Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Daylight savings time for third shift workers      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 The_garbageguy
Msg: 1
Daylight savings time for third shift workersPage 1 of 1    
I've never worked third shift so it has never happened to me. It seems that in the spring when you set the clocks ahead at 2 am third shift workers get 8 hour of pay for 7 hours of work. In the fall they would have to work 9 hours and get only 8 hours of pay. This would even out if the worked all year third shift, but some people move to another shift. How do companies handle this situation?
 WhosDrunk?
Msg: 2
Daylight savings time for third shift workers
Posted: 3/10/2008 10:55:01 AM
In the spring they get screwed out of an hours productivity where the workers gets over on the company by one free hours of pay...

In the fall they screw the worker back out of that hour...

Or maybe they compensate the worker an extra hour or just stop production...
 Love Akitas
Msg: 3
Posted: 3/10/2008 12:20:43 PM
They should just get rid of it totally.
Keep the longer days where the sun can provide the most productive light and the environment can benefit too.
 summerbout
Msg: 4
Posted: 3/10/2008 1:17:04 PM
I dont know about all companies, but I know with the one I work at they go into the payroll in the computer and make the adjustments, after the person signs in and out after the shift. I doubt any company is going to be too willing to pay their employees an extra hour , unworked. Especially a company that has many many employees.
And I would assume they also go in when the person is losing the hour and make the same adjustment, reversed.

One good thing about daylight saving time is we know Spring is almost here.
 Ddc758
Msg: 5
Posted: 3/10/2008 2:55:48 PM

Keep the longer days where the sun can provide the most productive light and the environment can benefit too

The day is still only 24 hrs long. We just shifted the clocks so that we moved a hour of daylight from the morning to the evening.
As for 3rd shift workers, I have first hand experience, I just started a new job, working for the largest ag tractor manufacturer in the world, and any one working over the weekend clocked in and out after working the normal # of hours you were supposed to work and then the supervisor's had to make adjustments to the time sheets.
Another occupation that DLST makes a headache for is OTR drivers. Can only drive 11 hrs in 14 hrs and then need to take a 10 hr break. DOT regs state that when time change occur that a driver willnot change their clock time until after their 14hr on-duty time and then must take 11hr off-duty break.
 RSwindol
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 3/10/2008 4:08:32 PM
It would seem fairly straight forward to me since one gets paid by the hour, not by the time. Eight hours is eight hours any way you slice it. The only thing that would be tricky is the documentation of the time. But even that seems to be a small situation.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Daylight savings time for third shift workers