Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > can lust last a long time ?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 lovehunny22
Msg: 1
can lust last a long time ?Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
i hear all this talk about lust ..thats just a physical attraction. a desire to have and be with someone and as soon as u satisfied that "need" lust goes away or turns in to love
how long can lust really last ?
can u still be in "lust" with someone after years and years of being with that person or is that love ?
i never made a diff between lust and love coz i cant have one with out the another
but many ppl can ...so how do u kno for sure if the lust developed after years into love ..or its still lust
is lust supposed to come and go ? or it can last for 2 or 3 years or more
can a relationship be based only on lust ?
 rejectingall
Msg: 2
view profile
History
can lust last a long time ?
Posted: 2/19/2008 9:35:24 PM
Sometimes lust matures into real love...

Sometimes it burns out in a matter of minutes.
 nickphilosoph
Msg: 3
Posted: 2/19/2008 9:46:24 PM
There is lust, there is love and there is Eros.
A rel IMO lasts as long as Eros lasts, not mere lust.
Eros IME lasts weeks, months sometimes a few years, there is no "rule" per se. But it is equal or longer than mere lust and less long than love. Love does not lovers make, Eros/being in love does. Love makes "partners", but then love is platonic, IMO.

2 cents
 Adam 4 Coffee
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 2/19/2008 9:53:01 PM
Lusting for someone can last forever. Because to want someone so badly even after ebign with them over and over again for long periods of time means you love them eotherwsie you would be dating multiple people or would leave the relationship as soon as you found someoen you wanted to spend the rest of yourt life with. Lust plansts the seeds for love and you have to nurture them for it to bloom into soemthing more. so get down and dirty and see what happens! PBJ With a baseball bat!
 SunsetPoint1
Msg: 5
Posted: 2/19/2008 9:55:58 PM
First of all...this is about devotion...and yes, lust. It can last forever IF:

If you are a married couple with kids, hire a babysitter, housekeeper, etc.
Men: Give her $$$ to shop at Victoria's Secret, get a trainer, etc.---we need that stuff
Giver her flowers
In other words, don't let her manage two jobs--her career and then home life--by herself
Foreplay begins with words, dinner, etc....want to be sexy? Bathe the kids and put them to bed, five nights a week...her libido will definitely pick up!
 NY2Chi
Msg: 6
Posted: 2/19/2008 9:58:15 PM
I don't think lust lasts forever, but it sure pops in every now & then to say "Hi!"

You ever seen your SO do something completely mundane, like bend over to pick up a sock, and she's wearing something completely normal like PJs or sweatpants, and the suddenly you've got an urge to slide up behind her and...well you know. That's lust and the day it runs its course in your relationship is pretty much your relationship is toast.
 nickphilosoph
Msg: 7
Posted: 2/19/2008 10:02:23 PM
Devotion to honesty means that when Eros is gone, a couple should stop pretending it is still there. They should either break up or stay together as "platonic" partners/friends/house-mates. Devotion has nothing to do with lust, eros or even love or rels of that kind. We owe devotion to our kids, our parents our country. Not to our SO. What we owe our SO is ....devotion and commitment to honesty. No pretending that lust and Eros are still there when they are NOT!

2 cents
 piscescoda
Msg: 8
Posted: 2/19/2008 10:07:37 PM
I can lust after someone without loving them, and I can still lust them after I begin to love them.
 jon_at_pof
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 2/19/2008 10:10:50 PM

About 15 minutes. But I'm always up for seconds.
 DoUCanoe
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 2/19/2008 10:27:24 PM

About 15 minutes. But I'm always up for seconds.

I know why your single.

To me true 'lust' come with love. The desire to be totally joined with my SO is more than physical attraction it is an expression of my love. Can it last? Absolutely. My desire for my wife was as intense after twenty years as it was at the beginning of our relationship.
 aPamela
Msg: 11
Posted: 2/19/2008 10:28:03 PM
I hope so!!!!!!!!!!!!
 MrVitamix
Msg: 12
Posted: 2/20/2008 2:36:58 AM
There were research studies done on this and they say after about 7 years the body can no longer take the surge in hormones and starts to burn itself out...............
I was astounded studies were done on this.... and the findings.......... and think I'll stick with short term flings ( for the high feelings) and for long term romance I'll stick with love as an action...
You will find that people are either : love is a feeling or love is an action. From my findings and personal experience through life... people who marry based on love is a feeling are often soon divorced and have very poor marriages.
I'll go with love is ACTIONS and leave the LUST to those far less experienced in life who have nothing to lose
 galonthemt
Msg: 13
Posted: 2/20/2008 4:20:34 AM
lust.......any intense desire or craving

dervied from high german--- a word for desire

I'm so glad I have German heritage, and had a husband that lusted after me for 37 yrs.
Taken from the religious context it means sin......too bad
So you can take it in any context you "desire" I choose the High German meaning
 justcallmec
Msg: 14
Posted: 2/20/2008 4:22:14 AM
Like anything else... Lasts as long as you want it to.
 nickphilosoph
Msg: 15
Posted: 2/20/2008 4:30:28 AM
Angst is German as well, and lasts longer than lust!
 Macgyveratheart
Msg: 16
Posted: 2/20/2008 4:36:40 AM
I associate lust relationships primarily with one night stands. People you meet and can't keep your hands off each other. A few have lasted for several months but they have always burned out. You usually know it's time to end when you're staring at each other and have nothing to talk about. Maybe it's more of a youthful venture because as i've aged i've certainly looked for different things in a partner. This doesn't mean you don't still have the desire to be all over each other, it's just not the driving force.
 WORD1948
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2008 5:04:38 AM
Lust is desire and I have never stopped desiring a couple of women who were and to a certain extent, still are, loves of my life.

Lust and love are two independent feelings. Lust is usually, but not necessarily, transient. Love is, or should be, more permanent.
 JulietJuliet
Msg: 18
Posted: 2/20/2008 5:45:01 AM
Lust and Love? Let me put it this way. IF you were lusting over a person would you still be there for them if they say had a car accident and could no longer walk? Would you put your own life aside to care for that person? If you answer 'yes' then it's love, if you answer 'no' then it was merely lust.
By the way, you can love a person and lust for them at the same time.....it doesn't curdle!
 galonthemt
Msg: 19
Posted: 2/20/2008 5:59:24 AM
msg 15
angst......a feeling of anxiety, apprehension, or insecurity....and this has what to do with lust?
 nickphilosoph
Msg: 20
Posted: 2/20/2008 6:07:33 AM
Re posts 19 and 13 as they pertain to the OPost/topic and duration/durability of lust:

Lust and Angst?
They a) both have German origins and b) they are often connected (see Max Webber's theories, etc, Sigmund Freued's, etc, etc, etc). Lust leads to Angst and Angst to Lust and then to therapy, etc! Therapy that lasts much longer than ... lust! Because in certain circles "desire" or "pleasure" are "four letter words" (lust actually has 4 letters)!

Lust as a basis for LTR (see Opost, eg "...so how do u kno for sure if the lust developed after years into love .."):
Many LTRs are based on angst, rather than love, which is founded on previous lust and its psychological "results"/side-effects (see "Puritanism", etc)! Angst is also IMO tied to the concept of commitment that is so highly sought after as a "cornerstone" in rels in modern (but still dominated by post-protestant concepts) USA. Disguised as "love".
 TexRaceMan
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2008 10:08:14 AM

Men: Give her $$$ to shop at Victoria's Secret, get a trainer, etc.---we need that stuff
Giver her flowers
In other words, don't let her manage two jobs--her career and then home life--by herself
Foreplay begins with words, dinner, etc....want to be sexy? Bathe the kids and put them to bed, five nights a week...her libido will definitely pick up!

Women: Give him steaks and Kentucky whiskey. Consider surprising him with a refrigerated beer keg system. And don't go letting yourself go, jog a mile or three a day. Very important to keep the thighmaster in action. Try to plan "you time" outings with the kids when football is on. Foreplay begins and ends with "drop 'em"......Just do this and you'll have him wrapped around your finger in no time. He'll remain true blue, probably even go to bragging on you. You'll be one lucky lady

(Sry, jk)
 TheS0urce
Msg: 22
Posted: 2/20/2008 10:28:26 AM
I don't believe lust is love, lust can't turn into love but the lust can fade away and turn into love. I think many people confuse lust for love. True love is unconditional with little self interest. You want to see love look at a child's love, pure in heart, without conditions and nonjudgemental.
 nogo3
Msg: 23
Posted: 2/20/2008 10:39:16 AM
I think that lust can last as long as the love lasts. in a relationship don't they go hand in hand.

custis
Msg: 24
Posted: 2/20/2008 10:41:12 AM
I'm not sure how long lust can last, but let me score a date with Sunsetpoint1 and I'll get back to you later on it.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2008 11:00:16 AM
Been in lust twice in my life. First time, it lasted 20 years. Second, about 25. Married one of them. Rotten relationships, lol! In fact, the second of them still makes my knees weak if he walks into a room. But my heart, my head, and my soul absolutely know the difference, and lust does not a happy lady make.

Love on the other hand. . . . Love includes something that feels and acts like lust, but also many many other very important things: trust, honor, fun, kindness, generosity. . . . in short, JOY. There is no joy in lust.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > can lust last a long time ?