Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Broken Hearts  > My dog is dying      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 sunrisen
Msg: 1
My dog is dyingPage 1 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)
I was wondering if anyone has ever lost a pet... moreso if they ever had to put down a pet by that I mean euthanize them... I have to do that to my dog who I love to bits... but i feel like i'm killing her but relieving her... I just wish I knew what to do- I guess I'm just reaching out for others that have gone through what I am going through...

Thanks- Sunrisen
 HoogooseDMoose
Msg: 2
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/19/2008 6:51:03 PM
I lost my cat mitt mitts at the age of 20... i knew it was a one way trip to the vets... i know i did the right thing... i decided to bury him in the yard since they wanted too much to cremate him. I lost it when i got the box in my car and bawled the whole way home. its amazing how attached you can get to animals.... your doing the right thing.

http://www.fourpawsinheaven.com/poetry/p-rainbow.html
 cva14
Msg: 3
view profile
History
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/19/2008 6:55:39 PM
I lost one after 18years and it was hard, I found her dead, and I admit I cried a lot that day And I was talked into getting another one pretty quick, and that was a huge mistake.
Don't have one now only because I am not sure I want the responsibilty for another one yet,
also am in an apt, Having one put down will be hard, dont know your reasons, illness or
physical problems. just don't know what to tell you. They can be the best friend you will ever have thats for sure.

chris
 Caseysdream
Msg: 4
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/19/2008 6:57:21 PM
My heart goes out to you my friend
 sopranocat
Msg: 5
view profile
History
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/19/2008 6:58:17 PM
I have no advice, but just wanted to tell you how sorry I am for you right now. This is a hard decision to make. Thankfully I haven't made it for my own pets yet, but I've been told that I will know what to do when the time is right. Our pets rely on our judgement in so many matters. This is the hardest but most important of all of them. Good Luck.
 Malley
Msg: 6
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/19/2008 7:00:02 PM
Yes, I have.
It was bar none, the hardest thing I have ever had to do.
My only mistake, in hindsight, was waiting too long because I was not ready to let go.
You may want to consider having a vet come to your home to do it. Some will, and it is nice for your pet to be in familiar surroundings.
When the time came, I lay on the floor and cuddled her. It is very quick and very peaceful.
Depending on the size of your dog, it may give you comfort to bury her some place where you can visit.
Another option, of course, is cremation.
Perhaps you may want someone else to accompany you. It is good to have support at a time like this.
Many will say it is only an animal, but to you they are family. Expect to grieve for her as you would for the loss of human.

Try to remember, it is her best interest you have at heart, otherwise you would not be considering this.

I wish you the best with this unavoidable reality.
 osculator
Msg: 7
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/19/2008 7:00:18 PM
It's happened to me three times, the last one last June. All three times involved euthanasia. It's a terrible thing to go through, but if your dog is in pain and the end is inevitable, do it and consider it an act of love, which it is. Then cry, grieve, and remember. Good luck.
 sunigal
Msg: 8
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/19/2008 7:00:19 PM
I am so sorry for you. Ihad to put my Mother's dog to sleep just a few months after Mom passed away. It was really hard. So my sympathies to you
 URCOWBOYFANTASY
Msg: 9
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/19/2008 7:00:52 PM
A few years back I raised two Rottweilers from puppies and honestly felt like they were part of my family. I raised them and loved them as much as a person can care for another life. One day I came home and noticed my male laying beside the gate and I walked over to him. He was breathing hard and every time he tried to stand up he would pass out. I rushed him to the emergency vet where they did tests and examined him. I stood with him the whole time letting him know I was there with him. He was scared and every time he stood up and passed out it ripped my heart to pieces. The vet came in and told me he had a tumor on his liver that was inoperable and was causing the problem. My only choice was to keep him sedated until he succumbed or to put him down. It was the hardest thing I ever did in my life. I was heartbroken and tears streamed down my face as I told the vet to let him go to sleep peacefully. I said my goodbyes to him and was there at his side when he died. But I know he felt better having me there with him in the end and Im glad I was there. But I knew it was much better for him to die peacefully than to continue to suffer. Just be there with them as much as you can before you say goodbye.
 Refreshed5
Msg: 10
view profile
History
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/19/2008 7:03:16 PM
I had my chow put down in october, Over 13, Was best for him, Not geting into details, was just the right thing to do.

Don't feel as if your doing something wrong, No need for them to suffer.
 fishingfoundme
Msg: 11
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/19/2008 7:04:31 PM
I am so sorry to hear... its so very very hard when you have to have your companion animal put down. I had to do it and it was by far the hardest thing I have ever done in my life. The vet assured me I was doing the right thing, she was suffering, but I was totally unprepared to let her go. They were very compasionate at the vets office and gave me all the time I needed both before the injection and after. But I totally lost it.. I cried and cried in the parking lot and even though its been 2 years [1/13/06] I still cry at times just because I just miss her so much. I did have her creamated just to keep her close to me.
It is a very hard decision to make. You'll second guess yourself after the fact, but just remember you're doing it for her, not you. Its difficult, but it has to be your last act of love.
You're in my prayers during this difficult time.
 mogrl42
Msg: 12
view profile
History
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/19/2008 7:10:02 PM
i don`t know what to tell you but i know how you must be feeling.I have two cats and just the thought of losing them makes me sick
 Sunnydays68
Msg: 13
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/19/2008 7:10:48 PM
I'm sorry Sunrisen, it's a terribly difficult thing to have to do. When I had to do it with each of my cats (one 14.5, one 20, and one 17.5) all within the past 6 years it helped me a lot to look at it this way:

An animal's instinct is to mask their pain or suffering; that improves their chance of survival in the wild when they're weak or sick. By the time you see signs of suffering, they may have been in pain for some time already. Most likely you've enjoyed years of unquestioning love and devotion from your pet, and the last loving thing you can offer her is deliverance from pain, and a death with dignity. It really is an act of love in the end. You have my sympathy.

SunnyD
 pontiacmech
Msg: 14
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/19/2008 7:16:46 PM
trust me my dear ,

your doing the right thing , i had to put down my dog a few years ago it turned out she had cnacer and it had spread up and down her spine and was making it hard for her to walk and get around and i knew after the look i got from the vet that it wasnt goodnews news she then told me that she would never get better , so it is the right thing to do.

i know how you feel. i really do .
 Curlygirl27
Msg: 15
view profile
History
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/19/2008 7:19:36 PM
I work in a vet office and euthanasia is part of the territory. I don't know what is going on with your dog but here's how i feel about euthanasia: It is a hard decision... but if you really love your pet you will not let them suffer. You will give them a dignified, painless death... ideally with you there stroking them and telling them you love them. To me this is the humane thing to do towards the end of a terminal condition (ie when there is nothing you can do about their suffering and quality of life).

It is hard, i know. I lost a cat of my own about this time last year to an immune-mediated disease... I still miss her but she was really sick and suffering and i know i did the right thing. She is still with me in my heart.

Sometimes it makes it easier if you lavish love on them for a couple days beforehand... give them whatever they want... bacon, taco bell, your favourite socks.. whatever they have always wanted....

Some people prefer to let their pets die naturally. Only you will know when the right time comes. Either way, i am so very sorry.

@:)
 cobaltblu
Msg: 16
view profile
History
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/19/2008 7:21:22 PM
I am very sorry to hear that you are going through this very difficult time. I have had to make that decision before myself-and its never easy. If she is not well-then you must remind yourself that you really are doing the kindest thing for her. It is always hard to say goodbye-but often that is what has to be done. It will always be better to look back upon the good times, to remember her healthy-and know that you let her pass on to a better place before she suffered. Pets are the greatest joy-they are so loyal and loving. But it is so very heartbreaking when they die. I send you my condolences and well wishes.

For anyone that has lost a pet-or may be dealing with a sick pet-it can be good to call your vet and ask for advice. Also the Ontario Veterinary College has a support hotline: http://www.ovc.uoguelph.ca/petloss/
 puddles1971
Msg: 17
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/19/2008 7:22:20 PM
Hey there, my heart goes out to you, I will have to deal with that one day too. I have a lab/staffi female aged 10, she is the love of my life and best friend. I spoil her rotten, she even sleeps on my bed!! I had to make that choice in the past with a familgy dog who i had grown up with for 13 years, broke my heart but had to be done as he was in pain. If the vet suggests its the best thing and your dog may be in discomffort or pain best to call the shot. For what ever reson think of your dog as your his/her voice, wont want to suffer. So good luck sweetheart and if you go ahead with it just remember you are doing a favour and remember the good times and when your dog was happy and well. Sharon
 deep-sky
Msg: 18
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/19/2008 7:32:34 PM
I have been in your shoes. It's the hardest thing I ever had to do, but towards the end, she was in so much pain that I felt it was the only thing to do, to let her go.

There is a beautiful poem called Rainbow Bridge about pet loss. It's at a website that may be of some help to you to get you through this. www.petloss.com They will even let you leave a tribute page for your pet.

I'm sorry for you. I feel your pain.

ktlnow
Msg: 19
view profile
History
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/19/2008 7:33:01 PM
2 yrs ago I had to call the vet in the middle of the night. My friend of 16 yrs had always had seizures but I was able to control them for the most part. They were usually short when they did occur. Surgically they couldnt' do much for him because of a whole in his heart. He took 2 seizures this night each lasting what seemed an eternity. I am not 100% sure if he was taking seizures when I was at work but...I knew I could no longer take that chance. They really terrified him.
I miss him terribly now but I know I made the right choice. It is definitly the toughest decision I have ever had to make.
I have to tell you also he was probably the ugliest little mutt you would ever see but he taught me a great deal about what really mattered. He had heart and did some pretty funny tricks.
I cried lots that night and for a couple nights after. When I picked up his remains at the vets I cried again. Now he sits on the mantle and from time to time I remember his legacy to me.
 someoneseeker
Msg: 20
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/19/2008 7:34:01 PM
I'm so sorry you have to go through this...but try to focus on the years of unconditional love your dog provided you...I've experienced this quite a few times as I have had many animals....I'm sure its a better way then to let them suffer....Pets can be just as close if not closer than our own family and friends....this is the most loving gesture you can give them....cut short their suffering and let them go and know you have done a good thing and they know this.....be loving until the end and this is what they will feel till the end....a far beter thing than to feel pain and discomfort. I know its difficult...be strong...animals can sense your being unhappy....let it remember you with good thoughts....I know from experience...and can only wish you well.
 JavaJuiceJunkie
Msg: 21
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/19/2008 7:34:08 PM
I had to put down my dog after 14 years and my cat after 10 years. Both animals had to go down within a month of each other. My dog was very very sick and I, like you, struggled with the decision. You will know when it is right. I came home one day, took a look at how much he was suffering, took him straight to the vet and had him put down. It was the best thing I did for him and I knew it at that moment. Ask me the day before that and I would have not been able to do it. My cat was the same way, she got very sick with a heart condition. You will know yourself when the day is right. There will be no decision to make on your part, you will go into auto pilot and do it because someone else will be guiding you.
 dreadstalker
Msg: 22
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/19/2008 7:34:59 PM
I lost my lab , lady , after 16 years. She was my shadow from 6 weeks till the day she died. There just isn't anything good about it.
However as a responsible friend and owner it is something that you have to do when the quality of life is overcome by a lifetime of pain.

My lab has a headstone that says.

If sorrow was a highway and tears a bridge ,
I'd walk right up to heaven , and bring you home again
 Adam 4 Coffee
Msg: 23
view profile
History
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/19/2008 7:37:45 PM
My cat Babylve died at an afge of 22 when I was 12 years old. She was a member of the family. Its a cvery difficult thing to lose a pet that you have ahd for a long time. My parents were so heart broken and could not stand to see my my brother and sister cry so much that they decided not to get another cat.
 glenmorangie_18
Msg: 24
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/19/2008 7:37:58 PM
If you think you should euthanize your dog, but are putting off the decision, it is probably time. I know that I hung on for too long with my last dog, and that thought haunts me from time to time. When the decision was made she was nearly 20, and she was a medium sized dog (chow-german shepherd cross). I'd had her since she was a pup, and her last 6 months were rough for both of us. This was 12 years ago - her picture is still in my kitchen.

I believe that I will be able to make a better decision about this the next time it happens with my animals, which it surely will.

A.
 sugarmagnolia507
Msg: 25
view profile
History
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/19/2008 7:38:14 PM
I am so sorry that you have to make this decision. I think that any person worth his salt would have a hard time with something like this. Please remember what SunnyDay said about them giving you love and putting your beloved child out of their pain is your way of giving back some of that love. My heart goes out to you.
Show ALL Forums  > Broken Hearts  > My dog is dying