Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Manitoba  > Best bar in Winnipeg for singles      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 The Ace in the Hole
Msg: 1
Best bar in Winnipeg for singlesPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Just wondering where everyone who goes out to the bars or lounges in this fine city enjoy going the best as singles. I'm not talking about where is the easiest place to pick up men or women. I'm talking about the experience as a whole, and I suppose that could be factored in there if that's what you are after. My personal favourite has been the Pal for sometime. Many a good time has been had at that "fine" establishment!
 ~Emerald~
Msg: 2
Best bar in Winnipeg for singles
Posted: 2/29/2008 6:21:47 PM
Aquarius, Adonis, the Wood...
 Black Magic Woman
Msg: 3
Posted: 2/29/2008 7:01:02 PM
Ok......making a list

The Pal
Aquarius
Adonis
The Wood

Is there any particular order that these establishments should be visited! ..because I want to get it right the first time! What if I go to Adonis then the Pal and to the Wood? Would anyone think me strange?

The Ace in the Hole
Msg: 4
Posted: 2/29/2008 8:19:22 PM
I've never even heard of Aquarius or The Wood! I need to get out a little more apparently. ;-) Are these three gay bars by chance? I thought Adonis was.
 Deviant_1
Msg: 5
Posted: 2/29/2008 8:22:40 PM

I've never even heard of Aquarius or The Wood!

Consider yourself blessed.
 twoshadows
Msg: 6
Posted: 3/1/2008 5:40:01 AM
Aquarius and Adonis are men's bathhouses,not bars. They do have co-ed nites so if you do go be careful which nites. And unless you want to be stuck wandering the halls with all the other single men,it's best to go with a lady friend who looks good in just a towel.
 A Purrrfect Pisces
Msg: 7
Posted: 3/1/2008 1:16:42 PM
"Best bar in Winnipeg for Singles" ?????

POF !!!!!!!!!

The drama will guarantee you an instant hangover ........

PP
 edjoecdn
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2008 8:51:52 PM
LOL,................................

How about changing the subject line to,... how low have some singles lowered the bar ?

Has it been a "regular " thing ? .... You know you don't really like this one or that but she/he likes you or there is "that" chance...

Do ya fake it just for a lil sum, sum ?

How far or for how long would ya,..... see other thread... lol !
 medicgirl911
Msg: 9
Posted: 3/1/2008 10:07:59 PM
I like the Pal too..... other than that I havent found many of interest! .... a lot of them have such a young crowd!
 The Ace in the Hole
Msg: 10
Posted: 3/2/2008 10:34:00 AM
Edjoe,
Not sure where you are going with that post dude. I may not be in the loop here in the Manitoba forums! LOL

Now I remember where I know the name Adonis from! LOL I met a gay dude on here a few weeks ago and we got on the topic of bathhouses and he sent me to this site for Adonis. Had a good chuckle. I had heard the term many times but never really knew what it actually meant until we got to talking about it. I was blown away that something like that actually exists in our little city! Too funny. God bless the glory hole. And no, I don't intend to be visiting one anytime soon. I love the fact that they have fitness equipment and such at these places. Why not buy a membership at a gym?!
 Crashingchloe
Msg: 11
Posted: 3/2/2008 11:07:31 AM
Deuce.....my short lived stay in MB...I really enjoyed Silverodo's....there were certainly a fair number of singles there...mixed age crowd as well....at times they bring in some really good bands as well..

I recall some bar I went to in Transcona a few times with a few of the POFers from here......it seemed busy..again mixed crowd..but I can't recall the name of it...some one else may need to help me out here.....

Lets face it..unless you are willing to stick your neck out and talk to people, it really doesn't matter where you go...you can be in a crowded venue and not speak to a single soul...its really entirely up to you how successful your night out will be....

CC
 The Ace in the Hole
Msg: 12
Posted: 3/2/2008 12:17:00 PM
Chloe,
was it the Silver Spike? Aside from the teenybopper Mybar there isn't much in Transcona. There's Pharoahs at Windsor Park, which is REALLY young too, and then Cowboys which is usually an older crowd. Silverado's is good if you like country, but if you don't and you don't go on a no-country night it's kind of crappy. I agree with you though. If you are there to meet people you need to get into the mix, ESPECIALLY if you are a guy. The women don't just come hoarding to the single men in bars! LOL That is unless you are attentive and look for the cues.
 Danooooo
Msg: 13
Posted: 3/2/2008 5:32:06 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Silverado's has country???
 Crashingchloe
Msg: 14
Posted: 3/2/2008 5:45:23 PM
Danooooo^^^^^^Not very often when I lived there thats for sure...I wish they did...I do recall one night where there was some great country music....was on the floor having a good time......but I think the DJ was playing it... it certainly wasn't the band.....

Deuce..I think you are right about the name of the bar in Transcona..sounds correct anyway....

CC
 The Ace in the Hole
Msg: 15
Posted: 3/2/2008 6:56:10 PM
Silverado's got away from country there for many years after the advent of no country mondays. But the last number of times I"ve been there on a Friday or Saturday night it's been a country band and about 60/40 country/top 40. It's better than cowboys if you don't like country. Cowboys won't play a top 40 tune until after about 12:30 when all the older crowd has either left or is way too drunk to care. Before that they laugh at you for requesting a hip hop tune.
 mrrabbit13
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 3/2/2008 9:06:17 PM
I think Mybar is in that area, the band and music was okay, not too crowd even on weekend... But is it for singles? I don't know. People seems your age there, translated: I feel old... lol
 The Ace in the Hole
Msg: 17
Posted: 3/3/2008 6:20:39 AM
My question wasn't posed to find the best place to MEET singles. You can meet people anywhere you go. All I'm curious is where people like to go to have a good time.
 SmilingOne
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 3/3/2008 6:57:01 AM
The Wood is a bit older than the crowd at the Pal. I find that if I'm drunk and don't look around at the other people too much, I have a GREAT time ... dancing. I guess it's the same at the Spike too. LOL
I brought a friend of mine to the Wood on Saturday night, poor thing thought she was in a geriatric ward. Keep in mind she's only 24.

The bars I used to go to, would probably scare you. And since going to the bar on a regular basis is no longer part of the weekend plans...I go where ever. Except Cowboys. Shoot me if I ever go there again :-|
 The Ace in the Hole
Msg: 19
Posted: 3/3/2008 7:09:22 AM
Where is the Wood? I've never heard of that place, or is it short for something?

I spent my birthday at Cowboys this year. My best friend was dieing to go as he'd heard some good things about it. Was pretty disappointed. I don't mind the odd country tune but that was ridiculous, and it was empty on a Friday night. But I got pretty bent out of shape by the shooter girl feeding me all the JD I could drink for free. I cannot stand the stuff. Ended up being a good night. Not such a great following morning mind you, but a good night!
 SmilingOne
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 3/3/2008 7:11:34 AM

Where is the Wood? I've never heard of that place, or is it short for something

It's the Norwood Hotel in St Boniface on Marion Street.

Some of my friends affectionately call it The Snorewood. teehee
 Funkneewon
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 3/3/2008 7:36:12 AM
"Some of my friends affectionately call it The Snorewood. teehee "

Interesting......I've heard it referred to as "The Borewood"
 SmilingOne
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 3/3/2008 7:39:34 AM
^^ I guess it all depends on whether you're looking at the crowd or referring to the band up on the stage.
My fun comes when the dj plays relatively decent music, liquid courage is in my belly and my feet are moving on the dance floor.
 The Ace in the Hole
Msg: 23
Posted: 3/3/2008 9:05:37 AM
I kind of had a feeling it was short for the Norwood. Being it's in the french community I can imagine it's much akin to a lively Legion! Well, a little more raucous than the average Legion at least.
 SmilingOne
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 3/3/2008 9:19:51 AM

Being it's in the french community I can imagine it's much akin to a lively Legion

Don't kid yourself about the French. LOL
There are other bars in the area, but not knowing anything about you, I'm going to take a stab in the dark and presume that you would not like the other ones anyway. Unless of course you have a penchant for bikers, leather and bad hair.

The Marion is an acquired taste and the B just isn't the same since Franco sold it. Not that he was the reason most of us went there, but all the good bar staff there left as a result.
 Funkneewon
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 3/3/2008 9:22:43 AM
Well, I don't know about legionnaires, but there have been numerous sightings of Puma Concolor (aka: cougar) at the Wood.

Courtesty of Hinterland Who's Who, here's what to watch for:

Normally a silent hunter, the cougar, like any cat, becomes vocal when ready to breed. Female cougars in heat have been seen and heard yowling, in particular when the sound of middle aged men cheesily covering Beatles songs (aka: Free-Ridimus) is heard.

Cougars are extremely elusive and usually avoid direct contact with people. Masters of camouflage, they often remain hidden when approached closely on foot. The decor at the Wood has been specifically designed to provide the ability to blend in with leather pants and leopard print halter tops.

Cougars are polygamous, or may have more than one mate. A resident male usually attempts to maintain exclusive breeding rights with females within his area. Cougars do not breed in any special season, and the young may be born at any time of the year. The male visits all the females he can find, continually searching for those in heat that will accept him. He may travel many kilometres in these searches; one male covered 50 km in a day and a night. Fighting may occur initially, but once individuals are settled on a territory little strife occurs. This peaceful social system helps to maintain stable cougar populations. Those who cannot maintain this peaceful nature are typically banished to the Silver Spike.

Like all cats, cougars hunt more by sight and hearing than by scent. They stalk their prey to within two or three great leaps and then launch a lightning-fast charge that ends with the cougar striking the prey with the full impact of the charge and bearing it to the ground. Especially when the females outnumber the males 3:1 on a Friday night at the Wood.
Show ALL Forums  > Manitoba  > Best bar in Winnipeg for singles