Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > What does "laid back" mean?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 birdybabe
Msg: 1
view profile
History
What does "laid back" mean?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I am just curious... often, I've found, it means that someone who likes to watch alot of television, drink beer, and can't make up their minds on where to go (to dinner, or with their life).

That being said, what does "classy" mean?
 thoughtful76
Msg: 2
What does laid back mean?
Posted: 1/5/2008 1:47:19 PM
I consider myself laid back. That just means I am easy going and don't sweat the small stuff. It doesn't mean I'm a bum or anything.
I figure classy means, a classic sense of manners, decency, and not inclined to do anything that might be considered trashy.
 SlingDad
Msg: 3
Posted: 1/5/2008 1:48:43 PM
You can have class whether you're born into the Aristocracy or poor as a Church mouse. It's about how you carry yourself (but not being a snob) but always taking the high road (without announcing it), caring for others (without being a sucker), having high standards for yourself and your loved ones, not settling to the lowest common denominator of those which you come into contact with, not taking unfair advantage of a situation.............etc etc etc.

Edit: Oh yeah, 'Laid Back' means relaxed and not hyper-controlling or intense to me, not necessarily a couch potato or slob.

Just my humble opinion, of course.
 PrimalTranquillity
Msg: 4
Posted: 1/5/2008 1:51:25 PM
I find the terms overused and generally mean very little. I could describe myself as laid back because it takes a lot for something negative to really bother me and break my spirits - yet I do not consider myself lazy - therefore I just avoid the term. Classy could mean a lot of things, but in my mind it invokes images of good manners (but I am very cautious to make assumptions or believe these two descriptors when used by someone in their own profile).
 Ave Caesar
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 1/5/2008 1:52:03 PM
'Classy' to me means a woman who has lots of nice clothes and shoes and knows how to wear them, knows how to do make-up well, knows how to speak intelligently and clearly and avoid vulgar language, knows how to fit in with any crowd, even people who are older and influential, and feels comfortable at formal events.
 strangerstill
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 1/5/2008 1:53:35 PM
I don't drink beer.
 HipHipChinChin
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 1/5/2008 2:00:21 PM
The urban dictionary says about classy:

An adjective
1) meaning very stylish and elegant.
2) not crude or misgusting or dirty or depressing
2) a deeper, more meaningful word for 'cool'

Ghettofied adjective from the late 70’s & 80’s that somehow became socially acceptable with predominately middle & upper class homogenized White Americans, especially during the last few years. The biggest mistake connected with the use of this term is that it should never be used to describe oneself. Those who use it to describe themselves never are.

My personal opinion:
'laid back' suggests a type B rather then type A person. Type A's are the people, who are go getters and ambitious. They get most of the heart attacks. Type B's have learned to relax, which is very good for life balance. Yet, the may trade enjoyment of life for life achievements. Considering type B's losers suggests that statement coming from a type A person :)

Although, I concur that 'laid back' is an easy euphemism for a depressed life.

'classy' is something that I feel ambivalent about as well. It suggests an aspiration for a highly stylish and elegant life. Yet, many profiles mention it in a way, where it expresses more wanting to be there then being there, while still looking down on most other people. I'd assume, if a person where really pre-occupied and accomplished at being stylish and elegant, that person would more talk about relevant restaurants, clothing etc. E.g., good chefs don't express their acclaim by talking about their greatness. However, they discuss the differences of a blonde vs. brown roux. And, the nature of their comments will make it apparent.

While I appreciate refinement and the finer things of life, I tend to associate 'classy' rather with stuck up wannabe.
 Abacus Flinch
Msg: 8
Posted: 1/5/2008 2:10:22 PM
Laid back means anything you want it to. I don't mind. Have fun with it.

Classy means you don't put anyone down, especially if they have it coming.
 EtchedOut
Msg: 9
Posted: 1/5/2008 2:23:59 PM
Good question, interesting observation...

I personally have always seen it being calm under stressful circumstances...someone who doesn't get dramatic over pitty situations or fret over anything moot.
 ubkobalt
Msg: 10
Posted: 1/5/2008 2:28:04 PM
don't sweat the small stuff

I agree with this.

There's too much worrying going on. It's rare and appreciative when women practices forgiveness and letting things go. Not everything needs to be addressed. Just the ability to look at the big picture and even if there are some things that are wrong, you can think "Things are working, and it's pretty good."
 sixofseven8
Msg: 11
Posted: 1/5/2008 2:47:12 PM
Something to do with spilt milk and crying, laid back people use tissue to clean up the milk not the tears.
 hardclimber
Msg: 12
Posted: 1/5/2008 3:42:39 PM
This is starting to sound like the women who dates the guy that still lives with his mom in her basement. Laid back?
 Aurora772
Msg: 13
Posted: 1/5/2008 4:29:54 PM
OP, I think that you are confusing an outlook with a lifestyle. "Laid back" is an attitude that as the others have said, means that the individual doesn't sweat the small stuff. I'm "laid back" because carrying around a laundry list of hurts and grudges is mentally and physically wearying. Having this attitude is actually a part of success, at least if you buy into what Zig Ziglar teaches.
 floating down the river
Msg: 14
Posted: 1/5/2008 5:41:16 PM
Tyrone,

Classy means you don't put anyone down, especially if they have it coming.

Wow!!!

People with class treat all people the same.

Hip Hip Chin Chin,

I've seen that version of class that you describe, "stylish and elequent" and I suppose for the right man, it might be a perfect fit. Not for me, too much $$$ of which I have very little of.

Laid back is such an over used phrase that I don't think you can attach any meaning if someone puts it in their profile. Laid back to me is "you don't sweat the small stuff" and you" roll with the punches."
 stormtree
Msg: 15
Posted: 1/5/2008 5:49:54 PM
In Canada it means that the government can goof around with taxes but no one really does anything about it
 MrVitamix
Msg: 16
Posted: 1/5/2008 6:24:31 PM
laid back can mean anything from mildly lazy to severe laziness to not easily upset... can also mean happy go lucky or lack of responsibility, it can be good or bad, you have to meet someone to see what THEY mean by it.
classy? can be anything from a beautiful woman to a cheap hooker, just depends on how much you've had to drink.
 floating down the river
Msg: 17
Posted: 1/5/2008 6:27:06 PM
ihaveaname4you,

"Classy" means that you have tact. You know how to look good, act respectful and talk nice. You know how to sit at a dinner table and have a decent conversation. It doesn't take money to have class; it takes action and representation along with presentation.

What you describe is called good manners. Class has that and more.

Class stands out! At least in my thinking it does.
 PrinceVelveeta
Msg: 18
Posted: 1/5/2008 8:28:13 PM
It really depends on what the poster means.

In my mind laid back means "don't try to change me", "I don't stress out about stuff" and "cheap date".

To me classy means the house better be clean, that there finicky about entertainment, that they are judgmental by nature and that the date won't be cheap.
 jrbogie
Msg: 19
Posted: 1/5/2008 9:02:09 PM
Good question. I suppose that's why I would never use adjective phrases like laid back or classy or any other adjective when describing myself in my profile. Don't think I did anyway. I leave such judgements up to the observer. Some even call themselves pretty but pretty to me is likely not pretty to someon else. The profiles that intregue me the most are those that let me get into the mind of the woman. What does she think, how does she feel, is she happy, secure in herself, confident etc. I'll judge whether or not she is pretty, classy, laid back or whatever later. All she should concern herself with at the moment, is what is going to intrigue me enough to contact her.

And by the way, after looking at your profile, you seem pretty classy to me. If I wasn't old enough to be your father I'd consider it a fun challenge to turn you into laid back as well.
 RogueGnome
Msg: 20
Posted: 1/6/2008 12:44:50 AM
I'll probably lose my "Dude Card" for a couple of
days over this. But, I absolutely do NOT like beer.

I once sent a sample of lager beer off to the CDC,
to have it analyzed. They sent back a note, telling
me that my horse is diabetic.

Perhaps, in the minds of those who litter their
profiles with buzzwords like that, it means they're
extremely relaxed. Of course, it could be some
secret code, where they're telling us, that they
haven't been Laid, since way Back in
19 and 83.

That being said, what does "classy" mean?

Much of an "all things to everyone" phrase.
Definitions will vary as per those posting opinions
about it.
 UniqueManinSoCal
Msg: 21
Posted: 1/6/2008 1:35:14 AM
it is always easiest to use a dictionary to find definitions to words.

laid-back
–adjective Slang.
1. relaxed or unhurried: laid-back music rhythms.
2. free from stress; easygoing; carefree: a laid-back way of living.

But I define it closer to the word easygoing

eas·y·go·ing
–adjective
1. calm and unworried; relaxed and rather casual: an easygoing person.

Now let's see about the word Classy

class·y
–adjective, class·i·er, class·i·est. Informal.
of high class, rank, or grade; stylish; admirably smart; elegant.

Although I have it closer to the definition of elegant

el·e·gant
–adjective
1. tastefully fine or luxurious in dress, style, design, etc.: elegant furnishings.
2. gracefully refined and dignified, as in tastes, habits, or literary style: an elegant young gentleman; an elegant prosodist.
3. graceful in form or movement: an elegant wave of the hand.
4. appropriate to refined taste: a man devoted to elegant pursuits.
5. excellent; fine; superior: an absolutely elegant wine.
6. (of scientific, technical, or mathematical theories, solutions, etc.) gracefully concise and simple; admirably succinct

Amazing what the internet can help you find.
 kenb5b01
Msg: 22
Posted: 1/6/2008 3:49:07 AM
~ RogueGnome ~
Nothing like living up to your nick. Yer booted man! Out!
Chapter 1, Rule #2 subsection 2.1b ALL Dudes must like beer. That's the rule.

~ OP ~

often, I've found, it means that someone who likes to watch alot of television, drink beer, and can't make up their minds on where to go (to dinner, or with their life).

I have to say that I have been seeing the same thing you describe in both men and women. I prefer to say I am comfortable in my life and myself. I don't get excited and fly off the handle over trivial issues, instead I try to analyze the problem and find a way to resolve it. Anger is a blindfold and most times conceals options. In my experience anger seldom results in a positive outcome. I think many people use the term "laid back" as a way of saying they lack ambition and aren't excitable, kind of like the saying, “why do today what will wait until tomorrow?”

Classy?
I agree with RogueGnome pretty much.
Classy to me is being able to maintain dignity in adverse situations. Being able to maintain composure in embarrassing situations. Being able to gracefully assist somebody off the hook after they have shoved a leg down their throat. Classy is being tactful and respecting the feelings and ideas of others even though you might disagree.
Classy is many different things in different situations to different people...
 MrVitamix
Msg: 23
Posted: 1/6/2008 4:29:42 AM
I once met someone who considered themselves laid back... the place they lived in was a smelly pig stye and they were using crack cociane and speed.

I was wondering since they were all doped up and up... why they didn't use the energy to clean ?......

you really meet some crazy people online, just more exposure to the general public... people you wouldn't meet any other way.. often a good thing.

when someone says they are "laid back", ASK THEM what they mean and how they are laid back.
same with all that other dating wording like: adventurous, open minded and honest. Often people seem to think more highly of themselves than the reality of things when it comes to dating and posting a personal ad profile...
lying becomes marketing in that area.... all too often.
 cdflash
Msg: 24
Posted: 1/8/2008 5:03:27 AM
IMO, laid-back: relaxed, satisfied, liberal, has a laissez-faire attitude towards things.

classy: sophisticated, trendy, upmarket, spends more on his date than he does a tank of gas for his car.
 oysterloaf
Msg: 25
Posted: 1/8/2008 5:12:48 AM
Laid back-different people have different takes on what it means. To some people it means pretty much what you just said. To others, it means you don't go ballistic because you happen to be stuck in traffic. Each of us attaches a different meaning. If it is used by someone, then it helps others to get a better picture if you give an example. Otherwise it could give the wrong impression of what you mean.

Classy-means you don't have to say that you are. At least to my thinking, it is a sense of poise and composure. It might mean a good sense of yourself and consideration for those around you. It doesn't mean snobby, and it doesn't mean artificial or putting on airs.

Just my 0.02
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > What does "laid back" mean?