Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Is "chick" or "broad" offensive?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 rara_avis77
Msg: 1
Is "chick" or "broad" offensive?Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Ladies, do you find the terms chick or broad offensive and if so why? I've come across a few women who have said they do but I've even heard plenty of women refer to themselves as chicks. Anyways, are these terms really so offensive? I mean, there are things a lot more derogatory than that a woman can be called.
 Mafiachixrule
Msg: 2
Is chick or broad offensive?
Posted: 1/23/2008 6:49:43 PM
Chick doesn't phase me.
Broad screams lack of intelligence, IMO.
 Blitzarina
Msg: 3
Posted: 1/23/2008 6:52:20 PM
It depends on the context.

Chick is fine, as long as it isn't used in a condescending manner. I think of it as being on par with "guy" these days.

Broad just sounds hilarious - like it's been extracted from some 40s film noir.
 MotherOfEight
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 1/23/2008 6:54:19 PM
Yeah, sure there are worse names for us, but that doesn't mean that you calling us those things is justified..

I, personally, don't mind those names however I can see how some of those names could be considered offensive. They are for the most part used negatively. And the very fact that you even have to ask if these are okay answers your question. I mean, if they were 100% or even 90% well received, you wouldn't be askin'.

I say: save the names for people you know aren't offended by them... Don't go around calling every woman a broad.
 forum_reader
Msg: 5
Posted: 1/23/2008 7:00:39 PM
I use chick all the time.

Broad seems outdated...
 orchick
Msg: 6
Posted: 1/23/2008 7:04:15 PM
I think it's more the context than the term....who is saying it and why...and whether it's said with a playful smile or an insulting sneer.
 Blueskies123
Msg: 7
Posted: 1/23/2008 7:07:50 PM
In England mostly northerners use chick..female to female.
Men say bird or totty
Women say hun, girl

If a guy calls me a bird, chick, broad...god..years ago from american films....I would ignore a guy who called me any of those.
UNLESS..he is a mate (UK meaning very good friend) and he is taking the mick!

Actually 'chick'is outdated years bak in the UK.
 Herding Cats
Msg: 8
Posted: 1/23/2008 7:10:13 PM
Chick is fine for most of the women I know. But if you're calling one of us a "broad" you'd better be smiling. It's a completely Neanderthal thing to say to a woman unless you're joking and know her VERY well.

In my experience, "broad" is usually paired with "stupid" or "dumb" and is definitely derogatory, whereas "chick" doesn't carry those negative connotations.

Girl to girl these days in my circles it's usually "Hey, woman" or "Hey, Lady".

I call my friends "wench" though. (Hey, Wench) or for really young ones like my daughter "Wenchlett".

They know I luv 'em. But I would never call them broads.
 Seavoyage
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 1/23/2008 7:25:03 PM
The word chick is used all the time. I think some of the women have a problem of the time, but most don't. Even if they do, guys use between themselves.... As far as broad, that's something you're more likley to hear in New Jersey, New York, Connecticut rather than in other parts. It sounds like a working class, neighbourhood type of word someone might use for a girl. That's my take on it... I think it's an "interesting" term, but it sounds a bit dated... I wonder what's behind that word in terms of its origin...
 Herding Cats
Msg: 10
Posted: 1/23/2008 7:36:21 PM
I wonder what's behind that word in terms of its origin...

It's been around a very long time and used to be used to describe prostitutes. I am not sure but I think that the actual term came from the name of a British coin called a broad.
 El_Mariachi
Msg: 11
Posted: 1/23/2008 8:03:37 PM
Broad.. sometimes. Chick.. no.

It sort of depends who's saying "broad" and the tone.
 acuteblueeyes
Msg: 12
Posted: 1/23/2008 8:16:38 PM
NO...I don't find it offensive....But... I'm alot older now and realize that it's just a dated term......I can also take a joke .....as long as you can take one back....
 Next Time Round
Msg: 13
Posted: 1/23/2008 8:21:40 PM
Broad seems outdated...
&
I think it's more the context than the term....who is saying it and why...and whether it's said with a playful smile or an insulting sneer.
&
broad screams lack of intelligence

It is outdated IMO too, but I still use it sometimes because (showing my age here) I was around when it was in use more. But I agree that it also depends on the context. One lady I know of (speaking of outdated terminology LOL), used it often to describe herself when she was dressed really hot. "Not bad for an old broad, eh?" was her signature saying.

And I sometimes use it myself in place of 'b!tch' as in "stupid broad." However I may indeed be screaming lack of intelligence about myself by doing so (or at least a lack of vocabulary at my ready disposal). I have no problem with chic, chick, or chix. It's that other 'c' word that sends chills running up and down my spine no matter which sex uses it.
 whenyer_strange
Msg: 14
Posted: 1/23/2008 8:29:21 PM
"chick" doesn't phase me. I've never heard an **intelligent** man use the word broad, so maybe that has some bearing on why I don't like that term. Why I don't like it is that I get a greater sense of a guy suggesting the woman has no brain than I do with any other word. Though really, there just seems to be a lot of derogatory terms for women and not that many for men, and any I hear towards men are used in praise (hunk?). I'm talking terms that "specifically" mean men. Well, now that I think of it, hunk sounds pretty brainless too. Do guys use "broad" when they think the woman is attractive???

Chick just seems benign to me....it seems neither good nor bad.

And either way, in a friendly joking manner almost anything can pass depending on the person.....sorta like using "yo mama so fat...." jokes on a friend.
 pet_tech
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 1/23/2008 8:32:18 PM
Chick = small little cute fuzzy animal

Broad = BIG FAT HUGE ASS BEEP BEEP WIDE LOAD
 GeneralizingNow
Msg: 16
Posted: 1/23/2008 8:37:27 PM
Chick implies young hip thing--call me THAT all you want.

Broad implies a 40s-something spunky fully adult woman from the wrong side of the tracks, perhaps with a hard edge but a definite heart of gold. I'm too well-bred to be called THAT, but it CAN be a compliment.

Or either can be used in jest without too much fallout.
 Bellydanza
Msg: 17
Posted: 1/23/2008 9:25:53 PM
Personally I don't like either one. I'd rather be called by my name. Or a woman, lady.
I loathe when someone calls me ''girl''....i'm 42 too old to be called ''girl''
 eeyoremasque
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 1/23/2008 9:30:38 PM
I honestly have never been called a chick or a broad... but I was called 'babe' by a friend of mine for the five years I knew him... after his girl made him go see Mel Gibson's What Women Want movie he was trying to make appologies to me about it... needless to say, being called 'babe' by him never bothered me... but I guess each girl would have their own ideas...

now 'honey thighs' or 'sugar lips'... those may irk me from someone I dont know well...
 Briannazg2
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 1/23/2008 9:38:34 PM
i agree with msg #12
if people know your sense of personality or humor..... it's all in good fun...
they won't find it 'loathing'.......if I said that to them because they know me...
I shoot from the mouth first and sometimes the brains aren't engaged......

But then I roll with pretty biaches lol so chick or broad ain't nothing but a noun who can take it AND dish it out

lol
 Next Time Round
Msg: 20
Posted: 1/23/2008 9:51:21 PM
Do guys use "broad" when they think the woman is attractive???

They used to but it was in the context of "check out the tits on that broad"...had nothing to do with which side of the tracks she came from...but it is a dated term. Frank Sinatra and the Rat Pack. Old ganster or black & white detective movies that have just become a cliche. As for 'girl' you can call me that any day. I knew my prime was over when they started calling me 'Mamn' at the liquor store (used to ask for ID).
 Bethlett
Msg: 21
Posted: 1/23/2008 9:54:12 PM
Anything you say is offensive.
 rune3
Msg: 22
Posted: 1/23/2008 10:22:36 PM
Both are offensive, in my opinion. But the tone is relevant too: "ladies" can also be offensive, as can "girls", as can even the most correct and safe term, "women", if the words are spoken by a sexist pig-dog. The politically correct term to use is "women", so using this shows the most respect to the most people, if you are interested in respect, although often more neutral terms can be used and I think these should be preferred e.g. "the shop assistant" rather than "the woman behind the counter" or "the history teacher" rather than "the young lady who teaches history"... but this really only applies when the speaker is a sexist jerk and men who regard women with genuine respect as being humans, just like they are, rarely offend with their choice of words.
 smd83
Msg: 23
Posted: 1/23/2008 10:31:53 PM
Chick, broad, sounds impersonal, non-significant..

Woman, lady, etc... a bit more pleasent...

:) or :(

Want me to call you Dude, Boi, Hommie, etc?? or a man, gentleman.. hmmm..
 SAIUN
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 1/23/2008 10:33:27 PM
I've found that it really differs from person to person. I've known some girls who are offended by being called a "chick", but then I've known others who have preferred being called a "chick" as opposed to a "girl".
 POFEnigma
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 1/23/2008 11:41:17 PM
How about, "Broad chick"?
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Is "chick" or "broad" offensive?