Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Are women sometimes shy around men that they like?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 JWRed
Msg: 1
Are women sometimes shy around men that they like?Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I sometimes feel I may have given up on a girl too early because I thought she was shy or not being open enough around me. Are women somtimes shy around men that they have feelings for? Maybe I need to be more persistent.
 jadegreen
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Are women sometimes shy around men that they like?
Posted: 3/9/2008 8:57:00 AM
Oh definitely....I've been shy many times when I really like a guy...but as you get older you learn to overcome the shyness and talk and stuff...I used to not even be brave enough to flirt when I was in my 20's...sad but true...lol
 llllllllLeah
Msg: 3
Posted: 3/9/2008 9:02:10 AM
Of course they can be. I'm not shy around most people, but the more interested in a man the more shy I tend to be. Working on fighting this though after realizing I've probably totally been scaring off the good ones by pretending to be "cool". Good luck!
 woterlily
Msg: 4
Posted: 3/9/2008 9:18:50 AM
yes, I am shy around men, more so if I am attracted to them. The tete-a-tete, 1-1 makes me uneasy so I babble about everything and nothing.

yeah, in my teens, I would run away from a guy who showed interest, but now I'm one step ahead, I don't run but can't hold their eyes. Be patient, she'll come around.
 mistymoon
Msg: 5
Posted: 3/9/2008 9:47:45 AM
The more I'm attracted to a guy, the more shy I am.After I get to know the person,I become more open and become more comfortable with them.
 cheerupemokidx
Msg: 6
Posted: 3/9/2008 11:06:15 AM
I'm a very shy person in real life. I also get silly nervous habits (I either become really chatty or silent) and I tend to react oppositely to a guys flirting attempts. Its a good thing though, it means I like him/her a lot.
 JWRed
Msg: 7
Posted: 3/9/2008 11:26:15 AM
This is the million dollar question.

How does someone tell the difference between shyness and disinterest?
 Orchid668
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 3/9/2008 11:44:10 AM
Me too...the more I'm attracted to a man, the more of a muted idiot I am! My brain shuts off and my mouth fills up with cotton. It's quite the phenomenon because normally I'm very chatty, intelligent, seriously witty and quite fun. Which makes the whole brain malfunction all the more frustrating!
 yparriss
Msg: 9
Posted: 3/9/2008 11:45:51 AM
she'll come right and say she's not interested. but if she into you, she gets very playful and a little shy. well thats me, anyways.
 rune3
Msg: 10
Posted: 3/9/2008 11:47:54 AM

Shyness involves turning beet red, stammering like a fool and falling over your feet. Disinterest, not so much...
 Orchid668
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 3/9/2008 11:59:31 AM

This is the million dollar question.

Well, with me, if I'm doing the idiot thing, during the date I wouldn't try to leave early because I'm in an epic battle to control my brain and I really want to be around him. Then if, by some miracle, he actually was able to see past my shyness and asked me out again, I'd say yes.

If for some reason I was acting shy during the date, but I wasn't actually interested, I'd make excuses to leave early and would politely decline a further invitation.
 Autumn Marie
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 3/9/2008 12:03:53 PM
Yeup.

I know that I come off shy at first, especially around a guy that I like.
I also know of many other women who are like this, and many who are not.

I have had some guys loose interest in me because I was shy, and therefore I did not appear to be comfortable with them right off the bat, like some women are. I'll be conceited and say it's their loss.

It is definately something I believe that you should reconsider.
 JWRed
Msg: 13
Posted: 3/9/2008 12:05:03 PM

Well, with me, if I'm doing the idiot thing, during the date I wouldn't try to leave early because I'm in an epic battle to control my brain and I really want to be around him. Then if, by some miracle, he actually was able to see past my shyness and asked me out again, I'd say yes.

If for some reason I was acting shy during the date, but I wasn't actually interested, I'd make excuses to leave early and would politely decline a further invitation.

In other words since there is no way to tell, we have to be agressive and deal with being rejected if she is not interested?
 LilyLewis
Msg: 14
Posted: 3/9/2008 12:07:15 PM
As a general rule, I am quite comfortable around men, regardless of what they look like. However, I have this Doctor who is quite handsome, a little too handsome. He is always chatting with me, asking me personal questions and not about my health, it is very clear that he has an interest in me. However, I tend to clam up around him, I tend to purposely disengage myself from him, not sure why I do this. I did tell him once when he suggested that we have a drink, that I thought he might be a little to pretty for me but that didn't seem to bother him. Most of the time I walk out of his office feeling like a school girl.
 nicolette 9
Msg: 15
Posted: 3/9/2008 12:08:08 PM
Good question...how can you tell the difference between him being shy or not interested. Honesty I guess...just find the courage to ask. Better to be disappointed than lonely.
 labrat061
Msg: 16
Posted: 3/9/2008 12:18:57 PM
Well I'd say " YES".... sometimes I find if I'm attracted to a man, I can be a bit on the shy side....other times I can get too talkative.... depends on the guy.. but usually it passes and I relax a bit... dont give up if you really like her. I think for both sexes the first date can be nerve racking...

Diana
 titch_kay
Msg: 17
Posted: 3/9/2008 12:22:09 PM
well, when i went on this date with the lad i am currently with, i was so shy, i hardly spoken just looked at him and if he looked at me i looked away, when we ae shy its hard to make the convosations and u have to bere with us when we are like that. but yer i get shy, as i dont know what too say incase i say the rong thing, so if we are quiet we cnt go rong
 coarlan
Msg: 18
Posted: 3/9/2008 1:49:16 PM
Well some guys out there dont tell you they like you they drop hints, unfortunately i'm not very good with hints, and i'm not very good at chatting guys up who i like.
 btj_rv
Msg: 19
Posted: 3/9/2008 2:21:01 PM
It would not be normal for them not to be. Some men are the same way. I'd say that half the people online that get contacted probably wouldn't offline without the comfort of their computer. I believe there are way more introvert people online then it seems.
 El_Mariachi
Msg: 20
Posted: 3/9/2008 3:34:40 PM
Do bears poop in the woods?
 curlygrl
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 3/9/2008 3:48:59 PM
Shy? they can be mortified. Oh please-
Give them a chance. No not be more persistent-
be more PATIENT. Dont be on a time table. Let it flow.
 simplywhatever
Msg: 22
Posted: 3/9/2008 5:05:11 PM
I can be really shy around guys I like. I also tend to ramble and not make eye contact as much as I normally would. I try to be funny, but usually my jokes become lame ass, and not funny, and I have a hard time showing my silly side(which is my fun side) Its just a matter of being comfortable around someone, once Ive hung out with them a time or 2 then they usually see a completely different side of me.
 jadegreen
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 3/9/2008 8:39:36 PM
Actually you could describe me as quiet and reserved when I really like someone...or if I'm really comfortable around them...i am quiet
 Dumpling-Girl
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 3/9/2008 8:55:28 PM
Yah. It happens to me. It's a bit unfortunate actually. I am probably more charming and entertaining when it's someone I'm not attracted to. Oh well. I get like this:
 GeneralizingNow
Msg: 25
Posted: 3/9/2008 9:51:03 PM
Yes, we are, for the same reasons sometimes men are: insecurity and hope and pain avoidance.

Sometimes you are afraid to get what you want.
You're afraid to let them know you want them because the rejection would be too much from THIS person.
Or you're afraid if you show your "true self" that that won't be good enough and this person that it matters about will walk away.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Are women sometimes shy around men that they like?