Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Does nail polish have any hidden meaning?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 YappleDapple
Msg: 1
Does nail polish have any hidden meaning?Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Okay girls, educate me. I know that there are meanings associated with flowers. That would be too easy to ask a question about so I was wondering if the same applied for nail polish or is it just personal choice.

Do women use specific colors to signify different things or moods?
 Space Kitty
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Does nail polish have any hidden meaning?
Posted: 1/15/2008 4:36:12 PM
I use whatever colors I like, no special meanings....just whatever I feel like wearing at the time.
 cowtrucker
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2008 4:38:26 PM
Sometimes I use different colors for moods, sometimes it's to match the clothes for the evening, but mostly its to hide the grease from working on the engines...

I usually look for pretty colors, and solid colors. I've never been one for the French-Manicure, nor light pinks.

At Halloween, I'll wear Orange, to be seasonal, but normally it varies from metallic dark blue, to Fuscia, sometimes a green, or a chrome color that changes with the light...

I still think it's personal choice. I've gotten the most comments when I wear the dark metallic blue... It matches my truck.

CowTrucker
Chapman, Kansas
 Herding Cats
Msg: 4
Posted: 1/15/2008 4:39:23 PM
Do women use specific colors to signify different things or moods?

Not this one. I hate doing my nails. I inevitably touch something wrong and eff 'em up. A French manicure goes with everything (if I am so inclined) but whatever I put on has to last and not clash.

It must be neutral and quiet... Like ME!

*Looks at her fingernails*

Yeah. They haven't seen polish since September.
 jazmella
Msg: 5
Posted: 1/15/2008 4:41:26 PM
Nope, no special meaning for me. I use whatever I have/whatever colour strikes me at the time. Usually it's something dark, since I'm already as pale as it is and using a light colour wouldn't stand out. lol. I used to dislike wearing nail polish (pain in the wazoo to keep touching up/applying), but now my toes and fingers will not be without it for a while! :-D
 YappleDapple
Msg: 6
Posted: 1/15/2008 4:41:43 PM
Leara: that is what I think but was wondering if there was any old rule book that someone knows about? Like the advice you get when choosing flowers.

cowtrucker: so you seem to think that it is a reflection on the type of work you do or to match a season.
 YappleDapple
Msg: 7
Posted: 1/15/2008 4:43:53 PM
Herding Cats: so you are after durability?

jazmella: you are after contrast
 Kitcat74
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2008 4:45:38 PM
I'd say definitely not. Sometimes I paint my nails and sometimes I don't and the colour is purely whatever I see on my shelf and think hmm, that's pretty!
As for flowers as long as they're not the garage bought ratty half dead ones which signify a forgetful cheapskate with no imagination, I don't put any store in their "meaning" anything either!
 jazmella
Msg: 9
Posted: 1/15/2008 4:48:07 PM
Yapple, yes, I do enjoy contrast.

Actually, that is also true with hair/eye colour, clothes (mostly dark colours for me since I'm light-skinned), etc. I guess that's why I like having light hair/dark eyes. Just like dark hair/light eyes looks phenomenal. Mind you, this is not set in stone... :-)
 *Tee*
Msg: 10
Posted: 1/15/2008 4:48:10 PM
Yeah, it means we felt like putting polish on our nails..

and men say WE analyze things too much...
 hollymackeral
Msg: 11
Posted: 1/15/2008 4:49:03 PM
Why, yes indeedy our nail polish colors have meanings. And here they are:

French: I like French fries.
Red: I vote Republican.
Blue: I vote Democrat.
Yellow: I scare easily.
Orange: I'm color blind.
Pink: I'm a girl.
Purple: I have kids who watch "Barney."
Brown: That's not polish; it's residue from the chocolate box.
Silver: I want you to buy me some jewelry.
Gold: See silver.
Green: I lost a bet.

I could go on and on, but I hope this sampling will provide you with the insight you seek.
 Herding Cats
Msg: 12
Posted: 1/15/2008 4:54:35 PM
Herding Cats: so you are after durability?

Just shining up the lures now and then and don't want to do it very often.

I don't like worrying about my nails. After growing them for 4 months and polishing and filing and shining them up, one breaks and my world falls apart.

*sigh*

I'm just not a girly girl. I grow them long once a year and when the first breaks, that's it.

Edit:
LOL Holly, that's good ;)

Too bad they don't have "Mood Polish" that changes colour with your mood, like the rings. Then I'd just FLASH my fingernails to let people know to BACK THE HELL OFF or approach because it's safe.

Might be a little weird if I only had my toes done though. Taking off boots in public and wiggling one's toes at people could be seen as odd.
 YappleDapple
Msg: 13
Posted: 1/15/2008 4:56:27 PM
kitcat74: Only a few short answers and I am seeing some interesting stuff here.

jazmella: thanks again for your comment

*Tee*: just thought you guys would like a something different to comment on

hollymackeral: fantastic answer am still cracking up.
 YappleDapple
Msg: 14
Posted: 1/15/2008 5:00:00 PM
Herding Cats: as long as your “lures” are talons it is all good….lol.
 Herding Cats
Msg: 15
Posted: 1/15/2008 5:04:48 PM

Herding Cats: as long as your “lures” are talons it is all good….lol.

Sometimes they are just comparable to a Willow Leaf and later they will rival a Ford Fender.
 *Tee*
Msg: 16
Posted: 1/15/2008 5:05:31 PM

*Tee*: just thought you guys would like a something different to comment on

Ok, now you made me feel all bad about my joke..

Really tho, it doesn't mean anything to me....now if we're talking lipstick? Thats a whole other thread!
 YappleDapple
Msg: 17
Posted: 1/15/2008 5:10:32 PM
*Tee*: is all good. Took it as a joke but added a comment too. Now the lipstick would be a good thread but am on this one for now.
 sarasotagal76
Msg: 18
Posted: 1/15/2008 6:06:12 PM
Yes when you go to college on a day of a bif football game you may paint your nails in a color of your school. Meaning behind? I want my team to win!
 rethgryn
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2008 6:24:59 PM
The meaning of flowers is mostly archaic. They don't really have the meaning they used to. It was from a time when people were much more repressed and couldn't talk as openly about sex, or their feelings.
 fay98
Msg: 20
Posted: 1/15/2008 6:58:33 PM
If I have a special date I try to think of what I'm wearing that night, so in preparing I try to match colors. After that whatever for a week I wear the color automatically goes with it!
 wpg_chick_84
Msg: 21
Posted: 1/15/2008 7:13:03 PM
I usually just wear silver sparkly nail polish, partly because it's harder to tell when there's chips and it's easier to touch up. When my fave team plays I wear some combination of blue and gold nail polish (usually blue solid polish and gold sparkles over top) because that's my fave team's colours. I'll also wear clear polish sometimes too, because it makes my nails shiny. On special occasions (like going out to the bar or something) I'll wear black, because I generally wear black when I'm going out and I like the way it looks. Black is hard because it takes so long. You have to put on several coats and let them dry a long time between coats (or for a really long time after) or you might mess them up and black nails only look good when they're perfect. After a day or two they start chipping and the polish has to be removed.
 Luv Karla
Msg: 22
Posted: 1/15/2008 7:55:33 PM
No,the color of nailpolish does not have any meaning.

It's all a matter of preference.
 Senorita_B
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2008 8:13:49 PM
I'm not a nail polish type. I have long nails that I keep cleean and trimmed but never use polish. I have in the past growing up, but then would never use noticable colors. Usually would stick with clear or pinkish subtle colors.
though I do paint my toenails so that they look nice when shown, but still it is a subtle color.

But polish color means nothing. It all depends on personal taste and style
 YappleDapple
Msg: 24
Posted: 1/16/2008 8:02:06 PM
bradentoncutie, rethgryn, fay98, wpg_chick_84, Luv Karla, bonitad27: thank you for your comments
 Briannazg2
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2008 11:48:08 PM
Never really gave it much thought, I am partial to purples.... more muted colors in fall, pastals in spring.... and sometimes I break protocol and have my toes a different color than my fingers.... once for halloween I painted punpkins on my toenails.... so guess overall just whatever in the mood for and strikes my fancy.....

Great thread
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Does nail polish have any hidden meaning?