Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > PoF update won't accept my email address      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 KittycatJosie
Msg: 1
view profile
History
PoF update won't accept my email addressPage 1 of 1    
I'm a new user, and was trying to update my settings. I entered, among other things, my e-mail address, and when I hit the submit button, I got a rather abrupt pop-up which read, "Enter a REAL email address!"

My email address *was* real. I entered a gmail address, with the standard name+pof format used by millions to keep track of where their spam is coming from. I used that email when I registered, and have already received several emails addressed in just that way.

There appears to be a glitch somewhere. Maybe it's an out-of-date filter, which doesn't recognize any emails containing the "+" symbol, but it seems bizarre that one part of the site would accept it and another wouldn't. Do you have a filter somewhere that just needs to be updated?

My apologies if this has been covered before; I did try to check using the search page, as well as skimming recent post titles.

Thank you!
-KittycatJosie
 Ticketoride
Msg: 2
PoF update won't accept my email address
Posted: 2/12/2008 7:43:29 PM
I entered, among other things, my e-mail address, and when I hit the submit button, I got a rather abrupt pop-up which read, "Enter a REAL email address!"

That is generally an Error in your submitted E-Mail Address.

My email address *was* real. I entered a gmail address, with the standard name+pof format used by millions to keep track of where their spam is coming from.

What is "+pof format"?

If you are entering YourUserName@plentyoffish.com, well that's not a Real Online E-Mail Addy.
Related Links:Registration: Sign-up Problems/Account Deletions

Perhaps you are submitting the same GMAIL User Name that you already use for Plentyoffish:

Related Links:

E-Mail: How do Spammers harvest E-Mail Addresses
E-Mail: Offline Scammers refer to Plentyoffish.com
E-Mail: User Name too close to E-Mail Address
 KittycatJosie
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 2/12/2008 8:15:12 PM
Sorry, it's a very common technique for sorting emails and identifying where spam is coming from. If my basic gmail address is address (at) gmail.com, then when I give it to a new site, I add a tag identifying the site. For example, at PlentyOfFish, I would submit the email address as address+pof (at) gmail.com, or on eHarmony I would submit address+eH (at) gmail.com. That way, if I start getting spam addressed to address+eH (at) gmail.com, then I know that's who's either been selling my info or not protecting it well enough. It also means that I can create an automatic filter, so that anything addressed to address+pof (at) gmail.com will be sent straight to a PoF folder. It helps keep the masses of mail organized. And if I start getting lots of spam addressed to +pof, I have the option of throwing up my hands in disgust and just blocking everything addressed that way.

That's why I suspect it's an older filter somewhere that's causing the problem, because most modern filters accept such addresses. The main exceptions are places that *want* to be able to sell your email address, and I'm pretty sure that's not the case here.

Thank you!
 Ticketoride
Msg: 4
Posted: 2/12/2008 8:31:18 PM
For example, at PlentyOfFish, I would submit the email address as address+pof (at) gmail.com, or on eHarmony I would submit address+eH (at) gmail.com.

Seems to me when using (+) instead of the more common "Underscore" is asking for Trouble.

Is "address+pof (at) gmail.com" an actual E-Mail Address, ie. without having to edit the Recipient Header Field, will the E-Mail arrive at the Address submitted as such?

If I used my regular ISP's POP3/SMTP Mail Server, and sent an e-mail to (without E-Addy Edits) "address+pof (at) gmail.com", will you receive the E-Mail?

I know the Admin has ZERO Tolerance for any Fake Profiles screwing around with E-Mail Addies. Anything out of the ordinary is usually instantly blocked.
 KittycatJosie
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 2/12/2008 9:01:00 PM

If I used my regular ISP's POP3/SMTP Mail Server, and sent an e-mail to (without E-Addy Edits) "address+pof (at) gmail.com", will you receive the E-Mail?

Absolutely! It works exactly like any other email address. It's a very useful tool, and most people I know, once they find out about it, they start using it all the time too.
 eeek
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2008 2:40:09 PM

Seems to me when using (+) instead of the more common "Underscore" is asking for Trouble.

According to RFC 2822, the local-part of the address may use any of these ASCII characters:

Uppercase and lowercase letters
The digits 0 through 9
The characters ! # $ % * / ? | ^ { } ` ~ & ' + - = _
The character . provided that it is not the first nor last character in the local-part, nor may it appear two or more times consecutively.

s "address+pof (at) gmail.com" an actual E-Mail Address, ie. without having to edit the Recipient Header Field, will the E-Mail arrive at the Address submitted as such?

Yes, it is. Any address at gmail (and many other sites/domains) can have +something added to the local part to be used for sorting purposes. It's a useful feature that has been around for over a decade at least.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 7
Posted: 2/13/2008 6:20:52 PM
According to RFC 2822, the local-part of the address may use any of these ASCII characters:

Whatever Restrictions the Admin has coded in may, or may not have anything to do with RFC 2822, which would be kinda painfully obvious if her submitted E-Addy was refused when in Fact it was a valid E-Mail Addy. We already know the Admin has Custom-coded Things. This is not a POP3/IMAP/LDAP E-Mail System.

Yes, it is. Any address at gmail (and many other sites/domains) can have +something added to the local part to be used for sorting purposes.

What GMAIL or any other Sites or Domains can have was never under Question. What the User submitted might be.
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > PoF update won't accept my email address