gave me another idea , dave . O-rings from ACE for rolling pin rings .
 dave382satx
Msg: 11
Posted: 12/27/2007 10:00:22 AM
Blues49: What do you mean by rolling pin rings???
 blues49
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 12/27/2007 10:13:43 AM
Blues49: What do you mean by rolling pin rings??

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/detail.jsp?id=8647

Spacers to control the thickness on thin stuff ^^ .

Americanrover
Msg: 13
Posted: 12/30/2007 1:28:37 PM
Say Dave I'll bet the yeast companies just haven't thought of it. They are probably thinking of commercial and professionals who weigh everything as opposed to home cooks who measure. I think you have a great idea there. LDR
OH! I've had a disaster over Christmas. I move about half of my kitchen to my sister's house for every family gathering . This time I foolishly carried up my marble rolling pin. Waaaaaa It fell on the tile floor and is gone. Waaaaaaaa I say again.
So, 2 dilemmas; 1st is that I don't know how to start a new post! (WELL DUH HOW DIFFICULT WAS THAT? ) So I'll mention the 2nd one here while I keep trying to start a new one. I need to find out what pins others like . This one was a gift from my sweet mother in law over 25 years ago. I've used it and used it and really like it. I'm short and don't have a lot (not even a normal amount) of upper body strength.
Linda
 idiot_savant
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 9/30/2011 5:18:57 AM
this is sorta on topic...still talkin bout yeast anyway
i do a LOT of bread making and i have on hand both kinds of yeast..my dry yeast...ie fleishmanns or whatever...is kept in a 1 quart mason jar, tightly sealed, in the freezer until or if i need it...
the mainstay yeast i use tho is compressed...(live) yeast...i swear by it...i tried it instead of instant yeast about 7 yrs ago and been using it ever since...the first batch of bread i made using it tasted so much better that i was sold on it...
i buy mine from the wholesale club here...its readily available and dirt cheap...(a buck 37 a pound)
it comes packaged in 1 pound bricks in waxed paper...
when i get it home, i crumble it and keep it in a zip-loc sandwich bag in the coldest spot of my fridge...
i wont get into a debate as to how much you use as compared to dry yeast...its not that important...a tbsp is a tbsp is a tbsp...
to the OP...i have yet to see a recipe that required the amount of yeast to be graduated in quarter tsps...use too little yeast and whatever you are making will take longer to rise...use too much and your bread, or whatever, may have a yeasty taste...(more noticable if using compressed yeast...it is stinky)...also, adding too much yeast will make your final product more susceptible to spoilage...
but 1/4 tsp of yeast one way or tother aint gonna matter a lot
 arwen52
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 10/2/2011 8:10:57 PM
King Arthur flour has one:
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/yeast-measuring-spoon

If you use a lot of yeast, buying it by the pound is even cheaper. Believe it or not, I found it at a good price at Whole Foods. I think it was $8/lb. and the 4 oz. jars in the grocery were $4 each.

You don't have to be exact with yeast, you know.
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Measuring spoon for bulk yeast?