Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Rich woman, poor man. Could it work?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 El_Odio
Msg: 1
Rich woman, poor man. Could it work?Page 1 of 1    
So the lady is an Optomotrist, which I read makes around 100K. Though this could be adjusted for the fact that it's a Wal-Mart eye care place. And the guy (me) is a poor sob with a Bachelor's Degree and is unemployed. And his last job he worked part-time for 10K. He is aggressively looking for a career though.

We've been going to dinners as part of a group, but I'm trying to step up the situation a bit.

So do you ladies think an independently wealthy woman could respond to the appraches of a man who can't even yet afford to move out of his parent's basement?
 rowdysheis
Msg: 2
Rich woman, poor man. Could it work?
Posted: 1/11/2008 3:26:17 AM
You have a degree in Multimedia with a minor in Graphic Design, and you can't find a decent paying, full-time job?? Or any job, for that matter? You can't be trying very hard. I'm sure your lady friend wouldn't mind dating a man who doesn't make the same amount financially as she does, but I doubt that she would be inclined to have a serious relationship with a man who can't even find a full-time job. I suggest you become even more aggressive in looking for that career. What were your career plans when you majored and minored in multimedia and graphic design? Or did you even have any career plans? If you want to keep her attention you'd better step it up and get motivated.
 KinkyBastard
Msg: 3
Posted: 1/11/2008 4:23:26 AM
Sure... That’s what "toy boys" are.

One of my mum's friends went to Africa... This friend of hers is actually quite famous, as she's the mother to a highly recognized and hugely successful female author... But I won't mention names, as I'm sure I'll probably get a fat law suit on my case... Anyway, yes she goes to Africa and picks up this hunk of a man. My mum's friend is in her mid 50's, this guy is like my age (35), but wow... She's sooo in love.

Whether or not it will last is another matter, but she seems very happy.

So Good Luck to both of them is all I can say.
 Insearchoflosttreasure
Msg: 4
Posted: 1/11/2008 4:42:39 AM
I agree with rowdysheis, if you cannot find a job then how likely is she to date you. Some people get degrees in basket weaving but if it can spin off into a million dollar gift basket business then great. Your only hope is that she likes you enough to either give you a job working for her or that she recognizes the fact that you are to be her kept man. Now what course do you want to take in life? Prettywoman rings a bell but are you a cute enough guy to bcome Handsomeman?
 americaninthailand
Msg: 5
Posted: 1/11/2008 5:31:12 AM
Nope. Good for short term, not for long term. However, women are getting more educated, powerful and rich - so some make adjustments for the lack of comparable males. The gap you are suggesting is not really that much though as both are well educated and the guy can find a good job with more effort and Walmart is not really a place you brag about working at.
 Twisted Sister
Msg: 6
Posted: 1/11/2008 8:11:21 AM
100K is wealthy? Not after the taxman get his cut. People, at least in Canada, are taxed at a higher percentage on that amount than those who make about 50K so, the end result is that once you are in a higher tax bracket, sometimes you can end up seeing less money on your paycheque if you get an income increase.

My niece's dad is, what she calls, a "house biatch". His partner is an engineer in the oil patch and she makes a fair amount of money. He never finished high school and can only do menial jobs, so they decided together that he would be a "stay at home". They have been together 9 years now and, from all accounts, they are happy together. They both respect each other's ability to think outside the box.
 Thundercloud111
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2008 10:39:44 AM
It could work. It's not about work. I find very few professional women to be wrapped up in status, position, and competition. Her interests in you are pure and you certainly couldn't call her a golddigger. She doesn't need you. Glad we got those big questions out of the way, beyond reproach, which anger women. Sometimes, I think women become professionals for social justice. She wouldn't treat you as any less of a human being and expects not to be treated as any more of a human being. Like Dale Carnegie said a long time ago to treat all people with respect. There are people who apply it and live it. That seems to be a key to success. You might have that in common which is more precious than gold. I like guys that are nice to all people, especially the cleaning lady, cashier, etc...there are no subhumans.
 SunnyTexas
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2008 10:44:40 AM
First I want clarification regarding your comment below:

lady is an Optomotrist, which I read makes around 100K.

What did you do...some kind of compensation search ?...tell me you dih unt !

What a bum.
 whiteknightgb
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2008 10:53:17 AM
what about beggarman, thief,
 GeneralizingNow
Msg: 10
Posted: 1/11/2008 11:15:43 AM
It very well COULD work, I have several--yes, SEVERAL--female friends who are the sole wage earners in their relationships. They must be getting something they need from the men *other than money*, go figure!
 David3634955
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2008 1:01:15 PM
Why - after working so hard to get equal pay, equal rights, sexual harassment protection (all of which I think are no-brainers and are all necessary) - do women still think that a man who doesn't work is nothing but dead weight?

Normally, wealthy couples live in what's called a "residential area". This may be called a "house", "apartment", or even "condominium".

*cue ooohs and aaaahs*

Now, unless they want to hire someone to clean up their home while they're both off at work, isn't it smart that someone stays at home and makes sure everything is tidy?

Isn't it a good idea to have a parent there to take care of their children, rather than always leaving them at daycare? Or does a constant day care situation not sound as cold and uncaring as I feel it does?

A man - particularly the type who would be open to being a home body - would seem like an ideal candidate to take care of a child when his partner is the ideal mate: a hard-working, strong-spirited, and wealthier woman.

Sometimes thinking outside the box leads you to discover ways of living that are better for you than the normal ways. Wow! Isn't that amazing? It should be obvious, but apparently people don't think about these things in great detail.

My rant's over (and was all my opinion), so I'll just state my opinion on the topic now: I'd want to be in just this type of relationship for a specific reason: chances are my career will *not* be one that is wealth-focused, but rather leads to a reimbursement that is more intangible.

~ David
 Kynnie
Msg: 12
Posted: 1/11/2008 1:12:47 PM

So the lady is an Optomotrist, which I read makes around 100K.

Yeah...hmm..I gotta be honest...I read that and thought...WHY are you doing homework on how much this chick earns?

My niece's dad is, what she calls, a "house biatch". His partner is an engineer in the oil patch and she makes a fair amount of money. He never finished high school and can only do menial jobs, so they decided together that he would be a "stay at home". They have been together 9 years now and, from all accounts, they are happy together. They both respect each other's ability to think outside the box.

^^^ I met a guy like that. Now dont get me wrong TS...Im not implying that's the case at all with your scenario, Im just making an observation on this particular guy I met.
His wife is a CEO for an insurance co. This particular guy sits at home all day playing in his double bricked garage with all his boy toys etc. Nice looking guy, great personality & funny too.
All in all I thought at the time *oh well, they seem happy and to each their own*...
...until the day he confided in me that he was with her for the money. Never spoke to him again after that.
 *tinydancer*
Msg: 13
Posted: 1/11/2008 1:53:44 PM
No. Unless she likes taking on lost causes.

And I'm surmising she's considerably older than you therefore making her $$ all the more appealing, huh? I mean, she'd die first and you'd NEVER have to work, right?

Just out of curiosity -- if you've got a degree, why can't you find a job? I mean I can understand it's in the socio-political structure of pygmies in New Guinea, but anything else should be easy. I suspect you really aren't trying that hard which is the reason for your interest in the rich woman.
 El_Odio
Msg: 14
Posted: 1/11/2008 2:29:25 PM
I was interested in her long before I found out what particular job she had. Until yesterday all I knew is that she worked at Wal-Mart and Sam's Club. So I certainly didn't get into it to dig for gold.

I don't know if sending out 5 resumes per week is considered lazy, but if it is , then I guess I am. But that's about how many Graphic Design jobs turn up anyway.
 Vintage Princess
Msg: 15
Posted: 1/11/2008 2:46:52 PM
If your submissive and a gentleman it will work.
 dnguyen4
Msg: 16
Posted: 1/11/2008 3:34:34 PM
Go for it dude. You sound like a nice guy so hopefully she will choose you. My cousin dated his now wife when he didn't have a lot of money. Luckily she like him because of his personality not his wallet. Her family wasn't very happy at that time, but they're now lol. He went to become a dentist. Also you have a bachelor degree but no job hmmm....just graduated?
 El_Odio
Msg: 17
Posted: 1/11/2008 3:57:34 PM
8 months ago

Messages this short may not be posted
 americaninthailand
Msg: 18
Posted: 1/11/2008 5:46:27 PM

I don't know if sending out 5 resumes per week is considered lazy, but if it is , then I guess I am.
j

Yes you are. Job hunting should be a job in itself and take you all day long every day except for the times that you are working temp or shit jobs to fill the space and bring in some money.
 sarasotagal76
Msg: 19
Posted: 1/11/2008 7:11:35 PM
Hell NO NO. You do not go to college so upon graduation you can make only 10K. It is no sense. You had to be proactive back in college and look for a job well in advance. If you would land one full time job even if it is only 40-50K and that is what many college graduates get I bet it WOULD WORK!!!!!!! She would appreciate you determination and an ACTUAL SUCCESS even you make much less.

Xo-xo-xo. I make 95k (the base pay) . I have dated a firefighter with 38K per year. I was nothing but proud with his devoition to his job and a lot of challenging hard work on his part. He has NOT have a college degree but got his 38K and it was hard work.....

Mr. OP when you are close to graduation you have to be vey proactive in terms of job search. You also have to start get work experience in your field (internships0 about 2 years before graduation)..... I am sure you will say you have done all that but I will tell you looks like you have not done it the right way even if you believe so.....You have to build a professional experience in YOUR field of study a couple years before graduation. In academia we call it the Golden Rule.
 taray_queen
Msg: 20
Posted: 1/11/2008 7:24:58 PM
It'll only work if you are able to hold a steady full time job and make decent $. Or if she is 20 years older than you and half senile, it could work, too. Or if you look like Brad Pitt.

I was married to someone who couldn't hold a job. I'm not a materialistic person, but geez, in this country, we have to make a living to be comfortable. Not only did we struggle financially, although I make as much as your optometrist, there was a lot of insecurity, he was always depressed and volatile, and I was unhappy and lost affection.
 Akutenshi
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 1/12/2008 4:47:22 AM
Try registering on an online job search agency, its what i did and was getting 10 different job openings that i fit for and were in the areas i liked every day.

5 Resumes a week isnt realy aggressive.
 Kynnie
Msg: 22
Posted: 1/12/2008 4:57:19 AM
Yup OP...I gotta agree with the other posters...
Look...IF you reallly want a job that pays more than ten grand a year... you can do it.
Five resumes a week will definately put you in the running for *something*... but wont be pullin in the bucks til what you want comes along.
Part of growing up is knowing when & what are the correct choices to make even if they arent the ideal that you expect or hope for at the time.
Also part of growing up is knowing that the skills you pick up in "incidental" work...make you who you are and only bring further experience to gain the objective you desire.
Seriously... if your 100k a yr woman is worth it...just accept *now* stuff to build for a future. Not for her but certainly for yourself.
Regardless..Any woman will admire that...whether she earns a hundred grand or not.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Rich woman, poor man. Could it work?