Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > What's a good temperature in my house for my cat?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 The_garbageguy
Msg: 1
What's a good temperature in my house for my cat?Page 1 of 1    
I'm trying to keep the thermostat low at the house because I had a $600 oil bill a few months ago. When I leave I turn the temperature way down. But I have an older cat - he is 16. He seems happy enough - even when the burner died and it was 50 degrees. But I don't turn it below 60.
 HAMAZING
Msg: 2
view profile
History
What's a good temperature in my house for my cat?
Posted: 1/16/2008 1:50:06 PM
Hey there, I keep it a steady 62, and I haven't heard any complaints out of her, she's 21 and is spoiled shamelessly! When my furnance went out one time it got about 40 in the house, when I cam home I found her in the bed under the covers!!

I think the kitty would be ok, as long as it wasn't for a prolonged time. Call your vet and see what they say. Hope that helps!
 Nordic33708
Msg: 3
Posted: 1/16/2008 1:56:00 PM
An old cat that might not move around so much need to be able to stay warm. Cat's like warmth and need it as well. It will not fare well if the indoor temperature is very low and it doesn't have a chance to warm up.
I don't know how you heat your house. If it's central heating or radiators. If it's central heating you can invest in a space heater and keep it in one of you rooms. Your cat will have the option to go into it if it gets to cold in the other areas of your house. Just make sure to follow the safety instructions. Your cat will soon learn where the hot spot is and go there if it feels so inclined.
If you have radiators, same answer applies. Just keep one warmer than the others.

The poster above me pointed out the cat was under the cover. That's an additional thought. Leave some nice cozy bedding out for it to crawl under if needed. Cat's love that.
 ladysailingbuff
Msg: 4
Posted: 1/16/2008 5:49:46 PM
I've left my cat at temps as low as sixty and she was happy curled up on a down comforter. They'll find bedding to make themselves warm if they need to. You can also invest in a heated bucket bed (Just google them and you'll find a number of companies that make them) that is electric and they will have a nice bed that's heated and keeps their arthritic bones warm. My mom got one for her aging shorthair and the cat could not be kept out of it, because it felt so good in the winter. My aunt's cats won't stay out of theirs, either. They just love the heated beds. My two cats get way overheated in them, so I just get mine regular buckets and let them heat them with their body heat. There's something to be said about letting the cat sleep in a bedding cave that's heated with their own body heat. If you're going to get a heated bed, be sure to get one that's built for cats. The heating pads from the medical supply section are great, but are WAY too warm for the kitties, even at their lowest setting. There are definitely cheaper ways to keep the cat warm than adjusting the entire house to a comfortable setting for the cat.
 yna6
Msg: 5
Posted: 1/16/2008 6:24:39 PM
60 F. Hey it is a cat...with a built in fur coat...it will find a warm spot.....barn cats always seem to keep warm even in the coldest weather...barn doesn't get below 60 much anyways. But...any cat will find a warm spot....a heating pad in a cat bed works ok...as long as it doens't chew cords or some such.
then again...350 degrees for 3 hours seems to put a nice golden brown on them.....
 Wunderkindt
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2008 6:37:57 PM
As has been pointed out, older cats seem to prefer having something warm to lay on versus haing an issue with the air temperature.

I knew an older cat that spent a lot of time sleeping on top of the fridge because of the heat coming off that appliance.
 nedly
Msg: 7
Posted: 1/16/2008 9:01:27 PM
Domestic Cats are the only mammals that live in every climate and country on earth without assistance.

The common domestic cat can live in the harshest desert and the very same cat can live and breed in Antarctica on it's own without problems. Cats are a major pest in Antarctica (left behind by whaling ships in the 19th century) and are hunted by wildlife experts because the massive numbers of them are causing serious problems with the penguin and other bird populations.

Cats do like warm cozy beds but they are a hardy lot. If you can stand the cold they can. Place their bed someplace where it is warmer and they will love you.

Mine like the fridge, the water heater top, and any furnace grate.

An electric heating pad well covered to prevent the cat from clawing it makes a nice warm bed. A low wattage heat lamp perhaps on a dimmer switch also works. I have outdoor cats which love the heated "cathouse" they live in. They literally share it with all the local wildlife!! Skunks, Raccoons and Possums!
 rsx11s
Msg: 8
Posted: 1/16/2008 9:47:20 PM
Hey it is a cat...with a built in fur coat...it will find a warm spot.....barn cats always seem to keep warm even in the coldest weather.

Indoor cats are good down to the high 40s(F) at least (ask me how I know). Outdoor cats are good down to -44C from what I've seen, and more I guess if they're at the antacric), but, they have to have been outdoors all the time so they can grow in their coat. Put an inside cat in those conditions and thry may not do so well.

A guy down the road has a siste or one of my cats and it's usually outdoors. Mine is indoors. They almost look like two different animals in the winter but look the same in summer.

An old cat that might not move around so much

Cats move? I took mine to the vet once and after blah blah blah he said "make sure he takes it easy". Takes is easy? TAKES IT EASY? We're talking about an animal that sleeps 23 1/2 hours a day. How much easier can he take it? Am I supposed to chew it's food for it and make it hot cocao?
 Next Time Round
Msg: 9
Posted: 1/16/2008 10:01:40 PM
They definitely like it very warm but I'm not sure if it's a requirement. Mine sleeps on my monitor, the television, the radiator or anything else that has heat coming from it. Old throw pillows, crocheted quilts, or just a cat basket are good too so they can curl up and keep warm using their own body heat.

Mine even gets on my case when she's decided it's bedtime (like right now) coz I make a great pillow. She always 'tells' me when it's bedtime IHO no matter what time of day it is.
 wpg_chick_84
Msg: 10
Posted: 1/16/2008 10:50:14 PM
We keep our house fairly cool, especially at night, and during the day when no one is home (I've recorded temperatures of about 12-15 C at night/during the day). I've noticed that my cats are more active when it is cooler, although this probably has more to do with comfort than the need to stay warm. As other posters have said, cats can survive in frigid temperatures. Your cat is getting up there in age though and you probably want to make her last few years as comfortable as possible, so some of the suggestions already given would be helpful. Place a nice cozy cat bed near somewhere warm (like the vent or something) or have a room with a space heater or even a heating pad or electric blanket and keep it on the lowest setting possible, checking it frequently. Play with your cat or place it on it's new heat source and pet it so it gets used to it and associates it with warmth and happiness. And make sure it's easily accesible now and in the future when your cat may experience a decrease in mobility (as in he/she may not be able to jump up onto things, or might not be able to jump up high, so some sort of stairs or placing the item on the floor may help).

Some cats are capable of fixing their warmth problems on their own. My cat loves to bury herself under blankets, so you often have to check before picking up a blanket if you don't know where she is because you might send her flying, or you have to make sure to not sit on the blanket, or check under it, before sitting down. Funny thing, she does this all year round, even in the summer when our house generally sits arounf 25-28 C (we try not to use the A/C very often also). However if you have an older cat who hasn't been doing this, he/she may not start.
 emdgp9
Msg: 11
Posted: 1/17/2008 2:59:57 PM
I keep my house about 62 F when I'm not home. So far, I haven't heard any complaints from the kitty. If it does get cold in there, she has a blankie to curl up on, as well as my recliner (where she usually is).
 The_garbageguy
Msg: 12
Posted: 1/17/2008 3:37:19 PM
I think I'll go look for a heated cat bed for the little guy.
 junipermoon
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2008 3:41:25 PM
make sure the house is draft-free and he should do ok. if he can lie in the afternoon sun, that will help as well.

one thing i do when it gets cold is to leave the oven door opened after i'm finished baking.

your kitty probably spends most of his time sleeping, so he'll conserve energy and regulate his temperature. make sure he has plenty of high-quality food and water.

he actually will have more problems in extreme heat, like when the temperature goes into the 90s. that's when cats have serious problems if they can't get to water.

i love those little kitty sweaters people can get for them, but i'm sure the cats don't feel the same way.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > What's a good temperature in my house for my cat?