Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Young People on dating sites, why?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 redee2tryagain
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Young People on dating sites, why?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Now don't go getting all fired up...................... but when I was young, I was out all the time meeting people, so never really had a need for a dating agency...........it's only now my free time is limited and the problem that it is not always safe to go out on the "pull" so to speak.

So I was wondering if the young people of today have the same problems I now face, and is that why they are on dating sites like POF, or are there other reasons (that I don't know about).?

Don't for a minute think I am having a go at the young ones, I am just being nosey.

So why do young people use dating sites, instead of going out and meeting people in clubs and pubs?

All ages are welcome to add their two pence worth!
 bluebrummie
Msg: 2
Young People on dating sites, why?
Posted: 12/26/2007 12:22:26 PM
I guess not all Teenagers are confident enough to go out and meet people their own ages, I know I wasn't at that age (nothing's changed! LOL.)! Another thing is society as changed and a lot probably don't feel safe going to clubs etc. without fear of getting their heads kicked in or worse!

vvvvvvvvvv

Yep. money as a lot to do with it or the lack of it as you pointed out! Good luck by the way!
 Semi-Mental
Msg: 3
Posted: 12/26/2007 12:23:53 PM
Some people find themselves in situations that mean the can not afford to go out all the time and have other responsibilities.

I moved a long way to be with my ex, then moved back to my mums and most of my friends who I had been to school with etc had all moved on with their lives.

I went out with my sister a bit but I always felt like i was tagging along. They were her friends not mine.(although they are mine now)

I went back to college and made friends, although most 6 years younger than me with carefree lives and I couldn't possinly keep up with.

So, some of us just don't have the choice to be out all the time.

PS. Poor Bradley
PPS. I have met a rather nice fella off here, who is younger than me and he's lubbly!
 GEORDIE-COLIN
Msg: 4
Posted: 12/26/2007 12:30:38 PM
ahh,when your talking about the young i presume that you are refering to the likes of me?
as a young man barely out of my teens i find girls my age are only after one thing!
my tadger.
if there not getting any success then they are just talking about my tadger.
its a hard life being so young,wrinkle free,child free and with money to just squander.
so,im here looking for the more mature,suffisticated bird.
one with poise,dignity,class and culture.
maturity is a must.
im seeking a mummy figure who will pick my socks up and put them in the washing becouse she knows.
allso i may be a little too fast for her liking in the bedroom department,but she knows i have energy to burn.
but once shes got me another beer out of the fridge she knows ill be ready again and again.
in short,girls my age are too fickle.they dont understand the wants and needs of a young,vibrant man.
girls my age are still having hissy fits if there parents ask them to clear up after themselves.
how the hell will they be able to clear up after me?
ffs.
no,and,after ive thrown them, the girls my age take the piss out of me and lie that my tadger is way too small.
in fact,my reputations so in tatters due to these lies spread about my prowess that ive no alternative but to find someone older who will appriciate my faults.
i hope that my post is the start of many beautifull relationships with the more learned women in here?
 WarmSunBuddhaFingers
Msg: 5
Posted: 12/26/2007 12:30:41 PM
Not every youngster conforms to smoking, binge drinking, drugs and shagging around... I used to go to pubs/clubs in my young adult days and to be honest it did little for me apart from suffering hangovers and a heavy dent in my finances. It's over rated social peer pressure crap...

Pubs/clubs are ok within moderation but maybe youngsters want a little more diversity in their social lives instead of getting hammered every weekend, plus it doesn't seem so safe going out nowadays, does it? The NHS is struggling especially in the festive peroid because of pub/club go-ers just act like pathetic drunken sheep.

Dating sites are safer and healthier!*munches a whole tin of texas BBQ pringles*
 bootielicious
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 12/26/2007 12:34:08 PM
I can think of two valid reasons.

1. They may not be living in the area they group and need to make new friends in order to go out. No one likes to go out on their own.

2. Children these days grow up on the internet and surfing is second nature. There are very few who don't have a computer at home and as it is safer and cheaper to stay in and chat on the net it's like a natural progression.
 kylieskool
Msg: 7
Posted: 12/26/2007 12:49:27 PM
the reason im on it because i have a child and dont go out much to meet people and i also find that the pubs arent the best places to meet people.id rather meet a man when im sober and hes sober,and not a one night stand.
 mrsjackdaniels
Msg: 8
Posted: 12/26/2007 12:56:14 PM
My reason (think Im still young) is because I haven't long lived in the area, so without going out on my own, which isn't the best idea in the world, this is the best option. Besides it's cold out there and the beer is cheaper in my house.

At least this way you get to know people a bit before meeting, without the beer goggles and smoke machines clouding your judgement and if you can meet friends at the same time (which this site is fantastic for) then all the better
 Euroalex
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 12/26/2007 12:57:39 PM
internet dating is the future. so it's only good they get used to it.
 Ladybirdy
Msg: 10
Posted: 12/26/2007 1:02:05 PM
Not all young people (whatever "young" means!!!) like pubs and clubs. What they do have to offer that beats the internet, is a face to face opportunity to meet someone local in a relaxed atmosphere.......but you have to like that sort of atmosphere.

I would have thought that a lot of people - regardless of age - would prefer to meet someone, somewhere other than during a weekend encounter in a nightclub or pub.
But if you don't like pubs and clubs and your workplace is a no go area, the alternatives of evening classes are not particularly appealing as hives of social activity and if you lack single friends, getting a regular social life can be a problem. Of course a salsa class is supposed to be a good place to meet people.....but you need rhythm for that!!
 Hollowleg
Msg: 11
Posted: 12/26/2007 1:25:11 PM
At the risk of sounding like my mum the music is so loud you cant talk probably to people in clubs & even if you could hear you most likely to be merry & forget most of it anyway.
 Eternity999
Msg: 12
Posted: 12/26/2007 1:26:19 PM
Well I can't speak for others, but the reasons why I am here is are:

a/ I work crazy hours - I have to be up at 5am for work which means I cann't go out in the evenings & I also work 6 day weeks (5 full days 1 half day) which dosn't leave alot of free time to go out.
b/ I am absurdly shy when it comes to trying to chat up women in a pub
c/ Drinking does not mean that much to me. Been there, done that & I don't go to pubs alot anymore. Hate (with a passion) clubbing.
d/ I don't really have many friends my age outside of work. Sure I have a few, but they live miles away from me - up where I went to college (70ish miles) or around my parents house (140 miles)

I have tried to make new friends where I live, but it just dosn't work so I have given up. Little point if when you TRY you basically get it thrown back in your face. Well that is why I am here. Make new friends & to try & get a date. I have nothing to loose & everything to gain from this.

Well that is me. I'll let somebody else young take the floor now. Cya
 duracelbunni
Msg: 13
Posted: 12/26/2007 1:27:12 PM
I'm always out with friends. And I meet new people on a pretty frequent basis. but i have to say I live in a fairly small town and often just don't meet the right type of person in a club/pub/bar.

Plus if you don't work with many people your age it can be hard to find people with similar interests.

Having said that s not that I necessarily have trouble finding girls to chat to or potentially date. It's just that PoF is an excellent place to chat to lots of people that you would otherwise never have a chance to meet.

Merry Christmas

Neil
 ponderme
Msg: 14
Posted: 12/26/2007 7:43:39 PM
Young people aren't necessarily comfortable with the pub/club scenario of meeting people. The reasons are use this website are:
* I don't drink, and pubs and clubs in my area are geared towards accommodating binge drinking
* Due to the area I live in, opportunities for meeting the opposite sex in a social atmosphere are limited unless one is into the binge drinking culture (see above)
* I really find it difficult to be around intoxicated (drunk) people. If I want to get to know someone, I would like they to be sober, in control of their facilities and be able to make rational decisions.

In many ways online dating does facilitate things. For a start one doesn't have to ascertain whether the person you saw is single or not, because on here you just look at their profile. I like it that you can read their profile and see what things interest them, helping you to decide if the person is compatible with you.
 dreamer1958
Msg: 15
Posted: 12/26/2007 9:06:17 PM
OP, as I see it it is not as safe out in the town at night as it was 20 – 30 years ago.

If you’re a bloke out for a quiet night there are more tossers who cant hold their beer and just want to be a violent idiot,
and if you’re a lady there are more chances of sexual assault.
 ~Missy~H
Msg: 16
Posted: 12/26/2007 11:41:15 PM

So why do young people use dating sites, instead of going out and meeting people in clubs and pubs?

I had my son young, and it was almost 3 years before I went on a night out again after having him.

Once I did start going out, the pubs and clubs scene were fantastic, loved every minute of it. But if I wanted a relationship, it wasn't the best place to meet anyone. Not for me anyway and not at that time.

But now I'm older and have abused the pub/club scene good style. I'm not as interested in going out to do that anymore.

Plus I work full time so my time is limited, plus i'm in a female dominated job, OK we have 3 guys, two are married and one is gay. So the chance of meeting anyone there is nil.

As a mum, I won't invite any guy around whilst my son is in the house, unless he's family or a long term friend. Always done this and always will do until/if things progress that far, that a man gets introduced to my son, which up to press has only been 2 in 10 years.

I would love to go out more than I do, but my commitments as a mother come first.
If my son needs something or myself or for my home, I can't justify pissing my money up the wall. Even if I drank coke all night, it's still money.

I also go to University one day a week, which the class is all mature female students on this course. Although the tutor is rather fit, but he's married, so another no go area.

So with Internet dating, I have more chance of meeting someone than away from it. I can get to know the person quite well before meeting, if that's what we plan to do.

Plus the bonus side of things, I've made female friends too, so that opens up my social circle. One friend from here has a very fit brother ha ha. So there's more opportunities like that available.

The meets from here, members can bring guests. So there's more chance of meeting someone under those circumstances. I wouldn't have attended things like this if it hadn't have been for the Internet dating site like this place.

If all that ^^^ lets me down next year, I will become a nun. Sister Mary Missy at your service.
 redee2tryagain
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 12/27/2007 1:34:45 AM

id rather meet a man when im sober and hes sober,and not a one night stand.

Bravo lady, I can see the sense in that, and the safety feature, you come across as a very sensible person.

Thank you all for enlighten me, as I said in the opening, it was just me being nosey, and now I have a better insight into what it is like to be young and looking for a decent partner, in a safe environment.

I wish you all good luck for the future in your search for Mr/Miss right....
 smartyarty
Msg: 18
Posted: 12/27/2007 3:43:22 AM
My eldest girl is 19 and wouldn't dream of using POF. BUT she does talk a lot to her friends via IM, facebook, myspace. It's a different world to when we were kids and could only communicate with tin cans tied with string!
 The BFH
Msg: 19
Posted: 12/27/2007 4:48:33 AM

Who says we can't do both? Its not like I'd say to someone showing an interest in me at bar or club, "sorry, I only do internet dating" as I'd be shooting my self in the foot then... with a bazooka.
Its just another option y'all, Word up! (sorry still thinking about the Westwood thread)
 sprite57
Msg: 20
Posted: 12/27/2007 10:32:44 AM

It's a different world to when we were kids and could only communicate with tin cans tied with string!

That's exactly it, young people do internet dating because they can.
 SanToki
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 12/27/2007 10:36:53 AM

That's exactly it, young people do internet dating because they can.

Plus the ASBOs keep them away from all the best meeting-up spots.
 Hope~
Msg: 22
Posted: 12/27/2007 12:32:35 PM
there do seem to be a lot more under 30's, let's say, on here in the last couple of weeks I have to say
 ~Missy~H
Msg: 23
Posted: 12/27/2007 1:30:27 PM
My tag alerts the police after 7pm if I go anywhere near the front door.
 redee2tryagain
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 12/27/2007 2:26:05 PM

Plus the ASBOs keep them away from all the best meeting-up spots.

Ooooooooh that's the reason...........

My tag alerts the police after 7pm if I go anywhere near the front door.

I know it can play havoc with your social life, I have the same trouble.........dam curfews..
 dreamer1958
Msg: 25
Posted: 12/28/2007 1:46:18 AM
ASBOs?
what are they?
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Young People on dating sites, why?